Start by marking “Silent Source” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Silent Source

The hate is deep. The death is slow. The cause is silent.

You know that Atlanta PD has given up on a case when they call in Dr. Damon Keane. The sleuth scientist is quietly famous in forensic circles for unraveling the most daunting technical puzzles, but this case is bewildering.

Two people are already dead. The third victim, a priest, is dying by inches in an Atlanta hospi
Published October 3rd 2016 by Stealth Books (San Diego)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Source, please sign up.
James Marshall Smith Thank you for asking! I am working on another thriller, set in the West and not yet titled. Hopefully, the book will be out in the fall. I can…moreThank you for asking! I am working on another thriller, set in the West and not yet titled. Hopefully, the book will be out in the fall. I can guarantee that it, too, will be a fast-paced mystery loaded with science and surprises.(less)

Stacy
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had can't-put-the-book-down-syndrome with this one. This was a very edge of your seat, just one more page book. I found it very well written, with a good, believable storyline, and I like stories I can believe. Lots of unexpected twists and turns held my attention. Mr. Smith's expertise about the subject matter was evident throughout the book due to his impressive real life career. I thought the characters well developed, with their own struggles and issues apart from the main story. I would r ...more
William Bitner Jr.
Just finished reading “Silent Source” by James Marshall Smith. I received a signed copy as a win on Goodreads.com so I’d like to first say thank you James for that.

This was James’ debut novel. A Medical Thriller Suspense done with a great deal of expertise and based on actual science and facts. Throw in a bit of espionage, murder and world travel and you have quite an adventure. I could not put this book down...just sucks you in and won’t let you go. Great characters and a wonderful believable s
Blanca Rosa
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unsettling story and gripping twists
The hero of this book is the suave and debonair scientist, Damon Keane. Although he has a large personal wealth, he enjoys helping the Atlanta P.D. to solve their most puzzling cases. In this case seemingly unrelated people are dying of radiation poisoning. Keane finds that the perpetrator is one lone individual with an agenda and that he has friends in high places who facilitate his crimes. He is planning a high-profile terrorist attack in his own homeland –
Frances I. Guempel
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Silent Source

This is a very good read. Action all the way. Damon is a very likeable character as well as a smart sleuthing.
Fjbortz
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
DEFINITELY RECOMMEND

What an excellent read! I'd recommend this book for anyone who is interested in reading a story with lots of suspense!
Bella
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In a genre full of eccentric detectives and narrative gimmicks, author James Marshall Smith distinguishes Keane with the plausible investigative processes he employs to get his answers. All Keane needs is a worthy adversary, and Smith gives him an exceptional one in a technician at a local oncology center that turns out to be far more than he seems. The ensuing race against the clock spirals into a breathtaking and readily believable global manhunt.

Smith, founding chief of the radiation studies
Karen Gail Brown
Daemon Keane is a doctor. But instead of a regular practice, he is on call for cases that are rare and require special technical skills. In this case, the mayor of Atlanta asks Keane to consult on a situation in which two patients had already died and another, a priest, was just brought to Atlanta's Grady hospital with the same symptoms. The doctors are completely stumped, and the mayor decided to call Keane in to consult. When four Mexican laborers are found dead with similar symptoms, the poli ...more
Don E. Jarvis
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Captivated By The Intrigue and Suspense.

