Start by marking “Stonewall: A Building. An Uprising. A Revolution” as Want to Read:
Stonewall:  A Building. An Uprising. A Revolution

Stonewall: A Building. An Uprising. A Revolution

Celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising with the very first picture book to tell of its historic and inspiring role in the gay civil rights movement.

From Rob Sanders, author of the acclaimed Pride: The Story of Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag, comes this powerful and timeless true story that will allow young readers to discover the rich and dynamic hi
Published April 23rd 2019 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Stonewall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stonewall

Rebecca Honeycutt
I'm leaving this unrated because I honestly don't know how to rate it fairly. While I'm happy that there are kid's books about queer history, I don't know if we're doing kids any favors by offering them a bland, sanitized version of reality. Why write a book about resisting police violence and make it seem like it was just people standing around and shouting? Why not use it as an opportunity to engage kids in real talk about police violence, and how riots are the language of the unheard? Why wai ...more
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, lgbtqia
This is nicely illustrated and well-written. However, while it defines gay and lesbian, it doesn't define transgender. In the story, it also only just ever so briefly references the role of transwomen in the riots and aftermath; particularly, the role of transwomen of color, such as Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera, are just a very small vague reference (not even by name) in the afterword.

I'm leaving at four stars because of the importance of the topic and I'm really happy to see a kids book
Philip
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful new children’s picture book just in time for Stonewall 50, the fiftieth anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising which helped launch the LGBTQ 🏳🌈 Civil Rights Movement. Respectful and educational. A celebration of how far we have come and how much more we have to do. Bravo. ...more
Jenn Marshall
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I received a preview copy of Stonewall at a literacy convention. I loved Pride by Rob Sanders and Stonewall lived up to my expectations. It's a great history story put into a picture book. I will definitely be getting a copy when it is officially out for release.
Ben Truong
Stonewall: A Building. An Uprising. A Revolution. is a children's picture book written by Rob Sanders and illustrated by Jamey Christoph, which retells the events of the Stonewall Uprising in New York City. As this book is written to celebrate the anniversary of the uprisings, which happened today (28 June), fifty years ago, I thought it would be apropos to read this book today.

June, at least in my part of the world is LGBTQ+ Pride Month, which I plan to read one children's book, which pertains
Marjorie Ingall
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-6-10, kids-4-8
I like the simple, clear text and the clean lines of the art. I like the gimmick of having the story told by the bar itself. But this is the second children's book about the fight for LGBT rights that underplays the role of trans folk and people of color...which is especially egregious in a book about Stonewall.

For example, a beautifully illustrated spread showing the crowd at Stonewall, we see 17 people. Twelve or 13 of them are white. C'mon.

Five people are in the foreground; four are white me
Elizabeth
I didn't love this book, but I did tear up a bunch reading it.

The device of having the Stonewall Inn itself be the narrator is an interesting one -- which didn't quite work for me at the beginning, but by partway through it mostly just felt like a regular third-person narration.

It feels a little text-heavy to me for a picturebook, but it's also intentionally kind of reined-in like it's for a young audience, so I'm not sure exactly which age its aimed at.

It does a nice job of taking you through t
Kara
You know that LGBTQ+ pride marches usually happen in June, but do you know why? If not, this picture book about the Stonewall riots of June 1969 will give you a historical insight. Told from the POV of the Stonewall Inn buildings, the text and illustrations succeed at depicting injustice and resistance in a way that kids can process yet is not sanitized or glossed over. An excellent nonfiction addition to the growing canon of LGBTQ+ picture books.
Linda Quinn
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A picture book, for children, about the Stonewall uprising and the start of the battle for LGBTQ rights. Simply told and beautifully illustrated, this book belongs in every library in our country. There's still a long way to go.
Nicole
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I looooved this book!! The illustrations are gorgeous and I really like how it shares the history of the building.
Rick
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a well produced book that gives the basics to young readers.
Maggie Mattmiller
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Amazing! Is it perfect? No. But is it fantastic? Absolutely! And the illustrations- absolute winners! Definitely a needed a book. Love it. So thankful Rob Sanders chose to write about Stonewall, and what a cool perspective (from the building itself!) Also, beyond thankful for Jamey Christoph's gorgeous illustrations!
Baby Bookworm
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! Our book today is Stonewall: A Building. An Uprising. A Revolution., written by Rob Sanders and illustrated by Jamey Christoph, the first picture book about the Stonewall Uprising.

Told from the point of view of the Stonewall Inn itself, the building(s), built in 1840s as two separate stables, describe their colorful history throughout the years: converted from stable houses to a bakery, then a restaurant, all as the surrounding Greenwich Village of NYC became known as a place of
Barbara
For many youngsters, it may be hard to imagine a time when police raided bars and arrested clients because of their clothing or sexual orientation. But that was exactly what happened for many years. But that began to change after one tumultuous night. June 28, 1969 was a day like many others. The police raided the Stonewall Inn in New York City and put some of those in the bar in the paddy wagon. For some reason, the onlookers decided that enough was enough, and stood their ground, refusing to l ...more
Josh
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
As the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall riots quickly approaches this June 2019, this beautiful picture book for children (and adults) is hitting the shelves. It's so wonderful seeing a book like this being published for young children. LGBTQ+ history deserves to be known and taught in this country. Actually, there are many adults who need to know this history as well.

