Start by marking “Mouse Guard: Winter 1152 (Mouse Guard, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mouse Guard: Winter 1152 (Mouse Guard, #2)

Mouse Guard: Winter 1152

(Mouse Guard #2)

In the Winter of 1152, the Guard face a food and supply shortage threatening the lives of many through a cold and icy season. Saxon, Kenzie, Lieam, and Sadie, led by Celanawe, traverse the snow-blanketed territories acting as diplomats to improve relations between the mouse cities and the Guard. This is a winter not every Guard may survive. Collects the second Eisner-Award ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 192 pages
Published July 22nd 2009 by Archaia Studios Press (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mouse Guard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouse Guard

Patrick
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Everything I liked about the first book is continued here, with two added elements besides.

1. Of all the elements in these books, the characterization is probably the weakest. It's just not the focus of the story. However, in this second book, we get to know the characters *much* better, and it added a lot for me.

2. Even better, we get to see more of the world of the mice. We meet the hares and see the relationship with the mice. We see a city that used to be occupied by the ferrets, (we haven'
Daniel
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Opasnost raste, niko nije siguran. Cak je i vreme protiv svih. Prica se fino nastavlja i ovog puta imamo dogadjaje koji nisu bili ociti. Crtez je i dalje predivan i jako mi se svidja lokacije misijih gradova i kako je fino ukomponovano ponasanje pravih zivuljki.

5+ :)
Seth T.
Oct 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
In Winter 1152, David Petersen continues his tale of mouse intrigue, glory, and honour apace. Rather than having the squashed rebellion of Fall 1152 simply fade into memory as a one-off plot to give the first volume some heft, we see that these things have lasting consequences and that the flames that leapt up in open rebellion still smoulder in traitorous saboutage.

This volumes lays more foundation for upcoming books as Petersen explores not just the relationships between the guardsmice, but i
Chris
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
It's like an adult Redwall. It's not bad, but there is something about it that leaves me a bit cold. The artwork is wonderful but the Mice Templar is better storywise, I think.
Christopher
As a special reward for May, we bought her the second Mouse Guard. I was a little frustrated to learn a) it hasn't come out in soft-cover yet and b) Volume 3 iss only barely beginning to come out in issues!

My daughter is obsessed. She is going to dress as Gwendolyn for Halloween this year. Her drawing quality took a giant leap when she started drawing guardsmice. She writes her own comics (2-3 panels of mice facing off aginst bullfrogs and the like).

This volume doesn't have quite the epic-span f
Francesco
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, mouse-guard
Se possibile, il secondo volume è ancora più bello del primo.
Molto è dovuto sicuramente alla neve, che rende le atmosfere ovattate e misteriose. L'aver separato il party permette di avere una serie di storie parallele che si ricompongono alla fine in maniera - oserei dire - lirica.
Da brivido la "sequenza muta" durante cui le didascalie "cantano" la Ballad of the Ivory Lass , di cui consiglio l'ascolto durante la lettura per un'esperienza veramente immersiva.
Patricie Ulvrová
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: komiksy
Parádní, grandiózní ujm z brka D. Petersena! Styl jako z Pána prstenů a jednoduše, přesto kouzelně pojatá dějová linka.
Radost! Návrat do času dětství je zaručen.

Chce to další český překlad! ;-)
Andrew
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: c-comics, read-own-d
Reread this one today. I have mixed feelings. The story was fun and I think the art works perfectly to illustrate this world. But I found the book fitted bogged down with exposition. I really didn't care about the complex relationships and when one character was talking about another character I had very little idea who they were actually talking about (this may be due to Peterson, but I'm willing to accept that I just wasn't paying attention - but out of a lack of interest).
Quentin Wallace
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
The second volume of this series was almost as good as the first. The art is tremendous in this series and the story isn't far behind. I've heard many people say they think this series would be good for younger readers, but really I'm not seeing that. The characters are talking animals, but the language and situations are not aimed at younger readers. Well, maybe YA type readers, but not children. I don't mean the book is loaded with curse words, but it's somewhat old English type dialogue, plus ...more
Václav
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: digital, favorites, x2018
Petersen's world of mice is getting deeper (literally :-) ), wider, more complex and more naturalistic. Death, betrayal, fear of danger, struggle, it has it all. Winter is a hostile season and this Mouse Guard book can show it. And I liked it. Very much. The story is not epic, it is more subtle and rather personal, but very well told. The art is as always beautiful, rather on the realistic side, firm ink lines with perfect colouring. I'm really looking forward to next book of this story arc. I r ...more
Bronwyn
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My first reaction after finishing this book: "Aw, man...it's over."

I was instantly captivated by Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 and had to read the next volume as soon as possible. Being a slow reader, however, and what with it being the holiday season, I didn't read Winter 1152 as quickly as I intended. Personal gripes aside, this volume was every bit as lovely as the first, both plotwise and in illustration. The ending was very touching as well.

I believe Mouse Guard can teach readers about the values
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
A dark story with exquisite artwork (and the occasional piece of terrible poetry).
Lumen
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mouse Guard never fails to fill me with the warm & cozies. My favourite fireside series.
Luca
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
★★★★
Jeff Lanter
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Aaron
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it
A much more grounded story than the first Mouse Guard volume. Instead of an epic, sweeping tale with no time to develop most of its components, we get a much smaller story of the Guard just trying to make it back to their home with supplies. This makes for a far more enjoyable read, as it doesn't take huge leaps forward in story, instead staying very close to our main heroes as they battle their way back to Lockhaven.

