Start by marking “The Upside of Unrequited” as Want to Read:
The Upside of Unrequited

The Upside of Unrequited

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  35,031 Ratings  ·  6,957 Reviews
“I don’t entirely understand how anyone gets a boyfriend. Or a girlfriend. It just seems like the most impossible odds. You have to have a crush on the exact right person at the exact right moment. And they have to like you back.”

What does a sixteen-year-old girl have to do to kiss a boy? Molly Peskin-Suso wishes she knew. She’s crushed on twenty-six guys…but has kissed ex
Published April 11th 2017 by Balzer + Bray

Emily May
I can’t decide if this is funny or sad, but I’ve spent so much time wanting a boyfriend that I can’t imagine not wanting one. I can imagine saying I don’t want one. But I can’t imagine it being true.

I'm really surprised to see so many positive reviews of The Upside of Unrequited from GR members who thought Holding Up the Universe was problematic. To me, this is more of the same. This might be the author who brought us the wonderful and hilarious Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, but these cha
Adam Silvera
I have a fierce love for this book. Molly has such a winning voice and winning heart and yup, Becky remains one of my favorite authors ever. (Just reread as an audiobook and it's amazing!)
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
I loooooved this! I found it to be so relatable and just amazing. Stayed tuned for a review/discussion to hear more thoughts!
Colleen Hoover
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It's been my bathroom book, if you know what I mean.
DO you know what I mean?
I mean, I keep it in my bathroom so when I...you know...I read. I got so sucked into this story, though, that I was in my bathroom for five hours straight.
Now I can't feel my legs.
But it was worth it. Counting down the days until I get to watch Love, Simon because I also loved that book and can't wait for the movie. But I'm actually going to the theater to see that movie with my book club. I'm not
emma
So...a 4.1 average rating. Heaps of praise-filled reviews. Fangirling galore. I should've liked this. What the hell went wrong?

I feel like I read a totally different book. I didn’t see a swoony romance, or a relatable character, or...much of anything really. What I did see was a very f*cked-up way of discussing feminism and other social issues, intolerable teens, and a boy fixation that refuses. To. Disappear.

So let’s get into it. Unpopular opinion time!

CH
C.G. Drews
So two things:
(1) I'M SORRY I READ THIS SO EARLY. I'm honestly not here to brag or anything. #donthurtme But I know that if I don't review it now I will forget everything of ever and it will be embarrassing. SO. I'll keep this review spoiler-free (of course) and brief!
(2) It's hard not to compare it to Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda! I shall try. I loved that book to freaking pieces and so I didn't love this one as much which is why it's just 4-stars. But I feel like it's in the shadow of it'
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Ok, I'm ready to write a full review of this now. Maybe. So many good things to say, so little time.

Before I get into the quality of the book, let me just give you a breakdown of the diversity represented here because it was honestly incredible and this is the exact world that I want to see in YA contemporaries from now on.
-Pansexual (on page) side character who is also Korean-American
-Multiple lesbian side characters
-Bisexual side character
-Minor gay characters
-Jewish main character, side chara
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
♥ My April Owlcrate ♥

I'm on the toilet at the 9:30 Club, and I'm wondering how mermaids pee.

This isn't random. There's a mermaid Barbie attached to the door of the bathroom here. Which is a pretty odd choice for a bathroom mascot. If that's even a thing. Bathroom mascots.

This book had me at those first few lines and yes I'm weird and NO, I don't care. I loved this book so much =)

When I first read the summary of this book, I thought I probably won't like it. Then I got it in my Owlcrate and s
Emma Giordano
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you so much, Harper Collins, for providing me with a free copy of this book to review!
4.5 stars! I really really enjoyed this read. I recently read Simon & LOVED it so I was super pumped to pick up Becky's next work *that comes out on my birthday.*

This was an unbelievably adorable, cute, funny, fluffy, give-you-all-the-feels kind of read. (So like, what you would normally expect from Becky) [But speaking of Becky's other books, I would definitely recommend reading [book:Simon vs. the
Trina (Between Chapters)
Absolutely amazing. A new all time favorite.

