Start by marking “Seven Deadly Shadows” as Want to Read:
Seven Deadly Shadows

Seven Deadly Shadows

Kira Fujikawa has always been a girl on the fringe. Bullied by her peers and ignored by her parents, the only place Kira’s ever felt at home is at her grandfather’s Shinto shrine, where she trains to be a priestess.

But Kira’s life is shattered on the night her family’s shrine is attacked by a vicious band of yokai demons. With the help of Shiro—the shrine’s gorgeous
Published January 28th 2020 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Seven Deadly Shadows, please sign up.
Amanda K
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Seven Deadly Shadows
jessica
i wouldnt really consider myself a massive anime or manga fan, but i enjoyed this story. its impossible to not see how deeply inspired this is by the two media forms and i think thats what makes this so fun.

if this book has anything going for it, its the creativity of the plot and the representation of japanese culture. this is incredibly well-researched. its full of information about japanese folklore and has definitely piqued my interest in the subject.

but i cant help but feel the authors
Tara ☽
Jul 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
Umm so the synopsis basically pitches this as an anime in YA book form so you know I'm already a slut for this book
Tim
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fantasy, 2020s
Imagine if you will, that someone took the plot of Seven Samurai, set it in modern day Japan, replaced the bandits with Yokai, put in a ton of anime tropes and replaced the villagers with one lone Japanese school girl/shrine maiden who has to find seven death gods to defend her temple. Oh, also Toshiro Mifune’s character is a girl who is a combination of classic samurai, with a slight punk rock aesthetic.

Okay, okay, she's not quite the same character, but she's obviously channeling him through
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
Oh my fucking god. This sounds like all my favorite anime wrapped up in one. I NEEEEEDDDD THISSSSS!
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Seven Deadly Shadows, A Game of Shinigami, Demons and a Shrine Maiden

I love stories with shinigami, yokai and kitsune. So when I read the premise of Seven Deadly Shadows I was super excited to see many of my favorite Japanese things. I became even more excited to learn this is set in Japan!

Did Seven Deadly Shadows live up to the mega expectations of this Japanese Fangirl?

“Grandfather taught me Shinto, not folklore,” I say, balling my hands in my lap. It’s hard to keep my tone even, especially in
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
You can read an excerpt of the book on Epic Reads now, and you definitely should!
"I am a girl surrounded by monsters and ghosts from an ancient world. Most days, they scare me less than people do."
I'm a big fan of Courtney Alameda's writing, so I jumped at the chance to read and review an ARC of this retelling of Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai despite not being familiar with the source material. This book cured my slump and I devoured it in two sittings. This is a fun and immersive read that
Candace Robinson
I don’t know what it was but I couldn’t get into this! It has everything I could’ve wanted though so I may try it again later on.
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4.25/5 stars .25

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The best thing about reading a book that features unfamiliar mythology is getting to do an internet deep-dive to learn all you'd like to know about said mythology. I love books that encourage me to learn, and Seven Deadly Shadows did just that.

I had an incredible time reading this! It might not have been perfect, but it was a lot of fun! There were many fascinating characters to learn about- and plenty of adventure
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
DNF
I'm not feeling this one, unfortunately.
I don't know if I'm getting too old for some YA books.
I've been in a book slump lately so we'll see if I'll ever be able to come back to this.
Shanannigans
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Engaging, exciting YA Fantasy with genuine cultural authenticity!

Hey there fellow Book Dragons!

I am so excited to share this review with all of you because it's been a while since I've come across a book, I found to be this unique in such a very large market.

Imagine your favourite manga for me. Now, blend it with extremely well-written, well researched urban fantasy and beautiful Japanese traditions and mythology. Sounds like a lot right? I promise you, this book has it all and then some.

The
Alexa
This review was originally posted on Alexa Loves Books.

If you know me at all, you’ll know I love anime and I’m always up for reading YA stories that boast premises like anime stories I’ve loved. I was very excited about Seven Deadly Shadows, and luckily, this stand-alone YA fantasy read was so dang fun! Our heroine is Kira Fujikawa, who happens to be a shrine priestess at the shrine that has been in her family for generations and she happens to have the ability to see yokai (ghosts and demons).
nova ryder ☼
Apr 18, 2018 marked it as not-yet-published
um yes I need this right now
thi
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75/5
- lowkey I’ll give any ya fantasy standalone a good review (haha jk .. unless?)
- no but really, they way my patience for drawn out series is depleting
- I loved, loved, loved alameda’s shutter (still do, highly recommend) so I was so excited to see her come back for another paranormal/supernatural ride and with a ton Japanese mythology (love the authors note detailing their efforts and research)
- And it was great!!!
- I’m a huge anime fan and because this was so dynamic and action packed
Elyse Manhollan
Oct 25, 2017 marked it as to-read
Kira? Shinigami? Sounds like it kind of took inspiration from Death Note? I’m on board with it, I love novels set in Japan.
Amy Imogene Reads
Aug 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
Are you ready? I'm not.

