Start by marking “The Old Man's Request: Book One of the Utgarda Trilogy” as Want to Read:
The Old Man's Request: Book One of the Utgarda Trilogy

Read Book

The Old Man's Request: Book One of the Utgarda Trilogy

Fifty years ago, a group of college friends dabbled in the occult and released a malign presence on the world. Now, on his deathbed, the last of the students enlists the aid of three newcomers to banish the thing they summoned.

Hampered by the old man's greedy son, the wizened director of the university library, and a private investigator with a troubled past, can Russian
Published November 3rd 2018 by Rantings of a Wandering Mind

To ask other readers questions about The Old Man's Request, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Old Man's Request

Start your review of The Old Man's Request: Book One of the Utgarda Trilogy
Crow112101
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a life long gamer, many spent playing in the settings created by Lovecraft and Call of Cthulhu, the first thing that caught my eye was the cover of The Old Man's Request. The cover art captured the feel and spirit of those worlds instantly and I knew I was going to be in for a treat with this story.

The characters are well thought out and guided by Joab's deft hand with physical descriptions, speech nuances, and behavioral quirks they were brought to life quickly in my mind. Joab's attention
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book reminded me of the horror novels I read back when I was in high school. Dark, brooding, paranormal with a Gothic feel. It will keep upi on the edge of your seat.
Do not read this book if you will be alone in the house for the rest of the night.
Great characters and enough plot twists to keep you consumed with curiosity.
Joab Stieglitz
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed By Jack Magnus for Readers Favorite

The Old Man's Request: Book One of the Utgarda Trilogy is a supernatural thriller written by Joab Stieglitz. Jason Longborough, a senior trustee of Reister University, was ailing and had asked for both Anna Rykov, an anthropologist and expert in Ancient Russian Vikings, or Varangians, and Father Sean O'Malley, an ancient history professor who specialized in middle and far eastern history, to attend his bedside in the university hospital. His doctor,
Fred
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book! The author did an awesome job of putting me in the middle of the action. The details of the 1920's characters and scenery were so real. I read most of the book in one sitting. I could not put it down! I spent most of the time on the edge of my seat and had to finish it. I can't wait for the next book of the trilogy. This is a must-read for anyone who likes a books of a lite horror genre.
MarytheBookLover
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Tour 3/29 on the Blog!!
Julie
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
Not a huge fan I have to admit. The story had promise but petered out two thirds of the way through. There was no sense of urgency or suspense and I didnt care one way or the other if the characters were successful or not. #NetGalley ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book free from the author after winning it on Goodreads for a honest review. I always like paranormal and demons but this book is certainly different. A couple characters I didn't suspect were the bad guys actually were or possessed by the demon. And this is not the end. More to come I think.
Annie
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

The Old Man's Request is the first book in the Utgarda series by Joab Stieglitz. Released 3rd Nov. 2018, it's 113 pages and available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook formats. The author is an experienced gamer and it shows in the narrative. This is a very plot driven horror novel set in a very Lovecraftian/pulp type universe.

