Start by marking “Heartstone” as Want to Read:
Heartstone

Heartstone

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  1,138 Ratings  ·  359 Reviews
A debut historical fantasy that recasts Jane Austen’s beloved Pride & Prejudice in an imaginative world of wyverns, dragons, and the warriors who fight alongside them against the monsters that threaten the kingdom: gryphons, direwolves, lamias, banshees, and lindworms.

Published January 17th 2017 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Heartstone, please sign up.

Elle Katharine White Yes and yes! More adventures in Arle coming Fall 2018 and Summer 2019.
Elle Katharine White "I’d never seen an angry hobgoblin before. If this one wasn’t my friend, it might’ve been funny. Tobble was red in the face before I noticed him in…more"I’d never seen an angry hobgoblin before. If this one wasn’t my friend, it might’ve been funny. Tobble was red in the face before I noticed him in the grass by the garden wall, and since hobgoblins have green skin, that in itself was quite a feat."(less)

Cait (Paper Fury)
I have a small bit of "love/hate" for this book. Because, like DRAGONS. And they did the dragons so so well that I'm not only impressed, I'm a huge fan! We have dragon riders and battles and they kill evil monsters and like yaaaas. THIS IS EXACTLY THE KIND OF DRAGON STORY I WANT IN MY LIFE. But. Haha. The middle was so insufferably boring and a dead mushroom has more personality than Aliza. So. Those are rather large drawbacks.

Okay and I confess! I've never read Pride and Prejudice. This is most
Cait • A Page with a View
It's a Pride & Prejudice retelling with DRAGONRIDERS.

I remember being excited about this one last year and then somehow forgot about its release. So I'm super glad I remembered because that was totally brilliant, badass, and everything I never knew I needed in a P&P retelling. It kept the heart of the story but made some pretty clever changes. I don't even know how to explain how epic the last 1/3 was... if you like dragon battles + Mr. Darcy then definitely check this one out!
Alyssa
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-releases
4.5 stars. Maybe 5 stars. I haven't decided yet. I LOVED this book. =)

EDIT: OKAY FIVE STARS IT IS. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Check out a swoony excerpt from the book! While Heartstone is NOT a romance novel, it does feature a lovely and subtle romance. =) Click the graphic below!

description

Summary (from Goodreads):

A debut historical fa
Bookwraiths
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

I want to admit up front that I have never, ever read any Jane Austen. How I was able to navigate through four years at a liberal arts university without ever reading this author still amazes me, but I did, without any grand plan by myself to do so. All of which means that when I picked up Heartstone by Elle Katharine White I was experiencing this fantasy retelling of Pride and Prejudice without any real knowledge of the original, which I actually believe helpe
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/02/06/...

Pride and Prejudice retellings and other Austenesque-inspired stories have traditionally been hit-or-miss with me, but there was something about Heartstone that drew me to it right away. Might it have been the dragons? Okay yeah, it was the dragons.

While I’ll be the first to admit I’m no aficionado on the works of Jane Austen, I am familiar enough with Pride and Prejudice to know that Heartstone is actually a pretty faithf
Nastassja

Pride and Prejudice and Dragons!

If you are a fellow P&P fan you can imagine the scope of my excitement for this book. And now after I've finished it a couple of hours ago I can finally say that I mostly liked the author's revision of the original story, but it was not enough for me to make me not to return in my head to favorite scenes from P&P while reading Heartstone.

Just like in P&P in this book we have a world of high society, ladies and gentlemen and balls, of course. But right

Pride and Prejudice with dragons.
...
Pride and Prejudice. WITH DRAGONS.
....
WITH DRAGONS people! Oh please, please, please let this be as awesome as it sounds!
Cookie
My love for this book is endless. Eeeeeeeeeendlesssssss, I tell you. (Eta: (March 12th) so endless that I had to read it again and probably will do so again. And soon.)

It was actually just last year where I fell in love with Pride &Prejudice, and I admit, while I did like the book, it was the 2005 movie (the one with Keira Knightley!) that totally won me over. Ever since my AP lit teacher showed my class a snippet of the movie, I put that on the moment I got home. I was a goner for the story
Jaime Arkin
“They say a Rider in possession of a good blade must be in want of a monster to slay—and Merybourne Manor has plenty of monsters.”

This book… was amazing!

I’m going to start by saying that I’m not usually a fan of epic historical fantasy it’s just too much for me to ingest and this cover just screams it with that dragon… but I knew I had to give it a try when I read it was touted as Pride & Prejudice meets dragons, wyverns and warriors!

