Start by marking “You Can Read” as Want to Read:
You Can Read

You Can Read

In this fun and funny celebration of literacy, kids of all ages will discover that the act of reading is a daring adventure that can take you anywhere! You can read at the playground, under the sea, at the opera and even in outer space! It turns out you can read everywhere! And when you do, you open yourself to a universe of adventure.
Presented in light-hearted, rib-tickl
Published February 28th 2017 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about You Can Read, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Read

Start your review of You Can Read
Prabhjot Kaur
Dec 23, 2020 rated it liked it
You can read sends out a really good message to kids that you can read anywhere, that reading is good. Illustrations are also nice and rhyming is fun. There was no period at the end of the sentence and all it is written in all-caps but I ignored it. I was quite liking it until it said You can read walking down the street, I don't think that's the message we should be spreading. A good message overall.

3 stars
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: september-2020
SOOOOOOO CUTE
Becky
First sentence: You can read in the classroom. You can read in the park. You can read on a mission under cover in the dark.

Premise/plot: You Can Read celebrates reading books anywhere and everywhere. It rhymes, and in a good way.

My thoughts: The text of the book is in all-caps. I found this very annoying to read. But even more annoying is the disturbing lack of periods. There is not a single period in the whole book. (I couldn't help adding periods into the text I quoted above. I just couldn't
La Coccinelle
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is basically just a celebration of reading, written in rhyme. Spoiler alert: You can read anywhere! That's the basic gist of the whole book.

The illustrations are not really my thing. I also found them a bit confusing at the end. Throughout the book, we see the titles of the books the characters are reading. They're not meant to be read as part of the rhyming text, though. So on the penultimate page, when the characters' books are part of the rhyming verse, it really threw me. I didn't read
Rick
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2017
I really like to book though I don't believe one should read under the sea. The book will get wet. ...more
Etienne
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
4,5/5. Great ode to the love of reading. Not much story, but it shows with a touch of humor, that you can (and probably should) read anywhere, because reading is great. Perfect for books lover who wants to share their love with young ones or future reader!
KC
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a true gem of a story. It's funny text and vivid graphics make this book a wonderful addition to your collection. ...more
Amy Brydon Jones
A great book for children who may be struggling in KS1 with reading for pleasure. The language is simple and easy to follow, but it just goes to show children the power of reading.
Moonkiszt
Featured in a grandma reads session.

This charming book is a quick reminder for my crew that they can read. That their parents can read. That most members of their communities can read. That the best futures ahead will need to be populated by confident, thorough and careful readers.

Kudos to them for continuing daily practice reading, honing their curiosity to a sharp point and polishing their communication skills, while exercising their imaginations every waking moment.

A perfect appetizer for ou
Steve Holden
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a new book that's simple and to the point. It's about how everyone can read everywhere, and it celebrates the love of having a book and a spot to read it. I love the sentiment, and it's a perfect tale to put in front of a child as summer begins - because summer makes for a perfect time to read! The illustrations are simple, but fun, and I can foresee this one having some extended life with libraries and book clubs in primary rooms because it's a very easy read for young students. ...more
Alice Bennett
Mar 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I really liked this very simple book about the pleasure of reading and how it is something that can be done anywhere! I would share this book in an assembly and then hold a competition where children have to take a photo of them reading in an interesting place. It could be used during a reading-themed week.
Amy
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Falls flat and illustrations are scary. I was hoping for much more from this book.
Melissa
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clever book that highlights all of the places you can read. Perfect to build a love of reading in students and to launch summer reading. You can literally read ANYWHERE!!!
Christina Reid
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the message this book sends - you can read anywhere so long as you read! Should be a staple in every classroom!
Shiloah
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute, cute and simple book on books for kids.
Stacy
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks for the recommendation”E”. This will be a great book to share with young students.
Laura Brandon
A beautifully illustrated book that encourages children to read, and why it’s good to. Within the illustrations there are often humorous titles books that relate to the text of the page. While this book offers little to pull apart, the accessibility and rhyme make the book easy to read, therefore may help to encourage reluctant young readers who need to see the benefits. This could be used as a shared read to open up questions about why everyone reads, and what sort of books they enjoy. This dis ...more
Blake Bramley
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this little book; it’s a very sweet and interactive story that shares the joys of reading in a humorous and relatable way.

