Start by marking “Batman: Detective Comics, Volume 1: Rise of the Batmen” as Want to Read:
Batman: Detective Comics, Volume 1: Rise of the Batmen

Batman: Detective Comics, Volume 1: Rise of the Batmen (Detective Comics, Volume III #1)

A part of DC Universe: Rebirth!

Detective Comics is back! Follow the adventures of Batman, the world's greatest...teacher?!

The Dark Knight and series co-star Batwoman team up to take new protégés Red Robin, Spoiler and the villainous Clayface under their leathery wings! The only problem is, neither new super-instructor knows exactly what they're in for as the attempt to t
Paperback, First, 128 pages
Expected publication: February 14th 2017 by DC Comics

Win a Copy of This Book

• Batman by James Tynion IV
    Batman: Detective Comics, Volume 1: Rise of the Batmen
    Release date: Feb 07, 2017
    An elite fighting force modeled after the Dark Knight has invaded the streets of Gotham. Their armor, weaponry and surveillance equipment are based on ...more

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 1051 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 24 - Feb 07, 2017

Countries available: US

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Roxanne
    Sep 15, 2016 Roxanne rated it it was ok
    Another double crossing plot device, ya don't say?

I'm done with the double crossing, enough! Seriously if you're reading any of these rebirth volumes and you see a family member or close friend show up, it's them, they did it! There's no mystery and it's now in every rebirth volume, what is going on?
    Overall i didn't like this one at all, thought the story was boring, the artwork is pretty good and it carries the story it's about the only decent thing about this volume. It ends on a cliffhanger
    Artemiy Nizovtsev
    Sep 14, 2016 Artemiy Nizovtsev rated it liked it
    Shelves: comics, dc
    Detective Comics is, so far, the only DC Rebirth title that I have more or less enjoyed. Which is pretty sad — all the other Rebirth stuff I tried (Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman) was garbage. Way to go, DC!

That is not to say that Detective is without its faults — there are plenty.

First and foremost, the plot is kinda ridiculous. Without spoiling anything, I will say that the motivation and the actions of the bad guys in this book are unbelievably stupid. I
    Ryan Stewart
    Sep 22, 2016 Ryan Stewart rated it really liked it
    I'm very surprised by this. A lot of people have been raving about how strong the start to Rebirth has been across DC and, I have to say, this was a really good example of it. Does it use a ton of plot devices we've seen over and over again? Yes. Does it always make sense? No. Is it a little ridiculous and sometimes obvious? Definitely. But this is FUN and that matters a lot when enjoying a book. This really does a quality job of focusing in on the Bat Family even more than the Dark Knight himse ...more
    Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
    James Tynion IV did a great job in making this Rebirth series worthwhile. While Rise of the Batmen wasn't the most brilliant and never-before-seen story, it still managed to deliver something that made some sense. Essentially, even if the storyarc regroups a gang together as a Batman Family, I felt like this was more of a Batwoman origin'esque story. The story explored her character a lot more, making sure to link to Batman, and gave her plenty of occasions to shine.

What Tynion does brilliantly
    Logan
    Sep 15, 2016 Logan rated it it was ok
    I'm not going to say much about this one it had a few good moments but other than it sucked! Its bascially just Batman & Robin Eternal meets Arkham Knight, how original! I'm not joking, the 'Batmen', are literally just clones of The Arkham Knight from a looks perspective!
    James DeSantis
    Jan 13, 2017 James DeSantis rated it really liked it
    This is the best Batman family title right now.

So Detective comics focuses on the Bat family. The highlights probably being Bat-women and Red Robin. Someone is hunting them, Batman included, and Bruce thinks it's time to create a team. A badass fighting team that includes himself, Red Robin, Batwomen, two old Batgirls (Spoiler/Orphan) and also our fave muddy face pal, clay face! It's a odd team of sorts but gives us some really entertaining dialog and fight scenes.

