Start by marking “Lost in the Echo” as Want to Read:
Lost in the Echo

Lost in the Echo

Novella (26,000 words)
Genres: Gay, M/M, Suspense, Erotica, Romance, Contemporary

Three days. Three questions. Three answers.

Kidnapped, blindfolded, and bound to a bed, running away isn't an option any more for Will Chambers. Despite being a linguistic tutor and having every conversational tool at his disposal, all Will wanted to do was fade into the background, become lost
Published August 23rd 2016 by Fantastic Fiction Publishing (first published June 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Lost in the Echo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost in the Echo

Start your review of Lost in the Echo
Baba
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

photo oie_7xumPtF6k6xy_zpsrtp8xux3.png

I beta read the extended, edited novella. Please note: I never read the original version.

It's always a pleasure working and chatting with you, Jack. Thanks! Looking forward to beta reading your next book. Just holler whenever you're ready. *waves* :)
Jan
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, dark, mindfuck

****4.5 Stars****

I don’t have much to say except that this is not your typical romance.
But then, none of the other books I’ve read from this author were, yet I loved them all.
It’s a mindfuck story and carries a mean punch
The kind of story that leaves me staring at nothing in the end, with a stupid face, wondering... how some people are born with not a single ounce of imagination *like me* and others are blessed with an unlimited capacity to put not only words together but create the unthinkab
True Loveislovereview
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, lgbtq
5+++ I'm floored. THIS was a mind-blowing story. So exceptional, so dedicated so, so, I’m speechless.

Amazing concatenation of words. Beautiful.

It has an amazingly intriguing captivatingly build-up.
Confusing. What and why is this happening?

Bit by bit the curtains of the mystery slide open and OMG, there is so much to see. It was devastating.
Those beautiful men, it was heartbreaking, it was devastating. I cried out loud
I felt to my knees and cried. Will, James, Elliot, and Ryan. Fathers, sons, fri
Rach
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kink, m-m, have-to-read

This story, I will be honest wasn't what I was expecting after reading the blurb. The warnings made me want to read it especially reading the word

I will admit to wanting something darker from this book and I went in with the wrong ideas which could explain my lower rating- Sorry Jack :(

Very touching end to the story though :)
Jaime
Jack L. Pyke has a way with writing, she uses a dark and erotic - maybe slightly (probably more than slightly) deranged way of thinking that takes the reader on a ride and leaves them breathless at the end! All of her stories have kept me totally enthralled..you know the type of book where you hide away flipping the pages as fast as you can and avoiding everything else until you get to that last word..yes! That is what you experience when you read a book by Jack L. Pyke.

Lost in the Echo is a dif
Joseph Tonlet
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Effin' brilliant as always. There are so few authors where I KNOW I'm going to, without question, love their work. Jack is at the top of that list - the VERY top! This was no exception! Amazing writing, a great story, pain/sorrow/joy I could feel as if I were right there in the story myself...it doesn't get better.

Thanks, Jack, for another great read!

JLT =)
Jaime

Lost in the Echo is a d
Debra
Release day review and e-book giveaway to come at .

This story revolves around a set of events that is a mystery to the reader. In typical Jack L. Pyke style, I felt a bit lost at the start, like I was thrust into the middle of something, experiencing it from the character’s mindset, but all is revealed in time. It is obvious from the beginning that there is a sadness around Will. There is discord, anger and someone missing from his life (lover, ex, friend?) and all of it is weighing heavily on W
Katerina
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Donna, Claire
Shelves: arc
A wonderful complex story about deep love, loss and fear, about turning away from life and well-kept secrets. Secrets that destroyed the most valuable ... And only the revelation of these secrets allowed at the end a kind of new beginning ...

The one is gone forever.

The other has lost everything.

A doorstep that symbolizes so much more.

Snips and bits in Will's life trying to explain what's happened.

