Start by marking “Circuits & Slippers” as Want to Read:
Circuits & Slippers

Circuits & Slippers

A collection of retold fairy tales with a science fiction twist.

Rapunzel is a soldier, the last remaining member of the human race, locked in a zoological tower on an alien planet. Doctor Belle must remain in quarantine with a powerful politician who has contracted a beastly disease. Jack sells his arm for a chance up the Stalk, the space elevator he hopes will take him t
Published September 29th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published September 28th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Circuits & Slippers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circuits & Slippers

Start your review of Circuits & Slippers
J.L. Delozier
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love anthologies – small bits of exquisite writing I can fit into my day without the commitment of a novel. The submissions are often collated by date, carefully culled from all the short stories published within a year by an editor with her own biases (think “The Year’s Best…”) Disagree with her choices? Then surely you don’t understand art, dahling.
In Circuits & Slippers, the stories are united by a common theme – fairy tales reimagined through a sci-fi filter – leaving the reader free to
Marquise
Another lucky find for me: an anthology of fairy tale retellings where all the stories are consistently good, some more than others but without any sticking out for being bad.

This one contains 20 retellings by as many authors, all in the Science Fiction genre, some Steampunk and others straight Sci-Fi. Of them, my favourites were the following:

Alone and Palely Loitering by Nitai R. Poddar
5 stars

This one takes the Arthurian legend of Sir Galahad's quest for the Holy Grail to space, and is so st
Will
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, scifi
First, I have to say I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Begin honest review. Go.

This collection combines two of my favourite things—fairy tales and scifi. I’m fascinated by the intersection of fantasy and science fiction, and it’s really cool to see fairies translated into aliens, magic into technology, and ancient stories into futurescapes.

In a twitter chat with the authors recently, editor Jaylee James asked a question that strikes at the heart of the anth
Mindi Briar
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This anthology is so great! If you have just finished Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles and are now wishing for MORE sci-fi fairy tales, this right here is what you are looking for.

I think my favorite was "Across the Stars," but I also enjoyed "Treating the Beast," "Spinward of the Sun," and "Compatible." Those were just the ones that stuck out; there weren't any stories that I really disliked. The whole anthology was fun, diverse, creative, and well worth reading.
Jennifer Lee Rossman
Sep 29, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Full disclosure: I'm one of the authors. Also, I don't know exactly how to review a collection of stories so I'm just going to throw out some random thoughts.

I wish I had a book like this when I was younger. A book that tells us it's okay to twist your favorite stories into something new, that a princess doesn't have to sit around and wait to be rescued.

I think my favorite stories are China White and the Seven, by James Wood, which takes the story of Snow White to a delightfully disturbing place
Chasia Lloyd
***no star rating because I am a contributing author***

CIRCUITS & SLIPPERS! FAIRYTALES/FOLKLORE MEET SCI-FI! YAY!

This anthology is filled with a diverse set of stories ranging from romance to horror, each one fascinating and unique. Jaylee James worked hard to make sure there was a little something for everyone in here. I'm going to touch on each story very briefly:

- "The Slumbering Hill" by Diane Dubas is basically two stories blending into a f/f Sleeping Beauty with gorgeous worldbuilding deta
Michelle
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I generally struggle to review collections, because the stories are always so different, and it's hard to judge them as a whole. In this case, the diversity - particularly diversity of gender & sexuality - in these stories is part of what makes this collection fascinating. While there are a wide variety of styles, voices, and subgenres, all of the stories are unified by fairy tale inspirations with a sci-fi twist. I loved seeing all of the creativity springing from that theme! It was great to se ...more
Stephanie Faris
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Circuits and Slippers blends technology and fairy tales, with each short story bringing a modern twist to the stories we've heard all our lives. I loved the variety in this book, which included plenty of adventure and even a little humor along the way. Leandra Wallace's take on the Princess and the Pea and Jennifer Lee Rossman's version of Goldilocks were my two favorites, but you can't go wrong with any of these stories!
Beth Summer
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I adored this anthology. So many different styles and stories. I was lucky enough to read Prina and the Pea early on, and was so happy to read it again. All the stories in here are unique and beautifully crafted. Loved!!!
ren
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange of an honest review.

Circuits & Slippers is an anthology of fairy tales rettelings with a sci-fi twist. I'm not the biggest fan of fairy tales, but I do love a fairy tale retelling when the new version is original, different, but still, well, the fairy tale. That's the main reason Circuits & Slippers caught my attention.