It means so much to me to see a character who looks and thinks like myself (she's fat and has anxiety, both of which are own voices representation) in a romance story because I 100% WAS Molly at 17, pining over unrequited crushes and feeling so much insecurity about pursuing them.

Aside from Molly being one of the most relateable characters I've ever read, the rest of the story held up. There are so many important discussions about weight and sexuality
Warda
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I AM MUSH, PEOPLE! FUCKIN' MUSH! This book has made me flail with excitement several times. I LOVED IT SO MUCH! I don't think I'm going to review this book. What are reviews anyway?! Who decides they have to be coherent and whatnot? My overexcitement alone shows how perfect every single page was for me and how much I loved it. AND SO I WANT TO THROW THIS BOOK AT EVERYONE SO THEY CAN READ IT AND DIE OF CUTENESS AND HAPPINESS!

GAAAH MY BRAIN IS NOT FUNCTIONING RIGHT NOW.

OVER AND OUT!
Lola
Sex and relationships are important subjects. Teen boys and girls are especially curious about them. How does it work? How does one get a boyfriend or girlfriend? When is the right time for those two things?

Molly Peskin wants to fall in love with someone and for that person to fall in love with her back very badly, but she’s scared. Her sister doesn’t seem to be daunted by anything; she even got herself a really cute girlfriend in a short amount of time.

Becky Albertalli did a fairly good job ill
ambsreads
Let's teach people that the only way to achieve high self esteem is by boys liking you back!

Yeah, how about no.

I don't think this author and I are a match. I'm not sure I will enjoy her books. I was so frustrated by the fact Molly was basically basing her self worth on her friends attempts to get her a boyfriend it overshadowed the rest of the plot.

Not only that, but I felt this book was incredibly childish. I didn't enjoy the writing and felt myself cringing at the writing, especially the ove
Larry H
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd rate this 4.5 stars.

Becky Albertalli, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

I fell in complete and utter love with Albertalli's first book, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (see my original review). I devoured it in less than a day, and it was a no-brainer that the book showed up on my list of the best books I read in 2015.

As you might imagine, the minute her newest book, The Upside of Unrequited , came out, I pounced. I bought it at like 12:01 a.m. on the day it was released—I set
Cait • A Page with a View
This whole thing was hilariously real and wonderfully done.

Let me just lay out the these characters to start with:

Molly: the main character. She is obsessed with Pinterest, shops at Modcloth, is fat, Jewish, and has had 27 crushes without ever being kissed. I absolutely LOVED her character. When a guy tells her she's "gorgeous for a big girl" she just says "fuck you." A lot of her story focuses on getting a boyfriend, but it's more of an analysis of the most relatable thoughts:

"I don't entirel
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 4/24/18: Still think this was mega cute, still love me a great fat main character. Also: WOW I forgot how cute Reid is. Have mercy. This was adorable. I’m SO excited for Leah’s book now!!

Original read 4/25/17: This book was mega cute. Not as good as Simon in my opinion, but still so good. And it was amazingly refreshing to read a book about a fat girl that actually accurately represents what it's like to be a fat girl and I AM SO ABOUT IT. So great.
Kai
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, glbt
“I want to know what it feels like to have crushes that could conceivably maybe one day turn into boyfriends.”

This was once again a very honest and real story by Becky Albertalli. The reason why books like Becky's resonate so much with teenagers and young adults is because in them we feel understood. We are represented. Our feelings and thoughts are valid. We see ourselves in these characters, in their struggles and in their dreams.

I also love that Becky talks this openly about sex. And not just
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)

This. Was. SO. Cute.
There were tears of joy, such a delightful read!
emi
2.75/5 stars

I think there should be a law in place that bans terrible books, especially when they are a follow up to an incredible debut. Simon vs. the Ho
Pouting Always
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
During a night out with her twin Cassie, Molly meets a girl in the bathroom who she instantly knows is Cassie's dream girl. The girl from the bathroom, Mina, and Cassie hit it off and Cassie manages to get Mina's number that night. Molly is happy for her sister but at the same time Cassie's new relationship begins to make her think about her own lack of a love life and the growing distance between her and Cassie. Molly is used to being the closest person to Cassie and has a hard time learning to ...more
Whitney Atkinson
This started out so promising, but it just wasn't for me. i thought i would be able to relate to it because fat mc with anxiety, but our personalities and insecurities were completely different and i found i actually really didn't see myself in molly at all. the biggest problem, i think, is that this is a book i wish i'd read 5-6 years ago. now, i'm beyond the part of my life where i'm self-conscious and awkward, so it did nothing for me to read about that.