Thank you to the publisher via Edelweiss for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Inkish Kingdoms
Jan 27, 2020 marked it as to-read
What is this beauty? Why is it calling my name? Why do I feel the spirits of the old Japanese people whispering in my hear that I have to get this??

Why is not on NetGalley? And why am I pre-ordering it?
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Well, it appears this one has been pushed back to January 28, 2020. That's so far.
---
Sounds like anime in book form and I am here for it!
Sheila Goicea
I'm so excited to be a part of the SEVEN DEADLY SHADOWS blog tour with The Fantastic Flying Book Club, from January 28th - February 3rd, 2020!

I received an ARC of this book from HarperTeen via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Seven Deadly Shadows is absolutely brimming with Japanese lore. Being mostly unfamiliar with everything
Austine (NovelKnight)
Check out the original review and more on NovelKnight!

This book was provided by the publisher (via Edelweiss). This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Seven Deadly Shadowsis an anime in book form, and I mean that in the best of ways.

This book follows Kira, a young priestess working at her family's shrine. She's throne into a centuries-old conflict involving a demon king, a few kitsune, and shinigami (death gods), among other beings from Japanese legend. And
Nicole (FearYourEx)
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
Thank you to Edelweiss for the ARC in exchange for an honest review!

DNF at 41%

Well, it didn't work for me. I thought it would, but it didn't.

There's an interesting idea rooted in Japanese folklore, which I was passingly familiar with thanks to the anime (and manga) Ghost Hunt. A murder and then some ghost stuff and then trying to make things safe in some way.

But it was unremarkable besides that. I couldn't get attached to the characters, the plot felt predictable like any other YA fantasy I've
Alexandra
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I received an e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

If you enjoy action anime with romance, mythology and an interesting plot then this book is for you! Kira's life becomes a battle as she must stop evil yokai from turning the world into complete darkness. And not only that, she has to gather a team of shinigami who may not like each other or trust each other that much, in order to save the world.

Personally I loved Shiro. He reminded me
Kaya
confession: i haven’t read a lot of manga or anime.

Yes yes yes, it’s a problem that must be remedied as soon as possible. However, even with my limited exposure to the world of Japanese entertainment, I still picked up on a ton of anime-ish vibes! There was something in the way action scenes were described, and the wit of the banter, that was very clearly inspired by certain source material.

This was clearly so well-researched and I appreciated that! I’m no expert on Japanese culture* and so I
Celia McMahon
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How many of you want a demon-filled, Seven Samurai/anime/manga/Miyazaki inspired fantasy? If less than all of you don't raise your hands, I'm coming over there and slapping some sense into you. You don't know what you want, so let me tell you.

SEVEN DEADLY SHADOWS is about our girl Kira, who is one of those strong and confident heroines, as she battles demons who attack her shrine in modern-day Japan looking for an ancient artifact. Alongside, Shiro, who s half fox and half boy mind you, they
rachel ☾
Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
♠ TABI ♠
Jul 24, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
if this disappoints me I'm gonna be quite devastated
micolreads
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was not for me. I enjoyed the read and in the end, I was happy I had a chance to read this. I just did not particularly like the writing style, and I think a few scenes could have been written differently. This book is an easy read; it is good but not perfect. Another thing I appreciated about this book is that I was able to understand dynamics of Japanese culture because the author was great at explaining everything.

Final vote: 3/5

Ebook provided by Edelweiss in exchange of an honest
Myrage
3.5...maybe ? I don't know.. I loved the anime-feel at first, but a lot of things seemed to fall flat for me or be a little too "random" or quick in my liking. I'm not sure if I just wasn't in the right mood or what.. So RTC.
Amanda (MetalPhantasmReads)
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
12/9/19: **4.5 stars**
*I received an ARC from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for a free and honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own*
THIS WAS SO FREAKING GOOD! I read this book at the right time and this made me so happy. I loved Kira's story with her trying to preserve the family shrine and get revenge for her grandfather's death. Her journey to show she grows was fantastic. Both authors did SUCH an incredible job bringing Japan and its mythology to life. I learned a lot
Taschima
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
*3 stars means I LIKED IT. Meaning: I enjoyed the story and some elements, though I do think some things could have been improved. So don't be deterred!

Seven Deadly Shadows is heavily inspired by the anime of my youth (Bleach, Magic Knight
Rayearth, Inuyasha, Death Note…) which is all kinds of awesome because it took me down memory lane, and while I can see the inspiration it is not an identical copy. I was able to appreciate it the story as a whole without feeling like I have been there and
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Beyond the Shadowed Earth
  • Red Hood
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Spellhacker
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Crown of Oblivion
  • The Memory Thief
  • Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters
  • The Stars We Steal
  • Malice
  • Dark and Deepest Red
  • Eight Will Fall
A veteran bookseller and librarian, Courtney Alameda now spends her days writing thriller and horror novels for young people. Her debut novel, SHUTTER, was nominated for a Bram Stoker award and hailed as a "standout in the genre" by School Library Journal. Her forthcoming novel, PITCH DARK (Spring 2017), is a genre-blending science fiction/horror novel in the vein of Ridley Scott's 1979 film ...more