Start by marking “Drakon: The Sieve (Drakon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Drakon: The Sieve (Drakon, #1)

Read Book

Drakon: The Sieve

(Drakon #1)

“The Sieve” is Book I of the epic fantasy novel Drakon.

“I am here to redeem the lives of my wife and daughter. I’ve brought the offering.”
Da-Ren, an infidel barbarian, arrives at the Castlemonastery, his only offering a jar of honey. Baagh, the Cross Sorcerer, follows him there under orders of the Emperor, demanding from the monks to transcribe the warrior’s story.

Book I c
Published September 13th 2016 by C.A. Caskabel

To ask other readers questions about Drakon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drakon

Start your review of Drakon: The Sieve (Drakon, #1)
The Captain
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this fantasy eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

This was one of those fantasy novels where the cover caught me eye. Not only was the face on the cover odd but the “Drakon” made me wonder if there were dragons in it. I have a soft spot for dragons. The synopsis sounded interesting so I requested it. Of course by the time I read the book I had forgotten what it was about. I actually think that contributed to me e
Filip Stojanovic
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!! Love this style books with such worlds! Excellent detail and very nicely put together for one to be pulled in quickly into the story and to want more...can't wait for the next one! Also, really interesting world and story you created by the author, BRAVO!!! It's a little like "Lord of the Rings", but also has a "Genghis Khan dynasty" feel. Really great job by the author!!! Amazing what he has created!!! I don't remember reading a book in two days (over travelling and in between meetin ...more
Ανδρέας Μιχαηλίδης
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The Sieve, the first installment of the Drakon saga would be best described as beautifully brutal, in the sense that the brutality is not gratuitous or used for its own sake - the book relates the early years of the children born into a harsh tribe of the steppes, a horde that needs to remain strong, to ever grow and spread under the Unending Sky of their Goddess, Enaka. The story is related to us through the written word of the Monk Eusebius, who wrote down the facts, the legends and the horror ...more
Χρήστος Κασκαβέλης
I read it many times, but I cannot review it.
Terri Wilson
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book starts out as a story told through a monk in order to record the atrocities of The Sieve, an excruciating and barbaric warrior training for children in this world. So, when I first started I had my doubts just because this is a hard format to make good. I'm glad I continued to reading because I didn't have to read too many pages before it got really good. The author does an incredible job putting the reader into the lives of these children. I felt their pain and saw the world through t ...more
Μιχάλης
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I know it is kind of lame to post a review while the book is in your to-read list.
However, it was a year ago I read the original Greek version Δράκων: Γέννηση of the novel and I was awestruck by the strengths of the book. The only reason I am writing this first paragraph, instead of outright and wholeheartedly recommending it is because I have yet to see both the quality of the rewritten text (because I know the novel is expanded in its English version, hence the four instead of two parts).

B
Γιώργος Βορέας
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having already read this masterpiece in hellenic language, I found myself been caught, once again, by surprise, since this english version is perfect by all means... I am very proud that books of that level of quality, are translated so effectively in another language and advertise the local literature abroad. I should note here, that translation procedure, avoided every usual linguistic and expressive obstacle maintaining the aura and the thrill of the hellenic version intact. In according to t ...more
Glen
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

The origin story of a barbarian warrior and the trials and tribulations he has to go through to become a warrior.

Not bad, but I expected rather more derring-do.
Dimitris Mav
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This first book of the Drakon series was a unexpected surprise. It's been a long time since a book swept me in and kept me enraptured until the very end.
The well designed cover was the first thing that caught my attention so i decided to give this book a chance.
I love the writing and how the story goes from the very first pages. A strong direct narrative and a wild parade of vivid scenes evoke mixed emotions of anger, pity and awe.
It starts with an ordeal of the children of a tribe, that are bei
Μιχάλης
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Back when the book came out, I remember reading the synopsis on its back and being a bit confused whether or not this was supposed to be a historic (booooooo!!!!) or a fantasy (yay!!!!!!!) novel. When peer reviews convinced me to give it a try, I was surprised to find out it was a little bit of both: this is a pretty down to earth fantasy novel, set some time during the Byzantine era, where a group of barbarians are raiding a thinly-veiled Byzantium.
The protagonist is one of the Barbarians and t
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
I've already read the greek version, I just finished the english one.

