Start by marking “The Woman at Number 24” as Want to Read:
The Woman at Number 24

The Woman at Number 24

A house holds the hearts of the people who live in it. Under the roof of The Blue House, a now shabby but previously grand Georgian villa in West London, the subdivided space is home to five separate families and five very different lives.
Sarah has just divorced her husband, Leo, and she's feeling bruised and lonely. And it's not helped by the fact he has moved in with
Published April 20th 2017 by Simon Schuster UK

To ask other readers questions about The Woman at Number 24, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman at Number 24

Start your review of The Woman at Number 24
Rachel Gilbey
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

In Notting Hill, there is a rather special property, its not obvious from the outside, put for the people at number 24 it is home. And over the course of The Woman at Number 24, you will get to know all the residents in this house, see how they all interact, and perhaps even become more than just causal acquaintances.

Meets the characters of number 24.

At the top of the building is Sarah, she is trying to recover from discovering her husband having an affair, their divorce, and then a
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This story centres on the people who live in the apartments at number 24. Sarah is the main character and through her we get to know the other residents also.

There is a whole package of different characters, some more likeable than others. Sarah and Mavis had to be my favourite. Sarah is someone who could be any of us. She has had a lot go on in her life and I loved her strengths and vulnerability. Mavis is your classic nosy old neighbour who likes to know all the going ons and whose tolerance
Jessica
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book is jam packed! Lots of little individual stories going on for the handful of characters that live in different floors of one big house.

Its not long before you are really familiar with the characters and get attached to their stories.

I think its lovely how we see all the friendships bloom and how they all pull together and get through rough patches. They all seem to look out for one another. Some of the characters going further and getting romantic with one another.

Just a
Kim
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, net-galley, kindle, n
I absolutely loved this book. It was about the residents who live in a house in Notting Hill. Sarah lives in the top flat and recently became to her ex husband who remarried and lives in a lower flat. You can imagine the emotions that evokes.
We get to see how all the characters interact and how their stories develop. Sarah is a child psychologist and one little girl in the house is selective mute. We wonder what is behind her story and whether Sarah will be drawn in. Mavis lives in the basement
Shirley Revill
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance
I really enjoyed reading this book and stayed up way too late to finnish the story.
The woman at number 24 is based on the lives of the people who share the house which is now made into flats.
Everyone has their own story and secrets but it is with getting to know each other that a community is born.
Very well written with lots of surprises along the way. Highly recommended.
Cressida McLaughlin
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stunning book, one of my favourite this year. When I finished it my heart was both full and empty - I never wanted it to end.
Margaret Madden
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
A Georgian villa in Notting Hill. A mixed bunch of residents. A houseful of stories. Sarah lives on the floor above her ex-husband and his new wife. She is supposedly renovating their apartment, in order to sell and split the proceeds. In reality, she is in denial and struggling to move on. When Tom and Jane move in to number 24, the atmosphere rises a notch and the residents are soon enamored with the enigmatic young couple.

Tom is an instant hit with Sarah, showing his gentle nature in his
Emma Star Crossed Reviews
This review was originally posted on Star Crossed Reviews I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Thank you to Simon and Schuster for my copies of this book. I received both a paper and digital copy of this book. I switched between the two as my kindle is easier when I’m on the move.

I first heard about this book at the Spring Blogger Evening 2017 and SJ mentioned a quote that when
Sharon
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
3.5 stars. Enjoyed it but didn't love it.

Felt the romance aspect between Tom and Sandra was rather lacking and the twist re Jane and Tom took far too long to resolve. What on earth she sees in her ex is a mystery and him living the floor below with his new wife was a weird set-up.

The story would've benefited from being 100 pages shorter and having more Tom, a character who was seriously underused.
Steph
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Chose this book as I thought it would be a nice easy read. It was so annoying! The author has put twists in the story but some were ridiculous. I skim read the last quarter of the book as I'd had enough.
Fabulous Book Fiend
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness, everything that could possibly happen inside Number 24 literally does happen. This is a book packed full of twist, turns and dramatic revelations and that made for some fast-paced, Page-turning reading for the entirety of the second half! Number 24 is a house split into flats in Notting Hill and each of the residents, or former residents in these flats each have their own dramatic story lines going on but Sarah, who lives in the flat at the top of the building and is the titular ...more
Linda Hill
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Divided into flats, number 24 has some interesting characters including Sarah, whose ex-husband Leo lives with his new wife Helena in the flat below.

I think one word will suffice for my review of the Woman at Number 24 – wonderful. Or maybe fantastic. Or possibly outstanding. Hmm. As you can tell, I utterly adored this read.

What I loved was the sense of traditional unities so that there was a wonderful coherence to the story. I loved the fact that there was a straightforward time scale that
Simona
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
*Book provided by the publisher on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

This book is all about the people living in a rather special house, number 24. we get introduced to all of these characters quickly and they are a great and diversified group.

First up we have Sarah, who’s husband cheated on her, they are divorced and he just got married to his affair. She is also mourning the loss of her friend Smith. Sarah is the main character in this story.

Then we have Leo, Sarah's ex husband, who
Rosie Amber
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Woman At Number 24 is a mix of romance and contemporary women’s fiction. The story is set in Notting Hill and begins in 2016. Number 24 is a series of flats and Sarah lives at the top in Flat A. She has recently attended the wedding of her ex-husband, who now, bizarrely, lives with his new wife in the Flat B, below Sarah.

Down in the other flats, there are new residents moving in, plus a single mother and daughter, and rude, grumpy Mavis.

