Start by marking “Daniel the Draw-er (Daniel the Draw-er, #1)” as Want to Read:
Daniel the Draw-er (Daniel the Draw-er, #1)

Daniel the Draw-er

(Daniel the Draw-er #1)

This is an alternate cover edition for B00JAXJF86

"This is no ordinary pencil,” says the cat sitting on the end of nine-year-old Daniel’s bed. "It's magic."

Everything Daniel draws with his pencil--flying dragons, Octobears, and pizza-loving aliens from the planet Beezo--comes to life. It’s pretty awesome until the pencil draws a line between Daniel and his best (and only)
Published July 2016 by Amazon Digital Services (first published March 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Daniel the Draw-er, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daniel the Draw-er

Kim
I absolutely loooooove this book. Daniel the Drawer is S.J. Henderson‘s debut MG. There are so many things to love about this novella. Let me sum it up in list format:

1. It’s a quick read. Not just because it’s a novella, but because of the non-stop action. At no point does the pace lag or the plot slow down. Daniel is on one adventure after another.
2. The voice is amazing. Really, truly stellar. S.J. has nailed the nine-year-old male voice. I absolutely love the way Daniel describes his world,
Vanessa K. Eccles
I absolutely adored this tale of a nine-year-old boy and his magic pencil. It's a story of growing up, learning how to share, and developing friendships. Daniel, the quintessential boy, doesn't like homework or meatloaf, so he sets out to draw and thus create his own pizza making, math homework doing machine - the Pi-zzabot. Who wouldn't want that?

Throughout the story, he and his only friend Annie create many fun objects and creatures that spur the imagination and keep readers wondering what the
Henry Sheppard
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Pi-zzabot. A pizza-making robot. Now you’re talking!

Here’s a story, full of imagination, childhood angst, and maybe a small lesson. Pizza. Bullies. An imaginary cat and assorted aliens. Pizza. A tomboy. And Daniel, a real boy, navigating life one crisis at a time, including a pizza overload complication.

I still want to know how the author determined that it takes eighteen pizzas to reach one’s limit. Is there another story there?

* Note: This was book was provided free to me in exchange for an h
Shari Tapscott
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! I like to read things through before I give them to my eight-year old son, and I was instantly hooked. Daniel is funny and imaginative, and I just love his voice.

My son started cracking up within minutes of starting the book, and he continued to quote passages out loud. He especially loved the 'bubble aliens'.

I highly recommend this book, especially if you have boys ages 7-10. It's funny enough they will actually want to read it.
Faith
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was an amazing read. It has magic in it, which is one of my favorite things to read about. Lots of creativity in this book. It teaches kids an important lesson about sharing.
Barbara Ann
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Daniel loves to draw, but he is a loner. He has one good friend in school, Annie. She is a tomboy who suits him fine. Every day Daniel’s mother asks if he has made any new friends, but Daniel is perfectly happy spending his time with Annie, and working on his favorite pastime, drawing. At home, Daniel is tormented by his sister, Lila’s, boyfriend, Tommy.
One day, Daniel breaks his pencil while drawing and goes searching for a replacement. He finds a pencil stump in the attic. When he begins drawi
Anindita,  A Bohemian Mind at Work
I have received an ARC copy in exchange for my honest review.
The review has originally appeared in A bohemian mind at work.
I liked the books so much that I have purchased them from Amazon
I read middle-grade books a long time ago. Recently, I have started reading bedtime stories to my daughter. When I found this book, I wondered if I would like it or even finish it. Not only did I finish it, but I have also thoroughly enjoyed it.

S.J. Henderson has taken us back to our childhood by unleashing the
Angela Burkhead
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daniel is a draw-er. Or at least according to his sisters dense, and a bit rough, boyfriend he is. Daniel prefers the term artist, but he's not about to set the record straight. His arm is too sore and sure to fall off from all the "buddy" punches he receives on a regular basis. Daniel keeps his head down and uses stealth mode (Armadillo!) to stay out of his sister's boyfriends way.