As it should be, the Stonewall Inn takes center stage and tells its own story from its humble beginning as a horse stable to an
Lisa
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Greenwich Village has always been a great place, the creative center of New York City. 2 old buildings, built in the 1840s and joined together in the 1930s became the Stonewall Inn in the 1960s, welcoming all different kinds of people, especially the LGBTQ+ community. When intolerance turned into repeated police raids, the community stepped in, and the Stonewall Uprising began. It lasted for several days and nights, the police had never seen anything like it. Today, June 28th marks the anniversa ...more
Emily
This illustrated historical account of the Stonewall Inn is narrated by the building itself, which makes it quite unique. Starting with the buildings' origins as horse stables in early America, and up through the recent US National Monument status, the Stonewall tells the reader its story. The main focus, of course, is on the Stonewall Uprisings in June 1969.

The art is very nice and clear. I thought the account was pretty well written, though the crucial role of transgender individuals was left
Devon
I don't think a star rating would be fair to this book, as it's so important that it exists, and you're not going to get a perfect effort with every telling. The illustrations are great, the language is accessible if there's an adult guiding a child through it... and it is simplified. Something that bothers me is how the extra information at the back talks about trans women of color being seen by many as leaders in the movement, but they aren't given any focus in the text. If they were prominent ...more
Lynn
Wonderful picture book featuring two horse stables that are built in the 1840s in Greenwich Village and gradually witness the changes in the neighborhood until they are combined together into a gay bar called the Stonewall Inn. The story of those buildings and the riots which propelled the Gay Rights movement are contained in this beautiful picture book. Very moving and quite clever, I still have to admit while I’d love to read or share this book in a classroom, I’d still look for an ok from adm ...more
Betty White
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m reviewing this book as a School Counselor who looks for LGBTQ+ non-fiction to use with students.

This book does talk about conflict, but in an effort to make the riot age appropriate all violence has been toned down. So, this might not be the same story you’ve heard before.

The protagonist of the story is the Inn itself—which allows the author to explore how the neighborhood has changed over the centuries.

I think this book would be a great resource to introduce topics of acceptance, advocac
JC Kato
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even in the small but gorgeous town of Rosendale, N.Y. at Postmark Books carries this great book. It's historical in being the first Picture Book about a historical event on June 28, 1969 when the LGBTQ+ community demanded equal rights. Rob Sanders uses the perspective of the building where it all happened to inform his young readers that history evolves just like people do. Jamey Christoph's illustrations integrate the words with pictures that makes this a strong, yet beautiful book to last a l ...more
Sara
I was curious to see how the riots at Stonewall would be depicted in a childrens' book. Rob Sanders took an interesting approach, making the building itself the narrator. He starts off with a brief history of the Stonewall building, which I found to be interesting (history being one of my favorite subjects!) and moves into how the demographic of the Greenwich neighborhood slowly evolved to an LGBTQ+ center. I liked this book, and I think it can be a tool to at least get a conversation started ab ...more
Penny Olson
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was published to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall uprising, a turning point in the LGBTQ+ movement. Historical context is provided by making the building itself the narrator. The illustrations are really well done. I read this book with my 9 year old and it was really useful for exploring and discussing of LGBTQ+ rights. The pictures and definitions at the back of the book were helpful. It’s good to be at a point in history where a book like this can be published, but ...more
Molly
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This picture book tells the story of the Stonewall Inn and the uprising in 1969 that helped move the LBGTQ+ rights movement forward. It is very informative and explains things in a manner that children can understand. However, it is narrated by the Stonewall Inn itself and I find this doesn't work well. It makes it a little awkward. This is why I only gave it three stars. Otherwise, I liked the information and the illustrations.
Samantha
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, lgbtqia
I thought this book was pretty good, although a little clean. Everyone seems to look like a model. Interesting choice to tell it from a building's perspective, although I'm not entirely sure that works.

Important reviews to consider: https://booktoss.blog/2019/06/04/eras...

Cy
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book is so beautiful!! most books about stonewall only start around the 60s, but this gives an overview of the building itself, long before it was a bar, which i thought was interesting.

the illustrations are gorgeous, and probably my favorite part of the whole book. the back matter was great, too. there's a glossary and an interview with someone who participated in the riot, which just.....makes everything feel so much more real.
Crystal
I appreciate this effort to bring attention to this history in a way that makes it accessible to young readers.

I also want to point to the critique provided by Dr. Laura M. Jimenez regarding erasure of some of the participants https://booktoss.blog/2019/06/04/eras.... I am afraid I may not have been watching for that without her post.
Fiona Watson
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked the way it followed Stonewall as a place over time, but the language and illustrations were disturbingly sanitized. It primarily made note of lesbians and gays, with everyone else as an afterthought and didn't effectively illustrate the gender spectrum (or emphasize drag queens!). It also bothered me that there was specific use of the language "men and women" to mean "everybody".
Kayla
An inspiring and pretty but imperfect account of the Stonewall uprising. The story glosses over the violent nature of the conflict and inaccurately depicts the initial 'instigator' as a white female-presenting person. On the other hand, it's good to have a well-received children's picture book on the subject and it serves as a decent introduction for young readers.
Emily
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really great introduction to why Stonewall is so historically important, with an inclusive look at what happened. Nuanced, with illustrations that show a range of the LGBTQIA community. I love the inclusion of relevant and varied back matter: historical photographs, an interview with a participant in the uprising, glossary, and resources for further reading.
Rob Sanders does not work as a telephone sales rep, a loading dock worker, a trophy engraver, or an editor. But he used to. Rob is not a cowboy, a ballerina, an alien, or a temper-tantrum-throwing toddler. But he writes about them. Rob is a picture book author, a writing teacher, a blogger, and a great uncle. He worked for fifteen years in religious educational publishing as a writer, editor, edit ...more