Start by marking “Critically Endangered (Endangered #1)” as Want to Read:
Critically Endangered (Endangered #1)

Critically Endangered

(Endangered #1)

Karen, a veteran and semi-retired professional, watches from the safety of her home as the world she knows crumbles around her. She views the horror of humanity's annihilation via cable television and the internet, until they too are gone. There is no time to understand the inexplicable sickness that takes everyone. Karen's daughter dies in her arms. Her husband and son ne ...more
Published July 25th 2016 by NS Austin

To ask other readers questions about Critically Endangered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critically Endangered

Start your review of Critically Endangered (Endangered #1)
Jeanette
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A different apocalypse...

This virus is different. There is no warning. You get sick & you die. But do you really?
Karen has lost her entire family., Her only companions are her dogs. She does get sick but miraculously she wakes up! Only..she is different... there are so few people left. She doesn't know where. Her town is basically empty...until a knock at her front door.
I found this book so enjoyable. Lots of great characters..and dogs! I love the dogs! They too are special in their own way. Try
jboyg
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Okay Post-Apocalyptic Novel

This is a good book, but it has a few problems: 1) the characters are a bit smarmy at times, 2) the plot is pretty much by the numbers, the main villain is cartoonish. There two sequels and I probably won't be reading them.
Susan
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh.... Interesting premise, could have been a good novel but poorly written. Wasn't advertised as young adult but felt like the writing was for teens. ...more
Jan
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The cover of the book is what first drew me in. I'm loving reading books about dogs--especially dogs trained to help humans in various ways. I thought this book might be about a search-and-rescue dog. I found it was a much different kind of book once I read the synopsis, but I was intrigued.

This is a post apocalyptic book and I haven't read one for a while. The book is very readable and I quickly read it and enjoyed it. Not everything about why and how were answered by the end of the book, but t
Trix
May 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Trix by: Tully Vincent
Sara Sykora
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Critically Endangered and it was a fantastic start to a series.

The story flowed fast and brought in a lot of great, well-rounded characters.

Just when you thought you knew where the story was going, it changed pace and direction and kept you on the edge of your seat.

I loved how the author incorporated dogs in her book. I am hoping in the next book we can find out more about the dogs and their background.

Sometimes Sci-fi stories can get so far fetched that you just stop rea
Rhonda M Goulet
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! this book was easy to get into and very hard to put down!

This is a different taken on "apocalyptic" themed books. I loved the idea, and was not dissatisfied with the result. A smooth read, story starts right off and the characters are interesting. There is not enough to be said about the dogs, that was one of the best parts of the story. I look forward to the next book and if you are looking for a fun and enjoyable read i highly recommend it!
James Williamson
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love a great apocalyptic story where the heroine or hero has a brave animal companion!!!

I'd join that pack anytime! Great Story can hardly wait to start the next book in the series!! Nice twists on the old world epidemic killing off most of humanity theme looking forward to see if the bad pennies our hero and heroine battled will be back and if we will find out where the killer plague originated from!!

Good job,thanks for bringing this story to us readers!
Robert Dill
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Goodgoodgood

The premise was one close to my heart. I have pondered such an ending/beginning many times. The enhancements plus the struggle was wonderful. I'll not give away more story. I am concerned about the sequel given that you chose to use a cartoon face on the cover. And not a very becoming one either. So we'll have to think that one over a bit.
Roxanne
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Highly recommend this book!!! The length is just right (not too short). I enjoyed the people and dogs. The plot was wonderful. I read a lot of books and most are okay but this one I loved. I couldn't wait to have time to get back to the story. This book had me laughing out loud and covering my eyes during suspense. I will read everything by this author. Thank you!
Carol
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Unique!

A u pique outlook on an apocalypse! I loved the story for its difference! The characters are well drawn, and the story is intriguing. An event that decimated most of the population and leaves the scattered survivors different, in a good way. Loved that dogs held such a prominent spot!
Janie
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great reading

Having read quite a few apocalyptic books, this one is very believable and I loved the storyline. Both human and canine characters were wonderfully matched. This book kept my attention and I would highly recommend it. Extra plus is that it has a strong feminine lead, which is the icing on the cake for me.
Lee D. Penn
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good/different book

Anyone who talks to their animals, as I do, and believes they understand, will really enjoy this author.
I do have one problem, though. Ms. Austin let's her "character in danger" scenes go.on way too long, so I began skimming them.. PLEASE - tighten them up. Also, more about the animals, please.
Nancy Nazario
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my new favorite books!