i wasn’t a fan of the repetition of “i’
Natalie Monroe

"If I like a guy, I'm supposed to tell him. Maybe in Cassie's world, you can do that and have it end in making out. But I'm not so sure it works that way for fat girls."

So this review is going to be a little personal. By that, I mean I'm going to ramble and waste ten minutes of your time, depending on how fast you read. Free feel to grab a bagel.

When I was sixteen, the standard YA age, I was a painfully introverted kid. Not the fun John Green kind, but the really sad kind that makes y
Ashley Nuckles
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one but definitely enjoyed Simon v. more! :)
Raeleen Lemay
Read for Popsugar's 2018 Reading Challenge #22: A Book with Alliteration in the Title

Normally I would rate this 3 stars (it was pretty juvenile) but I just really appreciate how much diversity and love/acceptance this book holds. I also really enjoyed (and was pleasantly surprised by) all of the cameos from Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, and it was perfect timing to read this right after I finished re-reading that book.

All in all, a fun read!
Katie
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so cute omg
Heather 'Bookables'
4.5/5

Oh the adorableness! Such a cute, diverse read! I can see why so many people love this book! It's so adorable and super diverse and the main character is so relatable!!
This is a perfect summer read!
I did dock off half a star because so much cussing which honestly is just a personal preference and I did find the writing to be a tad to simplistic.
Other than that I seriously loved this book!
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Adored this even more the second time. I can't wait for the world to meet Molly. I've never connected with a character this strongly before. This was me in highschool!
Maureen
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm crying because that ending was so beautiful????

Alright this book. I went in with really really high expectations and expecting that it would be a book of my HEART and I would relate a lot to the main character because of similar situations. And I did relate! Just not a lot. Or as much as I had hoped. Probably some of my disappointment (very minor disappointment!) comes from setting too high of expectations. BUT ON WITH THINGS I LOVED.

The diversity in this book was A+++++++ to infinity. It wa
✨    jamieson   ✨

3.5 stars!

I, like Molly, am a Chronic Crusher. Maybe not 26 crushes, but a few - blonde ben, biker conor, buswalk alex, supermarket kalen, dimples melanie,
2018 Reading Chal...: The Upside of Unrequited 12 29 21 hours, 34 min ago
Addicted to YA: The Upside of Unrequited 2 92 Apr 21, 2018 10:26AM
Daisy Matias Review 9 1 9 Apr 19, 2018 11:19PM
  • Alex, Approximately
  • The Names They Gave Us
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • Bad Romance
  • Letters to the Lost (Letters to the Lost, #1)
  • Amal Unbound
  • You're Welcome, Universe
  • When Dimple Met Rishi
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • By Your Side
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons, #1)
  • In a Perfect World
  • Long May She Reign
  • Our Own Private Universe
  • It Started With Goodbye
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Just Friends
  • It's Not Like It's a Secret
Becky Albertalli is the author of the acclaimed novels Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (film: Love, Simon), The Upside of Unrequited, and Leah on the Offbeat. She is also the co-author of What If It's Us with Adam Silvera. A former clinical psychologist who specialized in working with children and teens, Becky lives with her family in Atlanta. You can visit her online at www.beckyalbertalli.com. ...more
More about Becky Albertalli

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice, #12)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • I Hate Everyone But You
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
“I don’t entirely understand how anyone gets a boyfriend. Or a girlfriend. It just seems like the most impossible odds. You have to have a crush on the exact right person at the exact right moment. And they have to like you back. A perfect alignment of feelings and circumstances. It’s almost unfathomable that it happens as often as it does.” 158 likes
“Because I have to admit: there's something really badass about truly, honestly not caring what people think about you.” 130 likes