Start by marking “Killer Women (Crime Club Anthology, #1)” as Want to Read:
Killer Women (Crime Club Anthology, #1)

Killer Women

(Crime Club Anthology #1)

Blade-sharp and pared to the bone, these original stories by bestselling, award-winning female crime writers will lure you to the dark side. Fifteen perfectly twisted tales with a measure of evil, a dash of horror, and a dose of humour. Expect the unexpected…

Fifteen original stories by Jane Casey, Tammy Cohen, Sarah Hilary, Alison Joseph, Erin Kelly, Alex Marwood, Kate Med
Published September 15th 2016 by Killer Women Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Killer Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Women

Richard
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, audio-book
What a great idea for an anthology. 15 short stories from some of our best female authors who coalesce from time to time and form Killer Women.
Writers like Melaine McGrath, Sarah Hilary, Louise Voss, Alison Joseph, Helen Smith, Kate Medina and Laura Wilson were familiar to me having bought and read some of their work. The remaining authors were either new to me or outside my reading orbit.
However, new and old the majority of the stories here are interesting and well worth reading.
Some stand out
marjorie hall-venmore
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not too fond of short stories, having said that perhaps once in awhile might not be such a baddie idea to read a book of short stories once in awhile
Lynsey Farmer
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For a while I could not get myself into reading I had lost my spirit from it probably due to family members having a dig about how much I read etc.
This book which is made up of 15 stories made me realised how much I had missed and love reading.
I loved every single story and got introduced to new others such as Erin Kelly the one story that stood out for me was the Collette Mcbeth and Jane Casey I just wanted this stories to carry out.

Fantastic writing of short stories from amazing female author
Claire Kittridge
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Where to even start?? So dark and SO entertaining And SO smart. Particularly loved Alex Marwood's On the Undercliff, but honestly it's all a lesson in pacing style and guts. Lots of new authors for me start catching up with: Jane Casey, Tammy Cohen, Sarah Hilary, Alison Joseph, Erin Kelly, Alex Marwood, Kate Medina, Colette McBeth, Melanie McGrath, D. E. Meredith, Louise Millar, Kate Rhodes, Helen Smith, Louise Voss and Laura Wilson. Highly Recommend!
Susan  Pola
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the diversity in these stories - what a great creative mind these writers have collectively! Enjoy!
Thebooktrail
Killer Women preparation for the festival on October 15th in London Lots of lovely stories here

Val McDermid mentions in her foreword that when she thinks about collections of short stories, she likens herself to Little Jack Horner and wants to stick in her thumb and pull out a plum. Well there are plenty plum reads in this snappy collection.

With only a short time for the first Killer women festival to kick off, this is also a great chance to get to grips with the writers who are appearing on the
Trish R.
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

(1)The Window Man

What can I say? It was short and silly and had no ending. I don’t even remember if the MC even had a name. However, she was cray-cray. I can see why this was 15 authors and only 210 pages.
The narrator was good.

The F-bomb was used 17 times through the entire book.

(2)On The Undercliff

This was about Rose and Henry who were on vacation together and all they did was argue. Until The End!

The narrator was good and the F-bomb was used 17 through all the stories.

(3)The Previous Tenant

T
Lady Delacour
15 Short stories.
Some hits - some misses.
Found it interesting that the
stories that focused more on
a male character, overused
foul language. Plus, they were
read by the male narrator.
Narrators all did nice jobs.
Cleanish.
Foul Language.
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

Killer Women was a selection of 15 short stories by the most popular female crime writers of the moment.

My favourite stories were:

The Window Man by Louise Millar
Schiaperelli Pink Bikini by Melanie McGrath
The Rat Trap by Jane Casey
Don't know where, don't know when by Erin Kelly
Stop the Pigeon by Louise Voss and
Chance by Laura Wilson

I enjoyed this clever collection of short stories with a twist. Although I did prefer some stories more than others. Best of all it gave me
Pol
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
First time i have had a audio book,story was told well. It was only a short story but do perfair to read a book myself.
Susanne Mills
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I quite like short stories. It means I can keep the attention a little better. Some of these stories were better than others but I enjoyed most of them :)
Maggie Kiely
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read these and really could not warm to them One stood out namely the story by Louise Millar which was really good The others were ok no great shakes (in my opinion). I got this free through my library but would not recommend its purchase as in my opinion would be a total waste of money.
Suzanne
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Collection of Stories

