Start by marking “My Mother's Wish: An American Christmas Carol” as Want to Read:
My Mother's Wish: An American Christmas Carol

My Mother's Wish: An American Christmas Carol

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Something strange is brewing
at the Comeback Café

A grandfather’s song has turned a diner into hallowed ground. A contrary girl with a gypsy heart feels the tug of home. And a truck driver named Jedidiah keeps his foot on the gas, ready to sweep you into an unforgettable story of belonging and grace.

It’s the 1960s Midwest, and Ellee Crumb wants to change the world, starting
Published September 16th 2008 by WaterBrook Press

To ask other readers questions about My Mother's Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Mother's Wish

Nadine Keels
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
A punchy and heartwarming little tale if I ever read one.

Pretty much, Ellee and her mother have always seen anything but eye to eye, and they're both in need of a new awakening to love for Christmas in My Mother's Wish: An American Christmas Carol by author Jerry Camery-Hoggatt.

Though I'm likely to grow tired of a sarcastic protagonist who merely comes off as proud or bratty, Ellee has an unapologetic tendency toward wry exaggeration that I took to and could even smile at.

Now, though I was aware
Penelope Bartotto
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
My Mother's Wish: An American Christmas Carol is a perfect little treat of literature for any reader. A pocket book that I grabbed over a year ago in one of my many bookstore raids, I reached onto my reading shelf and this came up. Humorous and yet emotionally touching it made me giggle and cry. Camery-Hoggatt simply hit the nail on the head, and made a shining star that need not be limited to the holiday season for a read. Yes, it happens at Christmas, but the story being told is relevant all y ...more
Barb
Jan 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book although it was way too short. It was written through the exagerated thought processes of a middle school girl and I found that I think like she did - I enjoyed following it (like the three armed waitress who didn't really have three arms but doesn't it seem like some really good waitresses do)?

Read it - it's quick and quirky.
Stacy
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-won
A small book, quick read at Christmas, but not what I normally like. It has a good message, but it was a little too quirky and much too short for me. I couldn't get invested in the characters before it was finished.
Darbyscloset
Nov 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feel-good
Story of a female teen who matures emotionally during one Christmas season. Through her experience she learns about the love her life does hold, from and for others. This book will bring you smiles, giggles and make your eyes water just to the brink.
Karencita
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO UNEXPECTED... and EXCELLENT! I loved it, and you will, too! It's on my GIFTS TO GIVE list this year!
Carli
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Amusing and brilliant. I wish this were a full-length book because I loved the character of Ellee so much.
Karen
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A funny, quick read!
Becky
Nov 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book but wished the author would have written more. I felt like it ended a little too abruptly. Very cute though!
Betsy
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Approaching Neil Gaman weird, but really quick story.
Marla
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Didn't enjoy this - strange
Regina
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas-books
short and sweet
 Emmy's Grammy (Susan)
This was unusual, and ok...nothing to get too excited about.
Elaine
Apr 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
Good ending.
Pat
Apr 02, 2009 rated it liked it
I found this book confusing. I wasn't sure if it was telling a real story of a fantasy.
 Barb Bailey
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas, 2013
A sweet little Christmas book, read in 1 hour ! Also a good book for Mothers Day !
Donna Jo Atwood
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ellee has never been the Eleanor that her mother wants her to be. She has struggled all her short life to be who she really is, to the point that she has run away. Now it's time to run to.
Shaleen
Dec 28, 2016
Alissa
Nov 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday
This story was a little bizarre at times but was a nice short holiday tale.
Andrea
Dec 18, 2009
Jamie
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
My husband's great-aunt sent us this story. It's a cute, simple, heartwarming read.
Beajae