Start by marking “The Tygrine Cat (The Tygrine Cat, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Tygrine Cat (The Tygrine Cat, #1)

The Tygrine Cat

(The Tygrine Cat #1)

Feline lovers and fantasy fans will go for this high-suspense tale of a cat with ancient powers who must save a feral clan.

Alone and lost, a young cat called Mati is struggling to be accepted by a colony of street cats in the bustling marketplace at Cressida Lock. What Mati doesn’t know is that he is the last of a vital, age-old breed and that a mysterious feline assassin
Published April 8th 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published July 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Tygrine Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tygrine Cat

Start your review of The Tygrine Cat (The Tygrine Cat, #1)
Dawn
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of Warriors
Shelves: washyarg
I picked this up at Washyarg for my niece, and I think she will love it. Young and orphaned, Mati the “catling” finds himself lost and alone in a bustling market place. Befriended by some other cats, he is soon adopted by a clan of feral cats. As Mati remembers more about his mother and his previous life, it becomes apparent that he is being pursued by something evil. Mati must draw on his mythical powers to fight the force of evil that threatens his new life and friends. Part mythology and part ...more
James
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I always love a book with historical references; especially the historical fictions. But this book, combined that with a hint of "Warriors," just kept me reading into the early morning hours! Sure, the fantasy gets somewhat hardcore with magic and cats trying to take over the world, but if you read it for what it is worth, you, too, will enjoy it.

So, our main character, Mati, is sent off to London to fend for his own, not sure how he got there. Soon after, he joins a group, the Cressida Cats, a
Maddieflavor
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loving both cats and fantasy, I adore this book! The concept is interesting and different, and the story is good. It is one of my favorites.
Terry
I don’t usually enjoy books where the main characters are animals, but I found this one exciting and fun to read!! Mati was a very well-developed character and I enjoyed the references to Ancient Egypt. The theme of true friendship also runs throughout the story, making it a great book to read and discuss with children.

To read our full review, go to the Reading Tub.
Sheila Ruth
Apr 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
A fun book with strong appeal for fans of animal fantasy. Well-drawn characters and an interesting plot, with a unique link to ancient Egypt. The writing is occasionally awkward in its transitions between the cats' point of view and a more omniscient human point of view.

Click here to read my entire review
Sparrowkeeper
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Tygrine Cat was exciting and well-written by the stunning author Inbali Iserles. We follow the adventures of Mati, the destined Tygrine Cat, though he doesn't know that yet. Where he goes danger follows, and a thrilling battle for survive begins - where only Mati can save them all. It was an exciting novel that I fully recommend.
Firestar
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's book was really good when I read it. I like fantasy and animals so I had to pick this one up. I went to my school library because it caught my eye, and after I read it, I did not want to give it back. I rated this book five stars because it was so good, it reminded of Warriors. Now I just have to get my paws on Tygrine Cat On The Run...
Bunnison H
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shonagh
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am seeing all the 3 star reviews but I don't understand why no one likes this book. It was amazing. I love animals and am a fan of Foxcraft and Wariors
Jennifer Watson
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this cat book... The premise was unique and interesting but it didn't hold my attention the way I wanted it to. I found myself rushing through it a little bit.

Excellent choice for kids who like animal fantasy.
Helena R-D
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wish I had read this book when I was younger. Although the cat story was very cute and I liked Mati's journey and how he interacts with all the other cats, it is a story suited for young teens and fans of the Warrior Cats series.
Christy
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Was disappointed there wasn't a sequel.. but did I just spy one while typing in this book name!? Off to the Google I go!
Angela
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-fantasy
A well written animal fantasy from one of the authors of Survivors series. A very different looking cat appears suddenly at a busy London market place. He doesn’t remember where he comes from, only that his name is Mati and he came to London by ship from a far away land. Local cats had allowed him to stay but the newcomer is viewed with suspicion. Soon enough there is plenty of reasons for suspicion to be justified as strange and unprecedented events begin to occur with Mati seemingly in the thi ...more
Aelvana
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Mati is still a young cat when his mother sends him away, hiding him on a ship that takes him to lands far from the ones he knows. She wants to protect him from the evil about to swallow up her life. As for Mati, he finds himself in a strange new land, with cats that distrust him. He wants to be accepted among them, but he needs to learn how to live as they do. And all the while, his mother's killers are getting closer . . .