From the very first page I was pulled into this story, a
Norah
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is...odd. There are talking dragons, "Darcy" has a mohawk neck-braid, "Lizzy" plays with Hobgoblins, and griffons are roasted on the spit. Yet the plot outline follows the BBC Pride and Prejudice miniseries (not the book) so very, very closely. That is not the problem, however. What it is missing is real emotional tension and depth of character.

Three generous stars for some unique (albeit strange) ideas and a hearty attempt at a reimagining.
Debbie Brown
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff, 2017-jaff
4.5 rounded up to 5 stars

This is a thoroughly entertaining variation of Pride and Prejudice that very effectively transports the reader to a fantasy world filled with mythical creatures, and there's lots of humor and a touch of mystery thrown in for good measure. I don't usually take note of a cover since I read most of my books on an old ink display kindle, but this one is gorgeous. It seems as though Heartstone has been discovered by fantasy readers but not JAFF readers, so I hope to be like a
Hailee
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pride and Prejudice is my favourite book and I have a large obsession with dragons so reading a book that combines the two was always going to be a winner in my eyes. So my review might be a bit biased as I went into this book determined to like it.

And I did enjoy it. It combined the supernatural world with the ‘regency’ setting well and the author created a believable history for the world she created. The dragons were done soooo well and it was so easy for me to believe that they were a natura
Gillian

so WHOOPS I accidentally read that in one day. This is by no means a perfect book but BOY HOWDY did i love reading it! Ships and humor and dragon riders and beasties and shippity ship and yes, slightly rushed execution and kinda dropped plots but YOU KNOW WHAT if this means a surprise sequel I am heeeere for it

tl;dr, it's got some debut growing pains but this book is thoroughly enjoyable, both as a P&P retelling and a high fantasy in its own right. Tbh I think I liked the parts where it diff
Fafa's Book Corner
DNF

Mini review:

I had been hearing good things about this book. So I decided to read it. Unfortunately I did not enjoy this.

The beginning was really good and so funny! But after that it went downhill. I couldn't even feel the romance. It came out of nowhere. And I was just found myself bored.

Still recommend.
Sophie

When I first heard about this book, I was immediately drawn to it because of the dragons, and because it seemed like a fantasy debut that was worth a read. Once early reviews came out, and I realised it was a Pride & Prejudice retelling too, I immediately preordered it, because anything linked to P&P is right for me.

In Heartstone, Aliza Bentaine lives in a Manor with her parents and sisters, and in the recent months, the manor has been attacked by gryphons, and the Lord has no other opti
Glory
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Очередное ми-ми-ми.
Гордость и предубеждение и драконы.
Серьезно))
Но только если в версии про зомби я плевалась и возмущалась, то тут наслаждалась, кайфовала и местами восторженно попискивала, привлекая очень много подозрительных взглядов в метро)
Сюжет достаточно тесно переплетен с оригинальным "ГиП", но при этом все же уникален и не лишен собственного очарования. Драконы и монстры, люди и чувства. Незыблемая классика и любимое фэнтези.
Что-то из основного сюжета убрано (например, линия с Уикх
Jaclyn
Heartstone was an excellent Pride and Prejudice retelling. It was similar enough that enjoyment of the connections to the source material could be made and different enough to make this something rather original. Heartstone was a very enjoyable read! It was an updated Pride and Prejudice with dragons! We can't forget the dragons.
Megan (magan bagan)
This was absolutely adorable! I loved it! Pride and Prejudice with dragons. Yes, please!
Shelley
*Source* Edelweiss
*Genre* Fantasy, Retellings
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

Elle Katharine White's Heartstone is a story that reimages Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. This is a world where there are two types of beings exist; Tekari, sworn enemies of humans, and Shani, friends of humans. There is something dangerous coming, and nobody quite knows what it wants. Instead of using zombies to tell her story as in Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, White uses a variety of beings from gryphon's, gnom
Lisazj1
4.5 stars, I loved it! Great fantasy, excellent story and dragons, which automatically makes everything better!

This was pitched as a "Pride & Prejudice with dragons", which is a lot for any story to stand up to but this one managed incredibly well. While I don't exactly consider it a "retelling" of P&P, the parallels were wonderfully done and made the parts of the story that were all its own just that much more enjoyable!

