Start by marking “One Young Fool in South Africa” as Want to Read:
One Young Fool in South Africa

One Young Fool in South Africa

(Old Fools)

Who is Joe Twead? Where did he come from? What happened before Joe met Victoria and they moved to a crazy Spanish mountain village?
Joe Twead’s early life in South Africa was very different to Victoria’s in leafy Dorset. Sometimes dark, sometimes funny, and often magical, his childhood memories are vividly portrayed and give the reader a snapshot of a time and lifestyle th
Published September 9th 2016 by Ant Press

Pat Ellis
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loving the 'Two Old Fools' series as many folks do - this book was a must for me. I felt immediately hooked into this Memoir by Joe Twead - yep - right from the off-set. It was, (speaking as a mum), a difficult read at times - BUT I LOVED it - absolutely loved it. (admittedly I wanted to pick the 'young' Joe up and smother him with cuddles, love etc) - although - through what were pretty harsh difficulties - he survived - learned lots of lessons - often the hard-way!! He really did have a hell o ...more
Sue
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book from start to finish. The story details the life of a young boy abandoned by his mother and institutionalised for all his school age years. Based in South Africa he endured brutal bullying regimes for most of his childhood. Joe describes his adventures, the people he forged friendships with and ultimately where he is now. A great book to recommend, written with the help of his wife interjecting throughout the book. An original concept.
Beth
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story by a man who overcame his not so great child hood

Joe Twead tells his story of growing up in a boys home in South Africa with bad times as well as some truly amazing experiences. He tells his story with honesty even when it isn't flattering for him. Those of us who have read Chickens Mules and Two Old Fools know that he managed to go on and live a very nice life.
Paula Hilston
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From the dedication through the epilogue

This book captures your heart and soul. The author has climbed from relative obscurity as the beloved husband in the mule series to a full blown author in his own right with the same astounding sense of humour as his wife. I fully expect this book to join those of Victoria Tweed on the New York Times best seller list. He took me back to my own boarding school days in 50s and 60s England and elicited both laughs and tears. I hope Joe will share with his re
E.J. Bauer
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Coming in as the sixth book in the "Old Fools..." series, Victoria is joined by her husband Joe in writing of life before they met and became foolish together. I found this book quite challenging as Joe recalls his early life as one of abandonment and growing up in boys' homes in Johannesburg. The brutality of institutionalisation dealt by both staff and other students is carefully balanced with some wonderful African adventures, camping, hiking and coming face to face with the wildlife. While s ...more
Mervyn B. Leicester
Aug 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Readable but Boring!

Having enjoyed all of Vicki Tweed's books in the past I really looked forward to reading Joe's book, but found the chronology confused. The narrative I found boring, and really rushed thru it because I could not wait for the torture to end. Please Vicki write another book.
Kay Funk
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Difficult read

I love Joe and Victoria's adventures but Joe's story was almost more than I could handle. What a hard youth he had although he came out on a positive side. I could only read small bits at a time because I got so caught up in it. I can't imagine what he went through although he said it was what is was. So happy he and Victoria have a good life.
Irene Moyer
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a good read

I was surprised how moving this was what a childhood. .Joe writes with compassion, regret, joy, bitterness, hope...so many emotions. I want more! About after, the UK, Vicky. Reminded me of Time of the Hero by Vargas Llosa.
Sarah C. Frazer
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Better and Better

Having read several of VTwead's books, hearing Joe's voice along with her's is an utter delight. I am now more than a huge fan.
Susan
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Boys will be boys

Joe's telling of his journey from childhood to young adult is heartfelt. It gave me an insight to the life I have never imagined.
Darren Wilson
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous read

Having read all the Old Fools books I expected a similar tale. However this book is a brilliant account of Joe's turbulent childhood in the care system of South Africa. A real page turner that fully explains Joe's very resilient character and dark humour. Make sure you have ample time to read it as once started you are reluctant to put down.
Christy Olesen
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Twead writes about his difficult childhood with candor and humor. The fact that he was born three days before me made the differences between our childhoods on opposite sides of the world even more interesting. Well written.
Dee Poynter
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Joe, you are a funny guy!

I have appreciation for inappropriate humor. I found Joe's life in the "home" dark on one hand and hilarious on the other! I raised boys......keep up the good work..
Pop goes the weasel! Can't wait to use that one!!
Cathy Hoffman
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Cathy Hoffman by: Amazon
This is a great book. I enjoyed his attention to detail. It gives the reader a real sense of the time, place and cultural atmosphere.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good story told with honesty and a good sense of humor!
Lucinda Clarke
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A memoir about growing up in a children's home in South Africa - brought back many memories.
Cynthia  Scott
Joe's childhood story growing up in Sough Africa in the 1950-60s. A great tale with lots of hardship, but fascinating picture of the,life,and times.
Ineke
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I could relate to many of the adventures because I grew up the same time near Johannesburg. Joe's writing makes you keep on reading to see what happened next.
Rebecca
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
I’ve read all of the ‘Old Fools’ series of books and loved the enthusiasm, love and humour that they portrayed in abundance. I also read Victoria’s Prequel ‘One Young Fool in Dorset’ and once again it was a story of a loving family and life in a rather idyllic part of the country. Joe’s memoir ‘One Young Fool in South Africa.’ describes a very different and harsh childhood. From the opening sentence ‘I have no idea exactly when I was born or indeed where’ I knew this was not going to be a comfor ...more
Penelope Shaffer
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting subject of growing up in South Africa in an orphanage

Having become acquainted with Joe through his wife's books, it was very interesting to learn about his younger years living in an orphanage. As hard as that must have been to live without any family except his sister whom he doesn't see again for ten yearsJoe emerged to become a strong man who could be considered a successful and kind human being.

My only negative is, like Victoria, his wife, mentions, he goes too in-de
sue hale
willy
Nov 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Old Fools (8 books)
  • Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools: Tuck into a Slice of Andalucían Life (Old Fools, #1)
  • Two Old Fools - Olé: Another Slice of Andalucian Life (Old Fools, #2)
  • Two Old Fools on a Camel: From Spain to Bahrain and Back Again (Old Fools, #3)
  • Two Old Fools in Spain Again (Old Fools, #4)
  • One Young Fool in Dorset