Start by marking “Demon Moon (Prof Croft, #1)” as Want to Read:
Demon Moon (Prof Croft, #1)

Demon Moon

(Prof Croft #1)

Everson Croft here, professor of mythology and behind-the-scenes wizard.

Show me an amateur conjurer, and I’ll stop him before he gets himself killed.

That’s the idea, anyway. But New York City isn’t what it used to be, and I don’t mean the recent crash.

Amateur casters are calling up creatures they shouldn’t be able to. And there’s been a murder at the city’s most hallowed c
Published July 30th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Demon Moon, please sign up.
Richard no no no no no no no no no just no . this book does have something of a feel of that masterpiece book. but they are nowhere in the same league as each…moreno no no no no no no no no just no . this book does have something of a feel of that masterpiece book. but they are nowhere in the same league as each other it's like comparing a gun to a nuke one has the power to affect a few people lives they other has the power to rock your world and continue affecting you long after the explosion. (less)
Richard if it was stolen it was poorly done. in the Dresden Files magic is explained and understood, there is a lot of world-building going on in those books.…moreif it was stolen it was poorly done. in the Dresden Files magic is explained and understood, there is a lot of world-building going on in those books. this book they didn't explain anything and it needs to be explained so when the hero does something extraordinary we can Marvel at the hero's cleverness because we understand what it took to make it happen. this was just somebody trying to make two different things fit together professor and pi and there wasn't much professoring in going on. besides Dresden never needed that much saving, if Dresden was as stupid as this guy, he never would have made it passed book one.
every time he was in Mortal Danger something step in to save his life his mentor his cat his ring. Dresden never had that much help in his life .(less)

Gergana
Is there ever going to be an Urban Fantasy book with a male lead that doesn't get compared to the infamous Harry Dresden? (although, personally, I prefer Alex Verus)

Two things you should know:
1. Yes, Everson Croft will probably remind you of someone you've already read before, and
2. No, he won't be as cool and original as **insert favorite UF character here**.

Nevertheless, Demon Moon is actually a pretty good fix for an Urban Fantasy junkie such as me and, although the plot, characters and worl
Logan Horsford
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Much like Harry Dresden - lacking only

the competence
the style
the edge
the intelligence

It's like watching someone's less talented brother wallow through the case.
Jonathan Wilson
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars

Has Potential.
Meredyth Winter
Aug 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Familiar territory

I read this book and all I can say is that it seems like an off brand version of the Dresden series. Way too many similarities, and phrases. Tried to like this book but did not.
Melissa Jane
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
After reading the prequel and both Blue Wolf books by the author I was excited to read about Prof Croft. What a letdown. Not only did he emulate Dresden Files throughout, but the MC was kinda, well, boring. Not to mention apathetic about his job, a whimp when dealing with his possessed cat, and just kind of unorganized with a lack of self preservation at times. There were good moments but these were followed rather quickly by rip-offs from the aforementioned Dresden Files. I refuse to waste my t ...more
Lara
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure to win a copy of the audio version of this book. The narrator did a very good job, especially with the male voices and emotional content. The story itself follows a down-on-his luck wizard who comes from an illustrious (dark) family. He is a good guy, but seems very good at getting himself into fixes. He is something of a behind-the-scenes magical savior in a world that is not aware of magic. He also tends to work alone and not tell anyone he works with about his true circumst ...more
Steven
There are great books and there are bad books. There are good books and mediocre books and within all those different levels, there are sublevels.
- There are lazily mediocre books (the works of William Massa)
- There are crazily mediocre books (the works of Simon R Green)
- And there are the eager-to-please mediocre books (The Iron Druid series)
But never in my life have I encountered a book as confusingly mediocre as this. Demon Moon by Brad Magnarella reaches a whole new level of medicore I neve
Minx
I found this story entertaining and for fans of The Dresden Files or the Alex Verus you will either love it or hate it. It is very similar to both series with a few differences. I am not bothered by the similarities as I love both of those series and find this type of writing to be just entertaining.

This urban fantasy is set in NYC and Professor Croft is a single guy who is a professor by day and a demon hunter by night. This story is action packed, fast paced and has some decent world building.
M
Apr 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Warning: This review is long and contains spoilers for both Demon Moon and some Dresden Files books.

