Start by marking “Demon Moon (Prof Croft, #1)” as Want to Read:
Demon Moon (Prof Croft, #1)

Demon Moon

(Prof Croft #1)

Everson Croft here, professor of mythology and behind-the-scenes wizard.

Show me an amateur conjurer, and I’ll stop him before he gets himself killed.

That’s the idea, anyway. But New York City isn’t what it used to be, and I don’t mean the recent crash.

Amateur casters are calling up creatures they shouldn’t be able to. And there’s been a murder at the city’s most hallowed c
Published July 30th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Demon Moon, please sign up.
Richard no no no no no no no no no just no . this book does have something of a feel of that masterpiece book. but they are nowhere in the same league as each…moreno no no no no no no no no just no . this book does have something of a feel of that masterpiece book. but they are nowhere in the same league as each other it's like comparing a gun to a nuke one has the power to affect a few people lives they other has the power to rock your world and continue affecting you long after the explosion. (less)
Richard if it was stolen it was poorly done. in the Dresden Files magic is explained and understood, there is a lot of world-building going on in those books.…moreif it was stolen it was poorly done. in the Dresden Files magic is explained and understood, there is a lot of world-building going on in those books. this book they didn't explain anything and it needs to be explained so when the hero does something extraordinary we can Marvel at the hero's cleverness because we understand what it took to make it happen. this was just somebody trying to make two different things fit together professor and pi and there wasn't much professoring in going on. besides Dresden never needed that much saving, if Dresden was as stupid as this guy, he never would have made it passed book one.
every time he was in Mortal Danger something step in to save his life his mentor his cat his ring. Dresden never had that much help in his life .(less)

Start your review of Demon Moon (Prof Croft, #1)
Gergana
Nov 02, 2017 added it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Is there ever going to be an Urban Fantasy book with a male lead that doesn't get compared to the infamous Harry Dresden? (although, personally, I prefer Alex Verus)

Two things you should know:
1. Yes, Everson Croft will probably remind you of someone you've already read before, and
2. No, he won't be as cool and original as **insert favorite UF character here**.

Nevertheless, Demon Moon is actually a pretty good fix for an Urban Fantasy junkie such as me and, although the plot, characters and worl
Logan Horsford
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Much like Harry Dresden - lacking only

the competence
the style
the edge
the intelligence

It's like watching someone's less talented brother wallow through the case.
Jonathan Wilson
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars

Has Potential.
Steven
There are great books and there are bad books. There are good books and mediocre books and within all those different levels, there are sublevels.
- There are lazily mediocre books (the works of William Massa)
- There are crazily mediocre books (the works of Simon R Green)
- And there are the eager-to-please mediocre books (The Iron Druid series)
But never in my life have I encountered a book as confusingly mediocre as this. Demon Moon by Brad Magnarella reaches a whole new level of medicore I neve
Meredyth Winter
Aug 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Familiar territory

I read this book and all I can say is that it seems like an off brand version of the Dresden series. Way too many similarities, and phrases. Tried to like this book but did not.
M
Apr 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Warning: This review is long and contains spoilers for both Demon Moon and some Dresden Files books.

After reading a ton of the Dresden Files I decided to take a break from the series and see how other authors do paranormal detectives as this is a genre that I feel has great potential. So after plumbing the depths of goodreads, I settled on book one of the Professor Croft series.

I was really excited at the start. It's a contemporary series, the cover art looks phenomenal, and I was eager to start
Melissa Jane
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
After reading the prequel and both Blue Wolf books by the author I was excited to read about Prof Croft. What a letdown. Not only did he emulate Dresden Files throughout, but the MC was kinda, well, boring. Not to mention apathetic about his job, a whimp when dealing with his possessed cat, and just kind of unorganized with a lack of self preservation at times. There were good moments but these were followed rather quickly by rip-offs from the aforementioned Dresden Files. I refuse to waste my t ...more
Lara
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure to win a copy of the audio version of this book. The narrator did a very good job, especially with the male voices and emotional content. The story itself follows a down-on-his luck wizard who comes from an illustrious (dark) family. He is a good guy, but seems very good at getting himself into fixes. He is something of a behind-the-scenes magical savior in a world that is not aware of magic. He also tends to work alone and not tell anyone he works with about his true circumst ...more
Minx
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this story entertaining and for fans of The Dresden Files or the Alex Verus you will either love it or hate it. It is very similar to both series with a few differences. I am not bothered by the similarities as I love both of those series and find this type of writing to be just entertaining.

