Start by marking “Little Pig Saves the Ship” as Want to Read:
Little Pig Saves the Ship

Little Pig Saves the Ship

Little Pig is too small to go to sailing camp with his brothers and sisters, so his grandfather makes him a model ship, and together they sail it on the stream--until it gets carried away by the current, and Little Pig has to rescue the ship before it is wrecked.
Published May 2nd 2017 by Charlesbridge Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Little Pig Saves the Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Pig Saves the Ship

Agnė
3.5 out of 5

Little Pig Saves the Ship is a sweet, clever, and heartwarming story with loving family relationships, subtle LGBTQ characters, and lovely ink and watercolor illustrations:
Dawn Rutherford
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some nice subtle gay grandpas in this <3
Brittany
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This books was an ok read. However, I am going to clearly state that parents NOT wanting to introduce their child to LGBTQ stuff...should not pick this one up. There is a very subtle inclusion of two gay grandpas, but it was CLEARLY noticed by me. I'm not sure that a younger child would catch on, but older kiddos (5+ will notice, and comment). I was not expecting two gay piggy characters (not that there is anything wrong with it), but reading it to my daughter sent me for a loop. Thankfully she ...more
Tasha
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In this second Little Pig book, Little Pig isn’t big enough to join his older siblings at sailing camp. One of his brother’s gives him a rope to practice knot tying. That gets dull after a day. Happily, his grandparents come over and Poppy has been making a model ship. Little Pig helps him finish it and they sail it over and over again. Then on Saturday, the ship gets away from them and sails over a waterfall. Poppy and Little Pig try to catch it, but the current carries the ship away. Luckily, ...more
Mary Lee
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pairs nicely with Imagine That (grandpas with imagination). In this case, there are two grandpas.
A Allen
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute story that demonstrates problem solving skills and quick thinking! I liked the inclusion of the LBGTQ+ community without making a big deal about it or taking away the focus; this is just a story about a little pig and his grandpa(s) sharing a hobby together. I would put this in my classroom.
Jennifer Miera
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Play. Diverse pig famly. I think Grandpa and Poppy are in a same-sex relationship.
Tatiana
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you want to hug a book!

Little Pig is too young to join his siblings at Sailing Camp, so instead he makes a tiny wooden sailboat with his grandfather, Poppy. They sail the boat in the stream. Then one day the boat is carried away downstream, and it's Litte Pig's quick thinking and ingenuity saves the day.

No opaque storytelling here, just a simple tale of perseverance and a dash of courage. The main conflict reached a pitch, and even I was feverishly turning the pages to see what happe
Lauren Kramer
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Little Pig Saves the Ship by David Hyde Costello, Little Pig dreams of going to sailing camp with his brothers and sisters. But, he is still too little to join in on the fun. His brother, Tiny, gives him a piece of rope and a book about knot tying before he leaves.

Little Pig practiced his knotting skills every day. He soon became bored and was delighted when his Poppy appeared asking for his help to complete a small, wooden boat. Little Pig and Poppy worked tirelessly until the toy boat was c
Amy Layton
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Let me shout from the rooftop: I love the Little Pig books!!!  From its beautiful watercolors and fun writing to its heartwarming themes and gay characters, this book is so worth your time.  David Hyde Costello is the author and illustrator for this book, which means that the text and pictures go together just in the way he wants, evoking a picturebook that truly feels whole.

Little Pig is such a relatable character in that he's too young to do what his big brothers are doing.  But his grandfat
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Costello, David Hyde. Little Pig Saves the Ship, PICTURE BOOK. Charlesbridge, 2017. $14.99.

Little Pig’s brothers and sisters are going to sailing camp and he is devastated that he is too young to go with them. He tries to pass the time with them gone, but it’s difficult until Poppy comes over to help him build his very own tiny ship. They build it together and go off to sail. They have lots of adventures together and Little Pig saves the day when the ship blows off course and he has to use qui
Sunday
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A simple storyline and yet refreshing in so many ways. The kind of book you can read aloud to a preschooler or k-1 student or class many times. The kind of book that lends itself to thoughtful conversations--about what's in the written text and what's implied only in the illustrations. Have you ever felt like you were too little to do something you wanted to do? Have you ever learned something new? How are Poppy and Grandpa (two grandfathers) like your grandparents? How is Little Pig courageous? ...more
Great Books
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ages-5-8
Softly told story of Little Pig, growing up in a big pig family. As Little Pig's brothers and sisters leave for sailing camp he is left feeling very small and alone. Grandpa Pig comes to the rescue to provide a sailing camp of his very own for Little Pig. Through trial and error the pair make sailing together a breeze! Great story for the youngest ones to understand that they too can succeed.
Reviewer 15.
Nicola
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Miss 3 and I like to explore different books at the library and try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.