That said, I still find the series a little silly at times. It takes itself so
Thurston Hunger
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
As mentioned in my Spring 1152 review, we accidentally read this one first, and it was tougher to comprehend lacking the back story. But this journey story, visiting the Weasely underworld and a nice macabre interaction with bats that for my young darklings was much enjoyed.

Speaking of bats, there is sort of a legendary mouse named the Black Axe who your kids will likely love as mine did, but his arc has perhaps a tragic tinge to it, so be forewarned with more sensitive young ones. As this is mi
Rick Silva
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
With supplies depleted as winter approaches, the guardmice send messengers to the nearby towns to request needed supplies and to invite the leaders to a summit to find common solutions to the threats facing the mice. David Petersen envisions a medieval-style society made up of mice and the warrior-mice who serve as their protectors.

While one group is split up as they struggle to make it home, treachery lurks in the halls of Lockhaven.

This was my first introduction to Mouse Guard, aside from a co
Rebecca
Nov 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 5th grade and up
Three and a half stars. The illustrations in this sequel are still gorgeous, and after mentioning Dinotopia in my review of the first book, I was tickled to see this Foreword by James Gurney. He writes, "With impeccable taste Petersen chooses dramatic camera angles and striking compositions, not merely to tell the story, but to expand the world. The colors transition from golden firelight to pale blue moonlight." I guarantee the constant snowfall in this book will make you feel cold.

However, the
Hyathin
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Better than MG: Fall, so if you liked that one at all, pick this up. The art is great, as before, though I completely disagree with the choice of using all caps for all of the mouse dialogue (different kinds of animals actually use different lettering styles). But that is really my only complaint. The story kept me engaged the entire time, and I found the winter season to be most enjoyable for Mouse Guard. Winter is just the most mysterious and magical of seasons, IMO. It was great, too, to lear ...more
Jim
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
It is really easy to fall in love with the merry band of mouseketeers. . . no, not the Disney ones. . .as they go off on a quest in the dead of winter to gather supplies and alliances in response to recent internal tumults and betrayals. Although the plot is not too taxing, or even that original it seems, the artwork is wonderful, almost enchanting I would say. You do get some character development and they square off against natural pitfalls and mortal natural enemies, but they are adorable eve ...more
Guy Gonzalez
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
It's been several years since I read the first volume of Mouse Guard, but Winter 1152 stands on its own merits as Petersen's poetic precision and vibrant visuals once again combine to deliver the epic fantasy goods. His ideas aren't new by any stretch, but his engaging characters, tantalizing setting and hints of the larger world behind the scenes leave you wanting more. (And there's even an RPG for that!) And, as always, Archaia does a top-notch job of bringing it all together in a shelf-worthy ...more
Ghostcat
Just after reading the first volume (Autumn 1152) I started this one, and I think I liked the story a little bit more. Some scenes are quite fascinating and intense, but a little bit frustrating too, as they references to an era that we will not see and that looked so interesting. I managed to attach myself to some characters in this one and the plot was deeper. I'd love to read a third one if it goes better again.
Trae Stratton
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The cinematic paneling and storytelling that started in "Fall" continues here in "Winter" making this a joy to read. I enjoy recharging my batteries between longer novels with graphic novels and this one was perfectly suited to the task. Looking forward to the next installment.
Jonathan Lupa
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
These turned out to be very beautiful graphic novels, and scale well to different readers ages.
Matt Piechocinski
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have trouble distinguishing between the mice. However, I do like Lieam, and thought it was pretty cool when he took up the mantle of the Black Axe. I also think it's a good comic for kids.
Emily
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The artwork is just beautiful and the story is engaging and wonderful.
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I really hope I can get my hands on the rest of these. The art is amazing and the story is really good, too.
Felipe
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"It matters not what you fight but what you fight for"
Dan
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I talk about this book here - https://youtu.be/mJqgwgDPCuE
  • Owly, Vol. 5: Tiny Tales (Owly, #5)
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 15: Grasscutter II: Journey to Atsuta Shrine  (Usagi Yojimbo, #15)
  • The Dark (The Stuff of Legend, #1)
  • Korgi, Book 2: The Cosmic Collector
  • Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight, #6)
Note: There are more than one David Petersen on GR's database. For catch-all profile, see here (dissambiguated via 7 spaces).

David Petersen was born in 1977. His artistic career soon followed. A steady diet of cartoons, comics, and tree climbing fed his imagination and is what still inspires his work today. David won the 2007 Russ Manning Award for Most Promising Newcomer. In 2008, David won the E

Mouse Guard (3 books)
  • Mouse Guard: The Black Axe (Mouse Guard, #0.5)
  • Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 (Mouse Guard, #1)
“You should always aim to be your own mouse, Lieam. In fact...you already are. You are not so quick to jump into danger as Saxon and not as pensive of mind as Kenzie. They rely on each other too much. Saxon knows he can afford to be reckless since Kenzie acts as his conscience. And Kenzie can linger in his thoughts and plans, because he knows Saxon can defend him. I tested Kenzie earlier. I wanted to see if he would be swayed by my advice. It took Saxon's coaxing to make up the greyfur's mind. Be compleete with in yourself young redfur...you will never disappoint. Even in solitude.” 9 likes