Start by marking “Abwesende Feinde (Star Trek: Titan)” as Want to Read:
Abwesende Feinde (Star Trek: Titan)

Abwesende Feinde

(Star Trek: Titan #8)

Eine E-Novelle zur Serie Star Trek – Titan, die auf die dramatischen Ereignisse folgt, die in der Serie Star Trek – The Fall erzählt wurden.

Der kürzlich zum Admiral beförderte William Riker und die Mannschaft der U.S.S. Titan werden nach Garadius IV beordert. Der Planet ist Riker nur zu gut von einer misslungenen Friedensmission zu Zeiten, als er noch der Erste Offizier de
Published July 25th 2016 by Cross Cult (first published February 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Abwesende Feinde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abwesende Feinde

Start your review of Abwesende Feinde (Star Trek: Titan)
Alejandro
Really good short story!

This is short story of "Star Trek: Titan" set right the aftermath of the book event "The Fall", but it does not developed anything directly related to that event.

THE PAST KINDA COMES BACK

The short story can be considered a loosely sequel to "The Next Phase" that it's a TV episode from Season 5 of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

And while they are not part itself about the story, there some references to Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and
Mrklingon
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Fun Titan excursion by Miller - Star Wars author, now Trek!
C.T. Phipps
Oct 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much to say about this one. It's a short novel about how the Titan gets stuck on a peace mission to deal with two intractable, almost childish, races that have wiped out 90% of each other's populations but are mostly just rude individuals that only let the Federation "mediate" because they're also repairing their life support machines.

This feels like a story that required the Prime Directive because the Federation almost certainly would have let these people fight it out until they were act
Nis
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK followup to two descent TNG episodes. Good filler.
F. William Davis
More like this! Take a crazy idea that was all wrapped up in a single episode and explore other potential applications... this was great.
Christopher
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A.J. Blanc
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absent Enemies is an e-book novella between books 8 & 9 in the ST: Titan series. I can't say much about the series as a whole, since I've only read the last two books, but I've very much enjoyed what I've experienced thus far with USS Titan and its crew.

Like the two final two full-length books, Absent Enemies follows up on a beloved ST: TNG episode, in this case The Next Phase, and the plot of that episode becomes a significant highlight here. One of the many nitpicks of that episode was how som
Bookreader1972
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a eBook novella. It is a short quick read. It is also only 3 stars. The plot has a nice twist, but the protagonists are so stupid. I paid $2.99 on kindle to read this, felt slightly ripped off.
Nancy Spencer
Good book, but they are in an area of space that is so unfamiliar and keeps folding in on itself, it's hard to imagine. There are lots of aliens on the ship and it is really hard to keep track of them all.
Jamie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly not the greatest of the Star Trek Titan series but ok
Elliot Weeks
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this e-novella. It really felt like an episode of the Titan series we never got!
Scott Williams
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novella doesn’t really bring anything new to the franchise. It sort of sequelizes a couple of TNG episodes. Nevertheless, it’s a quick, diverting read.
Mike McDevitt
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun follow-up to the rollicking adventure of 'The Next Phase'. ...more
Stephen
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Star Trek: Titan – Absent Enemies is the perfect way to spend an evening lost in the realm of sci-fi. Author John Jackson Miller weaves a fun little tale involving Admiral William T. Riker and the crew of the starship Titan as they deal with a situation on Garadius IV. There’s action, mystery, science, flashbacks and humor, providing readers with a little bit of everything. Even if you’re not familiar with The Next Generation or Titan eras, this is a story you can still dive into and enjoy.

Set i
Maurice Jr.
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another blast from the Enterprise past rears its head, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Titan is withdrawn from a standoff with the Breen and sent to Garadius IV, home to two intransigent races, the Ekorr and the Baladonians. 17 years ago, Commander Riker tried in vain to help Captain Picard broker a peace between the two races. Now Admiral Riker is tasked with returning there to ensure no Typhon Pact influence on the planet (or attempts to harvest the rich mineral deposits in the Gradian oceans).

They
Michael
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Absent Enemies is a quick paced novella of part action and part political thriller that delivers. This is a shorter piece that does not develop any of the characters, but shows them interact together to solve a problem in an enjoyable manner that even Picard had failed to do. We are even treated to a Next Gen flashback that expands on an episode from the series. The center is about the hows and whys of phasing technology. Should it be developed? How do you guard against it? It's a great topic th ...more
Gunny T
Jan 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fan Fiction at Its Worst

