Start by marking “Wonder Woman, Volume 1: The Lies” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman, Volume 1: The Lies

Wonder Woman, Volume 1: The Lies (Wonder Woman (2016) #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  4,600 Ratings  ·  494 Reviews
A part of DC Universe: Rebirth!

New York Times best-selling writer Greg Rucka returns to Wonder Woman! After suffering an unimaginable loss, Diana must rebuild her mission as Earth's ultimate protector and champion. However, in the midst of her grief, her Lasso of Truth stopped working! Start down the rabbit hole as dark secrets from Wonder Woman's past unravel her present!
Paperback, Trade, 128 pages
Published February 28th 2017 by DC Comics (first published February 17th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman, Volume 1

Anne
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonder Woman!
Rebirthed...again?

description

Ok, this opens with the Rebirth issue that I've already reviewed. In a nutshell, Wonder Woman realizes something is wrong with her memory and starts to remember her different origin stories - ties in with the Rebirth/Smiley Face Button thing...'nuff said.

description

As far as the art goes, it sloshed around quite a bit between very good, somewhat passable, and downright ugly. In some panels, it looked like WW had been hit in the face with a shovel...hard.

As far as the story go
Michael Finocchiaro
Awesome graphics. Cool Rebirth story with Cheetah and both humans, Olympians and bad guys. I enjoyed these episodes - looking forward to see where they take this new character arc!
Sean Gibson
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I’m given to understand that it’s fair game to wonder what’s in a Wonder Ball, but is it acceptable to wonder what’s in a Wonder Woman?

I have no idea, but I suppose that’s neither here nor there.

I’ve read many a comic with Wonder Woman in it, but this is, perhaps somewhat surprisingly, my first foray into a full arc of a WW solo book. It was…well, it wasn’t wondrous. More like Perfectly Adequate Woman.

But, I suspect that’s more a reflection of the initial line of Rebirth books generally than t
Sam Quixote
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Wonder Woman thinks someone’s fucking with her - “The story keeps changing” she chants, over and over, probably a meta reference to how her origins have changed over the years with different writers. She asks her arch-enemy Cheetah to help her figure out what’s happening, but first she must defeat an evil Swamp Thing-esque monster in Africa and get it on with Steve Trevor!

So Wonder Woman’s still a steaming pile! I never read Greg Rucka’s previous Wonder Woman run but I’m guessing some readers l
Erica
Note to self: You still don't like anybody else's Wonder Woman stories. Stop sampling the wares. It only makes you angry.

Yeah, yeah, I tricked myself into reading this because I was so enamored with The Legend of Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Origins and I thought maybe, just maybe, all the writers were aligning with that story even though I saw the "DC Universe Rebirth" written across the cover of this one and I knew that couldn't be anything good.

And it's not.

We're back to Wonder Woman for guys with th
Richard
I'm here to admit I was wrong. When I first read this book, everything seemed silly, over-wrought, and convoluted. But now that I've re-read it after not only learning more about Wonder Woman, but also reading the second volume Wonder Woman, Volume 2: Year One, enjoying it, and realizing that it must be read in tandem with this one, I've come to appreciate this effort a bit more! Now, while I do feel like it's still a little too much for a novice Wonder Woman reader, I can see what Rucka has bee ...more
Artemy
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, dc
So yeah, after reading Year One and re-reading this volume, I am bumping my rating up to three solid stars. Still not exactly excellent, but a much better read when you have the context of Year One. And hey, Cheetah was in this volume, too! I totally forgot about that. I kinda get the feeling that it's also going to be an even better read after Volume 4, which is supposed to have even more backstory and context for the events of this book, but we'll see about that.

My original review, 2 stars:

For
Steve
I received this from Edelweiss and DC Comics in exchange for an honest review. EDIT: I also received a copy from Netgalley.

