Start by marking “Seven Deadly Shadows” as Want to Read:
Seven Deadly Shadows

Seven Deadly Shadows

Kira Fujikawa has always been a girl on the fringe. Bullied by her peers and ignored by her parents, the only place Kira’s ever felt at home is at her grandfather’s Shinto shrine, where she trains to be a priestess.

But Kira’s life is shattered on the night her family’s shrine is attacked by a vicious band of yokai demons. With the help of Shiro—the shrine’s gorgeous half-f
Published January 28th 2020 by HarperCollins

Start your review of Seven Deadly Shadows
jessica
i wouldnt really consider myself a massive anime or manga fan, but i enjoyed this story. its impossible to not see how deeply inspired this is by the two media forms and i think thats what makes this so fun.

if this book has anything going for it, its the creativity of the plot and the representation of japanese culture. this is incredibly well-researched. its full of information about japanese folklore and has definitely piqued my interest in the subject.

but i cant help but feel the authors st
Eliza ☽
Jul 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
Umm so the synopsis basically pitches this as an anime in YA book form so you know I'm already a slut for this book ...more
Tim
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed, 2020s
Imagine if you will, that someone took the plot of Seven Samurai, set it in modern day Japan, replaced the bandits with Yokai, put in a ton of anime tropes and replaced the villagers with one lone Japanese school girl/shrine maiden who has to find seven death gods to defend her temple. Oh, also Toshiro Mifune’s character is a girl who is a combination of classic samurai, with a slight punk rock aesthetic.

Okay, okay, she's not quite the same character, but she's obviously channeling him through
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
Oh my fucking god. This sounds like all my favorite anime wrapped up in one. I NEEEEEDDDD THISSSSS!
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
DNF @ 70%

I've been reading this since January — almost five full months — and I'm still not motivated to finish it. I really loved the world-building and the atmospheric settings and all of the Shinto lore woven in, and I'll probably come back to this eventually, but I'm setting it down for now because for some reason I just can't seem to attach to the characters. :(
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Seven Deadly Shadows, A Game of Shinigami, Demons and a Shrine Maiden

I love stories with shinigami, yokai and kitsune. So when I read the premise of Seven Deadly Shadows I was super excited to see many of my favorite Japanese things. I became even more excited to learn this is set in Japan!

Did Seven Deadly Shadows live up to the mega expectations of this Japanese Fangirl?

“Grandfather taught me Shinto, not folklore,” I say, balling my hands in my lap. It’s hard to keep my tone even, especially in
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
You can read an excerpt of the book on Epic Reads now, and you definitely should!
"I am a girl surrounded by monsters and ghosts from an ancient world. Most days, they scare me less than people do."
I'm a big fan of Courtney Alameda's writing, so I jumped at the chance to read and review an ARC of this retelling of Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai despite not being familiar with the source material. This book cured my slump and I devoured it in two sittings. This is a fun and immersive read t
lobelyys (tired af)
Perhaps it is better not to be a hero. You must remember one thing about the heroes from the old stories—not all of them survive.

Child,,, no.

The main character was really annoying, emo as if she was still in 2009. The "i'm not like other girls who like idols and put on make up, i see monsters and i live in a shrine!". Shut up.

"Monsters are more human than humans", girl we just saw your shitty parents and two bullies from your school, no other humans, and the whole book is about saving the world
Candace Robinson
I don’t know what it was but I couldn’t get into this! It has everything I could’ve wanted though so I may try it again later on.
Jessica
Immerses you in the culture and life of modern day Japan, while introducing you to the rich tapestry of demons, legends, magic and religion- or at least a small portion of it all! Suspenseful, with a hint of humor and more than a hint of romance, it made me want to eat all the food and touch all the clothes. I'm almost angry at the description of the magic wardrobe that produces any clothes you can imagine . . . I would kill for this wardrobe! But alas!