It's a group mission plot with several specialist adventurers and lots of encounters with nasty supernatural creatures and
L.A. DiPaolo
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved Mr. Stieglitz's "The Old Man's Request." I loved the title, and it is what first hooked me. It was easy to get hooked by the characters as well, though I never got to like the doctor very much. But the Russian anthropologist and the priest were easy characters to love or be captivated by, as was the detective, a late entrant into the story. At first, I wasn't sure if he was a good guy or a bad one. And I remain perplexed by what happened to Dr. Rykov when she slept in Dr. Lamb's living ...more
Will
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I picked this book up (along with the others in the series) after meeting and having a discussion with the author at a con.
Overall, it was a decent plot, but it would have benefited from a bit more editing. There were several mis-usued or overused phrases and grammatical mistakes. In one case, a single sentence says two contradictory statements regarding timing of an event. The descriptions seemed to be a little forced rather than flowing into the narrative and the final contest between the
Denice Langley
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An original story line featuring several very unique characters. Joab Stieglitz has built an "Outer Limits" back story around a university. This is the first book in a trilogy, so the time and effort taken to develop the characters and back story not only make this book much better, it sets up the reader to move into the next book. The cover and the description were enough to catch my attention but the book delivers much more than expected.
William Tracy
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an interesting Lovecraftian story about three people fulfilling a dying man's request to stop a demon summoned many years before. The prose and dialogue were a little stiff, but once I got into the story, it was interesting and held my attention.
Yvonne Kanocz
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I enjoyed this book but felt like there were area's that could of had more detail. That's why I gave it four stars.
Mark
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent occult mystery in the tradition of H. P.Lovecraft. Shades of Sherlock Holmes, too, in a tale of cosmic horror. Good storytelling and a fast-paced style makes this well worth a read! Looking forward to the next volumes in this series!
Scott Hensley
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read. I enjoyed this one.
 Reading Reindeer
I've read four books in the Utgarda series, and I adored them all. So much that is resonant of H. P. Lovecraft and other Weird Fiction of the 1920's and 1930's, of that hopeful yet subconsciously disillusioned era between "the War to end all Wars" and the next, possibly even worse, World War, colours this series. For a lover of History and of Weird Fiction, this is a total delight. The characters are well-delineated, the plot is simultaneously exciting and adventurous. Mr. Stieglitz talentedly ...more
KATRINA
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads win

A quick and good read. It really held my attention. Written well. The characters really pulled the story together
Oona
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Re-reading in order to absorb
more!
So glad I did. Three dimensional characters, fast moving plot, very descriptive scenes (especially the supernatural ones). Eagerly awaiting the second book.
Chad Bowser
rated it did not like it
Dec 21, 2018
Erin
Oct 20, 2016
Mitch
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Old mans request is the first book in a trilogy by Joab Stieglitz, the story follows three main characters Professor Anna Rykov, Father O'Malley and Dr Lamb an unlikely trio that come together because Jason Longborgh the universities trustee is dying and calls them in because when he was younger him and his friends released some kind of malevolent spirit in a house and he needs their help in returning it.

The book took a bit of getting into it, Whilst I was reading it I felt there were bits
Jan Tubiolo
Nov 27, 2017
Marcia Manley
Jan 24, 2019
Kristin
This was a really fun read with an exciting plot that sucks you in. I also got a liking for several of the characters, such as the Russian anthropologist Anna Rykov, Doctor Harry Lamb, and Father Sean O'Malley. Now I'm keen on reading the rest of the series. If one is into mysteries and horror, The Old Man's Request is worth the read.

• Angel Manor
  • Wicked for Hire (Paranormal in Manhattan #1)
  • Horribly Haunted in Hillbilly Hollow (Ozark Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #1)
  • Plan of Action (Lantern Beach PD #5)
  • Last Chance Bride: Redemption Series Book 1
  • Mountain of the Dead
  • No Safe Place (Witness Protection Book 1)
  • Little Girl Lost (DI Robyn Carter, #1)
  • Run Away Baby
  • Little Girls Sleeping (Detective Katie Scott, #1)
  • EMBRACE THE WIND: An Historical Novel of the American West (Aislynn's Story Book 2)
  • Whisper (Pete Zende #1)
  • Still Waters
  • Viscera
  • The Abducted (A Riveting Kidnapping Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Perfect Crime
  • Squall Line (The Forgotten Coast #9)
  • The Last Victim (Violet Darger #2.5)
Joab Stieglitz was born and raised in the Warren, New Jersey. He is an Application Consultant for a software company.  He has also worked as a software trainer, a network engineer, a project manager, and a technical writer over his 30 year career. He lives in Alexandria, Virginia.

He is an avid tabletop RPG player and game master of horror, espionage, fantasy, and science fiction genres, including