Start by marking “Drawn Away” as Want to Read:
Drawn Away

Drawn Away

3.22  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
One minute Jack's in math class. The next, he's on a dark, cobblestoned, empty street. Empty, that is, except for a skinny girl wrapped in a threadbare shawl. "Matches, mister?" she asks, and just like that, Jack's life collides with one of Hans Christian Andersen's grimmest tales. And just when he has almost convinced himself it was just a weird dream, it happens again.

Su
Published January 17th 2017 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Drawn Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawn Away

Ms. Jackson
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
The male protagonist, Jack, shows a lot of self-control in the book. He has Type 1 Diabetes, and he has to monitor his blood sugar and insulin quite a bit. His attention to this during the course of the storyline and how he works to maintain a healthy level demonstrates this strength.
Courtney Giraldo
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Drawn Away, was provided to me for free in exchange for an honest review from Librarything.

A senior in highschool, Jack and his family are new in town. While sitting in math class, Jack suddenly becomes transported to another time a place. To an antiquated town with a waif of a girl selling matches on the street corner. Although spooked at first by the realistic feeling of the encounter, Jack, a type one diabetic, shrugs off the strange occurrence as a low blood sugar episode and soon doesn't th
River
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you never read Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Match Girl, it goes something like this: A poor little girl out in the street attempts to sell matches out in the cold. Everyone ignores this child. She is freezing and eventually attempts to light the matches to keep herself warm. It does not work. She dies.
Okay there's a little more to it than that, but I'm trying to make a point here.
It's kind of a creepy story.

Holly Bennett imagines the fairy tale is based on a real little girl named Kla
Amber
*Please note: I received a ARC of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. This has not affected my opinion of the book in any way and what follows is my honest opinion of this story and the way it was written. Thanks!

I was very much looking forward to Drawn Away. It has a stunning cover and an interesting concept. Unfortunately, this book was not for me.

I found Klara, Jack, and Lucy all a bit flat as characters. They were written with variety and individual backgrounds and hobbies -
Briana
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This was okay. I’m a big fan of Hans Christian Anderson so when I saw that a lesser known story of his was turned into a retelling I had to try it. Unfortunately it fell a little flat. Jack and Lucy’s romance seemed a little boring and time passed weirdly in the book. I loved the perspective from the Match Girl, but thought everything about her backstory was drawn out and slightly unnecessary. Some parts overall were better than others but if you like fairy tail retellings I’d recommend it.
Becca Brown
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was great! It was a quick, easy read and I enjoyed it. The tie-ins from the past added to the story and were really what helped bring the story to life in a way that was interesting. The main story was sweet, but some parts of the book I had to reread because I had forgotten what happened or I had skimmed a bit cause some parts were a little slow. But overall I loved the characters and the story was really fun to read!
Cierra
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have to admit it--I first picked Drawn Away up because the cover typogrpahy is just so darn beautiful. I didn't know if I'd actually like the book. Guess I got lucky! The premise was interesting and the story kept me hooked through the end. A YA with likable characters, Drawn Away made me feel for all sides--not just the lead. Nice job, Holly Bennett! 4.5/5
Lexi
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really creepy story. Learned a lot of things I didn't know about the Canadian public high school system. Good readalike for Far Far Away.
Betty L.
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it! The ties to the "fairy tale" are well done; not just a modern rewrite.
Sherry Guice
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an Orca book that retells and weaves the story of "The Little Match Girl." The book is short and edgy enough to appeal to reluctant readers--even high school.
Gina
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
A very on the edge of your seat book. I love how the story of the Match Girl by Hans Christian Anderson is developed into the story. It is fast paced and very enjoyable. Good creepy book.
Misti
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Jack, a seventeen-year-old diabetic, has just moved to a new town, but apart from starting a new school and monitoring his condition, now he's also having weird visions of a Victorian waif, the Little Match Girl, who seems to want something from him. Jack and his new friend Lucy must discover why Jack is having these visions, and how to stop them before Jack is pulled into the Little Match Girl's world forever.

The plot was fairly good and the characters were interesting, but the writing was util
Katy
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I received an ARC of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Well, I kind of loved this book.
The story was a combination of good ol'fashion contemporary YA and the fairy tale, The Match Girl. I loved the way the author blended a touch of history into the modern part of the story. We learn a little backstory about the Match Girl from Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale.
The writing was simple, which I liked. Not every YA needs to read like a Diablo Cody screenplay. The story was un
Eliza Richter
Nov 15, 2017
Olivia
rated it did not like it
Mar 10, 2017
Emily
Jan 22, 2018
WCPL Teens
Feb 05, 2018
I was born and grew up in Montreal before moving with my family to Markham, Ontario as part of the “great Anglo exodus,” that strange era when head offices were moving out of Quebec in a panic to avoid having to do anything in French. I finished high school in Ontario and went on to study English and Native Studies at Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario. I wasn’t done with Quebec though, goi ...more
More about Holly Bennett

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)