Start by marking “Light the Lamp (Portland Storm, #3)” as Want to Read:
Light the Lamp (Portland Storm, #3)

Light the Lamp

(Portland Storm #3)

Hockey star Liam Kallen lost his scoring touch when his wife died. Still broken up over her loss, Liam’s darkness overpowers him, but his new team—the Portland Storm—needs him. A chance meeting brings him face to face with Noelle Payne, the most positive and upbeat woman he’s ever met, and his darkness begins to fade.

There’s never been a challenge that Noelle can’t
Published July 10th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published June 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Light the Lamp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light the Lamp

Start your review of Light the Lamp (Portland Storm, #3)
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
I've really enjoyed the rest of this series, but this book just did not work for me AT ALL. The general writing talent in this book (solid writing style, good grammar and editing, great sports scenes, fun secondary characters) deserves at least 3 stars, but because of how much I could not stand the heroine I had to drop it down to 1 star. I did not buy the romance at all, because of circumstances, but mostly because of the heroine.

I am so not normally the type to bitch about a female main
Jacqueline J
Irina
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sports, hockey
4/15 -- I loved the Portland Storm series so far, but this book was absolutely disappointing. Everything happens much too fast and was just unbelievable. The hero was okay but the heroine was annoying and unnerving and I really really hated her and her demands on Liam on opening up to her after just a few days of knowing each other. The two stars are just for Babs and the other team mates and the hockey scenes.

I hope the series is getting better again!

___
Komplette Rezension:
LaFleurBleue
Highly disappointing book in comparison with the others in this series.
I found both characters uninspiring, extremely static ie non developing over the story, and especially for Noelle unrealistic and unable to seem like a real person and not just a book character.
I never did understand what the hero saw in Noelle so as to fall in love that quick with her and how she managed to make him stop mourning his deceased wife. Obviously she had some redeeming qualities, like being easy to talk to,
Rowan

I'm really enjoying this series. All the characters are likable and I love that each of them has gone through something tough in their pasts and it's all about finding a good life again with someone they love.

The story was so sweet and I loved how it was written; Gayle's an amazing author. As I said, the hero and heroine were both lovable, which I don't see nearly often enough in books. They had real issues that came from really honest and valid places and yet they didn’t let that stop
RoloPoloBookBlog
Source: Author
Rating: 3/5 stars
Up to this point, I have been a fan of Catherine Gayle’s Portland Storm series but, Light the Lamp really tested my loyalty. To be clear, this is still a solidly written novel with little to no editing, formatting, etc. kinds of issues. My sole issue with Light the Lamp lies with one character and one character only. Here’s the skinny:

Noelle Payne is the very definition of a human disaster. After losing her job and in an effort to preserve the money left to her by
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

4 STARS

This is one of those reviews that is hard to write because while I loved parts of this book other parts left me scratching my head so it felt a little uneven. Overall the story was good, I adored the hero but the heroine drove me a little bit nuts.
So while not my favorite of the series so far, I still enjoyed Light The Lamp and don’t regret the time I spent reading it at all; not by a long shot.
Liam “Kally” Kallan is a tortured hero.
Kristal Taylor
Have you ever read a book that frustrated you so much but you just couldn't get enough of it? This was that book for me. Noelle frustrated me because she expected Liam to give her something she wasn't even giving him; complete vulnerability. And she made some pretty dumb choices. Seriously dumb and dangerous. Liam frustrated me because she kept telling him what she needed and he kept not hearing her, not understanding and not bothering to ask for clarification. At the same time, I understood ...more
Kim
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Although I totally loved Liam Kallan, Noelle was a little odd and some of her actions just grated on me. They had interesting back stories but the present story line was a little too unrealistic for me. But I still enjoyed getting to know the sweet, sexy, generous Liam who had his own wounded soul and getting more with the other characters in the background.
CC
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Waaay too much Liv. I just do not like a lot of the dead spouse in the story. Constantly. I know Liam's story was sad and Noelle handled the dead wife issue really well. Almost too well. I just never felt Liam really loved Noelle. He could not let go of Liv. It turned me off to the story.
Alex (HEABookNerd)
Series: Portland Storm #3
Rating: 2 stars - it was ok

One Sentence Summary: When hockey player Liam Kallen helps Noelle Payne on the side of the road he's shocked to find out she's homeless and he's determined to help Noelle, so he takes her home and gives her a place to stay.

