Start by marking “Miss You” as Want to Read:
Miss You

Miss You

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  9,401 ratings  ·  1,011 reviews
Tess and Gus are meant to be. They just haven't met properly yet. And perhaps they never will . . .

Today is the first day of the rest of your life is the motto on a plate in the kitchen at home, and Tess can't get it out of her head, even though she's in Florence for a final, idyllic holiday before university. Her life is about to change forever - but not in the way she e
Published April 4th 2017 by Harper (first published August 11th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Miss You, please sign up.
Alysa It's very similar in a lot of ways but there's a major factor that makes for a different read overall: the book spans about 18 years, so the character…moreIt's very similar in a lot of ways but there's a major factor that makes for a different read overall: the book spans about 18 years, so the characters may start at 18 (like in Just One Day), but spend most of the book in their twenties and early thirties, which makes for some very different life experiences.
If you liked Just One Day it's definitely worth picking up. (less)

·  9,401 ratings  ·  1,011 reviews

Start your review of Miss You
Katie B
Absolutely loved it! I think some books just find a way into your life at the right time and this might be a case of that. Maybe six months from now I wouldn't feel quite the same way but this was just the perfect read for me at the moment. The premise isn't really groundbreaking as it's just a story about two people who meet in Italy and share a brief moment in time but go back to England alone. The book follows their lives for the next 16 years as they experience heartache, love, etc..

On an e
Anja
Sep 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really sure if two stars is an okay rating because a) I didn't really read this book properly and b) if I had read it properly and it would have been the right time and stuff, I might have liked it. Maybe.
Edit: changed it to one star :D

OK, so the book is about Tess and Gus, who 'meet' in Italy when they are each on vacation. They both go back to England the next day and their paths separate. In the next 16 years they 'meet' more than once again, but they never really get to know each ot
Whispering Stories
A romance novel with a heart on the cover. Two characters who are meant to be. Alternating first person narratives following them through their lives. Sound familiar and wearingly clichéd? Kate Eberlen might not have made herself immediately appealing to the critic’s eye, but in her novel ‘Miss You’ she has written an interesting, enjoyable and immersive work that is both light and literary, and a gently provocative read.

We’re introduced to the main characters in 1997, when Tess and her best fri
Celeste_pewter
Three things:

1) The book felt a little too much like a confluence of One Day and Love, Rosie, down to the affairs, accidental pregnancies, culinary-inspired careers and Tess's desire to become a writer.

2) Why is it that women in these books are always borderline pathetic? They're always self-sacrificing, giving up careers, having affairs and waiting for rich friends to fix their problems. No, damn it. Go fix your own life. Go look at Gwenyth Paltrow in Sliding Doors and emultate her.

It's not
Lynne
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub-reads
I had a hard time with this book ...

You see - it has been compared to One Day, a novel that revolved around two people always missing their chance, until they don't but then life gets in the way. A really heart-warming love story that had me in tears at the end.

Miss You is about two people, Tess and Gus, who were both in Florence at the same time ... they were in the same church, they saw one another ... and that's it. They aren't two people who know one another, who are simply being to bull hea
KOMET
4:57 PM EST. A few minutes ago, I finished reading this novel, my eyes brimming with tears. I am now basking in an afterglow of quasi-orgasmic satisfaction, for this was a story that spoke to my heart and mind, captivating me throughout its 433 pages.

The story begins in Florence (Italy) in August 1997. Two young ladies from the UK - friends from childhood - are nearing the end of a summer holiday before each will embark on different paths. Tess, who had recently received her A-levels, has secure
Susan
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you netgalley for approving my request for this book, although not out til August I had heard great things already. I absolutely loved this book from beginning to end. It is a wonderfully intimate story following two very endearing characters who are unaware of each other. As the chapters progressed I felt more and more engrossed in Tess and Gus's lives, so much so I feel bereft now that I have finished the book. I miss the characters already and feel this book will stay with me for a long ...more
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)

MISS YOU is a story of missed connections about two people who are perfect for each other but never meet over the course of fifteen years.

