Start by marking “The Sailweaver's Son (Sky Riders of Etherium Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Sailweaver's Son (Sky Riders of Etherium Book 1)

Read Book

The Sailweaver's Son

(Sky Riders of Etherium #1)

The Sailweaver's Son combines traditional fantasy with a dash of steampunk and takes readers to the world of Etherium, where mountains rise like islands above a sea of clouds and adventurers travel the sky in sail-driven airships.

When fifteen-year-old Tak rescues the survivor of an airship destroyed by one of the giant flammable gas bubbles mysteriously appearing in the s
Published July 30th 2016 by Silver Leaf Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Sailweaver's Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sailweaver's Son

Beth Cimo
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First let me start by saying that I read purely for pleasure! I want to experience the emotions of the characters I am reading about…love, hate, happiness, sadness, anger, pride, loyalty, compassion, bravery, pain. I felt all of these emotions, and more, while reading this enchanting story.

The Sailweaver’s Son is a story of a young boy’s coming-of-age in a fantasy world of airships, wizards, and other strange beings. Tak and his friends are forced to make some very grown-up decisions knowing the
Venus
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on Children's Atheneum

Etherium is an air world, with mountain top cities and great seas of clouds transversed by great sail-driven airships. Fifteen-year-old Tak is the son of a prominent sailweaver, which grants him a good deal of freedom. Some in the royal court would say too much. Take likes to sail his small airship near the big naval ships, which often gets him into trouble with their captain. Until the day Take witnesses a giant gas bubble rise up from the depths a
Anya
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really fun adventure story in a realistic steampunk/fantasy setting.
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

When I was a child, I once read a fantasy book about airships. It was amazing, and for years afterward, I fantasized about a vast world where people could travel in airships, and cities existed in the clouds. The Sailweaver’s Son brought those memories back to me, and reminded me of that fantasy world I had once imagined – except this time around, it has some steampunk elements, and it’s called Etherium.

World building
Christine Cimo
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“The Sailweaver’s Son,” by Jeff Minerd proves to be a captivating, lucid and well-crafted art of fiction. “The Sailweaver’s Son,” offers a vivid and unique fantasy world where friendship, hardship, reality, and humor blend deeply and intricately – melding into a compelling narrative that one finds hard to ‘put down.’

The story follows the journey of a young teenaged boy named Taktinius (Tak). Similar to most teens, Tak grapples to understand who he really is, what is his purpose, what are his str
Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~
My full review goes live Nov. 26th, right HERE: https://escapingrealitybookreviews.wo...

I don’t give out six star ratings very often. It takes a very special book to receive my highest of ratings, and Sailweaver’s Son was completely worthy of it! This book automatically ranks among Percy Jackson and the Ranger’s Apprentice/Brotherband series’ as one of the single best MG/YA books ever.

The world building was exquisite, and unlike any concept I’d ever read before. I also think this book did a be
Laura Ruffino
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
A fantastic tale! The characters come to life and you can't help but be caught up in their adventure. You can relate to all the emotions Tak goes through and you just feel like you are part of his life. Now we have to anxiously await book #2...sigh.
Eileen
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, local
The Sailweaver's Son is first in a YA steampunk fantasy series set in an alternate world called Etherium, where humans live high in the mountains and travel in airships due to an unusually dense atmosphere. There are also dragons, flying jellyfish, and wizards who live on floating islands. The lower regions are inhabited by a humanoid race known as the Gublins, who are held in fear and suspicion by the human kingdoms for their alleged habit of eating children.

15-year-old Tak is the son of a hig
Teenreadsdotcom
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
In Etherium, a land above the clouds, 15-year-old Taktinius Spinner, the son of a recognized sail spinner, rescues a survivor of a ship explosion caused by mysterious flammable gas bubbles. News of the rescue spreads quickly. Some start to accuse Tak of treason while his father grounds him for his recklessness. As another attack strikes fear into the hearts of the people, they suspect this is the work of the Gublins, his people’s sworn enemy. To clear his name and solve the mystery of the gas bu ...more
Pittsford Community Library
We were provided an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Sailweaver's Son depicts, fifteen year-old Tak Spinner's journey and efforts to try and prevent war from erupting between the underworld creatures called the Gublins and Tak's kingdom of Spire.