So young. So innocent. So lost. He was taken everything. But he has the power and the wisdom to sav
Ula'ndi Hart
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-reads, lgbtq, dark
Overall book rating: 4.25
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 2

There really is nothing more to say other than – I now need a stiff drink, and I absolutely love the way this author’s mind works. Brilliant
Vivian
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well that's like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!

Holy Crackers. Intense. Frickin' emotional guerrilla warfare. Started down one road, then listed to the side and..WHAM! Totally slammed as the story shifted with the lines I read. Part of me wants to kill the characters in this book, part of me just wants to curl up and cry, and the other part's like...yeah, that's cool.

A few places I got briefly twisted around as I thought I knew where I was going--wrong. Sorted myself out quick enough, but there was a wee
BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I'm mixed in this one. There is something about Ms. Pyke's writing style which is convoluted. It's messy and almost as if she keeps 1/2 the story in her head and only shares partial. I always feel like I'm looking through a very cloudy glass and seeing only part of it.

This story is pretty hot from a kidnapping point of view. The twist is classic Ms. Pyke. It's enjoyable and yet twisting. The turmoil between Will and Elliot is pretty intense. It's also jarring. It also feels unfulfilled. It is a
Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books
I Love Jack, that being said I might try to read this again when im not at work so I can try to focus more. I felt all over the place couldn't really connect to the characters. And at times felt kind of lost in the sotry and not in a good way. Just literally lost and confused. I'm going 2.5 stars for now will see if that can change after a re read. ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I really liked this story. There was a slow-moving part about midway through but other than that, the pacing was nice. The situation was painful and it hurt to read but it felt real. Will's grief was palpable and understandable. On the one hand I didn't like how the whole thing was handled (I can't explain anything without giving it away) but on another, I can see it happening and maybe (view spoiler)

The story really resounded with me because it is
Jack Pyke
Jul 26, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Author Note: Extended Edition. Ebook only format.
Dreamer
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, violence, lgbtq, novella, dark
A deliberately cryptic novella, pleasingly dark. All becomes clear by the end.
Lily
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an extended edition of a short story first published for the Goodreads Love Has No Boundaries "Dear-Author" Challenge. I haven’t read the original version, so I can’t compare the two or say what has been added or improved on.

I particularly liked the wonderful writing style and use of language. Right from the start the author sets the tone well. I was enthralled by the sentence structure and use of imagery to reveal the different settings. Jack creates a suspenseful atmosphere, especially
Cat
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
***What a Mind Game!***

Jack L. Pyke is known for darkness, BDSM, and mind games, and Lost in the Echo is another amazing show of this exquisite talent! This book tosses you in the deep end from the very beginning. Told from a singular point of view, that of the kidnapped Will, you walk through his harrowing experience not knowing why he was taken until he himself reveals the experiences that led to this traumatic event.

We as readers are so accustomed to receiving the background of the characters
Phetra Novak
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review to come on GGR.
Chris
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well that was an intense read but I expect that from Pyke. This is a short story that is a three day reflection on a lifetime of pain, hurt and love. Let the pieces fall ❤️
Helena Stone
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is going to be one of those ‘o my God, I want to say all the things but I can’t give anything away’ sorta reviews. This story blew me away. It had me wondering and guessing what exactly was going on from the start and the answers and revelations were nothing short of stunning.

This is a story about grief and (not) dealing with it. It’s about a man, Will, who has shut himself down. He actively avoids feeling and dealing with what has happened and doesn’t realise—or refuses to see—that this ro
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, bgirls, mm

4.5 star review by The Blogger Girls.

Wow, this story really packs a punch. I was pretty darn confused in the beginning, but I just kept telling myself to relax, this is Jack, there is always a method to her madness. And thank goodness I listened to myself, because when it all plays out, it is totally worth it.

At first glance, this is a pretty complex story, but on the other hand, it is a tragically sad, yet beautiful story of love. Love for a son, love for a partner, and what happens when those
Sunne
This one was strange. I was curious, wanted to know, was glued to the pages (of my kindle) and enthralled.....and then I felt let down.

