Start by marking “Visiting Hours” as Want to Read:
Visiting Hours

Visiting Hours

The first book of poetry published by internationally renowned spoken word performer, Shane Koyczan. Includes a 5 track cd/ep featuring performances by Shane. Currently in a 2nd edition and going to a corrected and remastered 3rd edition available at end of summer 2007. Voted to *Best Books of 2005* lists in the Guardian (UK) and Globe and Mail newspapers.
108 pages
Published by McArthur & Co / Mcarthur (Tp,H (first published June 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Visiting Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visiting Hours

S.B. Wright
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Visiting Hours is Shane Koyczan’s first collection of poetry. The collection was first published in 2005 and this eBook edition was released in 2013. It was pure chance that led me to Shane’s work – a stoush with someone on Facebook who misquoted and misinterpreted one of Koyczan’s more famous poems, We Are More. Every cloud has a silver lining though and the more I read of Koyczan’s work the more I liked.

My concern with buying a collection compiled by a spoken word poet was that it
Caitlin

in an entire day

but if I wake
at 6:59 am
and turn to you
to trace the outline of your lips
with mine

I am a serial lover
leaving behind fingerprints
like they were evidence
that I was there
leaving behind strands of my ha
Allie
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
People as clever as this man shouldn't be allowed to exist. It's not fair to the rest of us who want to be poets.
Michelle Barker
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads, poetry
Many killer lines in this collection, and Koyczan manages to warm me up to rhyme, which is saying something because normally I don't like it. But I still think many of these poems work better in performance than they do on the page. He's an incredible performer, and the longer poems in which themes circle back and rhythms build—to me they're written to be spoken out loud.
Magdelanye
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
review pending
Darrius
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Suze
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Recently I went to an outstanding performance by Shane Koyczan in our city and had forgotten about reading/ studying and re-reading Visiting Hours. His poetry is filled with heart – both his written words and his spoken word artistry. He’s a philosopher, championing the underdog and commenting on every human’s need for love, with extended metaphors and imagery and internal rhyme that surprise with their wit. Just brilliant!

“…and now I know something of how a piano must feel
when it looks at/>
“…and
Amanda Wallace
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, I was never much into poetry, the little that I studied at uni aroused a mild interest but never anything that struck me as amazing. This changed rapidly when I stumbled upon 'Visiting hours' and started to watch Shane Koyczan on youtube, his poetry is moving, sentimental and funny. He'll make you weep and then start laughing, all within one verse. By far, my favourite would have to be the closing poem 'move pen move' which is a tragic and emotionally honest story about the death of ...more
Rick
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadiana
I learned of Shayne Koyczan when he performed at the closing ceremonies at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics. Since then I have been trying to acquire this book. It was a challenge. I am generally not a poetry fan, however, I love his work. It is emotional, sometimes erotic, and thought-proviking. I find his rhyming and cadence fascinating. I highly recommend this book to everyone.
Miriam
Aug 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: poets
Shelves: read-it
This guy rocks in performance, and his poetry works just as well, if not better on the page (poohs to all you publishers who think performance poetry belongs only on the mic). He's very clever. Title poem is gorgeous.
David Jones
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From a genius of the spoken word tradition, Visiting Hours compiles some all-time greats and a few never-seen-before poems. Koyczan owns and wields a genius that leaves most of other poets jealously sulking.
Piper Mejia
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yr13, yr12, poetry, canadian
Love his strong voice on love and other tragedies that life throws at us.

Themes of love, loss and the human condition.
Calista
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian, poetry
Powerful and gripping, inspirational and maddening.
Stuart
Jan 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Trite, moralistic and self-consciously clever. Obviously Koyczan can be a real crowd-pleaser, but I don't buy this stuff.
Carolyn
A beautiful book of poetry worth being read by anyone.
James Lotshaw
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I'm also a poet, but when I read poets like Shane. I have to thank you, because you show me that poetry can be found in the air.
Chelsea Sargautis
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, just... wow.
Andrea
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great slam poetry that was accompanied by a CD of the poems. Loved "Oh...Canada"
Chelsey

• Acolytes
  • The Endarkenment
  • Ogden Nash's Zoo
  • Partly Cloudy: Poems of Love and Longing
  • Chicken Soup for the Prisoner's Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit of Hope, Healing and Forgiveness (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • The Butterfly Plague
  • Truth and Bright Water
  • Romanțe pentru mai târziu
  • Bury It
  • Pocket Book of Poetry
Shane L. Koyczan is a Canadian poet and writer. Born in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Koyczan grew up in Penticton, British Columbia. In 2000, he became the first Canadian to win the Individual Championship title at the US National Poetry Slam. Together with Mighty Mike McGee and C. R. Avery, he is the co-founder of spoken word, "talk rock" trio, Tons of Fun University (T.O.F.U.).

Koyczan pe
“I don't want to turn any of this into poetry / but / you're so beautiful / flowers turn their heads to smell you” 88 likes
“I do my best impression of a pen
and when every problem looks like a page
I commit ink to paper”