The book was fascinating - a true suspense thriller. The characters were superbly developed. It was easy to follow the unfolding plot. I had a hard time putting the book down. This story would easily lend itself to the big screen for its relevancy to today. James Patterson readers would love this book. Kudos to Jim Smith!
Lori Tatar
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silent Source is one good read! James Marshall Smith delivers a heck of a good story with plenty of explosive plot twists. Tiny spoiler: I am certain another Damon Keane novel is in the works, and I won't be missing out on it. As much as the story moves along at a steady and quick pace, the ending is more of a crescendo until....Okay, no more spoilers, large or small. This is a perfect thriller, with a very humane protagonist.
Susan Csoke
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A killer is on the loose. Two people are dead and a third is dieing, a priest whose rosary beads mysteriously turned blood red.>> Dr. Damon Keane must take down his man before an entire city is annihilated by death.>>INTENSE>> THANKYOU GOODREADS FOR THIS FREE BOOK!!!!!
Doreen McDonald
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this book. Full of surprises!
Patricia Mount
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Captivating, fast paced

This story combines medical thrillers with the true threats that face America and other countries who fight against terrorism both at a domestic and foreign level. Both Fast paced, and captivating the Author grabs the readers attention from the very beginning and takes you on a journey that exposes the potential for true evil in today's society
Grady
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
‘All men should strive to learn before they die what they are running from and to and why.’ —James Thurber

Georgia author James Marshall Smith comes to his debut novel with a career that assures the reader that the quality of story and the sensitivity of the writing are well prepared. James is a scientist whose range of contributions is from space satellites to molecular biophysics. He was founding chief of the radiation studies branch of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in At
Judy Thompson
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read

Grabbed me and didn't let go until the last page of the Afterward. I was so hoping that there I would find that Mr. Smith had written yet another book! Please write another Mr. Smith.
Nichole Streeter
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I recently finished reading the book, Silent Source: A Medical Thriller: by James Marshall Smith, and I really enjoyed the read. It had a compelling plot, and well fleshed out characters, and kept me at the edge of my seat wanting to read more.

The book begins with an intruiging medical mystery that soon exposes a serial killer. Unfortunately this serial killer is shown to be more than just your average psychopath, and is exposed as a terrorist with plans to unleah more chaos into the world befor
LyndaVee
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The idea at the heart of this thriller is that anyone with an agenda can get hold of radioactive material. In the afterword the author, James Marshall smith, comments that, “over a recent ten year period there have been more than fifteen hundred confirmed incidents of illicit trafficking of nuclear and radiological material worldwide….In some countries radioactive materials appear on the black market with drugs and contraband.” The author clearly knows what he is talking about, having been found ...more
Mimi Schroeder
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing thrill ride through Atlanta, Russia and London while the engaging Damon Keane and his sexy sidekick Jesse follow the trail of a madman who knows where to find nuclear waste and how to use it to build a dirty bomb. What I like most about this debut novel, in addition to the believable characters and well-drawn dialogue, is that it's not just idle speculation! The author is a biophysicist who bases the story on solid science. Smith was part of post 9-11 terrorist scenarios as a nuclear rad ...more
Tracy (The Pages In-Between)
I was given this book for free, in exchange for an honest review

I enjoyed this book, it was fast paced, the characters were well written, and well described. I am a big YA reader, and I love New Adult too. So this book was a little out of my comfort zone. However, this book was enjoyable, which made it hard to put down. I feel like i was taking on an adventure. I was in London, and in Georgia. I amhappy I won it as a part of a Goodreads giveaway.
Maureen
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a Goodreads Giveaway and it was wonderful to read. Fast paced, easy to follow and short chapters which made me want to keep reading just one more each time! Damon Keane is on call to help police track down people and he was asked to help trace Felix Thornton. I don't want to spoil anything so people can read the synopsis of the book and decide for themselves if they wish to try.
Beth Mcintyre
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't know this was on Goodreads...this is one of the authors from the GLA Author's Reception. He's very nice and I thoroughly enjoyed his book!
Gwen
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Thrilling. Well thought out. Engaging characters. Definitely a must read. I can't wait for further novels to come.
Suzi
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Could not put it down! Thank you goodreads giveaways. I hope James marshall Smith writes a sequel. A great writer!
Elena Alvarez Dosil
My original Silent Source audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Damon Keane is assigned to assist on a case of terrorism in Atlanta. The victims appear with terrible symptoms just to die shortly after. Keane is working with the Atlanta P.D., but at the same time, there is a struggle since they don't agree with Keane's decisions and ways.