I just read in another review that this is a standalone and that
Tandie
"...a Rider in possession of a good blade must be in want of a monster to slay..."
Pride & Prejudice dragon style? YES PLEASE!
Liz
Jul 05, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-release
high fantasy pride and prejudice? did i dream this?
Basia
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a Basia who loves Austen must be in want of a high fantasy retelling.

High fantasy is the genre of my heart. It is the genre that always feels like home to me, so when I found out that there was a high fantasy retelling of Pride and Prejudice, you can bet I was all over that faster than you could say, "Darcy." I was admittedly worried going into this; I've been burned by Austen adaptations many times before (Unleashing Mr. Darcy to this day remains the
Mara
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, romance
What made me laugh in a regency setting, was mildly irritating here. I read until the end with a meh feeling. Only after suddenly I realised it's a Jane Austin retelling. Only not as much fun in this contest, nor it had the same consequences. It might have been a very good fantasy if it had gone for its title and promises.
anjuli
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All P&P fans....
Shelves: cute, retelling
This book was a surprise. Retelling stories is hard to do. People already have set in their minds how much they like or dislike the original. To beat that mindset is not so easy and let alone, doing it with P&P.

"A Rider in possession of a good blade must be in want of a monster to slay..."

Heartstone is a Pride and Prejudice retelling only with a twist. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the original Pride and Prejudice. It is my all time favorite book and when I read the blurb for Heartstone I was super exc
Lisa
When I first started reading this I thought it was just another fantasy of manners (which seems to be growing in popularity lately) but then I realized it was an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and I had a very negative reaction which I couldn't fully explain. But now I think I know what happened. It's that it started out well as an original work. The world, the characters, they are very much their own thing. The parts that didn't work for me at all were the scenes adapted directly from P& ...more
Rachel • The NerdHerd Reads
Pride and Prejudice with dragons? YES PLEASE.

I loved this one. I was actually going back and forth on whether to rate this one 5 stars. It was so close, but I don't think quite there. I loved Aliza and Alastair. This book had all the elements familiar of Pride and Prejudice, but was still unique enough to be its own story. And of course the witty banter we all associate with Lizzy and Darcy was there and I am here for it.

And yes, I definitely read everything Curdred said in Ricky Collin's voic
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Pride and Prejudice and dragons. Have you ever heard a more wonderful idea? I chanted pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood the whole time I was downloading the audio, for which I was awesomely rewarded. It's kind of amazing how true to the source material this story is but how winsomely unique it is at the same time. I almost can't even with how much I loved this novel. The dragons! The other mythical creatures! The sisters! The romance(s)! So much yes! Oh, and the narration is kinda perfection, ...more
Jenny
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2017
This was great! I really enjoyed it, definitely one of my fave adaptions I've read of Pride and Prejudice, cause of course add dragons to anything and it makes it even more awesome imo.
Margie's Must Reads
Very original and refreshing. I love all things Austen, yet, I was not sure I would love this one after reading the synopsis to be honest. But all in all, it was a very interesting book. An epic and exciting adventure that was very different from what I expected over all. Did I love the Darcy in the story....why yes, yes I did.
A textbook introvert who likes to throw out the textbook every once in a while just to see what happens, Elle grew up in Buffalo, NY, where she learned valuable life skills like how to clear a snowy driveway in under twenty minutes and how to cheer for the perennial underdog. When she’s not writing, she spends her time drinking tea, loitering in libraries and secondhand bookshops, and dreaming of ...more
More about Elle Katharine White...

“I’ve been in many battles in my lifetime. I’ve slain monsters by the hundreds and won more victories than I can count, but against this there’s no defense. From the moment we met I tried fighting it—gods, I’ve tried. Nothing works. I thought I’d be safe at the other end of the country, but the minute I heard you were coming to Edan Rose I flew here as fast as Akarra would take me. I’m a Rider and you’re a nakla,” Daired said. “There’s nothing we have in common. There’s nothing we should have in common. Your birth, your bloodline, all of it—it’s beneath me. I know all of that, and it hasn’t changed a thing. I’ve lost, Aliza. You’ve defeated me.” 6 likes
“And then, because I’d fought through dragonfire and death and knew at last what courage looked like, I kissed him.
I thought I knew everything there was to know about fire. I’d smelled it, touched it, almost tasted it, but for all that, I had no idea. This was the fire that bound the Daired bloodline to dragonkind. Love, and passion, and wildness— all burned in that single touch, searing my lips even as it seared my soul.”
2 likes