Start by marking “The Book of Greens: A Cook's Compendium of 40 Varieties, from Arugula to Watercress, with More Than 175 Recipes” as Want to Read:

From one of Portland, Oregon's most acclaimed chefs comes this encyclopedic reference to the world of greens, with more than 150 creative recipes for every meal of the day.
For any home cook who is stuck in a -three-green rut---who wants to cook healthy, delicious, vegetable-focused meals, but is tired of predictable salads with kale, lettuce, cabbage, and the other usual
Published April 11th 2017 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Greens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Greens

Lara
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book for those wondering how to prepare different types of greens, including less common ones. Each type of green is described, including general information on preparation. then there is a series of recipes, many of which mention other greens that can be used as substitutes. I had some Swiss Chard on hand, so made the Swiss chard polenta and the Pickled chard stems. The polenta was amazingly delicious (it had cheese too), and is a great side dish that is also pretty substant ...more
Melissa Dee
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This A-Z compendium of Greens contains not only recipes, but a number of useful tips for shopping for, storing, and planning meals around a huge variety of greens. Louis uses not only old favorites, but a whole host of new (to me) vegetables including, just in the A’s, Agrumi and Amaranth. Her recipes are delightfully eclectic arising from her extensive travels. I’ve tried a few, including the steamed white fish, with cardoons (I subbed in Chinese celery), the bruschetta with escarole, and the k ...more
Lance Mellon
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book about veg, very informative about which part of the veg to eat. Most people don't know that top of root veg is as good as the bottom. Great recipe for aloe drink. There's an errata on page on page 209 right top which is not a kohlrabi but a fava. I hope the editor can fix this on its next re-print.
Debbie
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
"The Book of Greens" explains how to use 40 varieties of leafy greens in your cooking and provides 175 recipes that include those greens. These are not "healthy" recipes. She adds the greens to dishes that use cheese, cream, eggs, fish or meat and use a lot of oil or sugar. Since she's trying to get a specific blend of taste and texture, I doubt the dishes will taste as good if you remove or replace some of the ingredients. She's traveled a lot, so there are recipes from other cultures in additi ...more
BookBec
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
A good number of interesting recipes, and an awful lot of greens that you're not going to find unless you live near incredible ethnic markets. And I say that as someone in a big city with some great ethnic markets. But, bless her, the author gives alternative greens on every recipe, so if the recipe sounds good but you know you'll never find the obscure green, you can sub in her recommendation.

Why only 3 stars? I save 4 stars for cookbooks that are likely to earn a place on my shelves. This is a
Leyla Johnson
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you have ever wandered through a fresh food market and wonder what that vegetable is, or even if you knew, wondered how to cook with it. Well what a wonderful and informative this book will prove to be. I for one had often followed my grandmother into the fields on a forage expedition and ate the results of these hunts, but now I find myself 50 yrs later, wondering how did she cook these thing to make them taste for great. This book answers all my questions and has introduced me to many that ...more
Shipshapeeatworthy
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Louis, she is an acclaimed chef, restaurateur, and cookbook writer from Portland, Oregon. Book of Greens is her second cookbook and it is a beautiful, encyclopedic look at the world of greens. Right from the beginning Louis’ connection to greens is apparent — growing up in Southern California her family grew their own food. I can’t imagine what it was like growing up and having a yard full of citrus trees, avocado trees, along with peach and plum (did I m ...more
Amber
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is really cool. Not only does it give you recipes, but it gives you other information about the greens, like when to buy it, how to buy it, how to store it, etc.
Nora St Laurent
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book blew my mind about the wide-ranging shapes and sizes of the 40 varieties of greens listed inside this beautiful hardback book. I was amazed by what you could create with them. This writing team includes familiar and obscure greens in the recipe mix. The recipe headings include Starters and Snacks, Salads and sides, Fish and Seafood, Pasta, Grains and dumplings, Meaty mains, Drinks and sweets, and Veggie mains.

The authors begin the book with the basics. They talk about getting started.
Jill
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of recipes for healthy greens that are full of different vitamins. It shows how to take care of the greens after you buy them, how to prepare them, and how to cook them so they will maintain their appropriate taste and texture. It gives an introduction to each of the kind of greens that are used, as well as lists different varieties of the greens, what season to use them, how to choose, clean, store, and refresh them. It gives cooking methods, other food items that pair well wi ...more
Elaine -
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-book
Check out my blog for more book reviews

This book is absolutely beautiful! It is a hard cover with an easy to open spine (I love when a cookbook stays open while I'm using it!). The lettering on the front is embossed and the book contains beautiful photography. Even before reading the book I fell in love with it's look and feel.

Honestly I was a little intimidated by this cookbook. We eat greens, but the typical everyday kind. Lots of salad, broccoli, spinach, and brussel sprouts are consumed in
Whitney
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely delighted with this cookbook. The information is presented in an easy to find manner. It is presented in a very clear manner and I loved how there was some information about the type of green before each group of recipes. I think it is very helpful when buying, storing, and cooking to have some knowledge of the ingredients you are using to make the dish taste wonderful.

The book is filled with beautiful pictures that will make you want to try all the recipes in the book. Whether
Andrew Farley
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you've ever wanted to expand your knowledge of leafy greens, this is the book for you!

The Book of Greens jam packed with information and creative ideas concerning greens. No more will you have to cast aside the leafy parts of vegetables you felt were unnecessary. No more will you pass by the farmer's market stands of obscure leaves. With this book you will have the power to transform these once cast out bits into the highlight of any dish...