The story rhymes, which is always an added bonus for any book meant to engage children, and shows many scenes that will get children talking: from space to the playground.

The book is wonderfully inclusive, using places from around the world, and even including illustrations of a reader using Braille as the highlight of a double page spread.

A great talking piece for c
Joseph Ghione
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Helaine Becker created a delightful warm-hearted picture book on the many places you could read. The adventures of where you could read vary from being under the sea, at school, in your underwear, and even in space with charming vibrant pictures that are perfect to inspire students to be open minded to learning anywhere! This book would be a perfect open read aloud to start the day for students to create a positive environment at any point of the day!
Sheri
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Not much of a story line but tells children they can read in different places and the print is in big capital letters to help even the earliest of reader decipher the words. Muted tones in illustrations and easy read for K-2nd grade readers. A read aloud the kids can read with the teacher or parent reading to them.
Great Books
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ages-5-8
In this charming celebration of books and reading, discover the many places to go on a reading adventure from the park and the classroom to under the sea and outer space. As the back cover notes: "Books are awesome. And so are the people who read them."
Reviewer 1
Lauren
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute reminder that we can read anywhere. It will surely be a hit with the elementary crowd since it has two of their favorites, the word underwear and a character going to the bathroom. This book would be a good resource for reading engagement mini-lessons.
Barbara
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Helaine Becker and Mark Hoffman have created a fun book for beginning readers to explore all the ways and places a person can read: In the classroom, in a park, on a mission, in the dark! You can even read while walking down the street but watch where you step! Uh, oh. for ages 4 - 7.
Lori
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a cute picture book for preschoolers about all the places one can read. It even issues warnings about what might happen if you choose to read in a few of the locations. The illustrations are done well enough but are not outstanding.
Bethe
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Bookaday #81. Fun ode to all the places and times you can read. Be sure to go back and read a second time to notice the rhyming text - I spent time on each page checking out all the funny book titles in the illustrations. Love the girl reading while walking!
Jillian Heise
Cute. Simple, rhythmic text (though a couple rhymes felt overly forced). For those who love to read, or to engage those who struggle finding time to read. Would be fun to share at the beginning of the school year.
A Allen
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the text in this book! As the book explains, you can read everywhere! The "read at the table" bit made me laugh out loud. I even learned a new word after looking up "fricassee" and how to pronounce it. Adding this title to my collection and recommending it to others! ...more
Tori
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
It rhymes, but sometimes the pictures are necessary for the story to make sense and sometimes they're not. Totally not suited for storytime.
This one was featured on Readbrightly's 17 Picture Books of 2017.
Betsy Ellor Words Unbound
This book is great as a read-aloud. It's funny and fun and great to get kids pumped up for reading. It also works really well as an early reader. My 1st grader who is pretty average to a little behind on reading read it with a little help from me but not much. ...more
Cassie
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word, I love this book!!
Working in early childhood, there is nothing quite like watching a child learn to read. Their excitement and the sparkle in their eyes is pretty hard to beat.
I could see this book being used at the beginning of the year as an introduction to the journey students will take to become readers.

Personally, I see myself throughout this book. I typically read while I'm in the middle of cooking dinner and always have a book with me. I love the message that reading can be d
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Holy Mole!: A Folktale from Mexico
  • Circle
  • Sky Color
  • The Vast Wonder of the World: Biologist Ernest Everett Just
  • Hooray for You!: A Celebration of "you-Ness"
  • Thankful
  • Waiting for the Biblioburro
  • Dog Loves Books
  • The Couch Potato (The Bad Seed, #4)
  • Triangle
Helaine Becker has written over 70 books, including the #1 National bestseller, A Porcupine in a Pine Tree,and its sequel, Dashing through the Snow, Sloth at the Zoom, Dirk Daring, Secret Agent, the Looney Bay All-Stars chapter book series, non-fiction including Counting on Katherine, Worms for Breakfast and Zoobots (all Junior Library Guild Selections), Monster Science, You Can Read, Lines Bars a ...more

News & Interviews