Start by marking “Europe in Winter” as Want to Read:
Europe in Winter

Europe in Winter

(The Fractured Europe Sequence #3)

Rudi, the former chef-turned-spy, returns on a mission to uncover the truth—in a fractured Europe utterly changed by the public unveiling of the Community.

Union has been forged and the Community is now the largest nation in Europe; trains run there from as far afield as London and Prague. It is an era of unprecedented peace and prosperity. So what is the reason for a huge
Published November 3rd 2016 by Solaris

To ask other readers questions about Europe in Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Europe in Winter

Start your review of Europe in Winter
Bradley
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC!

I was very happy to get a copy of this early. The story has gotten very, very interesting through the trilogy, and getting my hands on it at this point is simply a delight. The whole thing is more than unusual for any kind of SF or Thriller, and I just have to applaud.

Coureurs* are always a big part of this trilogy, but more than that, it's the mystery and the myth of these men and women who refuse to be bound by borders that makes this spycraft novel into somethi
Denise
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars I guess. I've loved this series, but this last book seemed unfocused. Too many people with slice-of-life stories and then don't reappear.

The author mentions that it was hard to write this book as it'd been a very hard year. And then goes on to suggest donations to a fund for patients with blood cancers. He names a young man and I wonder about their relationship. So it seems as though it makes sense that this book isn't as tightly written as the others.
Richard Derus
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rating: all 5 stars

My review's live at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud. Hint: no book report, so don't go looking for one or you'll be disappointed.
Gerhard
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is a wonderful moment towards the end where a character muses about the chain of events that has propelled the trajectory of his life, which Hutchinson uses as a kind of meta-commentary on his overall narrative: “It never tied things up neatly; no one ever got to see the whole story, and anyway the stories never ended, just branched off into infinity.”

And so it is with the Fractured Europe sequence. I was delighted to learn that #4 is on the cards, Europe at Dawn, which motivated me to cat
Wakizashi
Europe in Winter is a fascinating, complex, wise, imaginative, and funny story that should be read with a notebook by your side. It's a book which requires your undivided attention because there is so much going on in here you can easily get lost. Wait a minute, who is this character? Are they the one from three chapters ago? Who are they working for?..

Speaking of the characters, they are smartly written, and each has their own personality and voice. It feels like there are a few too many at tim
fromcouchtomoon
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Starts with a bang, ends with a stolen airport. Didn't realize how much I missed Rudi and his fractured central and eastern Europe wanderings. The sightseeing is my favorite part. Will inflame your wanderlust.
David Harris
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm grateful to the publisher for an advance e-copy of this book.

"It was hard to be certain who was running the world any more, although obviously it wasn't the people who thought they were."

This is the third book in Hutchinson's Fractured Europe sequence (I hope that it being a sequence not a trilogy means there is more on the way - I want to read more, and by the end of this book a great deal is left intriguingly unresolved).

It is the mid to late 21st century. Europe has devolved into its defa
Maryam
Review originally published on The Curious SFF Reader

The Fractured Europe Sequence is one of the most relevant series of all time. I devoured the first two installement of this series at the beginning of the year and I was highly anticipating the continuation (or ending ?) of this series. Europe in Winter did not disappoint. As much as Europe at Midnight was an extremely loose sequel to Europe in Autumn (it did not follow the same characters and the story did not take place in the same countrie
K.V. Johansen
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Got to read this in advance of publication, yay! A great story. Hutchinson's prose is flawless. Really enjoyed seeing Rudi and Rupert acting in concert. Some interesting new people too. Very suspenseful. A great thriller, and great science fiction. More mysteries of the world unfold ...
Tudor Ciocarlie
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-my-best-of
This is quickly becoming one of the greatest and one of the most relevant science-fiction series of all time. I'm reading about Fracture Europe with a sinister guilty pleasure and with a wonderful morbid fascination.
Peter Bradley
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Please give my review a helpful vote on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/review/RSBEL25...

When I finished this book, I was still not sure that I've read the completed novel.

