Start by marking “Drakon Book I: The Sieve” as Want to Read:
Drakon Book I: The Sieve

Read Book

Drakon Book I: The Sieve (Drakon #1)

“The Sieve” is Book I of the epic fantasy novel Drakon.

“I am here to redeem the lives of my wife and daughter. I’ve brought the offering.”
Da-Ren, an infidel barbarian, arrives at the Castlemonastery, his only offering a jar of honey. Baagh, the Cross Sorcerer, follows him there under orders of the Emperor, demanding from the monks to transcribe the warrior’s story.
Book I c
Paperback, 1, 248 pages
Published September 13th 2016 by C.A. Caskabel

To ask other readers questions about Drakon Book I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drakon Book I

The Captain
Mar 28, 2017 The Captain rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this fantasy eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

This was one of those fantasy novels where the cover caught me eye. Not only was the face on the cover odd but the “Drakon” made me wonder if there were dragons in it. I have a soft spot for dragons. The synopsis sounded interesting so I requested it. Of course by the time I read the book I had forgotten what it was about. I actually think that contributed to me e
Filip Stojanovic
Sep 24, 2016 Filip Stojanovic rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!! Love this style books with such worlds! Excellent detail and very nicely put together for one to be pulled in quickly into the story and to want more...can't wait for the next one! Also, really interesting world and story you created by the author, BRAVO!!! It's a little like "Lord of the Rings", but also has a "Genghis Khan dynasty" feel. Really great job by the author!!! Amazing what he has created!!! I don't remember reading a book in two days (over travelling and in between meetin ...more
Μιχάλης
Sep 12, 2016 Μιχάλης rated it it was amazing
Ok, I know it is kind of lame to post a review while the book is in your to-read list.
However, it was a year ago I read the original Greek version Δράκων: Γέννηση of the novel and I was awestruck by the strengths of the book. The only reason I am writing this first paragraph, instead of outright and wholeheartedly recommending it is because I have yet to see both the quality of the rewritten text (because I know the novel is expanded in its English version, hence the four instead of two parts).

B
Ανδρέας Μιχαηλίδης
Jun 05, 2017 Ανδρέας Μιχαηλίδης rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The Sieve, the first installment of the Drakon saga would be best described as beautifully brutal, in the sense that the brutality is not gratuitous or used for its own sake - the book relates the early years of the children born into a harsh tribe of the steppes, a horde that needs to remain strong, to ever grow and spread under the Unending Sky of their Goddess, Enaka. The story is related to us through the written word of the Monk Eusebius, who wrote down the facts, the legends and the horror ...more
Γιώργος Βορέας Βορέας
Having already read this masterpiece in hellenic language, I found myself been caught, once again, by surprise, since this english version is perfect by all means... I am very proud that books of that level of quality, are translated so effectively in another language and advertise the local literature abroad. I should note here, that translation procedure, avoided every usual linguistic and expressive obstacle maintaining the aura and the thrill of the hellenic version intact. In according to t ...more
Χρήστος Κασκαβέλης
I read it many times, but I cannot review it.
Dimitris Mav
Sep 17, 2016 Dimitris Mav rated it it was amazing
This first book of the Drakon series was a unexpected surprise. It's been a long time since a book swept me in and kept me enraptured until the very end.
The well designed cover was the first thing that caught my attention so i decided to give this book a chance.
I love the writing and how the story goes from the very first pages. A strong direct narrative and a wild parade of vivid scenes evoke mixed emotions of anger, pity and awe.
It starts with an ordeal of the children of a tribe, that are bei
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
I've already read the greek version, I just finished the english one.

I had a really good time reading this book. It was dark and grim and at times brutal, but you have to respect a writer who writes like he’s not a delicate flower. Characters were well-drawn and the plot is thick and kinda unexpected. I read the second volume straight away and I can’t wait for volumes III and IV.
Ypatios Varelas
Sep 15, 2016 Ypatios Varelas rated it it was amazing
A story of man dealing with the dark, his enemies, his own fears and limitations, his human need to become important. Sometimes the most difficult barriers come from our inside and the author makes sure that we don't forget this. While reading the book I found myself in a mythical world full of fear and brutality, where people need to struggle just to survive, a world that probably none of us would like to live in. For Da-Ren it's not the desire to become a leader or a hero that drives his effor ...more
Theodore Karoubalis
Sep 13, 2016 Theodore Karoubalis rated it it was amazing
before anything else i have to give my credits to the author for putting in place an amazing story that is so strong as life itself. this is a fiction so real that very few books can achieve. it is a story of humanity that walks its path inbetween love, fights, superstition, religion, deception, sin and search for forgiveness. it is a story about the worst and the best creature of this world; the human. All of our fears and all of our hopes are in there, put altogether in a struggle for life, su ...more
Alice Vogel
Nov 20, 2016 Alice Vogel rated it it was amazing
Wow! Not the kind of book I'd normally read, but it blew me away! It is fast paced and full of action, but it is the first person narrative that makes it so powerful. Fantasy worlds are not my cup of tea, but this one is so realistic, and clearly so well researched, that I loved it. No magic or strange creatures, just people brainwashed by powerful stories full of symbolism and dark beauty, but also fuelling racism and bigotry. A thought-provoking book on how stories can poison but also redeem. ...more
Crystal Belle
Mar 27, 2017 Crystal Belle rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love exploring new worlds through an authors imagination. This book took me to a place that was dark, mysterious and new. I couldn't put it down.