Tess and Gus first meet briefly in Florence as teenagers—she while on holiday with her best friend, Doll and he while on a trip with his parents who are still grieving after losing his older brother in a skiing accident. Over the next several years, both of their lives take them on journeys neither of them saw coming. Serendipitously, they almost meet agai
Lisbeth
Nov 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe chick lit is just not for me, or maybe this book was just really bad. I didn't absolutely hate it like other one star books - it was just really, really bad.

[Denne bog er modtaget af Politikens Forlag som anmeldereksemplar. Alle ord og holdninger er mine egne.]

The characters knowingly screw up their own lives time and time again, and frankly it's incredibly annoying. The book is so full of clichés, that even the original elements in the story seem worn out and weary.

I had hoped for a war
Hannah
When picking up this book I also thought like many others it would be like David Nicholls One Day (I loved that book). I also wondered if it would be a little long at first but once I got into it, this book could never be long enough to know enough about all the characters. This book however deserves it's own praise for being a fabulous piece of storytelling that is different to One Day.

It was different, which I liked the two main love interests didn't meet properly until quite near the end. I
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
The best way to enjoy this novel is to avoid reading the blurb and go into it with no expectations about the plot. It is a thoroughly engaging saga about two people and the directions their lives take over the years on the path to maturity. Both Tess and Gus are intricately drawn characters who feel and act so realistically that readers will likely miss them once the book is complete. Once the reader gets into the rhythm of the story, the tale is difficult to put down until the conclusion.
Tess a
Laurence R.
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me so happy and so sad at the same time, and I absolutely loved it! I highly recommend it.
Tiana
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a weird one for me. I liked the idea of the story, but I don't believe the author has executed it as well as they could have. So much infidelity and just general disloyalty were excessive throughout the entire book. And at the end of it all, we only managed to get a couple of chapters with the two leading character; and to me, it was rushed, and there was zero chemistry and reasoning for them to even end up together.

I know how the author wanted it to be, I could see where she was going
Meg - A Bookish Affair
In "Miss You," Kate Eberlen explores the idea of whether or not there is a person for everyone, a person that matches them so well that any other relationship will pale in comparison. Are our relationships fate or happenstance? We meet Gus and Tess in this book and the readers can see that they would be perfect for each other. They don't know each other and they will spend the entire book crossing paths but not knowing each other. Will true love be found?

I don't necessarily believe in fate when
Deborah
Regular readers of my reviews will be shocked that I read this book... which probably can be classified as 'romance'. Indeed, it reminded me of my Maeve Binchy-loving days as it was a little saga-like and not necessarily in a bad way.

Tess and Gus meet but barely when they're 18 and just out of school. It's not particularly memorable but both seem to sense something in the other... a connection of sorts - recognising a kindred spirit perhaps.

Their lives move on, though because we're following bot
Delores
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't like it. Don't recommend it. Enough said.
Helen Eddon
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beginning in August 1997, Miss You follows the lives of Tess and Gus. In 1997, they are both 18 years old and about to go to university following holidays in Italy. However, life is never as simple or straightforward as you expect. Gus does begin his medical degree but Tess finds herself at home, taking care of her 5 year old sister following the death of her mother. Tess and Gus found their paths crossing very briefly in Italy, they should have met at university and there are fleeting encounter ...more
Wendy Bunnell
Miss You covers 18 years of separate lives of August / Gus and Theresa / Tess / Tree after they briefly meet but don't really connect while both on vacation in Italy in 1997. They both deal with their respective launching, family dramas, friendships, other relatinships, etc. Told in alternating chapters, they keep having glimpses and near misses over 18 years.

It reminded me of "alternate reality" books like Maybe in Another Life and The Post-Birthday World in that it was repetitive, with period
Sasha
Jul 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*SPOILERS*

I don't understand why anyone likes this book. The characters aren't likable. They cheat on each other, lie to each other, and generally use people or are content to let their lives pass them by with someone else at the wheel. They aren't interesting and you don't root for them. And good God, is it depressing. Thumbs down to whatever algorithm put it in my recs, and to the many people who champion it - yes, the writing is decent, but the substance just isn't there.