Not bad, not good, just sort of middle of the road. Artwork was okay. The biggest issue I have with this volume is that it feels incomplete. There is simply no resolution to the main plot. The subplot with Cheetah was good, and it pushed the story forward, but again, there was no answer to "The Lies" tormenting Wonder Woman.
Rory Wilding
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
When DC relaunched their whole line-up last year with Rebirth, it was clearly a response to the fans’ negativity towards The New 52, a five-year-long reboot that removed the decades of continuity of which many adored. Taking note from Geoff Johns when he penned DC Universe: Rebirth #1, Greg Rucka – who wrote a run of the character during the early noughties – revisits Wonder Woman by acknowledging the different interpretations of her origin and stating that all that was a lie.

As with many of DC
Chelsea
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This was just okay. I really wanted to like this more.

Rucka is jumping through hoops to fix the fucked up history Diana was given in New 52 Wonder Woman. When Azzarello decided to get rid of the "made of clay" origin and shove more of the gods in, a lot of people were pissed. He took an inherently feminist origin and made it about Hippolyta getting in on with Olympus' most famous man whore (and rapist depending on your mythos). I enjoyed some of that run but I get why Rucka would want to return
James DeSantis
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Re-review:

So I read these as single issues. Not knowing the graphic novels would be skipping every other issue. So this is just current time WW. Which still ain't bad but not a 4 star. Close to a 3, maybe 3.5 by the end. I still enjoyed the end result of current time WW. Especially the final two issues. We get some answers on Steve X Diana, and also the final moment in the last issue is like "Oh shit" moment we've been waiting for.

I'ma keep what I said below but I'm about to do my review of Ye
Sesana
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
I wanted to LOVE this book. I love Wonder Woman, haven't liked the last two writers on the book, and really enjoyed Rucka's previous run on the title. That I only liked it, and really liked some parts, is kind of disappointing. I like that Rucka seems to be playing with sweeping away the (in my opinion) entirely unnecessary changes that were made by previous writers, and I still really like the way he writes Diana herself. But this first story was merely ok, and felt oddly rushed. There's a real ...more
Robert
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Men and Women Still Wondering What Happened to Diana + Clark?
Shelves: dc-rebirth, dc, hoopla
I think the author undertook a thankless task here by outright embracing the endless confusion entailed by 75+ years of continuity, em, whatever DC calls it, but despite some gorgeous art in places it maddens rather than intrigues, and also (to my mind) undermines WW's greatest foe (Cheetah) as just another victim of male machinations as opposed to an evil entity in her own right. With this title now under my belt, too, I'm beginning to come around to the seeming consensus that Rebirth is a bust ...more
Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay)
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
More like a 3.5 star read, but I find myself up-rating simply because it seems headed in a direction I might come to eventually love (unlike the whole Olympian pantheon/God of War business circa New 52). I also seriously enjoyed that this one used Cheetah in such an unexpected way. However, as much as I've always loved the idea of Wonder Woman as a character, it will take something really special in terms of execution to get me completely invested. I haven't found that feeling in any of the olde ...more
Stephanie
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
D.C.: *hands me a bouquet of beautiful flowers with a written apology for everything they've done to me over the years*
Natalie
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics, dc-rebirth
Read as single issue comics. I'm enjoying the Wonder Woman title a lot but it suffers some from inconsistency in the art and the flip flopping between two separate stories format they've gone with.
C.T. Phipps
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, dc-rebirth
It's hard being a Wonder Woman fan. I'm a huge fan of both her and Supergirl but while the latter is having a Renaissance since her reintroduction into the DCU after decades of mishandling, Wonder Woman is in an odd space. Still, Gal Gadot's movie portrayal has given her prominence she's not had in decades. So, that has encouraged DC comics to try to undo the literal decades of bad handling which has caused her to be rebooted dozens of times.

The problem with Wonder Woman in comics is not the cha
Chandré Louw
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Diana , why are you keeping me up waaaay past my bed-time?
Loved this one.

But before I tell you how much I loved this comic , can I just address something.