My review of Europe in Autumn argued that that book was not really a novel but the first part of a longer novel. I pointed out that that book decided to bring in a mind-blowing change of direction without wrapping up the loose threads. Normally, I think that kind of thing is dirty pool. We purchase books as books, rather than
Colin
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
So I'm reading this book, right, thinking either I've forgotten a lot in the last year-and-a-bit, or else a lot has happened since the last one but that's OK - it's a series that's given to jumps in the action and it doesn't spoon-feed the reader, so I just went with it. Ten pages from the end (ten!) I realise it's the third book in the series, not the second and that's why I'm feeling a bit lost 🤦‍♂️
I think in my mind the series went
📖 Autumn
📖 Winter
🤔 Hm... Spring sounds too optimistic
📖 Midnigh
Alistair
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 or 4-ish
The tale ends and it might have been the best?
Although each on left me thinking that!
Tinglefish
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really wish I’d had time to read this quicker because it really impacted my ability to follow the story and enjoy it. There are so many characters by this point that I often lost track of who was who and did not always pick up on clues given or remember what those pointers were referring to. Consequently it read like a series of really well-written interconnected stories but the threads between them and the previous books were not properly joined in my head. I’ll really need to give the series ...more
Paul
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you’re a fan of thrillers that have a science fiction twist then look no further. Europe in Winter has it all – assassinations, intrigue, twists, turns, explosions, pocket universes and more high tech spy gadgetry than you could shake a big pointy stick at. What more could you ask for? How about the fact that it is book three in an excellent ongoing series, its predecessors are just a little bit brilliant and I rather suspect that its sequels will be as well.

This third book in the Fractured E
Chris
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Scattered across Europe are acts of violence and mystery, and while these go unnoticed by many, the shockwaves are felt by those in power—and those with an ear for secrets—across Europe:

In Russia, a group of terrorists infiltrates the Line—the sovereign nation-state that exists as a transcontinental rail line—and when they detonate their bomb, the explosion from train’s fusion engines levels a small mountain.

In Siberia, an assassin kills an enigmatic foreign dignitary under the noses of his body
Ian
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the third book of the trilogy, but there’s apparently a fourth book in the works. Which is no bad thing, as it’s been an excellent series so far – and I’m not the only person to think so, as Europe in Winter won the BSFA Award only last month (although, bafflingly, it didn’t make the Arthur C Clarke Award shortlist; should I blog what I think of this year’s Clarke shortlist, or are we not allowed to have dissenting opinions any more?). It’s more of the same like Europe in Autumn, rather ...more
Keith
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, science-fiction
Book three in the Fractured Europe series. I enjoyed all of them. The premise is explained in my review of Europe in Autumn, the first book of the series. The great imaginative virtue of this book is the imagination of our world about twenty-odd years down the line. Europe has, as the series title puts it, "fractured" into many, many small political units, or, rather most countries have splintered, a few remain as we know them today. The European Union is gone, the idea of open borders a barely ...more
Alex Sarll
"We're the European fucking Union. We don't negotiate." I wouldn't normally open with a quote from a book's closing chapters, but given the current antics of our leaders, that one was hard to resist. Hutchinson ties together the themes and protagonists of his two previous Europe books, as Rudi the coureur and Rupert the parallel world spook work together to establish what the Hell is going on and how to stop it causing any further catastrophes. The book's strength is also part of what makes it s ...more
Grant
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Europe in Winter just didn't click with me in the same way its predecessors did. I hate to play the role of "befuddled dullard reader who doesn't seem to be paying attention", but the returning characters, influx of new characters, and Hutchinson's prose--which is lean and not given to much in the way of exposition or "remember this guy?"--became a hodgepodge to me, and the book erred on the side of being an overstuffed and confusing read, especially with many of the new characters being somewha ...more
imyril
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The fractures are becoming kaleidoscopic in this third book in the Fractured Europe sequence. Rupert is working as an agent for Rudi; Rudi is trying to work out who is behind a terrorist attack on the Line; and nobody - least of all this reader - can string it together.

Keep your thinking hat handy and your concentration sharp.

I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Full review to follow.
Jack Deighton
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This third in Hutchinson’s Fractured Europe sequence of novels (previous knowledge of which is not necessary for reading this instalment) starts with a bang. Under the Urals a young couple blow up both themselves and a train in the tunnel belonging to the Trans-European Republic (aka the Line.) The significance of this, its ramifications, just who was responsible, do not become clear till much later.
Then, what at first seems merely a re-run of the “Hungarians trash the restaurant in Kraków” scen
Jeroen
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Based on interviews and blog posts by Dave Hutchinson, a picture becomes clear that the Fractured Europe series was not envisioned in its entirety from the start. The first novel was a project that Hutchinson worked on, on and off over time. Europe at Midnight was then pasted on to explore the consequences of all the revelations of the first novel. And that novel in turn created so many new threads to explore that the third book Europe in Winter was written as a rather direct sequel to the secon ...more
David
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Europe in Autumn; Europe at Midnight; Europe in Winter ~ Dave Hutchinson

The first book in this ‘Fractured Europe’ series was recommended to me by a friend, and I bought it as a ebook for a few dollars. Then I rapidly went out and bought the second. The third, maddeningly, wasn’t yet released, but I placed it on pre-order and it arrived a couple of weeks ago.