I have a lot of conflicting feelings about Light the Lamp so this review might be all over the place. At the surface, I enjoyed seeing more of the Portland Storm and Jamie was an absolute delight; I can't wait for his story.
Marissa Chavez
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was about love and loss. I think Liam found Noelle at the perfect timing. They both needed each other without even realizing t. I love how Noelle was about everything. She always had a smile on her face and she felt everything around her. I loved that Liam wanted to help her and be there for her. Noelle and Liam were perfect for one another.

P.S. I still love Babs the most.
Javíthatatlan
May 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
"Liam Kallen wasn’t just a man who was dead set on helping me; he was a man with a heart big enough that he wanted to help even the people who’d left him broken."

He deserves sooo much better than Her.
An that girl deserves to be hit in the face with a hockey stick.

FicCentral
FicCentral.com

This was a tough one for me. Noelle is kind of a free-spirit, and after her parents were killed, she's done all she could to support her younger brothers. She gave up her own college education to finish raising them and then worked her fingers to the bone to send them off to the Ivy League. It's impossible not to respect a sister that would rise to the occasion like that. However, when financial cutbacks leave her unemployed, she ends up losing their house, and then a freak accident destroys her
Dali
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light the Lamp is sweet, sexy and inspiring, it will have you smiling as brightly as Noelle’s cheery disposition and make you want to believe people so giving live among us as well as move you to try to be like them.

Noelle has been down on her luck because she recently lost her job and then her house, but her viewpoint isn’t keeping luck company. She has a positive attitude knowing she’ll find a solution to her problems especially since worry has never rolled up its sleeves and solved
Debbie
Jun 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The audible version is a great way to get a 360º feel of this fast paced sports romance. The narrator, Angel Clark has a great grasp on all the different voices and inflections, plus her delivery of all the emotions is fantastic.

Gayle’s Portland Storm series continues, focusing on the life and times of a professional hockey team, its players plus dealing with some real serious societal issues. In the case of book 3 untimely death and homelessness. Her hockey jargon filled narrative keeps fans in
Patricia
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I keep crying

I have managed to read all the books in this series. I keep thinking, "I've got myself under control, there will be no more tears. These are just stories." Then, three tissues later, I continue with the book. This time around, the issues aren't about trying to get past pain that was purposely inflicted, or the enemy that is disease, but rather, the pain that lingers after all the grief is supposedly gone. And what denial looks like, from the outside and from the inside.
I love these
Nelly
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was a little exaggerated for my taste.

Noelle and Liam have a great spark and they both have really big hearts. Noelle's behavior when she didn't have anywhere to go was ridiculous to me. I understand not wanting to take advantage of someone or "free loading" off of them but really?? You'd rather sleep on a park bench than let someone you love and loves you help. Someone you could bust your butt to pay back if it was really that important??

Just a little too much.
Dar
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a poignant and sweet story, it left me smiling and sad all at the same time. Noelle was such a sweetie and Liam is such a sweetheart, their story is heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time

Needless to say, I loved their story and the characters!
Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~
Ok. So despite some of the reviews I read and the fact that Noelle was a bit strange, I really liked this book. I admit the first half was a little frustrating but the HEA and the fact I understood the protagonists better by the end made me smile. I can't wait to continue on in the series.
Marisela Chavez
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I love going back and reading about the Portland Storm team. Noelle and Liam were brought into each other lives in right movement for the both of them.
Tahsin
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: his-her, mediocre, sports
Meehhhh. The most underwhelming story of the series so far. Couldn't connect to either characters, and didn't connect to the story as a reason
Liz
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Liam is painted in such lovely, albeit sad, tones that they're in striking contrast to Noelle.

L meets her when he sees her car pulled over on the side of the highway and it reminds him of how his wife died. He convinces her to get off the highway with him and within 10 minutes her car is hit and goes up in flames. Since she was living out of her car, it wipes out everything she owned except for a few precious items she stowed in her purse.