Reading the DC Rebirth is quite confusing to me at this point as I have no prior knowledge or background on any of these characters. I'm just taking the stories as they are and hoping they grow over time and I get to experience a bit more of the characters history and origin.
(It's not like they don't touch the subject , but it is very vague
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This was a very good rebirth/reboot of Wonder Woman. It introduces a character who I would consider Wonder Woman's arch-nemesis, although their relationship is very complicated, Cheetah aka Barbara Minerva. Also, Steve Trevor plays a big role.

I loved the artwork. While nice, the cover art doesn't live up to the wonderful illustration inside the book.

Greg Rucka is an excellent writer, and his skills are beautifully displayed in this volume. His understanding of what makes the characters tick is e
Shelly
Apr 05, 2017 added it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I really loved this one, I'm really looking forward to the next volume!
Nicole
First read: August '17; re-read Jan '18 to refresh my memory about the complicated plot before continuing with Vol. 3. (Vol. 2 was mostly flashback to origin story.)
The art is a good overall. Although sometimes there’s too much emphasis on the “rugged” in “ruggedly handsome,” and sometimes I found the amount of detail a bit overwhelming. It can be hard to focus when there’s a lot going on in a scene.
I've seen some reviews that complain about the art in different ways, and it's true that the art
Chris Lemmerman
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it

When people talk about the best Wonder Woman writers, Greg Rucka is most likely to be in the top three, at the very least. So it's no wonder DC tapped him to return to Diana's character for Rebirth, because he gets her like almost nobody else does.

This volume collects issues 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11, because the even issues are a different story. This is Rucka's way of approaching the Rebirth double shipping status quo, so this probably reads a lot more cohesively like this than it did in single is
Mel
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Greg Rucka has become my favourite Wonder Woman writer. I started reading this when the single issues came out and was enjoying it but then decided to wait until the graphic novel was released so I could read the big story all in one go and I'm glad I did. Here we had a Wonder Woman who was confused by alternate realities of what may or may not have happened. (Which seemed a perfect way to launch a "rebirth" series. There were great women characters, Steve Trevor and the other men were more in t ...more
LibraryLass
4.5 stars. Great storyline, fantastic artwork.
Jeannette Nikolova
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

So... this was kind of mediocre. I had high hopes because I've started liking Wonder Woman a lot lately, but this comic book was nothing special at all, to be honest.

First of all, I think that there was an over-saturation of Wonder Woman this year, because this is the second of three things about her that came out that I personally know of, the movie, this comic book, and the Leigh Bardugo novel from the DC Icons series.

And what I don't like about this
Jen
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
If I could give half stars this would be 3.5. I am really confused why DC only put every other issue from this run in here? (It looks like 3,5,7, etc. . . . where are the others?? I haven't read the single issues so I don't understand what it is I am missing!). I also have the B&N special edition, but nothing anywhere tells me what exactly is 'special' about it. More variant covers in the back? Maybe. Who knows, it doesn't say.

The story is good but basically nothing is resolved.
Scott
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I was a little confused about a third or so of the time - I appreciate now seeing other reviewers mentioned that only certain issues were included in this edition - with some characters (Sasha? Dr. Cale?), etc. as I figured anything subtitled 'Volume 1' would be a good point of entry. That said, this was interesting enough and the cliff-hanger ending makes the reading of 'Volume 2' inevitable.
Carly
Personally, this volume wasn't a particularly strong start to the series. The story alludes to Diana experiencing false memories here and there, thus explaining the title of the volume The Lies.I would've liked to delve into that aspect of the story more, but am guessing it will be continued in further volumes. The story, for the most part, was okay. I wasn't really hooked and can't remember much of what happened. Had it not been for the revelation at the end, I don't know if I'd continue with t ...more
Alessandra JJ
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Como eu estava com sdds de ler um quadrinho bom pra caralho ❤❤❤ queria que todas as história da WW fossem bem escritas assim :~ ...more
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka

Wonder Woman (2016) (7 books)
  • Wonder Woman, Volume 2: Year One