Little Pig Saves the Ship by David Hyde Costello is a nice picture book - probably good for younger siblings that sometimes feel left out! Miss 3 enjoyed watching them sail the boat and seeing Little Pig rescue it.
Reader50
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Little Pig is unhappy, he's too young to attend camp with is brothers and sisters. As a consolation, his eldest brother leaves him with a piece of rope and a book of sailors' knots to practice while he's home. His grandpa takes him out to sale a toy ship and Little Pig has quite an adventure when a strong current sweeps his ship downstream and out of reach. This is a sweet story about being the youngest and having adventures that one can be proud to share with elders and siblings.
Ames Public Library Youth Services
This book reminded me, slightly, of one of my favorite childhood ones (Bailey Goes Camping). In both books, a younger sibling is left behind while the older kids in the family head off to camp. Little Pig focuses on sailing rather than camping, however. He and his grandpa make and sail a ship in the stream...but what happens when it gets away from them one day?!

Great illustrations and a nice storyline that shows that no matter your size, you can still be the hero!

-dmz
Diane
While all his older siblings go off to sailing camp, Little Pig stays home because he's too little. His brother gives him a piece of rope and his book of sailor's knots. He spends his first day practicing those knots. But then the next day, Poppy comes over with the little ship that he has been making for Little Pig. Together they spend the rest of the week sailing the ship and enjoying their time together.
Anne
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet *and* adventurous. It also includes instructions on how to tie a bowline knot.

p.s. I'm so clueless that I thought, "aw, the grandpas from both sides of the family get along so well," before I saw the other reviews that congratulate the author on the subtle inclusion of a same sex couple. Love it.
Marcia
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Little Pig is disappointed he can't go to sailing camp but he stays home and teaches himself to tie knots when he builds a toy ship with his Poppy, his newfound skills come in handy. Very cute illustrations. The worry wart parent in me cringes in the scenes of running on slippery rocks in the stream but I need to remember it's only a picture book!
Danielle
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful story about Little Pig wanting to go to sailing camp, but can't because he's still too little. Great story for those looking for an adorable read for a youngster with older siblings, or for someone looking for a cute story including a grandparents. Loved the adorable and subtle details like the waterfall net at the end.
Barbara
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Little Pig is left alone as his siblings go off to sailing camp. He has a lot of free time and practices tying knots with a rope his brother gave him. His Grandfather helps him build a little ship to sail in the stream and when the boat gets away from them, Little Pig saves the day by lassoing the boat with his rope. All's well that ends well. For ages 3-5.
Juliana Lee
Little Pig is too young to go to sailing camp with his brothers and sisters. But Grandpa and Poppy come to spend the week with him and teach Little Pig how to sail using a toy boat. Little Pig saves the toy boat when it sails far away from shore and earns the respect of his brothers and sisters.
Mary
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Little Pig learns some pretty ingenious sailing skills when he spends the day with his grandpa. He even uses them to rescue the toy ship that they build together. Speech bubbles help to add to the fun.
Erin
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Am I missing something here? I didn't find this book exceptional, or even great. Why was this a CCBC book?
Jesse
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was sweet! I loved Little Pig's adventures with his grandfather(s?), but found the speech bubbles distracting.
Lynn
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Unique story, but what I like best is how Costello made the 'pigs' look human - especially the grandfather. I kept forgetting he was a pig!
Stacy
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story and I like how it demonstrated how to tie the knot. Gave it an extra star for subtle same sex grandpas. I like how the author wasn't in your face about it.
Kelly
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
While Little Pig's brothers and sisters go off to sailing camp, he is stuck home alone. But his Poppy spends time with him building his very own sailboat. It's a very nice story.
Lynn
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very sweet story for young readers who are also "too little" to do something their older siblings can.

Charming illustrations and simple story are just right.
Kelly
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Loved this story and the illustrations. It was just so cute and sweet. Great for a family read and includes all members of the family, too!