After reading a ton of the Dresden Files I decided to take a break from the series and see how other authors do paranormal detectives as this is a genre that I feel has great potential. So after plumbing the depths of goodreads, I settled on book one of the Professor Croft series.

I was really excited at the start. It's a contemporary series, the cover art looks phenomenal, and I was eager to start
Cindy
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Closer to a 3.5
My ratings are based on how quickly I read/finish a book. This one took me a while. I also found myself skimming a lot. I will continue with the series and hope that I get sucked in a bit more as I read it.

Part of the problem is that it starts out very much as a Dresden knockoff. Wizard protecting the city from demons. The Elder council doesn't trust him because of a mistake made in his youth. A talking familiar. There are a few other parallels that made me think this was going t
ragulau
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Now you can track all the times you have read a book. Make sure to fill in the year finished to have it added to your Reading Challenge! Now you can track all the times you have read a book. Make sure to fill in the year finished to have it added to your Reading Challenge! Now you can track all the times you have read a book. Make sure to fill in the year finished to have it added to your Reading Challenge! Now you can track all the times you have read a book. Make sure to fill in the year finis ...more
Sara Constance
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Everything but the kitchen sink

I gave this book three stars because I'm a sucker for magic, humor and a murder mystery. That being said there are a few flaws, I think the author put everything that can make a book exciting into one book; it was too much. Asian street gangs, punk rockers, vampires, and more! I think some of the ingredients could have been edited out, but all in all it was a decent quick read.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ
O.M.G. This was sooo good. I haven't read anything this good in awhile. Well deserved 5 stars. This was long with 50 chapters, but not once was I bored. It was action packed. It was intense. It was amazing!! And it's what they're calling Urban Fantasy. Kinda Indiana Jones meets Wizarding world of D&D.

NOTE: This is the only book(s) I've read on Kindle Unlimited that I've loved so much, I'm buying the paper copy to reread and to make it easier to share with my son.
Joanne
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i liked it a lot. Tbh, Dresden changed a bit much...not a detective series anymore, so can't compare to this style... Hopefully this writer will stay trrue.
Kendra
A busy book, lots of twists and turns, but felt hurried. Main character was a bit scattered, but I did enjoy how it came together and will be diving in to the next book.
Heather Rizkallah
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Always love books with magic and this one includes demons. Nothing is better that reading a book when the mage works for the police. All because he had a history of criminal actions
Jordan
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not the best or most compelling urban fantasy/occult detective novel, but it was certainly enjoyable and a fun read!
Kristen
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
(Audiobook review)

I love urban fantasy. I love wizards. I love those things put together. <3

It's really hard not to make the obvious comparison here. Yeah, this one immediately reminded me of my favorite urban fantasy wizard. Other reviewers will tell you the same. There are similarities. There are a lot of similarities. Whether you love it or hate it because of that is up to you. Those similarities seem to intrigue some people and give others a distaste. It seems to vary from person to perso
Angela
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are lots of comparisons, favorable and not, of this book to the Dresden Files. My opinion is that it lifts elements of Dresden (electronics' sensitivity to wizards, an attached demonic entity, and a magical model of the city, for example) but it has a less somber tone and recalls early rather than later Dresden. Everson Croft has a professorship, lives in a nice apartment, and has modern amenities, unlike Dresden's hardscrabble and completely pre-modern lifestyle. The setting is New York a ...more
Carro
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Good fun read. Bounced along. It has all the tropes - not everyone knows about magic or that the main character is a wizard, he has a possessed cat - so it talks and has attitude, there is a council of wizards who don't entirely like or trust the main character, MC's magic is fairly well done. He is also an academic so can do his own research. There is a colleague he fancies, a cop who doesn't trust him.
What might be a bit of an inconsistency - the world went to shit because of magic, so this i
Cecilia
Dec 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
NOPE! A big NOPE! I really wanted to like this book...maybe it was the narrator (I listened to the audiobook), but this story definitely did not meet expectations! Maybe I am being biased and have been spoiled by the Dresden Files and James Marsters but I won't be moving forward with this series!

Melindeeloo
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
3 + stars = I liked it. This good guy wizard, is hip dip in doo doo and the level is rising for much of the book. The ending is promising for things getting better for him, hope so.

This was entertaining in audio, too bad book two isn't available in that format.
Kristy Maitz
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
After going thru the whole story plot I have to admit that I was not impressed with it. Why not? Because Author "Brad Magnarella" took almost 80% of it from Dresden Files books.