I also love the ending (Issue
    Jedi JC Daquis
    Oct 04, 2016 Jedi JC Daquis rated it liked it
    Rise of the Batman is definitely better than the first arc of DC Rebirth Batman (I Am Gotham). It is a fresh take on the series that seamlessly puts together a band of characters from the Batman mythos against a more technologically advanced army of "Batmen". It is part sleuthing, part drama and all action.

Yes it is good. But is it also groundbreaking? No. Will it be remembered? Hmmm for some elements of it, yeah for a while.

This first arc of Detective Comics (DetCom) kicks of the DC Rebirth era
    Kurt Lorenz
    Sep 17, 2016 Kurt Lorenz rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: comics, dc, rebirth
    I didn't have many expectations for this book; I really enjoyed some of James Tynion IV's previous Batman work, but others I found to be bland or disinteresting. This was a pleasant surprise that has definitely come out as my top DC Rebirth book.
    **Read monthly as single issues**
    Richard Guion
    Dec 31, 2016 Richard Guion rated it did not like it
    For decades, Detective Comics has been the companion Batman series to the main book. Typically the Detective Comics book features solo Batman stories, which are meant to be more noir-ish. Sometimes they crossover to the main Batman title or tie-in to the main story. But for my money it also worked best when isolated from the main series.

Here for DC Rebirth, the decision was made to make Detective Comics home to a team book: Batman along with Batwoman, Red Robin (Tim Drake), Spoiler, Cassandra Ca
    Norman Cook
    Dec 12, 2016 Norman Cook rated it really liked it
    For a brooding loner, Batman sure likes to surround himself with surrogate family members. The theme of this book really has to do with how family members can either support you or turn on you. Batwoman's relationship with her father becomes the focus of the series, but Red Robin's arc is no less compelling. The other heroes, Orphan, Spoiler, and Clayface, don't get a lot of stage time, but do provide the necessary parts to complete the team. Their stories will be emphasized more in coming issue ...more
    Luis Reséndiz
    Nov 21, 2016 Luis Reséndiz rated it really liked it
    quizá el mejor de los títulos de batman de rebirth, especialmente por la muy sabia decisión de centrarse en la familia y no en batman en sí. recibimos suficiente de batwoman (yasssss: este título le garantizó el regreso a su serie en solitario), tim drake (grande!) y el resto de los miembros del equipo. divertidísimo. pura dinamita.
    Steve
    I received this from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This one was all over the place. The "bad guy" add no surprise, and I have to say that I really dislike how a lot of Batman's enemies are somehow tied to his past and his family. Come up with an original enemy, DC!
    Matthew Cholodewitsch
    Pretty fun, pretty generic, and surprisingly pretty emotional (until it ends on a cliffhanger that undercuts the emotion).
    Dan
    Oct 27, 2016 Dan rated it it was amazing
    Easily the best rebirth book so far (if you take away Kings stupid Night of the Monster Men crossover )
    Daniel Falconer
    Jan 04, 2017 Daniel Falconer rated it it was amazing
    An incredible few issues and a riveting storyline. Couldn't put the comics down until I was finished.
    Gareth Brown
    Jan 04, 2017 Gareth Brown rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: comics
    one of the best rebirth titles + kate kane = win!
    GONZA
    Dec 23, 2016 GONZA rated it really liked it
    Shelves: edelweiss
    REVIEW TO COME!
    Lizzy  Walker
    Dec 29, 2016 Lizzy Walker rated it it was amazing
    If you like Batwoman, pick up this series!!!!
    Patrick
    Oct 18, 2016 Patrick rated it it was amazing
    An excellent team book, with great stand-out roles for all the various Bat-family.

Batwoman as leader is excellent, Tim as Lt and strategist - of course, Spoiler as Sarge, Orphan as the muscle, and Clayface as the literal glue that holds them together.

