Start by marking “Heart of Gold (Clans of Shadow, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Gold (Clans of Shadow, #1)

Heart of Gold

(Clans of Shadow #1)

The alternate cover edition fo this book can be found here.

My name is Frank Butcher, and when I got out of my truck to deliver the last package of the day, I never expected to get blown up by anti-magic zealots.

Yeah, you heard me right. I said magic. I didn't know it was a thing either.

Published July 26th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of Gold

Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heart of Gold (Clans of Shadow #1) by J.A. Cipriano is a funny book about a delivery guy getting caught in the middle of magic users. For his 'heroic help' , when he was told to run, he gets sliced to near death. He is saved by the magic doc placing a cursed artifact in his chest as a heart to keep him alive. But every magic user wants that artifact and will kill to get it. A great fun, action packed story with lots of humor.
Sinisa Mikasinovic
You know that feeling when Christmas comes early?
And you get one present before everyone else :-)

Then you get one for Christmas, too.
Then another one after.
And another.
Then it's New Year so, naturally, there's a present waiting...

I'm currently right about there. Happy New Year everyone! :-)

No, I'm not on drugs. I don't have enough money for that. Wife needs more bags and shoes. And I'm not even joking :D

But what's real is J.A. Cipriano going on a review-seeking spree! Every second week there's a
Kitvaria Sarene
3-3,5*
The writing is smooth enough and the plot fast and entertaining enough to keep me reading to the end of the bok. I will only continue reading the series as I bought a three book bundle though.
It was well enough to entertain me, but I never clicked fully with the main character. While he has a good sense of humor, he just is too sure of himself (and that is coming from someone who loved Harry Dresden, Kvothe and Hellequin...) and shrugs of everything. While he SAYS he is scared and just act
Audio Audits
What a fun listen! I guess I’m just a sucker for stories where the “hero” is an average guy who, due to circumstances beyond his control, rises above his pay grade in life, to do awesome things.

Frank Butcher, works for a package delivery service and his last stop of the day is a clinic he frequents on his route. His world is turned upside down after an attack on the clinic by a group of zealots. Dr. Gabriella Perez saves Frank’s life by throwing him to the ground just as a fireball sails past t
T.
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-beta-prize
I received Heart of Gold as a beta review copy from the author. The gifting did not determine the review/rating, which reflects my honest opinion. Another fun Cipriano tale (co-writer, Garner, is a new author for me), although, readers who haven't watched all the major comic book and fantasy flicks may miss many of the hilarious and numerous (at times too numerous?) movie and character references. Homage was paid to Doctor Who, Princess Bride, SpiderMan, Star Wars, and many other fan favorites. ...more
chucklesthescot
Jan 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
My name is Frank Butcher. I never expected to get blown up by anti-magic zealots. Yeah, I said magic. I didn't know it was a thing either. Now, an ancient artifact is the only thing keeping me alive, and to make matters worse, that artifact is what those cultists wanted. The cultists have offered me a trade. Come to them or they start killing kids

Frank is a self confessed under achiever, who slacks in his job, is lazy, arrogant, no discipline, rude, vain, macho idiot. He thinks women are to be
Angela
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
My objection to this book was the character's voice. He was like some wise-cracking gumshoe in a B-grade movie. He was always mentioning his rugged chin, making puns, and throwing out jokes that fell flat. Only a movie/tv buff (especially Star Wars) would be able to follow half of the character's internal and external dialogue. This was in line with the character's fanatic interest in pop culture but was quickly wearing on my nerves. He sounded like someone in his 50's instead of his 30's. He wa ...more
PJ Lea
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The protagonist, Frank, is very funny and uses a lot of film references in his narrative. He's very likeable, self effacing but with a hint of arrogance. The other characters are interesting and and well described, even the lesser ones.
The story jogs along at a good pace, lots of action with magical battles as well as all out gunfights. It kept me glued to the pages throughout the fighting. The ending was full of surprises and left me hanging, ready for the next book in the series.
Over all a goo
Joselyn  Raquel Moreno Burke
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved it, the narration was awesome and the plot was so intersting, it maintained me on edge and thinking a lot of theories along the story. the characters were pleasant and pretty unique like any human on earth and they felt real, I liked that a lot. the plot was pretty fresh and lite to understand, hoping to read and hear more of this author.
AudioBookReviewer
My original Heart of Gold audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Heart of Gold by J.A. Cipriano and J.B. Garner is the first novel in the series called Clans of Shadow. Frank Butcher is a young veteran who spends his time delivering packages. One day on a normal delivery to the doctor’s offices of Gabriella, he finds himself caught up in a magical battle. To keep him from dying, Gabriella surgically implants a magical artifact into his body to keep him alive, but dep
Beverly Laude
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, kindle, fantasy
What do you get when you combine Die Hard, Star Wars & hundreds of other sci-fi movies? Frank Butcher, that's who!

