Start by marking “Hotel Valhalla Guide to the Norse Worlds: Your Introduction to Deities, Mythical Beings & Fantastic Creatures” as Want to Read:

(Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard)

For Magnus Chase: Hotel Valhalla Guide to the Norse Worlds will whet readers' appetites for The Hammer of Thor.

It is a 176-page, smaller format book with black-and-white illustrations throughout. Helgi - the hotel manager - created this book for each hotel guest, so that he wouldn't have to answer so many questions at the front desk.

It has short entries about the deities, mythical beingdesk.

ItThor.

It

Published August 16th 2016 by Puffin

Start your review of Hotel Valhalla Guide to the Norse Worlds: Your Introduction to Deities, Mythical Beings & Fantastic Creatures
Raoofa Ibrahim
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myth
back again to this world..

more information about the Norse Gods and Goddess
description description
Mythical beings (Giants, Elves,Dwarves,..)
back again to this world..

more information about the Norse Gods and Goddess
description description
Mythical beings (Giants, Elves,Dwarves,..)
description

and the fantastic creatures(Fenris wolf, Otis and Marvin,..)
----
reading this series will be easier.. because of this percious book!
Connor
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does this really add much to the overall Magnus Chase/Norse world? Not particularly. But was it tons of fun? Heck yes. Can't wait to jump into the second book now!
Sara Saif
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-like-you-a-lot

As Loki himself would have said:

With the release of The Hammer of Thor a few days away, it was nice to be able to revisit Magnus Chase's world without having to re-read the first book. I was a actually a bit concerned about this. Norse mythology is extremely vast and also a little "difficult". Consider Tanngnjostr, Ginnungagap and my personal favourite Hlidskjalf; which is what you get if you smack your head against your keyboard a few times. Not only are these impossclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
With

Jessica
Breezy guide to the Norse gods and major myths, as they pertain to the Magnus Chase series. The characteristics of the gods are fairly straightforward, but the myths are all referenced in things like interviews, instructional guides, and even some raps. Also a lullaby or two. Nonsense, unless you've read the first Magnus Chase book, but super fun if you have.

Also, it's directly leading up to book 2, which I didn't realize (I have already read book 2), with sort of a running gag/ongoing series o
✨ Kaira ✨
I SOMEHOW EXPECTED TO READ NORSE MYTH STORIES...not introduction. 😭
These were like common knowledge. Sorry.
Farah Cook
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun and quick read for those who need a quick introduction to Rick Riordan's Magnus Chase series. It's a solid guide to the Norse gods and their world with illustrations. It also explains the world tree Yggdrasil, and the nine worlds. The book is more for kids, as it's easy to understand and for those seeking some more sophisticated information about Norse gods should read Neil Gaiman's "Norse Mythology"

For readers interested in Viking themed books and Norse Mythology,"City
lauren ♡ (wonderless reviews)
This was fun!! I loved learning more about all the Norse mythology. It was cool seeing little hints towards the next book in the series too!!
Rizwan
Informative as a supplementary for Magnus Chase series, and slightly amusing... but over all boring and even at a hundred or so pages felt too long. At times some needless information and backstories that I didn't much care about. Most importantly, just not laugh-out-loud funny enough like Riordan's similar "fun with mythology retellings" themed Percy Jackson's Greek Gods or contains any necessary side-stories like The Demigod Files or The Demigod Diaries that should've enriched the ongoing story arc all the mo ...more
Rebecca
I was hoping for a factual, solid guide to Norse mythology for kids. This book is the opposite. It tries too hard to be humorous and as a result there is very little actual myth. As someone who is in the process of writing a Norse mythology book for children- A modern, simpler prose Edda- this is an example of something I do not wish to create. While, for the targeted age range, it is good to be simple, it is simple in a condescending manner. It focuses on some good aspects of Norse mythology, b ...more
Harkeerat of the Apollo Cabin
I just have so many feelings, this was simply an amazing guide to Norse mythology, the knowledge will help me a lot when the other books come out.

"A Very Mean Ant Just Nibbled My Nose Hair"
Asgard, Vanaheim, Midgard, Alfheim, Jotunheim, Nidavellir, Muspellheim, Niflheim, and Helheim.
I'm pretty sure I'll never forget the Nine Realms ever again, Uncle Rick!!
As for the picture, they were all very adorable(Thor was a hottie)!!
Hel looked dangerous though, freaked me out.
The rap between Jack tHair"
Asgard,"
Cori Reed
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another fun companion book for this world.
Anniek
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These companion books are just so fun and quick to read!
Lynn Rainbow
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was brief, useless, but absolutely hilarious! xD
Hazel

One of Riordan's less funny books, but still good.
Aso
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many names that I cannot remember.
Marvin's recipes cracked me up. Where's Otis therapy sessions ?
Nancy The book junkie
Rating: 3.5/5

Review coming soon!
Sesana
There's fun and funny bits, but it isn't quite as informative as I'd hoped, and it doesn't have quite as much new content as I've come to expect from these side books. Really only useful if you have absolutely no previous knowledge of Norse mythology, which I guess would probably be a fairly sizeable portion of the actual target audience.
Rebecca
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mythology
Clever and irreverent look at the gods in Norse mythology. Riordan gets extra points for his original approach to every chapter using celebrity interviews, diaries and video recordings of the crazy interactions.

Highly recommended.
elena_tatt
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rick-riordan
This was incredibly enjoyable. I miss Magnus and Alex and Sam and everyone else. Can’t wait to get back to them.
evelina
May 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It didn't really add anything new and tbh I didn't find it that funny either. I though the Magnus Chase series was hilarious but maybe I'm not in the mood or this just wasn't my cup of tea.
Nhu
fun and quick to read!
Tyler Wiegmann
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Collin Bell
Shelves: favorites, own, funny
I really enjoyed this book. Although I wish the book was about 100 more pages. I thought it was fun to learn more about the Norse mythology in a funny and interesting way. The characters who "wrote" the different sections were very funny. I thought it would've been cool to have Magnus like written notes on different pages. Like in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them where Harry and Ron made little snide comments throughout the books. That would've been hilarious.

Also, I really enjoyed the pictu
Bil
This was an unexpectedly fun read! It was like reading Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them but with funny back-stories and with more detailed illustrations. I also liked how Riordan added clues regarding the plot of the next book through the narrative.

I would have probably enjoyed it more if the illustrations had color and if Magnus Chase himself wrote notes on the pages. Hotel Valhalla gives an overview of most of Norse mythology and I would recommend reading this if you're still a bit lost wit
Devann
This is a pretty basic run-down of a lot of the people / creatures in Norse mythology, but it's got some great illustrations and of course is written in Riordan's very humorous style. I'm not sure if it's a very good 'introduction' though because obviously Riordan changes around a lot of stuff in his stories so if you haven't read the books I feel like some of the references in here are going to go right over your head, but it's definitely a nice companion piece, especially if you get confused w ...more
Joan
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Magnus Chase fans
Riordan wrote a book to explain Norse mythology, to accompany his most recent series on Magnus Chase. It gives a good introduction to the myths. I do worry that some younger kids might "believe" all of it but the fiction part is pretty obvious. It was fun and informative. However, it really is, as the cover states, a companion book. It isn't going to make much sense unless you have also read the first Magnus Chase book.
Alyssa
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book just didn't feel quite "Riordan" to me, after all, I've been a fan of him since day one, and I just feel like so far he hasn't done his thing in this series, but I have faith it will pick up. I also just might not be a fan of "guide-like/manual" fictional books and therefore I would be unbiased, but to say the least I was expecting more storytelling in this book, and on that front I was slightly disappointed
Kian.R
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay I read this book a while ago and it was good. If you want to knoe anything about norse mythology with a modern twist then read this book by Rick Riordan. He is the best author that dose mythology in my opinion. This book has chats with gods and goddesses, tells about trouble makers, and the monsters of the norse worlds. Read this if you read Magnus chase.
Bianca Sy
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mmm... very helpful (and funny)
Samantha Glass
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun companion book to the Magnus Chase series.
Rizki Utami

Marvel Studios is the first one introducing me to Thor and Loki. The Strongest, The Most Handsome and The Bravest Thor with his hammer. Thor image was so perfect in my eyes, with Hemsworth face and the sexiest biceps. Then, I read Magnus Chase: Sword of Summer and It ruined everything. The book is pictured Thor as a ridiculous God (seriously Chris Hemsworth is so badass). His fart can shake Asgard. Thor, a strongest hero, is not more than a fart-machine. Oh God. I never tel

• The Throne of Fire: The Graphic Novel  (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • The Serpent's Shadow: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles, #3)
  • The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Sea of Monsters: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1)
  • The Titan's Curse: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #3)
  • The Son of Neptune: The Graphic Novel (The Heroes of Olympus: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #4)
  • The Lost Hero: The Graphic Novel  (The Heroes of Olympus: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Aphrodite the Fair (Goddess Girls, #15)
  • Pheme the Gossip (Goddess Girls, #10)
  • Secrets of Valhalla (Secrets of Valhalla, #1)
  • Eos the Lighthearted (Goddess Girls #24)
  • Stowarzyszenie umarlych poetow (polish)
  • The Day of the Dreader (How to Train Your Dragon World Book Day 2012)
  • Cast Long Shadows (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #2)

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard (3 books)
  • The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #1)
  • The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #2)
  • The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #3)
“Don't insert your hand inside a wolf's mouth - or a lion's, bear's, alligator's or crocodile's mouth, or in a lawn mower, garbage disposal, snowblower or blender - because, if you do, you're not going to have that hand for much longer! Don't believe me? Ask my good friend Captain Hook how he got his name! - Tyr” 8 likes
“It has a name because it's important, and all important things have names.” 6 likes