Start by marking “Counting Daisies (Counting #1)” as Want to Read:
Counting Daisies (Counting #1)

Counting Daisies (Counting #1)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  1,174 Ratings  ·  273 Reviews
Dylan Roberts and Cameron O’Neil were good kids. Growing up together, they shared everything. By the age of fourteen they were more than best friends – they were in love. They dreamt of their future, of success, marriage…happiness. They were going to grow old by each other’s side.

But… “Kids are stupid.”

When tragic circumstances forced them apart, Dylan discovered that life
Published July 24th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Counting Daisies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counting Daisies

☆ Todd
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Jesus, that was heart-wrenching.

And painful.

And exhausting.

And utterly beautiful.

I have the fortitude for a drug addiction and loss story like Dylan and Cameron's maybe once a year. Any more than that and I'm be reaching for the liquor and anti-depressants.

But whenever I do summon the courage to read one of these stories, and mentally recover from them afterwards, I'm usually glad at having read it.

"Counting Daisies" was an amazing story of love, loss, reconnecting, getting better, then get
Nazanin
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, m-m-romance
4.5 Daisies stars

Dylan and Cameron had been friends since primary school. They loved each other from that time. Daylan’s father was killed in a car accident and her mother died when she gave birth to him. He lived with his grandmother until she died too when he was fourteen. So he was put in the care system and they lost each other.

"I didn’t even get to say goodbye to Cameron before my entire life turned to sh!t."

Sixteen years later, they found each other again. Cameron is a chef in his own rest
Wendy
 photo tumblr_lseeoetYtE1qbw3a4o1_250_zps83edwo51.gif

This was a very well written book about the struggle with drug addiction. Eventhough the subject matter was very serious, it was really good read for me.

Dylan and Cameron were the best of friends, untill they turned 14. Then, they found out, that their feelings went beyond friendship and they became even more...

Dylan has never had it real easy. His mom died in childbirth and his father died in a car accident, when he was 13 years old. This only left his grandmother who took him and cared for hi
Jewel
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Counting Daisies was the first book by this author I have read. It's been on my Kindle since last summer and it's been showing up in my feed again, recently, so I decided I had waited long enough. It was an intense read and I loved it.

Do heed the warning, though, because there are graphic depictions of heroin use and withdrawal, as well as a thorough tour of an addict's mind and it isn't pretty. I am glad that Nicola Haken didn't gloss over it, though, because the story would have lost some very
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This story wrecked me. Drug addiction is brutal. I've seen it turn people into thiefs and liars. It's ruthless and fierce, and leaves only ashes in its wake.

Dyl and Cam are amazing together. Theirs is a forever kind of love. I could barely watch Dylan in the throes of addiction. He tries so hard, but he's not in charge; heroin is. Cameron wants to save Dylan, but only Dylan can do that.

Haken's books pack an emotional punch. They break and heal. She writes angst, yes, but there is always sunshin
Kaje Harper
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, intense, m-m
4.5 stars. Dylan and Cam grew up together, came out to each other, fell a little in love too young to do much about it, shared hopes and dreams. But Dylan's mum died at his birth, his father before he was into his teens, and his grandmother when he was fourteen. Suddenly he had no family left, and everything changed.

From Cam's point of view, his best friend and boyhood crush vanished into the foster care system, unfindable, unreachable, as Cam went on with his life and his own warm family and h
Elsa Bravante
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No puedo darle menos de cinco estrellas a un libro que me ha tenido con el corazón en un puño y la lagrima asomando, o directamente cayendo, desde la primera página hasta la última.

Cam y Dylan se conocen desde niños, se enamoran y por circunstancias deben separar sus caminos. Cuando se vuelven a encontrar Dylan tiene serios problemas de adicción mientras que Cameron está en ese lugar en la vida en el que siempre quiso estar. No vemos cómo se enamoran dos personas, ni siquiera creo que sea una hi
Jaime

“Count the daisies, Dylan. Turn those bad thoughts into something beautiful. By the time you have a pretty little bunch in your hands, it will all be over.”

