Start by marking “Hand Over Hand” as Want to Read:
Hand Over Hand

Hand Over Hand

Who says girls can’t fish?

When Nina asks her grandfather to take her fishing with him on his old banca boat, his answer is always the same: “A boat is not the place for a girl.”
But Nina is determined to go. She knows that if her lolo will show her how to jig the lines, to set the hook, and to pull in a fish, hand over hand, she can prove to everyone in their Filipino fish
Published April 4th 2017 by Second Story Press

To ask other readers questions about Hand Over Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand Over Hand

Fran
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nina lives in a Filipino fishing village. Lolo, her grandfather, fishes in an old banca boat. He spends long hours on the water. Her job, like that of other village girls, is to stay on shore.

Nina convinces Lolo to take her fishing arguing that two people can catch twice as many fish as one person fishing alone. She is determined to bait her own hook and remove her own fish. Lolo describes the method of bringing in a fish by using hand over hand. Can Nina succeed?

"Hand Over Hand" by Alma Fullert
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought the message in this book was good. Its nice to see children's books like this one that lets young kids know that of course girls can do things that aren't usually considered appropriate for them. I thought the illustrations were absolutely adorable. I would have liked this to have been maybe a bit longer and also to have had a bit more substance. The book is very very simple, too simple in my opinion. I would recommend this though.

*I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for an h
PattyMacDotComma
Lovely picture book about a little girl who’s tired of being stuck on shore, drying fish (women’s work), when she’s dying to go out fishing! I found that Lolo is Filipino for Grandfather, but it isn’t clarified here whether they are related or whether it's an honorary title, like Uncle or Auntie.

She’s sitting, dejected with racks of fish drying behind her.

“On the shores
whoosh
whoosh.”

When Lolo comes down to
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is a wonderful little book packed with so much within its short story. You have enpowerment for girls, equality, giving someone a chance to prove themselves, multi-cultural, intergenerational along with pure enjoyment.

Nina is a young Philipino girl who wants to go fishing on the banco boat with her Lolo (grandfather). She is told that it is no place for a girl. She continues to ask and tells him she will bait her own hook, and bring in her own catch and he finally relents. Everyone laughs a
Kate Puleo Unger
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always love a good girl-power book, and this book was no exception. Nina wants to go fishing with her grandfather, Lolo. At first he dismisses her, saying that girls can't fish. But she is insistent, and she has nothing to do on shore anyway. They can catch twice as many fish if she helps. Her grandfather gives in and then defends his decision when the other fishermen question him.

Out on the boat, Lolo reels in fish after fish, hand over hand. Nina begins to wonder whether the men were right.
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
We need good strong girls in good strong picture books. We also need to have different cultures as well. But, how do you do this, without turning the children reading this book, off?

In this case, we have a little girl, Nina, who has been helping her family with fishing, but never the actual fishing. She feels sure she can do it, and her grandfather says, ok, sure, go ahead.

It is very simple story, and beautifully drawn. I love that her grandfather just keeps letting her try, and try until she ma
michelle
I was able to read this book thanks to NetGalley who provided a digital copy in exchange for my honest review.

Many cultures have notions of who can do certain jobs. There is a long-standing history of women being expected to be housewives and caretakers. We have seen, however, that many men excel in that role and there have been times when women excel in historically male dominated professions.

In Alma Fullerton's new book, Hand over Hand, we are told a simple story of a young girl who wants to
Psusan
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hand Over Hand by Alma Fullerton and illustrated by Renné Benoit is a lovely cultural children’s quick reading story. My grandson enjoyed the clear and colorful illustrations with the short text. He is a kindergartener so while there were repetitive expressions such as, “Hand over hand” that he could read, most needed to be read to him.
My grandson did not understand why girls needed to stay on shore; why couldn’t they fish. Perhaps this is because he lives in the US with younger sisters who do
Damaris Tonner
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
Let me just start off by saying I absolutely adore Second Story Press. This is the second book I've had the privilege of reading by them (first being "I Am Not A Number"), and they are just so lovely.

This story of a young Filipino girl and her elderly grandfather was very reminiscent of "The Old Man & The Sea" by Ernest Hemingway for me. Of course, Hand Over Hand succeeds in telling a much more heartwarming version of events than Hemingway's. Fullerton's overall message for this lovely child
Tara
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this ARC from Netgalley for an honest review.
Each day Nina asks her grandfather if she can go fishing with him. Each day he tells her, girls belong on land. Eventually, she wears him down, and she is allowed to go, but only if she baits her hook, and bring in her fish. Once the lines are in the water, grandfather begins to catch lots of fish. Nina waits and waits and eventually decides to pull her line in, when suddenly there is a great tug, and hand over hand she draws the line in. A
Jenna
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This was a super cute illustrated children's book about a young Filipino girl who wants to go fishing with her grandpa. Everyone tells her that girls don't fish but her grandpa gives her a chance and she proves them all wrong! The illustrations were beautiful and this is a short and sweet book with great messages. I loved that her grandpa believed in her and gave her a chance to prove all the other guys wrong. I will be buying this book for my nieces and nephews and afterschool program when it c ...more
Sean Congemi
In a small Filipino fishing village, a young girl, Nina, wants to learn how to fish with her grandfather. However, every time she asks him he tells her that fishing is not for girls. After persuading him to let her go with him on his boat, Nina's grandfather realizes that she a "fisher-person through and through." This book cover gender equality and gender roles. Nina is on a mission to redefine the gender roles on the island and she does just so. One of the ways the book does a good job of show ...more
Patricia Tilton
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alma Fullerton has written a delightful story about a Filipino girl with big ambitions and a lot of courage. It is also an empowering story for children to see Nina believe in herself. She wants to prove to her grandfather and her village that a girl can do what ever she wants. She’s smart and doesn’t give up, especially when she’s not getting any nibbles.