I struggled with Kira's family- they're all
Claire
DNF
I'm not feeling this one, unfortunately.
I don't know if I'm getting too old for some YA books.
I've been in a book slump lately so we'll see if I'll ever be able to come back to this.
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4.25/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐.25

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The best thing about reading a book that features unfamiliar mythology is getting to do an internet deep-dive to learn all you'd like to know about said mythology. I love books that encourage me to learn, and Seven Deadly Shadows did just that.

I had an incredible time reading this! It might not have been perfect, but it was a lot of fun! There were many fascinating characters to learn about- and plenty of advent
Shanannigans
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Engaging, exciting YA Fantasy with genuine cultural authenticity!

Hey there fellow Book Dragons!

I am so excited to share this review with all of you because it's been a while since I've come across a book, I found to be this unique in such a very large market.

Imagine your favourite manga for me. Now, blend it with extremely well-written, well researched urban fantasy and beautiful Japanese traditions and mythology. Sounds like a lot right? I promise you, this book has it all and then some.

The pac
Alexa
This review was originally posted on Alexa Loves Books.

If you know me at all, you’ll know I love anime and I’m always up for reading YA stories that boast premises like anime stories I’ve loved. I was very excited about Seven Deadly Shadows, and luckily, this stand-alone YA fantasy read was so dang fun! Our heroine is Kira Fujikawa, who happens to be a shrine priestess at the shrine that has been in her family for generations and she happens to have the ability to see yokai (ghosts and demons).
thi
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75/5
- lowkey I’ll give any ya fantasy standalone a good review (haha jk .. unless?)
- no but really, they way my patience for drawn out series is depleting
- I loved, loved, loved alameda’s shutter (still do, highly recommend) so I was so excited to see her come back for another paranormal/supernatural ride and with a ton Japanese mythology (love the authors note detailing their efforts and research)
- And it was great!!!
- I’m a huge anime fan and because this was so dynamic and action packed wit
Caidyn (he/him/his)
Thank you to Edelweiss for the ARC in exchange for an honest review!

DNF at 41%

Well, it didn't work for me. I thought it would, but it didn't.

There's an interesting idea rooted in Japanese folklore, which I was passingly familiar with thanks to the anime (and manga) Ghost Hunt. A murder and then some ghost stuff and then trying to make things safe in some way.

But it was unremarkable besides that. I couldn't get attached to the characters, the plot felt predictable like any other YA fantasy I've r
— nova
Apr 18, 2018 marked it as to-read
um yes I need this right now
Inkish Kingdoms
Jan 27, 2020 marked it as to-read
What is this beauty? Why is it calling my name? Why do I feel the spirits of the old Japanese people whispering in my hear that I have to get this??

Why is not on NetGalley? And why am I pre-ordering it?
rose
Feb 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
dnf (pg. 145 of 376)
Honestly, I wasn't going to review review this but hey, it's time for more chaotic complaints (proper formatting is for losers, amirite ladiez?). Okay:

1) "'You know how I’m always telling you to relax?' You say it so often, it’s almost a catchphrase"(64). Shiro has never told Kira (our mc) to relax before this?? (side note: if your gonna name your kitsune Shiro, at least give him white hair- I'm looking at you Annette Marie, my queen.)
2) In a letter left to Kira, Shiro leaves
Aly
I really like books about Japanese mythology, there are so many spirit creatures and stories. When I saw that this had kitsune and other yokai, I had to jump in. This story mentions a lot of different creatures and I liked learning about them and what their purposes are. Kira is also an interesting character, she starts out meek and submissive but grows into a strong woman who stands up for herself.

My favorite part of the story were the characters. Kira, Shiro, and the rest of her group that te
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Fantastic Flying Book Club, Edelweiss, and HarperCollins for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

So everyone keeps mentioning how this book reminded them of an anime or a manga, and I have to say I totally agree. I was also going to pick a more action packed gif of a kitsune from an anime, b
Gabriela
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
⇢ 2.5 🌟

This book had potential, too bad it was wasted...
I didn't DARE think I'll give it less than 4 stars, but here we are.