Excellence.
    Amanda [Novel Addiction]
    Jan 05, 2017 Amanda [Novel Addiction] rated it really liked it
    Shelves: graphic-novel, series, dc, arc
    Okay, I might be in the minority on this - but I loved this volume. Probably because it brought several of my favorite characters together, and that ending - UGH that ending! I'll be eagerly anticipating the next volume.
    Diego López Ocón
    Sep 17, 2016 Diego López Ocón rated it really liked it
    I was planning on giving it 3 stars, but the events that take place in this issue make me change my mind

I would like to start saying: Congratulations Batman, you have now seen all of your Robins die... at some point.

(view spoiler)

What can I say? At the beggining I was really excited to see all of
    Fahim Ahmed
    Sep 14, 2016 Fahim Ahmed rated it really liked it
    A great beginning to the Batman team-book. Tynion's done a great job making me care care about this diverse group of characters over the course of these 7 issues. Tim, Kate and Jacob got a decent amount of character development. It's also good that the book didn't feel cluttered because Steph, Cassandra and Clay Face weren't in the spotlight that much, but I hope that changes over the course of the next arcs.

I was skeptical about Barrows' art the start, but I warmed up to it by the end, combine
    Richard
    Sep 25, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it
    I've never really been much of a Batfan, but this series includes all of the characters from that world that I do like - Kate, Clayface, and (most of all) Cassandra Cain, so I thought I'd check it out.

It's mostly a really nice surprise. Almost all the character bits play well, the art is great, and I like the team dynamic. Yeah, the Big Bad is kind of goofy, but I can live with that. This volume ends with a particularly good cliffhanger, too. I love a good cliffhanger.

I'm admittedly not a big DC
    Linda
    Nov 21, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
    I think this is one of the better books in the DC Rebirth. The focus is more on the extended Bat family, and I'm enjoying the additional tension that arises from family drama. Tim Drake is my favorite Robin, so I'm glad they've found a place for him here.

The art has been solid (though my standard complaint about rotating artists still applies), I've been particularly impressed by Alvaro Martinez. Bonus: the Rafael Albuquerque variant covers are delightful.
    Utkarsh Bansal
    Oct 04, 2016 Utkarsh Bansal rated it liked it
    Recommends it for: Bat-family fans
    Shelves: comics
    This is a Batman team book, starring Spoiler, Orphan, Clayface and Red Robin in a team getting military training from Batwoman, while Batman, the man who assembled the team, tries to solve a mystery. Each of the character has an interesting emotional arc, especially Tim Drake, and the team dynamic is so engaging I would have considered this an essential volume, if not for the stupid cliffhanger ending. Learn from Saga, people! They know how to do cliffhangers right!
    Dan
    Aug 26, 2016 Dan rated it liked it
    Not bad, but not great. I feel like it's the "work as a team" aspect of this series I can't get into. Batman comics, which of course include Detective Comics, always feel more interesting and uh... authentic? when it's just Batman on his own solving crimes and brooding by himself...
    Connor McCarty
    Oct 30, 2016 Connor McCarty rated it it was amazing
    More great bat-family rebirth stuff. Nice to see Batwoman in a leadership role and in a readable book. Looking forward to Tynion's solo Batwoman comic in a few months
    Paul Nardone
    Paul Nardone rated it really liked it
    Sep 25, 2016
    David Castillo
    David Castillo rated it really liked it
    Oct 22, 2016
    Stefanos
    Stefanos rated it it was amazing
    Nov 13, 2016
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
    Prior to his first professional work, Tynion was a student of Scott Snyder's at Sarah Lawrence College. A few years later, he worked as for Vertigo as Fables editor Shelly Bond's intern. In late 2011, with DC deciding to give Batman (written by Snyder) a back up feature, Tynion was brought in by request of Snyder to script the back ups he had plotted. Tynion would later do the same with the Batman ...more
    More about James Tynion IV...

Detective Comics, Volume III (2 books)
    • Batman: Detective Comics, Volume 2: The Victim Syndicate