I didn't recognize all fairy tales in this book though, but I was able to enjoy the stories anyway. My favorite was Alone, and Palely Lo
Eben Mishkin
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
There are an uncommon amount of great stories in this anthology, proving that Jaylee James has a great eye for what makes a story resound with readers. I usually like one or two stories in an anthology but here I deeply enjoyed more than half. I probably shouldn't really be reviewing this book as I wrote Spinward of the Sun, Handed of the Moon which is in the anthology, but completely ignoring my story this is a great anthology. This is a book with stardust in its hair and a hundred wonders to s ...more
QuietlyKat
I only read the first two stories. I enjoyed the first one. Not so much the second. I was in the mood for the concept of traditional fairy tales retold with a sci fi twist but it would have worked better for me had it been a single full length story. Maybe I’ll come back to it later.

KU. If the concept appeals to you and you enjoy short stories, it may be worth checking out.
Tracy
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-scifi
This anthology was excellent, with a wide range of really great stories, and none that I can point to as weak points. I like my sci fi sans magic, and I appreciated that only one story toed close to the magic versus science side. I'm generally a blast-straight-through reader, and found myself setting this book aside to savor many of the stories before continuing. There were mostly well-known tales, but also some more obscure ones.

One very minor quibble is I wish that they hadn't told me which fa
Kyra
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I truly savored this, letting each story sink in before continuing, because each story honestly deserved it. And I'm not just saying that because I'm mutuals with a majority of the authors, girlscout's honor. My favorites were Compatible by C.M Lloyd (adorable trans Rapunzel romance), Treating the Beast by L.G. Keltner (incredibly well-written Beauty & the Beast medical thriller), Some Assembly Required by Chrisopher Walker (cute The Fisherman & his Wife retelling but more like The Fisherman & h ...more
Feb 25, 2018 marked it as to-be-finished-eventually  ·  review of another edition
8/2017 ACROSS THE STARS by M. Z. Medina: The editor of the anthology was my friend and e highly recommended this short story as one of er favorites. It was a sweet, though predictable, story that elicited misty-eyes. I liked the slow development of the relationship, but kinda negative feelings about how he messed with her key so she couldn’t leave with her sisters, which wasn’t a surprise to me at all.

2/25/18 COMPATIBLE by C. M. Lloyd: I loved this story~ C. M. is one of my favorite authors beca
Massanutten Regional Library
Carrie, Central patron, August 2017, 4 stars:

This is an excellent collection of stories that touch on old favorites while bringing fresh and intriguing perspectives to those familiar tales. Each author has a unique voice and every story has its own magic. It is refreshing too to see a mix of queer characters represented in a collection not specifically marketed as queer fiction. This collection is a must for fans of both science fiction and classic fairy tales.
Kara
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing

An excellent collection of fairy tales - from all over the world, not just Europe - given a Sci-Fi and diverse twist, to upgrade these stories to a wider world that represents a lot more than the Grimm's Brothers originally imagined, while sticking to the core theme these stories originally addressed - that there are dangers lurking out there to be faced, and love to be embraced. :-)
Riska Sleepless
Jun 29, 2020 rated it liked it
There were a lot of great stories in here but also some i didn't care for and a few i didn't like at all.
Rose English
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book 63 of my Goodreads Challenge

An anthology of 20 fairytales given a SciFi twist. A great book to dip in and out of when the mood takes you.
Kerri
Oct 14, 2016
Marye
Aug 02, 2019
Diane
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
RoAnna Sylver
Jul 30, 2016
Pat Winter
Jul 30, 2016
Claudie Arseneault
Jul 31, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fantasy, indie, lgbt, sf, owned
Jennifer Donohue
Jul 31, 2016
Margaret Labanowitz
Jul 31, 2016
L.G. Keltner
Jul 31, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Leandra
Aug 01, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Hart_D
Rebecca Newman
Kimberly
Aug 03, 2016
Marie Piper
Aug 03, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hannah
Aug 04, 2016
Lorraine Plasentilla
Aug 06, 2016
Parker Goodreau
Aug 06, 2016
Demi-bisexual writer, editor, and story curator who spends way too much time on the internet. Er dogs are absolutely cuter than you.

Best known as the senior editor of Vitality Magazine, which published awesome stories featuring LGBT protagonists from 2014-2016.

(NOTE: I *rarely* check my private messages on Goodreads. If you need to get a hold of me, you're much better using email or twitter.)