• I liked the main character, at first. It was the basic shy girl we meet in every anime.

• The plot, the story, is all happening in a month. And let me tell you what I found disturbing about this :
The main character, a priestess, with no combat knowledge, just a taste for revenge, is supposed to become a swordmaster in this short amount of time. The "shocking" thing? She do
Alexandra
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I received an e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

If you enjoy action anime with romance, mythology and an interesting plot then this book is for you! Kira's life becomes a battle as she must stop evil yokai from turning the world into complete darkness. And not only that, she has to gather a team of shinigami who may not like each other or trust each other that much, in order to save the world.

Personally I loved Shiro. He reminded me
Nicole (FearYourEx)
Kaya
confession: i haven’t read a lot of manga or anime.

Yes yes yes, it’s a problem that must be remedied as soon as possible. However, even with my limited exposure to the world of Japanese entertainment, I still picked up on a ton of anime-ish vibes! There was something in the way action scenes were described, and the wit of the banter, that was very clearly inspired by certain source material.

This was clearly so well-researched and I appreciated that! I’m no expert on Japanese culture* and so I wa
Celia McMahon
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How many of you want a demon-filled, Seven Samurai/anime/manga/Miyazaki inspired fantasy? If less than all of you don't raise your hands, I'm coming over there and slapping some sense into you. You don't know what you want, so let me tell you.

SEVEN DEADLY SHADOWS is about our girl Kira, who is one of those strong and confident heroines, as she battles demons who attack her shrine in modern-day Japan looking for an ancient artifact. Alongside, Shiro, who s half fox and half boy mind you, they dis
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
Jul 24, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
if this disappoints me I'm gonna be quite devastated ...more
Sheila Goicea
I'm so excited to be a part of the SEVEN DEADLY SHADOWS blog tour with The Fantastic Flying Book Club, from January 28th - February 3rd, 2020!

I received an ARC of this book from HarperTeen via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Seven Deadly Shadows is absolutely brimming with Japanese lore. Being mostly unfamiliar with everything represente
Shealea
Jan 24, 2021 marked it as will-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish, won't ever finish. (Jan 21 - Jan 24, 2021)

I might be throwing in the towel too early since I'm only 4 chapters in. But I'm just uninterested and unmotivated to keep going.
Karina
Rating: 4 Stars ★★★★
Seven Deadly Shadows is a character-driven contemporary fantasy that follows Kira Fujikawa, whose on a quest to save her family's shrine by finding 7 death gods and reconstruct a legendary sword in order to fight a demon king! Featuring Shinto and Japanese culture, this YA urban fantasy is filled with adventure, action, and a fascinating tale to keep you turning the page!
Honestly I'm so surprised this book has such a low rating! I loved it and I mean who wouldn't want to

• Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • A Queen in Hiding (The Nine Realms, #1)
  • The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen, #1)
  • Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Symptoms of Being Human
  • Check, Please!, Book 2: Sticks & Scones
  • Lies
  • In the Dream House
  • The Vanishing Season (Ellery Hathaway, #1)
  • More Harm Than Good (David Trevellyan, #3)
  • Alien Superstar (Book #1)
  • 暁のヨナ 5 [Akatsuki no Yona 5] (Yona of the Dawn, #5)
  • 暁のヨナ 7 [Akatsuki no Yona 7] (Yona of the Dawn, #7)
  • 暁のヨナ 6 [Akatsuki no Yona 6] (Yona of the Dawn, #6)
  • 暁のヨナ 9 [Akatsuki no Yona 9] (Yona of the Dawn, #9)
A veteran bookseller and librarian, Courtney Alameda now spends her days writing thriller and horror novels for young people. Her debut novel, SHUTTER, was nominated for a Bram Stoker award and hailed as a "standout in the genre" by School Library Journal. Her forthcoming novel, PITCH DARK (Spring 2017), is a genre-blending science fiction/horror novel in the vein of Ridley Scott's 1979 film ALIEN ...more

News & Interviews