I enjoyed this book because it reminded me of my all time favorite apocalyptic novel “Earth Abides” by George Stewart. These stories both sustain my belief that although flawed, people really are good at heart—and that dogs are universally better than anyone.
Lana Bouillion
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice story

It was a nice story. Totally predictable, but a different story line. The author gives credit to a publisher and an English professor. Both should be fired. Grammar, word usage, typo's, and other errors were so blatant that I literally had to stop reading to try and adjust the flow.
Steve Williams
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Engaging and Entertaining

I love the attention to detail in this book. Although it is science fiction, the author includes enough real detail to keep me grounded in the story. I have already gotten her second book. . .
Tonya Love
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Totally Awesome!

Such a different direction than most EOTWAWKI stories and I absolutely adored it. It's a fast paced story with many great characters and I guarantee you won't be sorry to invest both time and money in this book. Totally worth both!
K9palstruvista.net
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If only!

For me this book was a slow start but once
I became more involved in the story I was hooked.!'losing so many people right up front was hard. But to experience the change as they
Did would / could be a an experience to enjoy.I'm looking forward to the next issue n,a

Betsy Kendrick
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable

Read it in two days. Loved it. Won't spoil but if you love dogs, not-too-hard-core dystopian stories, and still have hope for humanity, you might just like this ride! I did!
Larisa R
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An exciting read

This book was a perfect combination of thriller, post apocalyptic, character development, and a dash of romance. Plus there are dogs. Dogs make everything better. Can’t wait to read the second book.
Cleo A. Hanson
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A terrific story of love and sushi al

I heartily recommend this book to readers of all genre. Survival of a disaster of this magnitude means cooperation, communication and most importantly love and respect. Best book I ever read.
Maggie Deaton
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read !

finally a book that gives our canine compatriots the place they deserve at our sides. Excellent character development and a plot that keeps the pages turning...Looking forward to the sequel(s)!... Maggie
Barb Fike, The Boss
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this book

Great writing by this amazing author. Not your normal zombie book at all. Loved the change the survivors went through instead of the typical zombie. Can't wait to read more of this series.
nancy Chadwick
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved It

This book really moved along. It caught my interest from the very beginning and the fast paced story held my interest right to the end. I was sorry it came to an end and am going to get the next book in the series.
Kelly
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great writing

I enjoyed the story very much. There could be some polishing done but should Come with practice. Over all the character creation was very involved and group dynamics worked well. Recommended Read.
Susie Prater
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Survivors With Dogs

Loved the story and the characters. Each dog, as each person, had distinct personalities and truly were soldiers. Love was gentle and deep. The entire premise of the effects of the change was original.
Karen Chrisman
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am now reading the second one. The only problem was the errors. It would help if someone went through it and fixed those. It caused me to stop a few times to make sure I was reading correctly.
Michael P Whitfield
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An interesting people and dogs

An interesting active fun story with people one can enjoy learning more about their lives and relationships. Loved dog in rtf his story it works well with story. This my second reading book.
Jeanine Spencer
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Great first in a series book. Unique storyline in an ever crowded genre. The animals make this story more readable and upped the emotional investment for me. So worried for Jack! Fully appropriate for animal lovers. And you know why.
Joan S. Royer
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book!

It appealed to me on so many levels. If you like to imagine what would happen to the world if most of the people died off, you will enjoy this concept.

• Allison's Secret (Post Apocalyptic Woman #1)
  • Stolen World (Endangered Series Book 3)
  • Spot and Smudge (Spot and Smudge, #1)
  • The Accord (Allison's Secret #2)
  • The Glasgow Gray (Spot and Smudge, #2)
  • Let Slip the Pups of War (Spot and Smudge #3)
  • Premonitions: Book 2: War
  • Home Fires (Fire from the Sky #5)
  • Faulted
  • Overfall (Broken Tide #1)
  • Premonitions: Book 1: The Farm
  • War Zone: Homefront (Dark Titan)
  • The Mad Mick (The Mad Mick #1)
  • As We Break (Against All Odds #2)
  • All Dark (Still Surviving #2)
  • Fallout (Dark Road #4)
  • Hellfire (Yellowstone #1)
  • A New Dawn (Allison's Secret)
NS Austin, more commonly known as Nancy, has published four novels: Critically Endangered, Beyond the Great Dying, and Stolen World (Books 1, 2 & 3 of the Endangered Series), and Soldier, Hero, Thief, a thriller.

Nancy’s novels are a combination of rich character development juxtaposed against extraordinary circumstances. Those extraordinary circumstances may include the end of the world, aliens,

Endangered (2 books)
  • Beyond the Great Dying (Endangered #2)

News & Interviews