When I went into this book, I really should have known Nicola Haken would have be bawling within the first 10% of the book, it is a gift of hers and I know she will never let me down! Alas, I wasn't prepared, and she ripped my heart out - let me tell you it took me weeks to write this review. I feel like nothing I say will do the book, the ch
Dia
4,5 stars

This was one of the most soul wrecking stories I have ever read. But the writing was great and the ending was full of hope. This author does a great job in describing broken characters.

Full review to come.
Ariana
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: made-me-cry
*5 sparkly stars*

Darn. Nicola Haken did it again. She turned me inside-out, and yes, I’ll admit it, into a sobbing mess for the latter part of the book. And this is NOT because that part is so sad, but because it made me so blooming happy.

This is by no means an easy book to read because Nicola Haken deals with a very difficult subject here. Dylan is a drug addict, you see.

Please be sure you know - there's no sugar coating about what’s going on, no magical cures. We get to see addiction at its w
Chris
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful story of friendship, loyalty and love. Dylan was taken away from all he had known in his life after his grandmother died when he was 14. Despite the loss of his family - the greatest loss was of his best friend Cam. As Dylan moved through the system and was then spat out with nothing to aspire to, he found drugs and prostitution as his only way forward. At an all time low, 16 years later, Dylan finds Cam and their lives are forever changed. They are still the boys who loved ...more
Amanda
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley, m-m
This is the third book I've read by Nicola Haken, and every time she manage to surprise me and make me cry. She tends to touch on some very sensitive subject and seems to really know what she is writing about. I assume she did her research extensively because her knowledge into the subject matters are really detailed. So far, I've read about her story on HIV, mental illness and now drug addiction. I wonder what will come next.

In Counting Daisies, we have a story about two teenage best friend, Dy
.Lili.
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, aug-16

photo image.jpg2_zpsnbad2vrk.jpg

Counting Daisies by Nicola Haken is a beautiful second chance romance of two best friends. After unfortunate circumstances, Dylan was taken away by Social Services at the age of 14. His life which had never been easy became even harder. Cameron never forgot his best friend and was happy when they reconnected 16 years later.

Although not an easy story to read due to Dylan's drug addiction it gave a realistic portrayal of what battling addiction is like and also what it's like loving an addict. T
Mirjam
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, dark, drama, abuse

If the addict in your life is pleased with your help, you’re probably enabling. If they’re annoyed, you’re probably helping the person you love more than they want to realise.

After reading Broken I very much wanted to read this one and was absolutely not
disappointed. Nicola Haken is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. She starts with describing loveable characters, destroys them and than slowly and realistically builds them back together.

Best buddies since childhood, Cameron & Dyla
Fabi
This is the story of life gone wrong for one young boy.

By the time he is fourteen years old, Dylan has lost his entire family. One by one, they're all gone and he's left alone. Finally torn away from even his one true friend, he is shuffled into the care system.

A long sixteen years go by before the two friends reconnect again. Cameron has made his dreams come true and is living the life of a successful chef. Dylan, however, has lost himself. He has escaped the pain of loss and life's hard hits b
Truuss
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 2016
5++ That is what I call a convincing drug addict story with all its ugliness. Oke it's a story and it works out good. In real life there are plenty who don't make it... but also who does make it.
And luckily this story is about that last. Dylan, my God Dylan with all his beautiful and different sides he is absolutely not heroine he is so much more. My heart hurts for him.
And Cameron, o my, he is a God send, a saint.
And then there is Paul, hooray for Paul, he is thorough, he records everything in
MaDoReader
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Este me ha gustado mucho, pero no sé porqué, no me ha encantado, y no tiene nada que ver con el libro: los personajes están muy bien retratados, las situaciones no son WTF constantes (dado el tema drogas podrían haber sido unos cuantos), hay sentimientos, hay crecimiento, hay miseria y dolor y todo eso está muy bien hecho y el estilo de escritura es directo sin florituras, ingredientes interesantes, ¿verdad? Pienso leer más de la autora, sin duda, a ver si en alguna otra de sus historias enganch ...more
Tjarde
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