So I read these three books in a matter of a few weeks. And then I turned around and immediately read them all through again from cover to c
Neil MacDonald
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hutchinson’s third foray into his fractured Europe was originally intended as the end of a trilogy, though word is he’s now working on a fourth book in the sequence. Europe in Winter brings back Rudi, the protagonist of the first book, teamed up with Rupert, the protagonist of the second book. Rudi is now older and more wounded, but surer of himself and more in control as he negotiates a series of “situations”. The structure is also more like the first book – a series of threaded episodes, thoug ...more
Scott Whitmore
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cracked open Europe in Winter believing it was the final entry in a trilogy (more on that below). The first book, Europe in Autumn, was a bit uneven at the start but throughout I enjoyed the author’s prose and imaginative dystopian vision of a Europe where borders are in flux and parallel dimensions possible. We met Rudi, a chef turned courier-slash-international spy, and accompanied him on several “Situations” that only appeared to be isolated events.

The next book, Europe at Midnight, expande
Ian Mond
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In the acknowledgements of Europe In Winter, Dave Hutchinson remarks that this was a tough novel to write. While that might be the case it's not evident on the page. As with the previous two novels, the book is a slick package with sharp dialogue, dry humour and a plot that develops at the perfect pace. Thematically it's also strong, continuing on the themes of a fractured Europe and manic levels of border control.

I'm not going to do much of a plot synopsis. Not because you'll be lost if you hav
David Manns
After the near future espionage thriller that was Europe at Midnight, Hutchinson let’s his protagonist Rudi, from Europe in Autumn, be the focus of this, the third in the Fractured Europe series. Well, I say focus, but it’s more like Rudi pops up at the end of a string of seemingly unconnected vignettes to try and fit together the pieces of a very complex puzzle.

The novel starts in spectacular fashion with two brand new characters and a devastating act of terrorism. And this sets a pattern for t
Sadie Slater
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The third novel in Dave Hutchinson's Fractured Europe sequence pulls together threads from Europe in Autumn and Europe in Winter and weaves them together with the stories of other occupants of Hutchinson's fragmented near-future Europe who are drawn, willingly or unwillingly, into a complex game of spycraft and politics. Like the previous novels, Europe in Winter is structured as a series of vignettes which seem to be only loosely tied together by the often fleeting appearances of Rudi, the sort ...more
Paul Trembling
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dave Hutchinson's 'Fractured Europe' is a confusing place. Bad enough that the old nations have splintered into smaller countries, micro countries, city states and even smaller entities (all with their own borders, customs, and so on) but there's the further complication of contact with an alternate Europe, which is basically England spread out across the continent. And as we dig deeper, we learn that there are further levels of complexity and confusion...

Not surprisingly, perhaps, the character
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Rosewater Redemption (The Wormwood Trilogy, #3)
  • The Quantum Garden (The Quantum Evolution #2)
  • Agency (The Peripheral #2)
  • Gnomon
  • Infinite Detail
  • By the Pricking of Her Thumb
  • The Real-Town Murders
  • The Rosewater Insurrection (The Wormwood Trilogy, #2)
  • Children of Ruin (Children of Time #2)
  • Then We Take Berlin (Joe Wilderness, #1)
  • Atlas Alone (Planetfall #4)
  • Time Was
  • Strata
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • Permafrost
  • The Light Brigade
  • Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy, #3)
  • Summerland
UK writer who published four volumes of stories by the age of twenty-one – Thumbprints, which is mostly fantasy, Fools' Gold, Torn Air and The Paradise Equation, all as David Hutchinson – and then moved into journalism. The deftness and quiet humaneness of his work was better than precocious, though the deracinatedness of the worlds depicted in the later stories may have derived in part from the a ...more

The Fractured Europe Sequence (4 books)
  • Europe in Autumn
  • Europe at Midnight
  • Europe at Dawn (The Fractured Europe Sequence, #4)