Start by marking “Circuits & Slippers” as Want to Read:
Circuits & Slippers

Circuits & Slippers

A collection of retold fairy tales with a science fiction twist.

Rapunzel is a soldier, the last remaining member of the human race, locked in a zoological tower on an alien planet. Doctor Belle must remain in quarantine with a powerful politician who has contracted a beastly disease. Jack sells his arm for a chance up the Stalk, the space elevator he hopes will take him t
Published September 29th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published September 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Circuits & Slippers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circuits & Slippers

J.L. Delozier
Sep 24, 2016 J.L. Delozier rated it it was amazing
I love anthologies – small bits of exquisite writing I can fit into my day without the commitment of a novel. The submissions are often collated by date, carefully culled from all the short stories published within a year by an editor with her own biases (think “The Year’s Best…”) Disagree with her choices? Then surely you don’t understand art, dahling.
In Circuits & Slippers, the stories are united by a common theme – fairy tales reimagined through a sci-fi filter – leaving the reader free
Will
Sep 22, 2016 Will rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, scifi
First, I have to say I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Begin honest review. Go.

This collection combines two of my favourite things—fairy tales and scifi. I’m fascinated by the intersection of fantasy and science fiction, and it’s really cool to see fairies translated into aliens, magic into technology, and ancient stories into futurescapes.

In a twitter chat with the authors recently, editor Jaylee James asked a question that strikes at the heart of the anth
Mindi Briar
Dec 21, 2016 Mindi Briar rated it it was amazing
This anthology is so great! If you have just finished Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles and are now wishing for MORE sci-fi fairy tales, this right here is what you are looking for.

I think my favorite was "Across the Stars," but I also enjoyed "Treating the Beast," "Spinward of the Sun," and "Compatible." Those were just the ones that stuck out; there weren't any stories that I really disliked. The whole anthology was fun, diverse, creative, and well worth reading.
Jennifer Lee Rossman
Sep 29, 2016 Jennifer Lee Rossman added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Full disclosure: I'm one of the authors. Also, I don't know exactly how to review a collection of stories so I'm just going to throw out some random thoughts.

I wish I had a book like this when I was younger. A book that tells us it's okay to twist your favorite stories into something new, that a princess doesn't have to sit around and wait to be rescued.

I think my favorite stories are China White and the Seven, by James Wood, which takes the story of Snow White to a delightfully disturbing place
Chasia Lloyd
***no star rating because I am a contributing author***

CIRCUITS & SLIPPERS! FAIRYTALES/FOLKLORE MEET SCI-FI! YAY!

This anthology is filled with a diverse set of stories ranging from romance to horror, each one fascinating and unique. Jaylee James worked hard to make sure there was a little something for everyone in here. I'm going to touch on each story very briefly:

- "The Slumbering Hill" by Diane Dubas is basically two stories blending into a f/f Sleeping Beauty with gorgeous worldbuilding
Michelle
Oct 01, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I generally struggle to review collections, because the stories are always so different, and it's hard to judge them as a whole. In this case, the diversity - particularly diversity of gender & sexuality - in these stories is part of what makes this collection fascinating. While there are a wide variety of styles, voices, and subgenres, all of the stories are unified by fairy tale inspirations with a sci-fi twist. I loved seeing all of the creativity springing from that theme! It was great t ...more
Stephanie Faris
Oct 18, 2016 Stephanie Faris rated it it was amazing
Circuits and Slippers blends technology and fairy tales, with each short story bringing a modern twist to the stories we've heard all our lives. I loved the variety in this book, which included plenty of adventure and even a little humor along the way. Leandra Wallace's take on the Princess and the Pea and Jennifer Lee Rossman's version of Goldilocks were my two favorites, but you can't go wrong with any of these stories!
Beth Summer
Oct 01, 2016 Beth Summer rated it it was amazing
I adored this anthology. So many different styles and stories. I was lucky enough to read Prina and the Pea early on, and was so happy to read it again. All the stories in here are unique and beautifully crafted. Loved!!!
ren
Sep 15, 2016 ren rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange of an honest review.

Circuits & Slippers is an anthology of fairy tales rettelings with a sci-fi twist. I'm not the biggest fan of fairy tales, but I do love a fairy tale retelling when the new version is original, different, but still, well, the fairy tale. That's the main reason Circuits & Slippers caught my attention.

I didn't recognize all fairy tales in this book though, but I was able to enjoy the stories anyway. My favorite was Alone, and P
Eben Mishkin
Oct 05, 2016 Eben Mishkin rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
There are an uncommon amount of great stories in this anthology, proving that Jaylee James has a great eye for what makes a story resound with readers. I usually like one or two stories in an anthology but here I deeply enjoyed more than half. I probably shouldn't really be reviewing this book as I wrote Spinward of the Sun, Handed of the Moon which is in the anthology, but completely ignoring my story this is a great anthology. This is a book with stardust in its hair and a hundred wonders to s ...more
Kyra
Mar 18, 2017 Kyra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-to-read
I truly savored this, letting each story sink in before continuing, because each story honestly deserved it. And I'm not just saying that because I'm mutuals with a majority of the authors, girlscout's honor. My favorites were Compatible by C.M Lloyd (adorable trans Rapunzel romance), Treating the Beast by L.G. Keltner (incredibly well-written Beauty & the Beast medical thriller), Some Assembly Required by Chrisopher Walker (cute The Fisherman & his Wife retelling but more like The Fishe ...more
Kerri
Kerri rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2016
Diane
Jan 01, 2017 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jan Stinchcomb
Jan Stinchcomb rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2017
Mary Sc
Mary Sc rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2017
Sarita Levinthal
Sarita Levinthal rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2016
Shannon McDermott
Jul 28, 2016 Shannon McDermott marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Lee Elliott
Lee Elliott marked it as to-read
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Claudie Arseneault
Jul 31, 2016 Claudie Arseneault marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Jennifer Donohue
Jennifer Donohue marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Margaret Labanowitz
Margaret Labanowitz marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
L.G. Keltner
Jul 31, 2016 L.G. Keltner marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Leandra
Aug 01, 2016 Leandra marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Hart
Hart marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Luke Bateman
Luke Bateman marked it as to-read
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Arianne
Arianne marked it as to-read
R Raifsnider
R Raifsnider marked it as to-read
Xan West
Xan West marked it as to-read
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
layla
layla marked it as to-read
Mizutama
Mizutama marked it as to-read
Meradeth Houston
Meradeth Houston marked it as to-read
Sioux Trett
Sioux Trett marked it as to-read
Rebecca Newman
Rebecca Newman marked it as to-read
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Marie Piper
Aug 03, 2016 Marie Piper added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Lorraine Ochoa
Lorraine Ochoa marked it as to-read
Leah Goodreau
Leah Goodreau marked it as to-read
TayteH
TayteH marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Demi-bisexual writer, editor, and story curator who spends way too much time on the internet. Er dogs are absolutely cuter than you.

Best known as the senior editor of Vitality Magazine, which published awesome stories featuring LGBT protagonists from 2014-2016.

(NOTE: I *rarely* check my private messages on Goodreads. If you need to get a hold of me, you're much better using email or twitter.)
More about Jaylee James...