This book failed to capture me. Although I liked the premise, the execut
Adair
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Inbali Iserles was flicking through an encyclopaedia of cat breeds one day, and began to imagine a rivalry between feline dynasties. Relying heavily on tales of cats in ancient mythologies, The Tygrine Cat is the story of Mati, a catling sent away by his mother in order that their dynasty and the future of all cats may be preserved. He travels aboard a ship to a foreign land and is taken in by a group of feral cats who live in the marketplace. Unknown to all, Mati is being pursued by a powerful ...more
Sarah Stumphf
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Even with my love of cats, this was a rough book for me, I just couldn't really get into it.
Kim Otzelberger
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Being a cat lover, I snatched this book up without hesitation. It had gotten some good reviews. The story is the tale of Mati, a young, russet furred cat whose Mother sent him away to protect him from evil. On his journey, he encounters a group of feral cats, the Cressida cats, who decide to let him live amoung them. Throughout the book Mati is hunted down by Mithos, an evil cat sent out to kill him. Mati must use the three pillars and his inner light to defeat the evil forces and save the entir ...more
Anna
Apr 07, 2011 is currently reading it
I'm trying so hard to read this book. I've always hated books about animals, and so it is a real effort. My daughter does not hate books about animals, and I'd like to know when she might enjoy this book, but I'm not sure I can do it. If I told you why I hate animal books, you'd laugh for days, so I won't bother, but I'm not sure I've ever finished a book about a cat. We'll call it Old Yeller syndrome. Which reminds me, I did finish Old Yeller, because Mrs. Key told me I had to. I finished The I ...more
Loraine
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
For all cat people, this young adult tale is wonderful. Mystical. Fierce. Downright feral.

Our cat hero, Mati, like Moses in the bull rushes, is cast adrift by his mother the last queen of a nearly extinct race of cats that is concerned about, well . . . the greater good. Mati is pursued by Mithos, whose presence may be noticed only by a slight whiff of sulfur (hint, hint).

This delightful book just begs to be read out loud, which I caught myself doing on any number of occasions. Loved it!
Eleeza S.
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an overall great book. I really enjoyed the plot and characters, and the development was great for each character. I really feel bad for the main character, and watching him learn and discover new things was happy read. You could really feel tension whenever there was a fight, and you could feel every other emotion that was meant to come through. I liked each character, and wouldn't mind reading again. I do, however, like the sequel for this book more.
Saskia Marijke Niehorster-Cook
A curious story of an ancient lineage cat that stumbles into a territorial feline gang in a new continent. It is the story of his tribes and tribulations fitting in and belonging; with the inner workings of treachery, loyalty and perseverance reminiscent of middle school. A bit slow paced, with vocabulary that might be hard to read for some children.(242 pgs)
E
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fiction
An odd book. Took me quite some time to get into it, as the started/finished dates show. It never fully sucked me in like most fiction books do, but my patience was, in the end, rewarded. Felt like a debut effort; too lazy to check if I'm right. Uneven pacing and an incredibly strange concept, but overall it somehow managed to come together enough to be enjoyable.
Keiley Archer
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
In my animal fantasy phase, I loved the idea of this book and I remember absolutely loving the story. Something else I loved was that the author, Inbali Iserles, is such a lovely person, and when I was younger I used to write to all my favourite authors, and she would always reply. I just think that was really lovely and made me so happy when I was younger! :)
Howlingmoon
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book because the author mixes mythology, history, facts and magic together to create an intriguing tale. I like the idea of cats owning the humans, instead of humans owning the cats. I like her style of writing because it makes me imagine that this is actually happening right now.
Kaida Ashia
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
this was a nice light read, the tygrine cat is about a cat from one of the most powerful family of cats. He was abandoned when he was a kitten and has to learn to live amoung street cats and humans. this is a great book for cat lovers
Charlotte
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
A good storyline. The author hasn't written many books and I think this shows. It isn't the best fiction book I have read. However, I did still enjoy reading the book as a nice easy read and I think a good start to get me back into reading fiction once again.
Siobhan
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cats
It was good but I stoped reading it.
Becky
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
I loved this book, I liked the fact that the cats think they are the owners of humans and feel they are protecting them. It made me chuckle.
Charlotte
Sep 13, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: what-even
Can someone tell me if this is a blatant Warriors rip-off?
Because it sure sounds like it.
Anna Carmel
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I decided to get this book because i love cats! So far it's been a little confusing but the parts i understand are really good

• Lone Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #1)
  • The Familiars
  • Midnight (Warriors: The New Prophecy, #1)
  • Escape to the Mesa (Wild Rescuers, #2)
  • The Battle Begins (Unnaturals #1)
  • The Escape (Horses of the Dawn, #1)
  • The Quest Begins (Seekers, #1)
  • Guardians of the Taiga (Wild Rescuers, #1)
  • Darkwing (Silverwing, #0.5)
  • Starfire (The Guardian Herd, #1)
  • The Quest of the Cubs (Bears of the Ice #1)
  • Twilight (Warriors: The New Prophecy, #5)
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
  • A Dangerous Path (Warriors, #5)
  • Into the Wild (Warriors, #1)
  • Fire and Ice (Warriors, #2)
  • Yellowfang's Secret (Warriors Super Edition, #5)
  • The Fourth Apprentice (Warriors: Omen of the Stars, #1)
Inbali Iserles is an award-winning author and an irrepressible animal lover. She is one of the team of authors behind the New York Times bestselling SURVIVORS series, who write under the pseudonym Erin Hunter. Her first book, THE TYGRINE CAT, won the 2008 Calderdale Children's Book of the Year Award.

FOXCRAFT is Inbali's latest series. In a starred review, Kirkus found THE TAKEN (FOXCRAFT #1) "Beau

The Tygrine Cat (2 books)
  • The Tygrine Cat on the Run