Each one of those 376 pages has gotten deep under my skin. Besides Broken - also from Nicola Haken - this was my favorite read of 2016 so far! Highly recommended!
Jan
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ku
***2.5 Stars***
♆Hayley
So, I thought about how peaceful the moon looked tonight as I sparked the lighter under my spoon. I wondered what put the laughter in the voices I heard outside my window as I drew the heroin into the needle through a tiny ball of cotton. Then, as I pushed it into my vein, I allowed myself to remember all the people I'd lost in my life, let myself feel the intense pain those faces brought with them, safe in the knowledge that in just a few seconds it would all disappear.

When I read Broken I said
Katerina
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

If I could go back, I’d take it all away
Take away the pain of missing you each day
I’d tell you I was sorry, I’d tell you I’ll be good

Family.
Stability.
Happiness.
The point is life.

A great book. And I can not wait to read from Paul and Derek.
Hopefully soon.
Santy
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nobody does heart-wrenching quite like Nicola Harken.

This book was not pretty. It was real.

Prior to this ,I've never read a book on addiction before this one. Most especially one that felt so real and showed the actualities & realities inherent with the lifestyle.

This story showed how addicts aren't their own people and are always controlled by that overwhelming need to get high on their preferred drug. Life for them just flows from one hit to the other and they do absolutely anything to f
River
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I found this book by accident and I'm so happy I did.

I'm not always an objective reviewer, sometimes I hate a book because of a character or in this case, I love a book because it made me feel.

I liked both characters and their story. I felt like Cameron needed a little bit more work but he was a sweetheart so It didn't bother me.

I like how the Author touched the theme of drug addiction because Dylan didn't get magically cured because of love, Dylan fought and failed and fought again.
chandler ainsley ❁
description

wow me, this book just kept fucking me down!

like for real, i'm emotionally exhausted.

this was not what i'd call a romance, per say. it's really a story about a heroin addict and his struggle with getting clean. yes he has a childhood friend who he reconnects with and helps him getting sober. yes they fall in love, but the romance was seriously lacking for me!

there's a delicate balance to strike when writing characters that have known each other for a long time. you can do a cleverly placed flas
⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
4.2 Stars

Ow.

Real & painful story here and one of the best MMRomance books I've ever read in how accurately it portrays addiction. From the first use rush to the awful experiences of a self-detox and everything in between - it's honest and heart-breaking. Loved all of the side-characters as well; supportive but truthful.
Shile loves books
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was great. I cried, i smiled. Story was heart breaking. My heart broke for Cam and Dylan.
The dark reality of drug addiction and recovery was done so well and it was so real. I thought Broken broke me ..well i was wrong this made me cry so hard.
Jay
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016, mm-romance
3.5 stars – When the truck is parked and I’m at home, it’s not uncommon for me to read a complete romance novel within a single 24-hour period, but when I’m out on the road, it usually takes me three or four days to read one. So every now and then, I wonder whether I would have enjoyed a particular book more if I had been able to read it the way I can read at home instead of how I read it on the road. Counting Daisies, by Nicola Haken, is one such book. Note: before I start my review, I must men ...more
Caipi
A great, emotional book!
It's a heartbreaking story about loss, pain and the dark place of drug addiction.
Once you become an addict, you're one for life. The second you become hooked on your substance of choice, you're left with only three ways to describe yourself.
Using.
Recovering.
Dead.
There is no in-between. You can't ever go back to life before drugs.

But it's also the beautiful story of love, friendship, hope and success!

4,5 stars
Goodreads Librari...: Removing series title/link 3 16 Jul 09, 2018 12:46PM
Romance Author.

I live in not-so-sunny Rochdale, England (true northern girl!) with my five kids - one of whom many refer to as my husband. I write about life, and love, and all the beauty and angst that come with them.

All in all I'm just an ordinary gal with an addiction to reading, tattoos, and Pepsi Max. I don't like even numbers or metal spoons, and I'm allergic to exercise.

Please note: I do

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice