Start by marking “A Man of Shadows (John Nyquist, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Man of Shadows (John Nyquist, #1)

A Man of Shadows (John Nyquist #1)

The brilliant, mind-bending return to science fiction by one of its most acclaimed visionaries

Below the neon skies of Dayzone – where the lights never go out, and night has been banished – lowly private eye John Nyquist takes on a teenage runaway case. His quest takes him from Dayzone into the permanent dark of Nocturna.

As the vicious, seemingly invisible serial killer kno
Expected publication: August 1st 2017 by Angry Robot

Win a Copy of This Book

A Man of Shadows
    Release date: Aug 01, 2017
    In celebration of the release of A Man of Shadows, the new novel from master of cerebral sci-fi Jeff Noon, we're giving away 5 copies of the book to l ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 787 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jul 15 - Jul 30, 2017

Countries available: US, CA, and GB more

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about A Man of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Man of Shadows

Gary
    Jul 06, 2017 Gary rated it really liked it
    3.5 stars.
    A former professor of mine was fond of saying that great art is not merely engaged with, but surrendered to. That particular quality of experience – the willing submission of the viewer to the mastery of the art object itself – is hard to nail down in words; so then, is the absence of that quality. This, in a nutshell, is the ambition of the critic – to find the words to relate that experience, or lack thereof (or the gray in between) to other potential consumers of said object.
    Jeff No
    Liz Barnsley
    Jul 03, 2017 Liz Barnsley rated it it was amazing
    I really will never look at time passing in the same way again.

Sometimes a book comes along that just ticks every box in the “things I love about reading” stakes – A Man of Shadows is such a novel, so incredibly immersive, such brilliantly incisive descriptive prose and a set of fascinating, beautifully imagined characters – that you just dive into it with abandon and leave the real world behind.

A Man of Shadows has a decisively built world, a world of literal light dark and shade, where time is
    Faith
    Jul 20, 2017 Faith rated it really liked it
    Shelves: reviewed, netgalley
    I just recently learned the term "new weird" fiction, but I think it can be applied to this book. It's sci-fi, horror, urban fantasy and detective noir, so there's a lot going on here. John Henry Nyquist is a private detective looking for the missing 18 year old Eleanor Bale. Robert Mitchum could have played Nyquist in the movie. It turns out that Eleanor is not just a runaway, she plays an important role in the very strange world created by the author.

The action takes place in a city comprised
    Clair
    Jul 03, 2017 Clair rated it it was amazing
    A wonderful blend of sci-fi and mystery with a noir feel. Jeff Noon is a master of descriptive prose. Intricate writing and vivid depictions bring the complex world to life. Its dark, disturbing with plenty of bizareness thrown into the mix. Amazing world building in a city where time is a commodity and citizens move from one time to another adjusting their wristwatches to match one of the different timelines on offer. The city is split into 3 zones: Dayzone where darkness has been banished by b ...more
    Kim
    Jul 15, 2017 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    "Time, time, time/See what's become of me"

While reading A Man of Shadows I found myself becoming wary of every timepiece in my house. Why does the microwave clock read 11:45 when the oven clock reads 10:32 and the wall clock reads 2:55?
    Which is th correct time? If I call the speaking clock number will anyone answer? Can anyone tell me "at the tone the time will be..." or am I on my own? Who decides what time it is for me?

In short this book has caused me a great deal of anxiety. With a major bir
    Jul 01, 2017 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This story was visually stunning. It would make a beautiful movie. I'd love to see Guillermo Del Toro take it on! It has this incredible science-fiction world building, combined with a hard-boiled detective story and a super-eerie sort of otherworldly horror. Engrossing.
    Jul 05, 2017 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: science-fiction
    Review originally written for my blog

I received an ARC of this from Angry Robots as I was immediately intrigued as soon as I saw the cover of this book and the description sounded fascinating. It says Science Fiction although this could also easily be classed as Urban Fantasy and would definitely appeal to fans of that sub-genre.

The best part of this book is the setting, which is absolutely stunning. The city is split into two sections – Dayzone and Nocturna. In Dayzone, the sky is made up of la
    Josh
    A Man of Shadows is a surreal detective book which blends popular elements of the fantastical and private-eye genres to form a uniquely stylized story about a missing woman and the contrasting cityscapes of Dayzone and Nocturna of which she ventures. There's a lot of imagination infused in the dime-store detective facade that brings complexities conceived through clever concepts and well thought-out plot devices which make A Man of Shadows a joy to read.