This urban fantasy is set in NYC and Professor Croft is a single guy who is a professor by day and a demon hunter by night. This story is action packed, fast paced and has some decent world building.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ
O.M.G. This was sooo good. I haven't read anything this good in awhile. Well deserved 5 stars. This was long with 50 chapters, but not once was I bored. It was action packed. It was intense. It was amazing!! And it's what they're calling Urban Fantasy. Kinda Indiana Jones meets Wizarding world of D&D.

NOTE: This is the only book(s) I've read on Kindle Unlimited that I've loved so much, I'm buying the paper copy to reread and to make it easier to share with my son.
Cindy
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Closer to a 3.5
My ratings are based on how quickly I read/finish a book. This one took me a while. I also found myself skimming a lot. I will continue with the series and hope that I get sucked in a bit more as I read it.

Part of the problem is that it starts out very much as a Dresden knockoff. Wizard protecting the city from demons. The Elder council doesn't trust him because of a mistake made in his youth. A talking familiar. There are a few other parallels that made me think this was going t
ragulau
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Now you can track all the times you have read a book. Make sure to fill in the year finished to have it added to your Reading Challenge! Now you can track all the times you have read a book. Make sure to fill in the year finished to have it added to your Reading Challenge! Now you can track all the times you have read a book. Make sure to fill in the year finished to have it added to your Reading Challenge! Now you can track all the times you have read a book. Make sure to fill in the year finis ...more
Sara Constance
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Everything but the kitchen sink

I gave this book three stars because I'm a sucker for magic, humor and a murder mystery. That being said there are a few flaws, I think the author put everything that can make a book exciting into one book; it was too much. Asian street gangs, punk rockers, vampires, and more! I think some of the ingredients could have been edited out, but all in all it was a decent quick read.
Arthur O'dell
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Very similar to the Dresden Files, but this isn’t a bad read. It’s also quick too. It helped that I read the prequel The Book of Souls before reading this one. I’m going to read the next one in hopes that it differentiates itself more from Dresden.
Kendra
A busy book, lots of twists and turns, but felt hurried. Main character was a bit scattered, but I did enjoy how it came together and will be diving in to the next book.
Joanne
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i liked it a lot. Tbh, Dresden changed a bit much...not a detective series anymore, so can't compare to this style... Hopefully this writer will stay trrue.
Wayne Turmel
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I eat these books like Jelly Beans. They're fun and quick reads for those summer days you don't want to take on the world.
Rev Gary
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
My fourth Brad Magnarella book and it was awesome. Great character development. Looking forward to reading another one.
Jordan
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not the best or most compelling urban fantasy/occult detective novel, but it was certainly enjoyable and a fun read!
Heather Rizkallah
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Always love books with magic and this one includes demons. Nothing is better that reading a book when the mage works for the police. All because he had a history of criminal actions
Kristen
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
(Audiobook review)

I love urban fantasy. I love wizards. I love those things put together. <3

It's really hard not to make the obvious comparison here. Yeah, this one immediately reminded me of my favorite urban fantasy wizard. Other reviewers will tell you the same. There are similarities. There are a lot of similarities. Whether you love it or hate it because of that is up to you. Those similarities seem to intrigue some people and give others a distaste. It seems to vary from person to person.
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
Wipe good ol' Harry out of your mind.
If you make comparisons to Dresden, then you are doomed to hate this.
But, if you can give it a clean slate, it's pretty good.
There is a lack of word building in areas. You can visualize everything really well, but some things are thrown out there without explanation. Such as water and it's effect on magic.
Now...remember, I'm wiping Dresden out of mind, and trying not to compare it to any other magic weilding books. We all know from other books that water effe
Angela
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are lots of comparisons, favorable and not, of this book to the Dresden Files. My opinion is that it lifts elements of Dresden (electronics' sensitivity to wizards, an attached demonic entity, and a magical model of the city, for example) but it has a less somber tone and recalls early rather than later Dresden. Everson Croft has a professorship, lives in a nice apartment, and has modern amenities, unlike Dresden's hardscrabble and completely pre-modern lifestyle. The setting is New York a ...more
Carro
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Good fun read. Bounced along. It has all the tropes - not everyone knows about magic or that the main character is a wizard, he has a possessed cat - so it talks and has attitude, there is a council of wizards who don't entirely like or trust the main character, MC's magic is fairly well done. He is also an academic so can do his own research. There is a colleague he fancies, a cop who doesn't trust him.
What might be a bit of an inconsistency - the world went to shit because of magic, so this i
Gareth Otton
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
There's not much to say about this book really. I enjoyed it, but as with so many urban fantasy novels out there, it's basically a rip-off of the Dresden Files.