The description of I
Labmonkey
Aug 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh!!! The last 35 pages were the best of the book and I only finished it because I bought it outright and paid too much for it to discard. I am so mad at myself for not checking Goodreads reviews before the purchase.

I hated this book and the only thing that gave me pleasure was the infidelities that occurred to keep it somewhat interesting. I can't believe I am even saying that but, Geez it was just so damn depressing to read.

Why did the authour have to s*** all over the Tess' life and make it
Hallie Szott
2.5

I feel misled by the One Day comparison.

Reading Challenge Categories:
-#Ampersand2019 Reading Challenge: A book you won/were gifted
Vicki (MyArmchairAdventures)
MISS YOU, according to reviews on here, is either a hate it or love it book and I’m solidly in the “loved it” category. A tender, poignant story of Tess and Gus who meet briefly one summer in Florence when they are 18 and whose lives and paths cross and intertwine for almost two decades before they actually get to know each other. MISS YOU explores the Butterfly Effect theory and how one event can change the course of your life. But it’s also a book about the belief that the one person you are m ...more
Le Quynh Huong
First thing first, I have read like the whole month within more than 400 pages just for the two guys to finally meet. But it did worth anyway, I love to observe.

I bought this at the annual book fair, pretty long time ago, and my three points for picking this up was 1) this book looked impressive and 2) it mentioned something about One Day which was my favorite book and movie and 3) it had not been translated to my mother tongue so I would have no other way to finish it than just go with what I b
Gina Morphy
Helen
This book completely won me over, and had me reading at every available moment, absolutely riveted and engaged, caring so deeply for the gorgeous main characters Tess and Gus, desperate to get back to them as soon as I could. Beautifully written, with realistically flawed, believable, beautifully developed characters. Such a charming book, with echoes of One Day. Extremely enjoyable, warm and charming.
Georgia
I read a review of this book and it's apparent comparison to One Day. The story was engaging enough , but none of the characters were particularly sympathetic and the hero most of all seemed to have no moral compass. I also found it hard to believe that anyone would still be able to be best friends with someone who had stolen their fiancé; The ending was really contrived , not to say rushed. After all that they declared undying love within hours which , to me , was unbelievable. At least at the ...more
Katlyn Duncan
MISS YOU was a book of many feelings for me. In all honesty, this book was almost a DNF for me. In the first few chapters I didn't connect with the characters as well as I liked. I say this because if you happened to feel the same way as me, I urge you to continue. This book became less about Gus and Tess together but as two separate people who were destined to meet again several times in their lives and "miss" each other each time. I enjoyed their robust lives with up and downs (mostly downs), ...more
Nina
Jun 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
listened to the audiobook. fun concept, but it fell a bit short. some of the “misses” didn’t do anything for the story and felt weirdly forced. i also was kinda let down by the ending. as a whole it wasn’t a bad book, just not as good as it could’ve been.
Sandra Heinzman
I started this over a month ago, and then put it aside. Then I started it over this week and couldn’t put it down until it was finished! It’s a really good first novel and I loved the story. A fun read and a good story with a happy ending. Recommend it!

• The Flatshare
  • The Switch
  • Vedet silmissä
  • Saturdays at Noon
  • Would Like to Meet
  • Kvinnorna på Flanagans (Flanagans, #2)
  • Messy, Wonderful Us
  • The Authenticity Project
  • Fröken Liljekonvalj
Kate Eberlen grew up in a small town thirty miles from London and spent her childhood reading books and longing to escape. She studied Classics at Oxford University before working in publishing and as a teacher. Kate now lives on the south coast of England, but spends as much time as she can in Italy, a country she loves. She is married with one son.

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...
“It's funny how when you get towards the end of a holiday, half of you never wants it to end and the other half is looking forward to the comforts of home.” 7 likes
“I was surprised in retrospect how much we'd had in common just by virtue of being in the same family.” 2 likes