Well, maybe not ANY dish, but at least four deliciou
Sherri Smith
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: This is for those of us who are aware of the wealth of green veggies out in the market today, but have no idea how to cook or use them, outside of the typical same greens you eat day after day. This cookbook is for us. It tells us the good things about the green vegetables and in addition, provides some recipes that we can follow along and taste the greens for ourselves.

I did try one of the recipes, and it was for a minestrone soup. The one thing (outside of the greens) that took my s
Alisa Wilhelm
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-book
BEAUTIFUL full color photos, and delicate, elegant recipes are arranged by the green in question. In short, I want a copy to keep for the generations.

If you have ever been to a farmer's market, or did one of those organic "plot share" programs, you might have run into some greens that you had never seen before and whose name you have never heard uttered. When I lived in Southern Arizona, I used to frequent a food bank farmer's market that had robust seasonal offerings that made sense for the env
Lori
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: food, nonfiction
This is a beautiful cookbook, filled with great photographs and a lot of interesting information. After browsing through it in the store I chose to buy it because I thought I'd end up using it quite a bit. However, once I had it home I came across a number of typos in the first few sections I read, as well as incorrect page numbers listed in the index. It's a shame, because it is so artfully laid out, but these errors are so numerous and distracting that I'm returning the book to the store.

The c
Liz
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery
A book on greens, but not a vegetarian book (just in case you're looking for that).

The pasta section was the best I think. Create your own customized pesto chart and pasta recipes. The pasta recipes are definitely not novice recipes as they use buckwheat and semolina, which can both be difficult to work with your first time around.

I like the green spotlights throughout the book that tell you more about the greens as you're going through: growing season, popular usage, and flavor profiles.
Helga Nel
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
NOTE: I received this book curtesy of NetGalley and Ten Speed Press in exchange for an honest review.

Ever wanted to know nearly very thing about greens. Then this is the book for your, very informative if you are a bit adventurous it is a must.

I really enjoyed learning a few new things and will definitely make a couple of these recipes if the near future.
Gooshe Net
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Some types of greens you will find in this book; Robust: Broccoli, Burdock, Dock, Grape leaves, Seaweed. Tender: Agretti, Amaranth, Arugula, Broccoli greens, Celery leaves Chickweed, Fava greens, Herbs, Lemon Balm, Minutina, Mustard greens, Tatsoi, Tomato leaves, Sorrel, Water spinach and Watercress.
Nancy
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Great information on the history of many greens along with their typical uses, flavors, etc. But almost all of the recipes use dairy, meat or cups of oil. I can't imagine how you'd even taste the unique flavors of the greens with these added ingredients. I expected recipes that would highlight each green's individual flavors.
YC
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting, informative book. You think you know your greens, then you come across this book and find a whole new world that you've yet to appreciate. This is the holy grail for those who've ever wondered: When should I buy this green? How do I store it? How should I spruce up my salad? Really enjoyed this book, this is an excellent resource.

Thank you to publishers and Netgalley for this ARC.
Cat
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing! There were greens I'd never hear of in this book- with recipes! Lots of recipes! I happen to enjoy greens, so this book just caught my eye. I've had most of the greens in this book, but when I discovered new ones, well, a whole new world to discover! I need to find and try them out!
Kathleen Ross
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book.
I very much enjoyed the tidbits of knowledge about each green or personal story, all while describing the traits and characteristics that would take a discouraging amount of testing if you stumbled upon them without some guidance.

This book has a wonderful amount of entries in it.
It's a great encyclopedia and a great read.
Aja Marsh
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful cookbook, introduced me to greens I hadn't heard of, which impressed me! The recipes themselves are a bit out of reach to a general-ish audience, broadly speaking, but I mostly appreciated the gorgeous photos of all of these unique greens-- treated with a lot of love, that was easy to see. The layout made it easy to find out a bit more about each green and how to use it. Super!
Viriam
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a vegetarian, have been for a long time. The Book of Greens introduced me to many new and previously unused greens that are tasty and useful in making great food. The book goes through greens, and green families, with info on the green followed by varied recipes using the green. Most of the recipes are resourceful and ones i had never had before. Very nice book.
Claire
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I need to buy this book. I’m obsessed with the ideas, recipes & pictures.
Molly
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, non-fiction
4.5, really well done.
Jamie Holloway
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
love this book. In fact, my sister who is visiting me bought her own copy after leafing through mine.
Margaret Gerberding
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I love all kinds of greens, so I like to find more recipes to use the greens in our garden. Did you know tomato leaves are not poisonous, as believed, but edible? I learned that!
Nancy
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
format was a little hard to follow
maybe I need the beginners guide to
greens
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Mark Bittman's Kitchen Matrix: More Than 700 Simple Recipes and Techniques to Mix and Match for Endless Possibilities
  • Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice & Aguas Frescas
  • Bean By Bean: A Cookbook
  • Gjelina: Cooking from Venice, California
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Crossroads: Extraordinary Recipes from the Restaurant That Is Reinventing Vegan Cuisine
  • Sous Vide at Home: The Modern Technique for Perfectly Cooked Meals
  • Bitter: A Taste of the World's Most Dangerous Flavor, with Recipes
  • The New Sugar & Spice: A Recipe for Bolder Baking
  • Alchemy of Herbs: Transform Everyday Ingredients into Foods and Remedies That Heal
  • Food52 Mighty Salads: 60 New Ways to Turn Salad Into Dinner
  • Garlic, an Edible Biography: How the World's Most Pungent Food Changed the Course of History, Medicine, and Cuisine
  • Oil Pulling Revolution: The Natural Approach to Dental Care, Whole-Body Detoxification and Disease Prevention
  • Everyday Dorie: The Way I Cook