This a beautiful intergenerational story that celebrates the relationship between  a grandfather and his granddaughter who spend the day fishi
Renee
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice girl power book that takes place on a fishing banca book in the Philippines. Lolo doesn't think the fishing boat is a place for girls when Nana wants to join him. Without much success Nina wants to give up, but when a big fish takes her bait, Lolo won't let her give up.

I like how Lolo seems to be discriminating against Nina from the first interaction, but as the book continues, we see Lolo standing up and cheering for Nina in his own quiet way.

Nice repetitive phrase: "Hand over hand" that
Linda
There aren’t many books set in the Philippines, so I am happy to share this one written by Alma Fullerton. Nina really wants to go out with her grandfather, Lolo, fishing all day. He continues to tell her that “A boat is not a place for a girl” until one day, she gets her chance. That “hand over hand” is part of Nina’s challenge and success, and she gets to celebrate her time with all the Filipino village. Renné Beloit’s illustrations are lovely, realistic watercolors.
Cheriee Weichel
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nina wants to go fishing with her grandfather (Lolo) but a boat is not the place for a girl. Eventually, by agreeing to bait and remove her own fish, he agrees to let her try. At first it looks like the other fishermen might be right about a girl’s place not being on a boat, but in the end, Nina surprises everyone, including herself.
Renee Benoit’s water gorgeous colour illustrations convey the loving relationship between the two characters as well as beauty of the ocean landscape.
Cait
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
A fantastic book showing that it doesn't matter what gender you are, you can be and do whatever you want. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do something because "you're a girl". A powerful message, in a great story.
Earl
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A girl wants to fish with her grandfather but, in their small village in the Philippines, the people say a girl doesn’t belong in a boat but on the shore. With her grandfather’s permission and help, she spends the day out on the bay- waiting, waiting. Will she catch a fish? Can she prove the naysayers wrong?
Laine
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
i love lolo for granting his granddaughter her wish, to go fishing with him even while the other fishermen scoff at her gender. his very simple reply to her worries when she can't catch any - "...fish can't tell you're a girl" - is exactly the attitude we all need. fab.
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
2018 Amelia Bloomer Project Top Ten
Chou Yuko
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story uses that people think only men can fishing but a young girl wants to try. This story has empowerment for girls, equality, giving someone a chance to prove themselves.
Rachel
What a wonderful story of perseverance.
Tracie
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, all
A young girl wants to try fishing despite the skepticism of others who think only men can do so.
Mary
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
An inspiring story about a little girl who goes against the expectations of her village and shows everyone that girls can fish.
Kristi
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018picturebooks
"Girls can't fish!"
"The fish don't know you're a girl."

I love that this story addressed the idea of gender roles in a way that kids can understand!
Ryan
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I’m sure you have heard it before, but girls can not fish. Or at least that is what people think in Nina’s fishing village. Her Lolo agrees to take her out, and she leans that she can fish if she takes her time and goes hand over hand. Not quite what I thought this book would be, but it is lovely, and it works.
Andréa
Great intergenerational story that shows anyone can do anything they put their mind to.

Note: I received a digital review copy through NetGalley.
Britt
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: slj-review
Read and reviewed for School Library Journal (issue 2017-03-01):

PreS-Gr 2—Every day, Nina watches Lolo prepare his banca boat for the day's fishing trip, wishing to join him. But "a boat is not the place for a girl," Lolo says. After Nina promises to bait her own hook and contribute her fish to sell the next day at market, Lolo agrees despite the jeers of other fishermen. While Lolo pulls in fish after fish, Nina's line remains empty. Just when the day is almost over and the little girl has give
Erin Connolly
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t-l-307
Multicultural Literature. This author wrote this book to give young Filipino girls identity in children’s literature. “Girls can’t be fisher-people” the lie overcome in this book. This book serves its purpose well.
Barbra
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nina is determined to show her Filipino fishing village that girls can help with the fishing too. Reluctantly her grandfather takes her. As she watches him slowly bring in fish after fish she finally gets a tug. Soft illustrations and easy text describe the sights and sounds of the sea.