L takes her in and she ends up living with L and Babs.
Liam Kallen is a Swedish NHL player, that was recently traded to the Portland Storm from the New York Islanders. Before that, he had lost his wife and unborn child in a tragic accident. He believes this led to his current inability to score, hence the reason he was traded.

Noelle Payne is what you could call a "free spirit". She is sweet, giving, loving, and almost always happy. Her unquestioningly accepting nature leads to a series of events that makes her homeless. Kally finds her on the side
Casey
Review originally posted at Ramblings From This Chick

Light the Lamp is the third book in Catherine Gayle's contemporary sports romance series about the Portland Storm hockey team. These books can all be read as standalones but do contain interconnected characters and the story does continue from one book to the next. Even though it isn't absolutely necessary to start at the beginning, I would definitely recommend it so that you get to know all the characters and see how they have all got to
Ruth
Lisa
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I've loved the Portland Storm series until this one. I found Noelle's character to be overly whiney and a little bit juvenile, especially for a mature man like Liam. I can respect her not wanting to mooch off of him, IMO she could have made some different choices and given him more than a week to open up to her.
Liam and Babs saved this one for me! I'll probably read the next one but need a little break.
Murr
Mar 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Got to agree with others who gave a bad review. The heroine was awful. Didn't want to be a burden, but did nothing to change her circumstances. Just get a job (or 2 or 3) any job. Also, just rude not telling anyone where she was and wondering why they worry? Really? Always wants others to do what she thinks they need, but not giving the same in return. Liam--- ditch this idiot.
Lora
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Liam and Noelle meet under the strangest of circumstances and set the stage for a wonderful story! I was engaged from the first page and really cheering for these two to have everything they desired! My heart broke a couple of times, but the healing of it was the best part(s) of the story! This author has really captured my attention and I am loving all the stories of the Portland Storm team!!!
Livia Rabelo
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I just don't get it, why complicate something so simple? sometimes the most beautiful stories are the simplest... That's the reason this book didn't work out for me, it started well, I was warming up to the story and then it all fell apart, there were better ways to imput some conflict in the relationship. For me, it just felt unnatural...
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Face-Off at the Altar (Assassins, #12)
  • Delayed Call (Assassins, #13)
  • Clipped by Love (Bellevue Bullies, #2)
  • Top Shelf (Aces Hockey, #3)
  • Back Check (Aces Hockey, #4)
  • 4 & Counting (Assassins #4.6)
  • Winger (Seattle Sharks #3)
  • Overtime (Assassins, #10)
  • Breakaway (Heller Brothers, #1)
  • Off Limits (Aces Hockey, #1.5)
  • Rookie (Seattle Sharks #4)
  • The Final Move (Hometown Players, #3)
  • Major Misconduct (Aces Hockey, #1)
  • Crush: A Single Dad Hockey Romance (Boston Brawlers, #3)
  • Icing (Aces Hockey, #2)
  • Enforcer (Seattle Sharks, #2)
  • Skater (Seattle Sharks #6)
  • Axel (Carolina Reapers #1)
***Please note that series numbering of the Portland Storm series is different at Goodreads than it is on Catherine's website or at any retailer. Goodreads policy will not allow the series numbering to match anything else. If this confuses you, please complain to Goodreads, as it is not Catherine's fault.***

Catherine Gayle is a USA Today bestselling author of more than forty contemporary hockey

Portland Storm (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Breakaway (Portland Storm, #1)
  • On the Fly (Portland Storm, #2)
  • Delay of Game (Portland Storm, #4)
  • In the Zone (Portland Storm, #5)
  • Comeback (Portland Storm, #6)
  • Dropping Gloves (Portland Storm, #7)
  • Losing an Edge (Portland Storm, #8)
  • Game Breaker (Portland Storm, #9)
  • Defensive Zone (Portland Storm, #10)
  • Power Play (Portland Storm, #11)
“He was a handsome man even when he was brooding, but when he was happy it was like a piece of his soul was shining through his eyes and piercing me with his goodness. “Are” 0 likes
“He said he loved me, but he didn’t know how I needed to be loved.” 0 likes