The author does a great job of developing the story by flipping between narrators. You are never lost, and you can pick it up anywhere in the progression and know who is speaking.

I would have loved to had more character development and back story, but hey that's what books 2 and 3 are for right?!

No spoilers here, just read it. I loved the
Nikos Koutoulakis
Mar 28, 2017 Nikos Koutoulakis rated it it was amazing
I’ve never heard of this author before, but I saw an advertisement and it piqued my interest. I am not sure it is a fantasy novel, there is a sense of mystique and a hint of the supernatural throughout the book but nothing definite yet.
But, damn, this is brutal. We read about a tribe of barbarians as the protagonist, an orphan boy, gets trained in a very hard regime (one can say cruel) that reminds me of the Spartans. There are some great moments and the pace is non-stop.
I loved the language, it
Jang, Min-gyu
Apr 20, 2017 Jang, Min-gyu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got me interested

This is a short book but I get the feeling that the story is well planned out. The level of writing is high and I'm definitely going to follow this tale.
Natasa Stag
Mar 24, 2017 Natasa Stag rated it it was amazing
Please note that this review applies to the book series (The Sieve & Uncarved). This is a haunting, captivating book that immerses you in its lyricism only to drown you in its barbarism a couple of pages later. It exerts a brute force onto your mind and soul and claims a piece of 'you' by digging deep into the essence of human nature.

Despite the fact that it is set in an arbitrary time and place (that vaguely hints to a clash between the East and the West, around the time of the Byzantine Em
Matt
Mar 13, 2017 Matt rated it liked it
If the ratings were held within the context of various genres, I'd rate this a four or even a four and a half (if half stars were an option) within fantasy. It's deceivingly page turning. While it seems simplistic, it explores some complex ideas about society, religion and sacrifice. I was pleasantly surprised and look forward to the next installment.

Φωτεινή Στίγγα
Sep 19, 2016 Φωτεινή Στίγγα rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant!
Constantino Korikis
Sep 03, 2016 Constantino Korikis rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! This the first thing I read from Caskabel and the pace is amazing.
Michael E.
Jun 02, 2017 Michael E. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nonstop Enthralling Narative

There is better way to put it, this all to brief book takes you, doesn't let go and makes you want more.
Majanka
May 15, 2017 Majanka rated it really liked it
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

Drakon Book 1: The Sieve is the first installment in the Drakon series, and starts off strong. Da-Ren is an infidel barbarian who has fled to the Castlemonastery, where he offers a jar of honey in return for redemption for his wife and daughter. The monks ask Da-Ren to tell them their story, which he does. This book focuses mostly on Da-Ren’s earl yyears, growing up in a tribe of warriors and pagan witches.

The Sieve i
Nathan Sims
May 11, 2017 Nathan Sims rated it really liked it
I was intrigued by the cover for this book and the concept but as I started it, I became a bit leery. Was this book really just about the main character's initiation into his tribe? Nothing else?

The answer is: well, yes and no.

The bulk of the plot deals with Da-Ren being taken from his home (albeit an unpleasant one as described) and thrust into an initiation camp where his future will be decided based on how he stands up to trials he must face.

Book-ending this (and book marking a few times thro
onlythejessi
Mar 20, 2017 onlythejessi rated it did not like it
Bruce Brill
Dark

The only reason I kept on reading was I became curious as to what the author was going to put these kids through. The side story was a nice touch but it wasn't enough to make me want to endure more of this dark storyline.
Daniel
Jun 06, 2017 Daniel rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

So, I don’t know what to say here, guys. I may not have finished this if I hadn’t already promised to write a review. There were several times when I thought I should just set it aside and mark it as DNF, but I feel obligated to write since I was sent a promotional copy.

This book isn’t terrible, but it’s not what I would call good either. I am genuinely puzzled at the high scoring reviews here.

Many of the other reviewers are r
Doug
May 07, 2017 Doug rated it liked it
Shelves: classic-fantasy
Different... I probably need to create a new shelf for "grimdark" fantasy, as it really is closer to that than classic fantasy. An odd mix, also, of historic Christianity (monks and such) with dark, barbaric fantasy elements.
Lefteris
Mar 18, 2017 Lefteris rated it it was amazing
Great summer reading for fantasy book lovers and not only. Myth, history and a mixture of both and with a bigger than life protagonist who lives 3 to 4 lives in what is normally half a life!.
Amalia
Mar 16, 2017 Amalia rated it it was amazing
Addictive plot, fascinating writing! An epic journey on human nature indeed!
Tino Tokic
Giorgos Christoforakis
Giorgos Christoforakis rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Antonios Kondis
Antonios Kondis rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
C.A. Caskabel started writing Drakon in 2013 and completed the 350,000-word epic series in 2016. He plans to release the books gradually in 2016 and 2017 while he researches and writes his next series. He also works with a passionate small team that publishes primarily children’s fiction and fantasy fiction.
Prior to 2013, Chris was a serial technology entrepreneur. He has founded and led a number
More about C.A. Caskabel...

Drakon (3 books)