Daniel also has one friend, Annie, and that's all he believes he needs. His mom pressures him to make new friends,
Sara Burr
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the mother of a boy who is just starting to read chapter books on his own, this book is right up his alley. I can't wait to share it with him. He really enjoys the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, and I think this falls right into the same camp with humor that is much less gross. I had no question that I would be giving it five stars.

I listened to the audio version of the book, and although the audio reader's voice wasn't my favorite, especially for Daniel, once I got used to that, I thoroughly e
Angela Lambkin
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I give this book five stars for such a great children's' book of the adventures of Daniel and his magic friends he created
with a special magic pencil that he found after throwing out the one and only pencil he happened to have after breaking the point while drawing. He asks his sister if she had a pencil he could have and she said "no" so he went up to their attic and
searched around it looking for one, when low and behold he finally spots a pencil among other items left up there and most of it
Katie Hamer
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book for children aged six and upwards, and also for those who are kids at heart!

We see the world through the eyes of Daniel, a quirky nine-year-old boy, as he discovers a magic pencil in his attic. This is indeed no ordinary pencil, for whatever Daniel draws takes on a life of its own. His creations include Octobear, half teddy, half octopus, and Pizza-bot, a robot who can make pizzas whi
Elise Abram
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nine year old Daniel likes to draw. When he finds a magic pencil hidden in the attic, the things he draws come to life. He shows the pencil to best friend Annie who gets jealous and stops speaking to him. Poor Daniel is heartbroken; he misses her terribly and his newly drawn "friends" don't fill the void. Will Annie ever forgive him? What will happen if anyone ever finds out about the creatures he draws turned real?

Daniel the Draw-er was a quick and whimsical read. Like most children, Daniel has
Cynthia Rodrigues
Full and detailed review at http://cynthology.blogspot.com/2015/0...

Daniel the Draw-er is a charming book for children that holds appeal for grownups too. Written as the first person present tense account of Daniel, the book is sure to appeal to readers. Nine-year-old Daniel is a remarkable voice. He has just the right mix of naiveté and the ability to see through the pretense of the adults around him. He makes observations about adults, how they are supposed to be smart, but aren’t always. How
Aaron Wyckoff
This book sounded interesting and I was excited to receive a copy of it through First Reads. Unfortunately, it was not all that I had hoped. Overall, the writing was okay, but rather coarse. It seemed too rigid and formal in many places, and some of the dialogue felt stilted. The plot was simple and direct, with few deviations or subplots. While part of that has to do with it being a lower middle grade book, it was more than that. I was not surprised by anything that happened in terms of the und ...more
Rohi Shetty
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I liked best in this book is the unique narrative voice of Daniel - he's exceptionally funny without trying too hard. I started this book and then I couldn't put it down. It's full of funny one-liners and twists and turns. Also, great cover.

Some of my favorite lines in this book:

"If I owned a cape I would make sure it flapped in the breeze behind me the whole time, but capes weren’t on the shopping list for school clothes this year."

"...Annie always smells like peanut butter and wears her b
Teressa
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"One of the Cutest Children's Stories I've Heard"

DANIEL THE DRAW-ER was incredibly cute with adorable characters. He's actually an artist who'd drawn a white cat that came to life and began talking to him. The cat's name was Whiskers and he told Daniel that his pencil was magic. In fact all his characters had come to life in this incredibly cute story. There's also something to be learned here about friendship.

S. J. HENDERSON is a terrific children's author. I love listening to children's books
Lisa Tortorello
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book to read! As a teacher, I come across "reluctant readers" quite often. Daniel the Draw-er by S.J. Henderson will certainly grasp the attention of those readers.