The author's choice of characters, setting, and source material are questionable at best. The enemies aren't the only thing absent in this story, the entire book is void of excitement. As a long time fan of TNG, I couldn't help but feel that the author preyed upon one of the worst, most nauseating storylines in the series: Riker and Troi's relationship. Those two characters serve absolutely no purpose to the story, and could have easily not been included. Actually none of
Dorthea Kemp
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This book is a fairly quick read and takes the Star Trek universe back to exploration. While the task presented is difficult and has action, it also has humor and has Riker falling back on his strengths. Less diplomacy and more action. He's smart, funny and doesn't second guess himself. What a wonderful and refreshing book after the Destiny and Typhon Pact story arcs. I hope the writers keep in this direction. It is possible to have mystery and secret conspiracies along with fun.
Highly recommend
Dan
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: titan, star-trek, e-books
A tightly-plotted and fun little story that is very much in the spirit of classic Star Trek. A good start for John Jackson Miller's Star Trek adventures. And it has been reported that Miller will be writing a full-length Trek novel to be released in 2015. After reading Absent Enemies, I am very much looking forward to more from him!

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2014/02/a...
Emma
Mar 30, 2014 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This is a short ebook only novella and as such I read it in one sitting of less than two hours. I liked it but did find it a bit lacking in plot. However given it's length it worked well. I just missed the secondary plot lines Star Trek books usually have. Worth reading if you're a Titan fan like me but not required - and definitely not the one to start with if you're just discovering the Titan books. ...more
Krista D.
I'm of two minds about this book. First, I enjoyed the length, the characters, etc. However, I just didn't care about these people. Genocide, disappeared, missing, murdered...I just did not care about them at all.

But the story was good, the writing was enjoyable, and it was worth taking an afternoon to read.

So the 3 stars is really because I didn't care about folks involved. The normal characters (Vale, Riker, etc) were great.
Scott Allen
I've never read a Star Trek piece before and I feel like this novella was a good introduction to the Star Trek book universe.

This was like a decent TNG Episode. Not an awesome one, but a middle road one.

Another plus was how quick a read it was. Miller keeps the action moving by changing scenes and characters often. It keeps the tension up and helps you want to keep turning the pages.
Carol Gibson
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tv-and-movies
I am fan of the Star Trek Titan novels. This is a novella that takes places after the Typhon Pact series.

It also uses two events from Star Trek Next Gen TV series. The episode with the Pegasus and the episode where La Forge and Ro get phased into another space by the Romulans.

It was fun light read with a lot of humor and good characterization of the Trek characters we all know.
K.D. Shepherd
Enjoyable story line from a new Star Trek author, though Miller is no stranger to writing Sci-Fi! Had me laughing quite a bit. In parts, I just wanted to choke the inhabitants of the planet. Star Trek books, for me, are so much fun because they keep characters from the shows alive and continue their stories long after the last credits roll by on the big screen.
Miket01
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A short, decent adventure without much depth. Kind of a cool concept extending from an old TNG episode, but an awful lot of time is spent trying to ground the pretty dodgy science. That stuff is best hand-waved away.
Frank
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good short story

It's worth reading for fans of Titan or Next Generation. This book takes a story thread from the TNG episode where Ro & LaForge get phased. I'm glad they discuss breathing and walking while phased.
Javier Luiso
Feb 24, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't like the Frodo's XL ring version. And Ekorr reading Tolkien? ...more
Joe Crawford
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reads like a great episode of TNG. Was a lot of fun, and I hope Mr. Miller will be revisiting the Star Trek universe again soon.
Elizabeth
Writing itself was not terrible, but the plots in the series grow more contrived and uninteresting as time goes on.
Janet Bullock
Interesting. It was somewhat "compressed"
(As I find most e-novellas) and it could have had just a little more, but it was a rounded story. It was good.
Goodreads Librari...: Absent Enemies Book Cover 3 13 Feb 28, 2014 08:13PM

• Fortune of War
  • Q are Cordially Uninvited...
  • Peaceable Kingdoms (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • Rules of Accusation (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Missing
  • The Dark Veil (Star Trek: Picard #2)
  • In Tempest's Wake (Star Trek: Vanguard, #9)
  • Lust's Latinum Lost (And Found) (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Summon the Thunder (Star Trek: Vanguard, #2)
  • Sacraments of Fire (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • What Judgments Come (Star Trek: Vanguard, #7)
  • Open Secrets (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)
  • Precipice (Star Trek: Vanguard, #5)
  • Ascendance (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
New York Times bestselling author John Jackson Miller has spent a lifetime immersed in science fiction. His Star Trek novels include the Discovery – Die Standing, the acclaimed novel Discovery — The Enterprise War, the Prey trilogy, and Takedown. His Star Wars novels include A New Dawn, Kenobi, Knight Errant, Lost Tribe of the Sith, and the Knights of the Old Republic comics, available from Marvel ...more

Star Trek: Titan (10 books)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)
  • Sword of Damocles  (Star Trek: Titan, #4)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)
  • Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Fortune of War