Frank is a handsome (his own words) delivery guy who happens to get caught in the crossfire of a war of magic. The book has plenty of action, loads of references to sci-fi movies & TV shows & is great fun to read!

I look forward to continuing the adventures of Frank & la Corazon!
Melissa Hayden
*I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.

Frank is running late on his deliveries. At Doctor Gabriela Perez's office his military experience kicks in as the Doctor is attacked by a group called The End Society. Frank is hurt severely and Gabriela saves him. Now, the ancient artifact that functions as his heart also makes him untouchable by magic or spells. Not only is he targeted as being wanted by both societies, but he could be the only on
Norma
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, audio, s-f, 2016
( Format : Audiobook)
""No more Mr. Nice Raggedly Handsome APD guy.""
Frank Butcher was just an average guy, ex soldier now delivery man, when he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and caught up in an attack on a cancer clinic. Trying to defend the doctor, he was shot and woke up to find himself with a new heart, not the usual flesh and blood sort but an ancient artifact which makes him impervious to magic. He'll need it because suddenly he is central in a war of magic - two opposing sides,
Jean
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it

Magic and Humor..

This was a quick read.

Frank, the male lead, is Fearless with a sense of humor and works well with Gabby, the

female lead.

Frank has a new power that he has to get used to, throw in several jokes and the author

has created a quick and easy read with a side of humor.

Overall, a fun read and I look forward to the next book.

Joe Hempel did really well with the narration.

Note:
"This audio book was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased re
Maryann Sims
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Frank Butcher is a man with a heart of gold, really does. Or at least since he went one day to deliver a package to a cancer clinic, only to be attacked by magical forces. Of course Frank being who he is, steps in to help and gets blown up sort of.

His reward for helping was a new heart, that helps him see the world of magical threads so to speak. So what does he do? Well, becomes a hero of course, and goes off to save the world of magic that he never knew of.

All in all, a pretty good book, can'
Mandy Parmenter
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable book about Frank Butcher a parcel delivery driver who gets involved in the world of magic when there is an attack where he is delivering his last parcel of the day. He becomes determined to save a kidnapped child and in doing that has to save magic from being wiped out of the world.

I really enjoyed it. I had some issues in my head separating the Frank Butcher in this book from the character Frank Butcher who was a second hard car salesman in the soap opera Eastenders.
Lisa
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good Read

This is a weird, funny book. The Hero, Frank, has an ego the size of Texas.
But then the action starts and you try to forget about that ego, but he's the one that keeps bringing it up.
I think men would really get a kick out of this book.

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Linda U. Dickens
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good

Not as snarky as Mac, but still not bad. The ending was excellent and I'm looking forward to the next book.
Susan
Frank Butcher delivers packages. He’s got a big ego and a crush on Dr. Gabrielle Perez. During one of his flirtatious encounters, the crap hits the fan as part of the building explodes around him. When he wakes, it’s a magical device that’s keeping him alive and the cultists want it. Pretty soon he has to make a hard choice as the cultists aren’t above threatening children to get what they want.

I want to say this is set in Florida but I may be wrong. Anyway, it’s a big city with some Hispanic an
Stephanie
I listened to this story as part of an audiobook omnibus that contained all three stories. This first book was my least favorite among them, but it set up the series really well and set a good foundation for the continuation of the story. The characters only grow and develop from here.

I love when I can get three stories for the price of one! This is a great value at one credit. Three books, over 16 hours, and an entire series to dig my teeth into. This one is action packed to the extreme! This s
Eryn
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Holy pop culture references, Batman! If you take away all the references to Star Wars, Star Trek, the Princess Bride, and a whole host of other movies, mostly popular entertainment, there's a bit of book left and it's not terrible. This is so heavy on Star Wars references that it might actually be copyright infringement. It's as though the author really wanted to write a Star Wars book but didn't make the cut. If there is a single page without a reference to something someone else wrote, it's be ...more
Jessica
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Packed with Action!"
What did you love best about Clans of Shadow Omnibus?
the humor, Frank Butcher has a wry, witty or sarcastic comment for every occasion.

Who was your favorite character and why?
Frank, his willingness to do what's right, put himself in harms way & insult the bad guys while doing it was very entertaining.