From time to time I like to immerse myself in a thriller, feel the emotion of a page-turner. What I found different from this one t
SS
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery, thriller, and suspense readers
Shelves: crime, fiction, thriller
4 1/2 stars

I enjoyed reading this book. I thought the plot was interesting and scary. It made me wonder if this could happen. I recently listened to an audio book that touched on the same subject, and it makes you stop and think.

I thought the beginning of Silent Source was powerful and it grabbed my attention from page one. The story is a medical one; it's filled with action, unpredictable, alarming, suspenseful, filled with twists, turns, and tension. Lots of good stuff for a debate novel.

On
Andrew Langert
I met this author at the 2017 Amelia Island book festival. I bought his book, but can’t honestly say I enjoyed it.
This is about a loony terrorist using chemical weapons to kill people. We know early that he is the killer, so there is no mystery here. Instead, we have a scientific consultant to the police trying to chase the guy, who is performing his crimes in Atlanta before escaping to Russia.
So, not much of a plot but a lot of characters, who we get to know only superficially. The rapidly-cha
Eirik
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a thrilling read.

The story and plot are frightening and unfortunately quite realistic.

The story starts with Dr. Damon Keane as the main character, but we also get some passages where the main protagnist plays a major part. Without spoiling anything, the episodes where the "preparation" takes place are well written and page-turning.

The book is well written with a rich and varied language, even for someone who does not have English as a native language.

I enjoyed it and are expecting mor
lwally
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very Real Very Scary Scenario

This book is very well written. It holds the readers attention from the beginning with the perfect blend of twists and turns. Truly a page turner with a nail biting climax
This is first book I've read by James Marshall Smith. Looking forward to reading his other books.
David Huelsmann
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Not a bad story at all. Characters were developed adequately and there were no editing errors that I detected. Essentially this was a story about a serial killer who used radiation to kill his victims in the Atlanta area. It's not a long read and I finished it in one day.
Tonya
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
The story is fine and from the other reviews I feel I missed “something” and I honestly think it was because I listened to it instead of read it and the reader I thought was awful so that just annoyed me to no end. I would suggest reading not listening to this book.
Linda Dillon
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wild Ride

This was a great story. There are many threads to the story so I had to pay attention as I read to keep track of it all. I recommend this book.
Could fiction become reality? 1 2 Sep 08, 2016 06:53PM
  • Tender (The Trelawneys of Williamsburg #1)
  • Dark Heart (A Cooper & Quinn Mystery, #1)
  • Dragon's Debt (The Dragon and the Scholar #2)
  • Sabotage
  • Redheart (Leland Dragon #1)
  • Founders' Keeper (David and Martin Yerxa, #1)
  • The Angolan Clan (The African Diamonds Trilogy #1)
  • The Slip (I Bring the Fire, #4.5)
  • Sight Unseen: The Haunting Of Blackstone Manor
  • Enemy Within
  • The Hack: International Crime Thriller (Hunter/O'Sullivan Adventure Book 1)
  • Kill Switch
  • Warrior: The Moondark Saga, Books 1-3 (The Moondark Saga Boxed Sets)
  • The Curse Merchant (The Dark Choir #1)
  • Doll House
  • The Pocket Watch (The Pocket Watch Chronicles #1)
  • The Alex Vane Media Thrillers #1-3
  • The Last Alchemist
James Marshall Smith is a writer and scientist, whose novels are informed--and sometimes inspired!--by his varied research career, from space satellites to molecular biophysics. He was Chief of Radiation Studies for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta for over a decade and has served in consulting or advisory roles on nuclear-threat countermeasures for the International ...more
“Like fashion, torture comes in a variety of styles.” 1 likes
Rules are rules was stuffed into him from the crib like he was a Thanksgiving turkey.” 1 likes