This book is about Sarah and her relationship with the
Lisa
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-bookshelf
I think this book is worthy of a 3 1/2 star rating.
The story is of residents living in a converted house in London. Each resident has their own secret, which are slowly revealed throughout the book. With a sprinkle of smiles, a touch of sadness and a few “ahh” moments this book makes a nice easy read.
Isabella May
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning!

A cleverly devised tale, packed to the rafters with wonderfully eccentric characters and the richest, most decadent language. Some hugely witty moments too, yet this is a story with incredible depth. Quite different to anything I've read before. I'm looking forward to more by this author.
Mary
Oct 14, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2018
A nice story but,for me,one that was missing some essential ingredient that would have rendered it more compelling and satisfying.

While I enjoyed the various ways their lives entangled with each other and the wonderful twists that I happily didn't predict,I thought it somewhat repetitive.
Sabrina
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
While I enjoyed how the ensemble cast was fleshed out throughout the book, the denouement was a trainwreck. Why practically start three new stories and start to rush through them while you're trying to wrap up your A plot?
Samantha Tonge
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written and a real page-turner. Wonderful characters and a well constructed - literally! - setting. Would have been five stars but, for me, too many of the reveals during the latter half of the book felt a little contrived and unbelievable. Still recommended.
Vicki Bowles
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the publishers, Books and the City at Simon & Schuster for the exciting exclusive extract and then to them and Netgalley for the ARC.

You see so many big properties, once so grand, divided up into individual flats. I always think it's a shame; ripping the heart and character out of a home. But then it becomes home to more people, allowing room for more characters and their relationships to develop.

Number 24 is home to several inhabitants, including Sarah, and somewhat awkwardly,
Rachel
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having read Juliet Ashton’s previous novel I was looking forward to her next book as I adored ‘These Days of Ours’, especially when I received and read the sampler.

It sounded quite a light read but it was much more emotional and mysterious than I expected. This only added an extra layer of depth, to what was already a pretty fantastic book. It is so easy to read and find yourself consumed by this book, so much so I stayed up till the early hours of the morning, unable to put it down. While most
Damelapin
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
With the length of the book, i was afraid I'd get bored. But I haven't been, all characters are different and interesting. It's a really cute story
Sara Clifford-gray
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I had this book on my TBR list for a while, and all my book worm friends had read it, and it was getting great reviews, so I was quite excited to eventually clear the other books on the list, and peel open the pages.

I couldn't have been more disappointed. The story is about a house in Notting Hill and the group of residents that live behind the net curtains. The main character Sarah lives in the attic of the house as the stories of the residents unravel beneath her, unfortunately for her, one of
Claire Mc Partlin
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well.... this was quite a surprise. I expected something quite light about residents of a house, and it was, but it was also so much more. There were so many twists that I just didn't see coming, it made for a really compelling read and kept me gripped throughout the story.

The main story is about the residents of No.24 Merrion Road and there are quite a few characters to figure out initially, but it doesn't take long to get a handle on who lives where. The characters live in a large Georgian
Marjorie
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with this book, I just found it to be nothing to write home about. The characters are clearly written but the main character Sarah comes across, to me at least, pretty bland and fairly unlikeable. She is a bit of a doormat and I find it difficult to meld her profession, child psychologist, with her inability to do anything other than take people at face value time, after time. Surely someone who deals with personality issues and mental health issues created ...more
Joan
This turned out to be a much longer book than I had realised and I ended up skimming the last third.

The plot was a tad too complicated in some respects - too many people, too many 'twists' , too many 'misunderstandings', but the writing was rich and deep and although I may have struggled with some aspects, the characters were fully fleshed out and came alive on the page. Mavis in particular was perfect.

(view spoiler)
Miriam Smith
Won in the Goodreads Giveaways
Tina Tacey
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Filled with romance, friendship and a little intrigue, this may be one of the best chick lit books I've read in a while. It wasn't purely a feel good, romance, easy-to-read straightforward novel. It was so much more and I will definitely be recommending this book in the future.

I really liked this book, Sarah annoyed me sometimes in her naivety, and willing to accept her ex-husband, and what she wanted to get from him. But I can understand and see why she would act like this, her situation must
Jess
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
This review was originally posted on my blog ladybookdragon.com

It has been a long time since I have read a book with so many twists and turns and so jam packed with storylines, I loved it! This book I got a while ago as a freebie on Apple Books and since reading it I have downloaded another of Ashton’s books to read in the near future.

The book’s main character is Sarah but also in my opinion the house itself is an integral character. The house is located in Notting Hill and is made up of flats.
Juliet Bookliterati
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Every now and then I do like reading a nice easy book with good characters and story line that isn't too taxing, andThe Woman at Number 24 fits this criteria perfectly. The plot follows the main character, Sarah, as she comes to terms with the loss of her marriage and her crisis in her belief of herself as a child psychologist. Through her relationship with the other residents we are privy to her thoughts and feelings as she tries to come to terms with her situation. Anyone would feel for her ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Rest of Me
  • Rachel’s Pudding Pantry
  • The Year of Surprising Acts of Kindness
  • The Things We Do for Love
  • The Corner Shop in Cockleberry Bay (Cockleberry Bay, #1)
  • The Wildflowers
  • Things I Wish I'd Known
  • Summer at Coastguard Cottages: A feel-good holiday read
  • Summer at the Kindness Cafe
I write books. I'm an introverted extrovert, a homebody who loves going out, a nosey parker who can keep secrets. I live by the Thames. My study feels like the centre of the universe. I share my house with Matthew, who writes songs and composes film music in his studio upstairs, and our daughter, Niamh. Two dogs sleep at my feet all day, Mavis and Zelda, both pedigree idiots.

I'm five foot six,
“We all share the sadness of loss. Unless we never love. And that would be an even greater loss.” 0 likes