There are so many similarities between this novel and Jim Butcher's famous work that it was incredibly hard to look past that to the story itself. To be honest, that story was a little thin as well, not to mention quite cheesy at times. But it was easy reading and fun at the least.

So the question is, should you read this? My answer, in
Cecilia
Dec 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
NOPE! A big NOPE! I really wanted to like this book...maybe it was the narrator (I listened to the audiobook), but this story definitely did not meet expectations! Maybe I am being biased and have been spoiled by the Dresden Files and James Marsters but I won't be moving forward with this series!

Kristy Maitz
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
After going thru the whole story plot I have to admit that I was not impressed with it. Why not? Because Author "Brad Magnarella" took almost 80% of it from Dresden Files books.

So, its was okay read but my time spent on it was not satisfied.
Melindeeloo
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
3 + stars = I liked it. This good guy wizard, is hip dip in doo doo and the level is rising for much of the book. The ending is promising for things getting better for him, hope so.

This was entertaining in audio, too bad book two isn't available in that format.
Julia
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable beginning to an urban fantasy/paranormal mystery series. It's not breaking new ground but it is doing a good job with existing tropes.
Olivia
”Here,” she said, clipping a plastic card to my coat lapel, the big NYPD letters stamped in yellow.
“Am I being deputized?”
She frowned. “This way.”

Before going any further, I wanted to make note that this book (at least at the time of this review) is available on Kindle Unlimited to read for free. This was the medium I chose to read this book.

I’m a tremendous fan of the Dresden Files. In fact, my first experiences with the urban fantasy genre were reading ”Storm Front”. After that, I was hoo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Moonlight Druid (Colin McCool #3)
  • Tombyards & Butterflies (Montague & Strong Case Files #1)
  • Druid's Due (Colin McCool, #8)
  • Blood is Thicker (Montague & Strong Case Files #3)
  • Druid Mystic (Colin McCool #10)
  • Full Moon Howl (Montague & Strong Case Files #2)
  • Junkyard Druid (Colin McCool #1)
  • Graveyard Druid (Colin McCool #2)
  • Druid Apprentice (Colin McCool #9)
  • Druid Vengeance (Colin McCool #7)
  • Lost Soul (Harbinger P.I., #1)
  • Druid Enforcer (Colin McCool #6)
  • Silver Clouds Dirty Sky (Montague & Strong Case Files #4)
  • The Golem (Montague & Strong Case Files #10)
  • Bullets & Blades (Montague & Strong Case Files #7)
  • Cunning Devil (Lost Falls #1)
  • Night Hunt (Harbinger P.I. #9)
  • Underground Druid (Colin McCool #4)
Brad Magnarella writes urban fantasy for the same reason most read it - to explore worlds where vampires and shifters walk city streets, magic crackles from fingertips, and the faerie realm is only a wish, curse, or seductive kiss away. It's shamelessly fun.

A child of the '80s, Brad enjoyed a steady diet of comic books, D&D, epic fantasy, and Stephen King, which conditioned his young mind for the

Prof Croft (8 books)
  • Blood Deal (Prof Croft, #2)
  • Purge City (Prof Croft, #3)
  • Death Mage (Prof Croft, #4)
  • Black Luck (Prof Croft #5)
  • Power Game (Prof Croft #6)
  • Druid Bond (Prof Croft #7)
  • Night Rune (Prof Croft #8)