I really enjoyed reading such varied stories by different authors. While I was already familiar with a few of these authors, the book introduced me to several new ones to check into. As with most books of short stories, there were a few I didn't like, but I really enjoyed most of them. Stop the Pigeon by Louise Voss was one of my favorites in a dark, slightly humorous way. One meek, mild mannered female secretary outmaneuvers two male producers. The Secret Ingredient b
Caroline
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This anthology contains 15 short stories by woman authors who can and do keep the reader guessing. Very diverse in content and length, all with a dark tone to them, its well on its way to becoming a classic. Carry this book with you to wait for an appointment or for a commute, you will be amazed at how quickly the wait time passes. I wouldn't recommend it for bed time reading as the mental images conjured up by these stories are pretty grim and might keep you awake. The short interviews with the ...more
Tien
If there were twists in some of the stories, the title rather gave it away... so they did not feel like a twist at all. There were also some stories where I didn't think there was a murder and therefore, no killer...? They were rather confusing! There were some pretty good thriller shorts, some strange ones, and a few disappointing ones but overall it's an okay read. Unfortunately, nothing really that triggered me to look up any of these authors' other works.
Donna
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting and enjoyable short story collection

Loved every short story in this collection. All hooked me straight away and each story was carefully crafted for maximum enjoyment! What a wonderful group of authors, can't wait for another collection...I hope.
Christine Rennie
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
It short story was a crafted piece of work in its own right. They were all interesting and insightful. Some stayed in your mind longer than others. All of them were well written and were all totally different. Highly recommended.
Barbara
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Wonderful range of short crime stories beautifully read by a cast of readers who perfectly capture the tone of each story.

A nice inclusion are the short interviews at the end with the authors.

A perfect afternoon's entertainment.
Linda L
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Not my ideal. Not enough meat on the bone of these short stories. However good to read on the train.
Kirstin
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Good collection of crime short stories
Stacey Woods
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic collection - and a handy introduction to some crime writers I'd not heard of... I'd definitely read a 2nd anthology from the club...
Landon
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book I don't know I cannot really say where I stand with this book. It didn't give me much to go by while listening to this book, It should've been longer so I could get a fill of it.
Claudia
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Fascinating
Shannon Weeden
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short story with a twist I didn't see coming, great lunchtime read.
Caroline Bennett
Nice collection of short stories. Because of the theme, some of the twists were unfortunately very easy to guess.
Bec
I had expectations about this anthology that just were not met. I was expecting quirky, witty stories of crime - similar to that riddle about the woman who kills her husband with a frozen ham and then serves the murder to the cops for dinner. Instead, I got a lot of meh, a little bit ahh... okay and a not much that was memorable.

Nothing really stood out to me. Except for the one with the crows which quite frankly was more of a horror short story than a crime short story?

It passed the time as an
Julia
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a wicked crop of 15 short stories by modern female crime writers, several of whom I’d read before but many more that I had not. Most of the stories are thrillingly entertaining, some are pretty funny and one or two of them are achingly heartbreaking.

Several of the stories could even sustain longer books: I would quite happily read more about Seb and Lisa from Colette McBeth’s The Edge, Shirley from Stop the Pigeon by Louise Voss, DI Berenice Killick and DS Mary Ashcroft from Alison Josep
Melissa
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I bought this super anthology on Audible after listening to the freebie The Window Man , written by Louise Millar and narrated by Claire Corbett. In one twenty-five minute tale, it reminded me of what I love about short stories and how much I've missed listening to them. There's nothing quite like setting off on a walk knowing that you'll be personally accompanied by a self-contained tale to while away the minutes. I first got into audiobooks by listening to pretty much every short story Stephe ...more
Mandie
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book just before I attended the first Killer Women Crime Festival. It is a collection of 15 short stories by some very talented writers some of which I was lucky enough to hear talk about their books and how they get their ideas.
This is the sort of book by its very nature you can dip in and out of when you are between books. Each short story was different, some I found a bit frustrating as characters didnt have time to develop and some I found that I wished were a full blown book.
Eleni
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
A few of them were excellent, but a bit of a mixed bag.

• Real Elves
  • Murder Under the Christmas Tree: Ten Classic Crime Stories for the Festive Season
  • Hydra (Six Stories, #2)
  • An Unspeakable Crime: The Prosecution and Persecution of Leo Frank
  • Missing Mom: A True Crime, True Family Story
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • Darkness Burning (Dark Realm, #3)
  • The Piano Player's Son
  • Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories
  • Naked Truths
  • Medical Mysteries: From the Bizarre to the Deadly . . . The Cases That Have Baffled Doctors
  • True Crime Stories: 10 Heinous True Crime Stories Of Sickly Serial Killers, Murderers And Sociopaths (True Crime Stories, True Crime, Serial Killers, Serial Killers True Crime, Cold Cases True Crime)
  • Over My Dead Body (Father Frank Mysteries #2)
  • Skeleton Sea (Forensic Geology #4)
  • Death On A Green (Jill Quint, MD, Forensic Pathologist #4)
  • More Than One Kind

Crime Club Anthology (2 books)
  • Killer Women (Crime Club Anthology, #2)
“Stop the Pigeon Louise Voss June” 0 likes