So, its was okay read but my time spent on it was not satisfied.
Julia
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable beginning to an urban fantasy/paranormal mystery series. It's not breaking new ground but it is doing a good job with existing tropes.
Lori
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Great start to a series. This is the first book by Brad Magnarella that I have read. I have been missing out.

Very entertaining, engaging and enjoyable story. It's one of those stories that pulls you right in, but at the same time it builds slowly while keeping your full attention and as soon as it's over you want the next book.

Great cast of interesting and enjoyable characters. Professor Croft was a great character. Many times the MC is unlikable or is just flat. That kills a story fast. That i
Amy McK
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Everson Croft is a wizard teaching an obscure course in a New York midtown college. Croft is brought in as a consultant on a homicide case, and soon realizes a surge of demon summoning is linked to the brutal murder. What's worse, his day job is in jeopardy.

I can see why people compare this to the Dresden books. A wizard struggling to pay the bills, a huge urban setting, a cat, a female detective starting a special investigation division enlisting said wizard's help, a shadowy Order overseeing a
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
Wipe good ol' Harry out of your mind.
If you make comparisons to Dresden, then you are doomed to hate this.
But, if you can give it a clean slate, it's pretty good.
There is a lack of word building in areas. You can visualize everything really well, but some things are thrown out there without explanation. Such as water and it's effect on magic.
Now...remember, I'm wiping Dresden out of mind, and trying not to compare it to any other magic weilding books. We all know from other books that water effe
T.J. Jansen
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Moderate Spoiler Alert

So, I need to almost leave 2 separate reviews for this book. On its own, its fairly entertaining. The writer knows what he's doing, and it had good bones. The problem is that its such a blatant copy of the Dresden Files that I'm surprised it hasn't caused a lawsuit. Wizard hiding in plain sight in the big city has work trouble, is looked down on by his secret magical society, but then is called in by the police dept to help with a strange murder. Oh and he has a giant cat..
GP
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not exactly breaking new ground in urban fantasy but still well written

I admit I'm a sucker for anything featuring NYC, in addition to my urban fantasy jones. Professor Crofton is a combo of everyone's fave wizard, H. Dresden and Indiana Jones. The scrapes are exciting. Our hero is weirdly dumb at key moments to propel the story and of course, there's a secret body out there protecting mundanes from magic. Which is my largest quibble. Magic has messed up this NYC. Very obvious, lethal and availa
Vintagebooklvr
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Yes this is similar to other urban fantasies with a male lead but I have never read is so many reviews that have compared this series to another series. There are so many more urban fantasy series with a female lead that are similar to one another than this and I never read so many reviews complaining about it.

So judge this one on its own merits. I enjoyed it. It was fast-paced, full of action and the ground work for lots of detailed world-building have been laid. Hopefully, more information ab
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Dark Magic (Harbinger P.I., #3)
  • Evolution (The Divine, #5)
  • Twisted Sister of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #5)
  • Shattered (Hidden, #3)
  • Taste (Ava Delaney, #5)
  • Dead Man and the Army of Frogs (Dead Man #2)
  • White Heart (Merrydian's Gate, #1)
  • Blood Crossed (Netherworld Paranormal Police Department #1)
  • Demon Rogue (The Half-Demon Rogue, #1)
  • Centaur of the Crime
  • Cookies, Curses, and Kisses (Blue Moon Bay, #1)
  • Of Blood and Magic
  • Fire Sorcerer (The Sentinels #1)
  • Straight on Till Morning  (The Student Prince, #2)
  • Bloody Acquisitions (Fred, the Vampire Accountant, #3)
  • A Fistful of Fire (A Madison Fox, #2)

Prof Croft (6 books)
  • Blood Deal (Prof Croft, #2)
  • Purge City (Prof Croft, #3)
  • Death Mage (Prof Croft, #4)
  • Power Game (Prof Croft Book 6)
  • Black Luck (Prof Croft, #5)
“A little advice, Snodgrass? Next time you want to crap on someone, try pulling your pants down first.” 0 likes
“And he will appear unto mortal eyes as saintly, and earnest and righteous will seem his pleas, but do not be ye deceived, for he ariseth from the darkest pits and bringeth death and ruin.” 0 likes