Daniel's mom thinks it's important for Daniel to make some new friends, but he is very happy with having one friend, his very best friend, Annie. Annie is a down-to-earth fun character who isn't afraid to get dirty, eat worms, or hang around with a boy. And, in this day and age of technology, it is nice to read about a boy
Julie Sarff
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Checked this out from the Kindle Lending library. Both and I my son enjoyed it quite a bit. It had a certain nostalgic appeal to the way it was written. The two main characters Daniel and his good friend, Annie, reminded me a little bit of the couple at the beginning of UP. As many reviews have pointed out, Danny has a magic pencil. Everything he draws comes to life and causes a lot of mischief. I especially liked Whiskers, the cat and I enjoyed the part in the book where the little boy decides ...more
Cynthia Port
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun and witty read! Daniel is stuck between wanting total control over the magic pencil he has found and wanting to keep his only friend, who desperately wants to borrow it. His mother would like him to have more than just one friend, but how can you top a girl who will eat worms on a dare? In the meantime, he deals with his big sister’s mean boyfriend and has adventures with the creatures he creates. My 8 year old got a kick out of the many predicaments Daniel got himself into, and I ...more
Karen
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With Daniel the Draw-er, S. J. Henderson has created a wonderful children’s book. Daniel learns that actions have consequences, and that friendship is a valuable gift. Daniel the Draw-er is a heart-warming and fun read – there are no lags. I was drawn into the story right away. I felt quite close to the characters and their experiences. All characters were believable, still leaving room for the readers’ imagination. Daniel the Draw-er is a great story not only for children – a truly enjoyable re ...more
Sandra Lopez
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daniel is a witty, frank, and precocious boy with a wild imagination. Then a magical pencil allows him to draw anything to life. This reminds me of the lovable story, Harold and the Purple Crayon.

Daniel and Annie embark on a crazy adventure. Sometimes the things Daniel came up with were too far-fetched and silly. For example, SAP (Super Amazingpants)???? Fighter of Crimes of Fashion? Of course, not all drawings worked out.

A great, fun story for kids! A quick and easy read!
Scott Collins
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with my 11 year-old son, Daniel. I thought it was fantastic. The grammar and language use is perfect for the target audience, it's fun, funny, exciting (at least at an appropriate level for middle grade), and teaches some great morals. It's a pretty quick read (I finished it in about an hour), so it should even work well for kids who have trouble sitting still. I'd recommend it for the 4th-6th grade crowd, or thereabouts.
Shaun Griffiths
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
S.J. Henderson's "Daniel" is a super book. Quite unique, though it did remind me of the Magic Bed series.Great adventures (remember the times we explored the hidden places we were barred from) lots of action and excitement, and subtle messages for our young persons, definitely not in your face which can often ruin some children's stories. It's humorous, imaginative and artiistic in it's own right. Well done Ms Henderson, I'll be happy to recommend this book. ...more
Katy
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a well-written story of friendship for young readers about nine-year-old Daniel, his best friend Annie, and a magic pencil that brings to life whatever Daniel draws. Great fantasy that I wish I could have read as a child!
Kristin
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic read! SJ Henderson really knows her stuff of getting into the mind set of a 9-year old boy. Daniel's dialogue is spot on and really funny at times. I found myself laughing out loud many times. The imagination of both the author and writer is wonderful!!!
Melissa
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a funny story with a message about friends. I fell in love with Daniel and his story, so I shared him with my sons. They loved the story as well, and I loved the laughter they had when I read it. Hope there is more to come!
Liz Haverstick
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable story. Daniel's mishaps, adventures, and lessons are relatable to kids of all ages. I can't wait to read it to my 5 year-old step-son, and I know my 7 year-old step-daughter will devour it.
Maria
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was adorable! The voice, the drawings, everything! I don't read much MG anymore, but this quick and awesome read was worth it! I laughed out loud and really enjoyed it the whole time. Now I want my own magic pencil :)
Courtenay Grabowski
My eleven year old son read this. He says, "It is well written and funny. Sometimes I would like a little more detail, but overall I really enjoyed the book. I am glad that I read it and will share it with my friends!"
Karen Mahara
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such witty fun. A world where anything is possible and families are irritating. Easy to connect to. Lots of laughs. :)
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combine two books 7 14 Feb 12, 2015 07:14AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine two books 3 19 Nov 01, 2014 07:53PM
When S. J. was little, she enjoyed writing stories and sharing them with her friends. Of course they were ridiculous, and, of course, she was supposed to be doing Math homework instead. However, those old stories lit the spark for sharing words with others. S. J. still avoids Math homework, and hopes you like her books more than fractions and decimals.

S. J. lives with her husband and four boys on

Daniel the Draw-er (2 books)
  • Daniel the Camp-er (Daniel the Draw-er #2)