I had a really good time reading this book. It was dark and grim and at times brutal, but you have to respect a writer who writes like he’s not a delicate flower. Characters were well-drawn and the plot is thick and kinda unexpected. I read the second volume straight away and I can’t wait for volumes III and IV.
Ypatios Varelas
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A story of man dealing with the dark, his enemies, his own fears and limitations, his human need to become important. Sometimes the most difficult barriers come from our inside and the author makes sure that we don't forget this. While reading the book I found myself in a mythical world full of fear and brutality, where people need to struggle just to survive, a world that probably none of us would like to live in. For Da-Ren it's not the desire to become a leader or a hero that drives his effor ...more
Helena Zelin
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
It is a great first book for a series. The reader is introduced to the new world the author created along with the customs and the way this people live their everyday life. We get to see and acknowledge who hard it is for Da-Ren to get through and what emotional effect this life was on him. Throughout the book we see a whole bunch of images and marvelous landscapes.

Although it s an appealing story, with an exciting plot and strong characters, both lead and side characters, I feel that the autho
Theodore Karoubalis
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
before anything else i have to give my credits to the author for putting in place an amazing story that is so strong as life itself. this is a fiction so real that very few books can achieve. it is a story of humanity that walks its path inbetween love, fights, superstition, religion, deception, sin and search for forgiveness. it is a story about the worst and the best creature of this world; the human. All of our fears and all of our hopes are in there, put altogether in a struggle for life, su ...more
Alice Vogel
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Not the kind of book I'd normally read, but it blew me away! It is fast paced and full of action, but it is the first person narrative that makes it so powerful. Fantasy worlds are not my cup of tea, but this one is so realistic, and clearly so well researched, that I loved it. No magic or strange creatures, just people brainwashed by powerful stories full of symbolism and dark beauty, but also fuelling racism and bigotry. A thought-provoking book on how stories can poison but also redeem. ...more
Crystal Belle
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love exploring new worlds through an authors imagination. This book took me to a place that was dark, mysterious and new. I couldn't put it down.

The author does a great job of developing the story by flipping between narrators. You are never lost, and you can pick it up anywhere in the progression and know who is speaking.

I would have loved to had more character development and back story, but hey that's what books 2 and 3 are for right?!

No spoilers here, just read it. I loved the
Matt
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
If the ratings were held within the context of various genres, I'd rate this a four or even a four and a half (if half stars were an option) within fantasy. It's deceivingly page turning. While it seems simplistic, it explores some complex ideas about society, religion and sacrifice. I was pleasantly surprised and look forward to the next installment.

Nikos Koutoulakis
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve never heard of this author before, but I saw an advertisement and it piqued my interest. I am not sure it is a fantasy novel, there is a sense of mystique and a hint of the supernatural throughout the book but nothing definite yet.
But, damn, this is brutal. We read about a tribe of barbarians as the protagonist, an orphan boy, gets trained in a very hard regime (one can say cruel) that reminds me of the Spartans. There are some great moments and the pace is non-stop.
I loved the language, it
David Stringer
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Well the last few months, so far, have been full of good reads for me and I'm pleased to say that this adds to them. The story is around our hero Da-Ran, who we initially meet as a barbarian asking for help from priests in a monastery and then as a child as he re-tells his life story. This I understand is the first in a series of books, and it's a cracking start.

It is very much like The Hunger games and Maze runner, meets Genghis Khan as tribes take children into trials to develop future leaders
Jang, Min-gyu
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got me interested

This is a short book but I get the feeling that the story is well planned out. The level of writing is high and I'm definitely going to follow this tale.
Daniel
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

So, I don’t know what to say here, guys. I may not have finished this if I hadn’t already promised to write a review. There were several times when I thought I should just set it aside and mark it as DNF, but I feel obligated to write since I was sent a promotional copy.

This book isn’t terrible, but it’s not what I would call good either. I am genuinely puzzled at the high scoring reviews here.

Many of the other reviewers are r
Natasa Stag
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Please note that this review applies to the book series (The Sieve & Uncarved). This is a haunting, captivating book that immerses you in its lyricism only to drown you in its barbarism a couple of pages later. It exerts a brute force onto your mind and soul and claims a piece of 'you' by digging deep into the essence of human nature.

Despite the fact that it is set in an arbitrary time and place (that vaguely hints to a clash between the East and the West, around the time of the Byzantine Empire
Constantino Korikis
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! This the first thing I read from Caskabel and the pace is amazing.
Φωτεινή Στίγγα
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant!
Ann Pratley
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This definitely isn't an easy book to review. It has a never ending dark side, and because it's centred around children being hurt in one way or another, there were moments when I was ready to give up on finishing it. However, not one to turn away from a story once started, I persisted. With this being only book 1 of 4, there were times when I was left wondering how anyone could get through the length of this first book, let alone all four. There are two aspects of this story that kept me going ...more
Denise
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Today I want to share with you an interesting reading I had firstly received from NatGalley, but had to finally buy it in Amazon as I lost the deadline to download it.

Well, better late than never, so here I am to talk about the Drakon Book I: The Sieve. It is the first book of a series of 4 (The Sieve, Uncarved, Firstblade, and Butterfly) from C.A. Caskabel.

For those who enjoy a reading like The Game of Thrones, with intrigues, conflicts, deep-built characters, this is an excellent option!

It tel
Taylor Bright (BuriedInBookland)
I received a physical copy of this book in exchange for my honest review, so thank you to the publisher and the author!

This novel was a fantastic start to a new fantasy series. This novel was nothing like I expected, the synopsis did not do it any justice.
I absolutely loved the character development and just the characters in general.
The plot was very well written and brutal.
I loved that C.A. Caskabel was not afraid to push boundaries and make everything so intense and awful.
But awful in the
Richard Myers
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

This book is about how a society is formed and how the different groups that contribute to the society are chosen. This book shows the reader the underbelly or behind the scenes struggles of the people of the society. It is a very interesting book and I recommend it.
Michael E.
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nonstop Enthralling Narative

There is better way to put it, this all to brief book takes you, doesn't let go and makes you want more.
Majanka
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

Drakon Book 1: The Sieve is the first installment in the Drakon series, and starts off strong. Da-Ren is an infidel barbarian who has fled to the Castlemonastery, where he offers a jar of honey in return for redemption for his wife and daughter. The monks ask Da-Ren to tell them their story, which he does. This book focuses mostly on Da-Ren’s earl yyears, growing up in a tribe of warriors and pagan witches.

The Sieve i
« previous 1 3 next »

• 39 Lessons for Black Boys & Girls
  • The Ultimate Guide for Gay Dads: Everything You Need to Know About LGBTQ Parenting But Are (Mostly) Afraid to Ask
  • Your Nose!
  • The Montessori Toddler: A Parent's Guide to Raising a Curious and Responsible Human Being
  • Cuddly Critters for Little Geniuses
  • Angie and the Farmer (An Oregon Trail Time Travel Romance #4)
  • The Dialogue Thesaurus: A Fiction Writer's Sourcebook of Dialogue Tags and Phrases
  • St. Nick
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius #1)
  • Every Little Thing: Based on the song 'Three Little Birds' by Bob Marley (Music Books for Children, African American Baby Books, Bob Marley Books for Kids)
  • Smoke & Summons (Numina #1)
  • Murder Theory (The Naturalist, #3)
  • Queen of Dragons (Drakon, #3)
  • Paddington's Adventures (I Can Read!, Level 1)
  • Scarlet Odyssey
  • From Cold Ashes Risen (The War Eternal, #3)
  • How a Monster is Made
  • Faithless
C.A. Caskabel started writing Drakon in 2013 and completed the 380,000-word epic fantasy novel in 2016. He split Drakon into four books which he will release within 2017, he promises. After all, he is eager to start working on the next novel. C.A. is also the founder of an indie publisher of picture books and fantasy fiction.
Before 2013, C.A. was a serial technology entrepreneur. He studied at Bos

Drakon (4 books)
  • Drakon: Uncarved (Drakon, #2)
  • Drakon: Firstblade (Drakon, #3)
  • Drakon: Butterfly (Drakon, #4)