Being someone who is not a big fantasy book fan, I actually thoroughly enjoyed the book. Tak's bravery and courage is not only inspiring for younger readers but also very realistically depicted in this fictitious world. The im
Ann
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a totally engulfing story that keeps you on the edge of your seat. With clear descriptive narratives, the characters and settings come to life. It is a YA book that has positive messages of courage and loyalty and doing the right thing that is interesting for adults as well. You don't want to put it down, but you also don't want it to end either. Looking forward to the next book in the series!!!
Nick
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

There's a lot of really interesting stuff going on in this book, I just wish there was more detail to it! The world the story takes place in is unique and airships rule the skies. There's a brief explanation of how airships work, but I could use more detail within the text.

On the plus side, it's non-stop action. The book is very fast paced and the characters are all compelling.

It's a good read for a weekend.
Jack White
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was quite a fun book to read. The world is fascinating, the characters are likable, and the writing is entertaining and witty.
Kathy
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I won this book on Goodreads.

I enjoyed this story. The characters were well-described and interacted well with each other. The settings and the animals were fantastic and made me want to visit. The book contained adventure, comedy, drama, and tragedy. I thought I was reading a typical coming-of-age action story. I never imagined I would be bawling by the end of the novel. I can't wait to read the further adventures of Tak and his friends.
Craig M
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Jeff's imagination takes you onto a wondrous journey from which you don't want to come back. Etherium is vividly created through well crafted writing with rounded characters and settings. Would definitely recommend.
Luke
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent young adult fantasy story set in mysterious sky-world.
Deena Lipomi
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books-read
Tak is riding his airship over Etherium when he sees an explosion on a royal battleship, which leads his people to believe they are under attack by their old enemies the Gublins, but after meeting the underground creatures, Tak tries to clear up the mistake before war breaks out. The world of Etherium is fully realized, and the airships and creatures of the skies are great visuals. Tak is a hero with a conscience, and while more scenes staying in his point-of-view would've helped solidify his ch ...more
Christine G. Adamo
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In a word? THE SAILWEAVER'S SON is "astonishing."

It's remarkable on a number of levels - not the least of which is the fact that it's Minerd's first official offering in the realm of full-length, Sci-Fi/Fantasy fiction. Written primarily with Young Adult readers in mind, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it effortlessly crossed over into territory that made it both engaging and entertaining fare for those of us pushing (ahem) 50.

To say that I loved it? Is an understatement. The chacters a
Christine
Sep 11, 2016
Aly
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great adventure with a great character! I enjoyed this book very much. A young teenaged boy named Taktinius takes a journey and took me along for the ride. I had a great time in the pages of this book. * I received this book from the author---this is my honest review*
STARGAZER
Gerry Minerd
Feb 07, 2017
Kelly Schneider
Jan 31, 2018
  • Reawakening (The Passage of Hellsfire, Book 3)
  • Gifted (The Hayven Series #1)
  • The Zochtil (Almek Manning, #1)
  • The Jewel of Kamara
  • Princess of Athelia: An Unfinished Fairy Tales Novella
  • Forecast
  • The Strings of the Violin (The Hadariah Chronicles #1)
  • Fiona Thorn and the Carapacem Spell
  • The Travelers
  • Lunula (Irador Series, #1)
  • Join Up (Island Series, #3)
  • Teachings of Thomas S. Monson
  • Sins of the Fallen (Sins of the Fallen #1)
  • The Six Days
  • From Frights to Flaws (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, #1)
  • Liminal Lights
  • Little Miss Evil
  • Miyuki (Unusuals, #2)
Jeff Minerd’s first YA fantasy novel, The Sailweaver’s Son, was published by Silver Leaf Books in 2016. SFF World called it “a sweet coming-of-age tale in an enthralling world, mixing epic fantasy with a dash of steampunk that includes sailing airships, exploding gas-bubbles, and floating islands!" It was a semi-finalist for the 2017 Kindle Book Awards and has more than 100 reviews on Amazon.

His n