Have you listened to any of Joe Hempel’s other performances before? How does this one compare?
I don't think I have listened to any other books narrated by Joe Hempel befo
Emmy
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
I listened to this audiobook, which I would highly recommend to fully enjoy this!
Frank is an 'average guy' with a colourful outlook of explaining and describing events and thoughts.
*definitely not for anyone who is easily offended because although Frank is ex-army, he's got a sailor's mouth
It was a very entertaining and funny thriller adventure tale from the viewpoint of a guy who enjoys his mediocre job and uses his every day talents and common sense to imbalance the evil to save a child.
Lyn Mckenzie
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
This is the first book I have read by either of these authors and I will definitely be continuing to read their work, excited to read the second book!!!

I listened ro this book through audible and I have to say that this is a highly addictive story!!! There are so many questions throughout this book. You are learning the whole time about the world that the characters live in, it is full of heart pounding action that you really can't get enough of, I couldn't stop listening!!!

The thing I lived mo
Linda
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Not a bad book, by any means, but I'm wondering what happened to Our Hero's clothes half way through? He went to his flat to collect some stuff, changed into a Metallica T-shirt and some pants or other. Then not that far along after that, the doc tells him he looks great in the APD shorts, and Our Hero looks down at them and agrees with her. Then, not long after that, his beloved APD shirt has to be cut away from his wound so that a fellow soldier can do first aid.

That sort of error makes me an
Michelle VanDaley
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
My review is based on the Audiobook version but I own the ebook as well. I really enjoyed Heart of Gold. The male lead, Frank Butcher is punny (yes I wrote that intentionally). He is a movie buff and makes bad jokes and movie references that I found to be truly LOL at some points. The flow of the story is steady and kept my attention. Joe Hempel was a fantastic narrator who brought Frank Butcher to life in an extremely likeable way. I read some negative reviews saying they disliked Frank and I w ...more
Mike Lovell
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't work for me.

This book reads like a bad 80's action movie. I mean when you originally watched it in the theater it was fun and pretty cool, but when you go back to it years later it just seems outdated and irritating. Not to mention the author leaves you hanging at the end, and I had to fight to get to get there. I've read other books by this author that resonated better with me, but I'm not buying the next one in this series.
Indie Editor Nancy
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
This was a great audible listen with my favorite narrator, Joe Hempel bringing the story to life for the listener. The story starts off with a bang, after an initial introduction to the main characters. The story had great flow and even though it took multiple sittings to finish the story; it was easy to remember what had happened and I felt excited to get back to the story.
Will look forward to the next book in the series.
Kitty_ranma
Audio version "Magic and mayhem a great start but a cliffhanger"
Heading says it all, great start but I hate cliffhangers.
Joe Hempel is well on his way to being one of my favorite narrators. I listened to about 4 with him narrating now. I'm liking him better and better.
This audiobook was given to me for free at my request from the publisher, author or narrator and I provided this voluntary review.
Roger
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first read from author J.A. Cipriano was so good I went right into my second read by him, Heart of Gold. Outstanding read. So good I can't wait to delve into the next book in the series. I there was any flaw in the writing it would be the over-the-top/excessive use of the word f**k. This is the first time I've ever objected to language in a book in one of my reviews, but it's deserved.
Audiobooks: Heart of Gold Urban Fantasy for review 5 16 Apr 28, 2017 11:39AM

• Anubis Nights (Jonathan Shade, #4)
  • The Science of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga, #4)
  • Fire Water (Black Magic Outlaw #5)
  • Cold Hearted (Yancy Lazarus #2)
  • Horror, Humor, and Heroes
  • Fade
  • Club Nexus (Ivy Granger, #2.5)
  • Cornered Magic (The Void, #1)
  • Fade Rippers (Galefire, #1)
  • Blood Moon Magick
  • Dead Stare (Ghosts & Magic, #3)
  • Pariah
  • Graveyard Shift
  • Keys to the Coven: Demonic Intervention Series
  • A Witch's Concern (Witch for Hire #4)
  • The Hunted (Hunter Circles, #1)
  • Halfskin (Halfskin, #1)
When New York Times Bestselling author, J. A. Cipriano was in second grade, his teacher gave everyone in class a journal to write down whatever they wanted. Their first subject was to write about something they didn’t like. J. A. chose to write about why he didn’t like writing. His reasoning was simple. He had bad handwriting. Even then, he was destined to be an engineer due to his messy scrawl.

Un

Clans of Shadow (3 books)
  • Feet of Clay (Clans of Shadow, #2)
  • Fists of Iron (Clans of Shadow, #3)
“I wasn’t quite sure what was happening, but even my inexperienced eyes new one thing.” 0 likes