There was a great built up. Secrets, tension, events unkown to the reader, someone mourned but who? And why? I wanted to know.
And then piece by piece I learned what had happened. And that was the moment the story went south for me personally. I didn't get the conflict that had led to the nightmarish situation in the first place. What was the problem? I still don'
Kimmers of Kimmers' Erotic Book Banter
Teaser
Lost in the Echo is a shining example of how powerful a punch an artist can put into so few pages. Jack L. Pyke gives you well rounded characters, a carefully crafted backstory and an engaging plot that has you guessing up to that pivotal moment, and then spinning at its revelation, while hoping right up to the end. It is one of those stories which will leave you wanting to immediately read it again once you know the answers and all the characters, just so you can immerse yourself in their
Kristie
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fucking hell. This is a fantastic, unbelievably wonderful, completely beautiful and heart wrenching story. Jack, my dear, you are so incredibly amazing with words. What I just read was so great, I can scarcely believe it. The emotions I'm feeling right now... my God, I need a drink. Thank you, Jack. Thank you so very much. Just... WOW. ...more
Kazza
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a decent novella. It isn't as dark or as brooding as I would have liked, but it's still quite melancholy.

The main characters just didn't grab me like I wanted them to. I liked Ryan the most. From the extra author info at the back he was injected into this version more. His story adds pathos to the overall tale, but he's a secondary character. I couldn't imagine this novella without Ryan involved like he was. He's actually a scene stealer.

I'm not a fan of a (more than a few) incomplete
Steelwhisper
I loved this prompt and photo because it was so close to my own, and I had hopes for another dark or deeply psychological story.

Alas, no. "Lost in the Echo" is a soap opera instead, one suffering badly from ADHD. It's all over the place, insofar it's really lost. I soon wondered what wouldn't be dragged into it at some point: foster kids, dead kids, envious colleagues, nasty bosses, interested neighbours, kidnapping, a trope I'm horrified that it made it into m/m from m/f at all ("if you enjoy i
Joan
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh this was wonderful! I read through, and then re-read because it is pretty clear that this is a multi-layered story with hidden depths.
I loved William, his reticence and repressed behaviour, hiding such an ache of loss behind his silence. Jack really brought him to life in this story! The flashbacks, particularly the scene in the showroom, were great, although I would have liked more room given to all the other characters. (view spoiler)
Silkeeeeeereads
I saw that Jack Pyke had posted her No Boundaries story and went in search of it. I mean - it's Jack Pyke, why wouldn't I? She's just up there with my favorite authors.

Even though this was a short story she still managed to make the story suspenseful, sad, and then sweet and uplifting at the end. In other words, it was a EXCELLENT.

Highly Recommended! Why? IT'S JACK PYKE!
Seiran
This story was not for me, it was all over the place and I felt nothing for the characters. I could never get invested into once certain character because there was never any time to completely know or understand who the character is or their thoughts.

Also if someone did anything remotely close to what elliot did, I would rip his fucking balls off, and send his ass to jail, just sayin'.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Risk Takers (Off Limits #0.5)
  • Rule Breakers (Off Limits, #1)
  • Love Me Whole
  • Auctioned (Auctioned, #1)
  • Falling Down
  • Quillon's Covert
  • Where Foxes Hunt with Wolves (Folk Lore, #2)
  • Kidnapped by the Pirate
  • Call the Coroner (Staniel, #1)
  • Dig Your Grave (Staniel, #2)
  • Liars (Licking Thicket, #2)
  • After Felix (Close Proximity, #3)
  • Aftermath (Spires, #1.5)
  • Making Faces
  • Tic-Tac-Mistletoe
  • Shattered Glass (Shattered Glass, #1)
  • Tate (Temptation, #5)
  • Stay with Me (The PI Guys, #1)
Jack blames her dark writing influences on living close to one of England’s finest forests. Having grown up hearing a history of kidnappings, murders, strange sightings, and sexual exploits her neck of the woods is renowned for, Jack takes that into her writing, having also learned that human coping strategies for intense situations can sometimes make the best of people have disastrously bad momen ...more

News & Interviews