Start by marking “A Hall of Keys and No Doors” as Want to Read:
A Hall of Keys and No Doors

A Hall of Keys and No Doors

Ella Keyes thought the death of her twin brother Stuart was the last time she'd let life surprise her. She's up for tenure at her university, she escaped a doomed engagement, and her fluffy cat knows exactly when to expect her home every day. But when her grandmother passes and leaves Ella her house, Ella discovers that the third floor corridor of keys is more than just a ...more
Published September 6th 2016 (first published September 2nd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Hall of Keys and No Doors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hall of Keys and No Doors

Start your review of A Hall of Keys and No Doors
lov2laf
I felt I was the wrong reader for this book. I started reading it in October 2018 and, in the last day or two, skimmed through the last half to finish it. Normally I'd give a story that was close to a DNF no rating or a low rating but this was actually well-written and thought out. I didn't hate it. I just couldn't get into it.

I've read eight other books by Emmie Mears so this one was more of a fluke.

The book has some strong elements. It primarily deals with grief and the loss of the life you
T
I loved the mysterious keys plot and supernatural aspect of this book. i found though, that the mc's romantic relationship story line bored me. More time could have been spent on her family's and the house's history.
kudos to the author for writing another bisexual heroine, and best friend who are a lesbian couple.
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
How I read this: Free ebook copy received through NetGalley

Do you know how sometimes you'll finish the last sentence of a book and think, "This was magic. Pure magic"? This is what happened to me with this book. Although slow to start – what a satisfying book and what a strong ending. Really left my heart full. Read the full review here.

A Hall of Keys and No Doors is a poignant story about letting go, forgiving yourself and learning to live with loss and grief. With quite a healthy dose of
Hayley Stone
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
"You're not broken," he said. "Hurt and broken are two different things."

A Hall of Keys and No Doors is an introspective novel about death, survival, and love. If you're looking for a pulse-pounding fantasy adventure, this isn't that kind of story. Instead, it utilizes an interesting premise (woman inherits a house with magical keys that can alter reality, introducing fortune and misfortune in equal measure) to tell a very human story about the struggle to move forward after tragedy.

This book is
Agentrusco
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
This book is amazing. Loss and grief has been much in the forefront this year and this book addressed them in such a wonderful way. All of the characters had great depth. Events happened in a very real, human way (I mean, besides the magical stuff...) And, as ever, I appreciate not only the inclusion of LGBTQ+ characters, but the lack of their demise.

I have ever been a fan of Emmie Mears, and I dare say their books keep getting better and better. I cannot wait for further works by this talented
Kym
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ella Keyes is a college professor who inherits her Grammy Helen's house. The house has a long hallway without doors, but hundreds of keys hanging from nails. The keys are magic, and even though Ella doesn't believe, she notices that things happen when she touches one. Ella doesn't want the house because she's quite content living in her modern rented condo with her cat and frog, but things happen and she has to keep the house. She is whiny about it. She is whiny about everything because she ...more
Het boekenrijk
‘A Hall of Keys and no Doors’ by Emmie Mears tells the story of Ella, a young woman who lost her twin brother 3 years ago and now also loses her beloved grandmother. Unexpectedly she inherits her grandmother’s house where she spent many summers. On the top floor the house has a hallway with only keys (and no doors, hence the title). Ella never got to touch the keys when staying at her grannies. Gradually Ella discovers the secret of the keys.

This was an easy read, perfect to start my vacation
Barbara Rohde
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ella Keyes teaches at a university and is struggling with the death of her grandmother Helen who she is very close to. Some years earlier she had also lost her twin brother Stuart and still misses him everyday.
Surprisingly she finds her grandmother has left her the house which is an old rambling place with a collection of keys hanging on the wall on the third floor. Some are shiny and polished, some are knobbly, tarnished and weird looking.
It's when Ella moves into the house that she discovers
Emma
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
"If there's anything I've learned from a lifetime of fantasy novels, it's that magic's more likely to bite you in the ass than not."

I love 'found family' stories, and this one didn't disappoint. It's a gentle, quiet story about loss and grief and moving forward, and it's a powerful story about both family bonds and friend bonds, and how the family you make matters more than the family you're born with. The LGBT+ elements are wonderfully done, feeling powerful and real throughout, and I really
Susanne
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Thank you to BHC Press and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this gentle, quiet story about grief and loss, and how family and friend relationships can help and hurt. The heroine's character and arc were wonderful and relatable, and I felt the author did a great job of drawing you into a world where inexplicable things happened. Highly recommended!
Annie
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
When Ella's grandmother dies, she inherits the grandmother's house. The third story of the house is just a long hallway with keys hanging on the walls, no doors. Ella always thought it was a sort of play on their name, Keyes, but every time she touches one of the keys, something changes in her life, for good or bad, from lost jobs to found kittens. I enjoyed this. 4 stars.
Ali
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017

I appreciated how this novel explores grief and loss, and it's refreshing to have queer main characters, including an openly bisexual heroine.

I love the sound of Amber Benson's voice, but quite a few of the voices in the audiobook were very annoying to listen to.
Paul
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has interesting and unique characters and is an easy read. I chose this for the story, etc., not the LGBTQ aspects, and it worked for me. I don't read a lot of fantasy, but enjoyed this one.

Thanks very much for the ARC for review!!
Shelley-Ann
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Couldn’t get into it didn’t finish.
Karen
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really love the characters, relationship, & atmosphere of this book. There were a few parts that felt like wishful thinking or were a bit confusing to me, but in the end I feel like most of it made sense. Wonderful book.
Mrs Daryl Duncan-English
A Hall of Keys and No Doors a story of love, loss, rejection and friendships. Ella has already faced the loss of her twin brother and now has to face the loss of Grammy Helen. Ella's life changes when she inherits her Grammy's house, a magical place with secrets just waiting for Ella to uncover.
I could not put this book down. Emmie Mears has a wonderful ability to draw you into their world and hold you there.
The book explores the pain of loss and rejection and how true friendships can conquer
Rebecca
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this beautiful tear-jerker of a book. Ella was flawed and relateable, with a wonderful character arc. All of the side-characters were wonderfully realized, and I especially loved her bizarre Aunt. The budding romance had me swooning. And the keys had just the right touch of magical realism for this mostly contemporary story. I also loved the narrator, and can definitely see myself listening to this again.
Caitlin Greer
Nov 21, 2016
Jim Sanders
Nov 11, 2016

• Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • The Silent House
  • The Accident
  • Maybe the Horse Will Talk
  • The Good Turn (Cormac Reilly, #3)
  • After the Flood
  • Scarlet Traces: A War of the Worlds Anthology
  • Junko Tabei Masters the Mountains
  • The Subjects
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • Born Slippy
  • The Outcast Girls
  • The Right Place
  • The Stranger's Wife
  • The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
  • Randal the Elephant
  • Recipe for a Perfect Wife
Emmie Mears writes the books they always needed to read about characters they wish they could be. Emmie is multilingual, autistic, agender, and a bad pescetarian.

Emmie makes their home with two cats in Glasgow, Scotland and hopes to keep it that way.

Emmie is represented by Sara Megibow of kt literary.