Full review: http://justaguythatlikes2read
    Julie
    Jun 25, 2017 Julie rated it really liked it
    Big thanks to Net Galley and Angry Robot for allowing me a digital ARC.
    Sharply written, intense sci-fi mystery with a well-crafted world, and an interesting protagonist. Reminded me a bit of Leviathan Wakes in all the best ways. Jeff Noon has an unsettling, delicious way with words. Highly recommend for anyone who likes keen writing, layered sci-fi, and/or moving mysteries. I don't think I'll ever look at time the same way again.
    Penny Reeve
    Penny Reeve rated it it was amazing
    Jun 23, 2017
    Nick
    Nick rated it it was amazing
    Sep 05, 2016
    Kristen
    Kristen rated it liked it
    Jun 18, 2017
    Alex Sarll
    I was most excited for Jeff Noon’s first full-length novel in 15 years*; back in what I now think of as those carefree days of the early noughties, he was parallel with Iain M Banks as the SF author whose stuff I absolutely devoured. Even those books which didn’t form part of his Vurt cycle revolved around similar questions – the decay of old meaning and the rise of new interfaces, the interpenetration of flesh and digital. Well, not anymore. A Man of Shadows is a noir pastiche – the fedora-clad ...more
    Scott Whitmore
    One of the oldest metaphors around is light and darkness standing in for good and evil. God separated “light from darkness” in Genesis, Shakespeare’s love-besotted Romeo compared Juliet to the sun, and a Scottish prayer asks for protection from “things that go bump in the night.” In A Man of Shadows, author Jeff Noon’s electric prose and stylized imagery blur this simple idea into a fever dream of a tale about light, darkness, family, loss and time.

This review is based on an Advance Reading Cop
    Brucifer
    Brucifer rated it really liked it
    Jul 16, 2017
    Alysa H.
    Jul 12, 2017 Alysa H. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    ** I received a Review Copy of this book via NetGalley **
    Marc
    Marc rated it it was amazing
    Jun 04, 2017
    Darren Murr
    Darren Murr marked it as to-read
    Lyndon Lennon
    Lyndon Lennon marked it as to-read
    FanboyBen
    FanboyBen marked it as to-read
    James
    James marked it as to-read
    Jul 30, 2016
    Ian
    Ian marked it as to-read
    Aug 01, 2016
    Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
    Kathy (Kindle-aholic) marked it as to-read
    Aug 02, 2016
    Jennifer marked it as to-read
    Aug 26, 2016
    Ra
    Ra marked it as to-read
    Aug 28, 2016
    Chris
    Chris marked it as to-read
    Sep 07, 2016
    Lisa
    Lisa marked it as to-read
    Dec 02, 2016
    Daniel King
    Daniel King marked it as to-read
    Dec 22, 2016
    Cecilia
    Cecilia marked it as to-read
    Jan 04, 2017
    Tammy
    Tammy marked it as to-read
    Jan 04, 2017
    Robert
    Robert added it
    Paul
    Paul added it
    Miriam
    Miriam marked it as to-read
    John Cocks
    John Cocks marked it as to-read
    Jaclyn Hogan
    Jaclyn Hogan marked it as to-read
    Ithlilian
    Ithlilian marked it as to-read
    Michael Hicks
    Michael Hicks marked it as to-read
    Justin
    Justin marked it as to-read
    Joe Stanton
    Joe Stanton marked it as to-read
    John Abbott
    John Abbott marked it as to-read
    Nick Guido
    Nick Guido marked it as to-read
    Joe English
    Joe English marked it as to-read
    Silvana
    Silvana marked it as to-read
    Jan 07, 2017
    Rachel
    Rachel marked it as to-read
    Jan 08, 2017
    Jeff Noon is a novelist, short story writer and playwright whose works make extensive use of wordplay and fantasy.

He studied fine art and drama at Manchester University and was subsequently appointed writer in residence at the city's Royal Exchange theatre. But Noon did not stay too long in the theatrical world, possibly because the realism associated with the theatre was not conducive to the fant

More about Jeff Noon...