Start by marking “The Big Cheese of Third Street” as Want to Read:
The Big Cheese of Third Street

The Big Cheese of Third Street

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Little Benny Antonelli is so small that when the kids on Third Street play keep-away, he gets to be the ball. And that's no fun. (Well, at least not for Benny.)But the annual Third Street Block Party is right around the corner. And that's where the littlest Antonelli's gonna prove that a kid no bigger than a peanut butter sandwich has what it takes to be...

The Big Cheese o
Published 2002 by Simon & Schuster books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Big Cheese of Third Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Cheese of Third Street

Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Little benny Antonelli is a small young boy who is upset about his size. He is self conscious about his size due to the fact that the other boys on his block are much bigger than him. He constantly struggles with his insecurities until one day he wants to prove to everyone that he can do just as much, if not more than the other boys.

This is a great motivational book for students to overcome their insecurities and feelings of self doubt. The book is covered from page to page in color and picture
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literary-devices
This is probably the most useable mentor text Laurie Halse Anderson has ever written in my opinion. It's great for figurative language and the story is one of an unlikely hero that kids will easily relate to. I love stories about an under-appreciated character proving his self worth despite tremendous odds. Characters like that are so inspiring. Little Benny Antonelli is just the sort of character that makes me want to cheer, and I'm sure kids would feel the same way about him.
The Brothers
A very small boy finds life rather difficult when surrounded by his big, loud, boisterous family. In attempts to stay alive and whole, he learns to climb and get away quickly. One day there's a block party and his family and a rival family both vie for the best cheese in the world on top of a greased pole (I kid you not). The little guy finds he's the only one who can make it to the top and for once is really is The Big Cheese of third street.

Illustrations are okay.
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book is humorous and well written, indulging in a satirical fantasy scene while driving home the point that each person has his own strengths, and if one keeps trying to find his own special ability, then it will be found. The ambience of the pictures was also quite good. This is a good story from an excellent author who shows her versatility very nicely in these pages. I certainly would recommend it.
Little Benny Antonelli was the size of a sandwich compared to the rest of his family. He was always teased and picked on because he was so little. He is finally able to show his family that he deserves some respect when he is the only one at the annual block party to make it to the top of the tallest pole to grab the cheese.

Not great, not a good read-aloud either.
Oct 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute. I don't like that the reason Benny made it to the top was because he was so small and wouldn't slide - I was expecting it to be because he had determination or something. That makes a better moral for kids. But I did like Anderson's little chide: "What did you think this story was about? Geesh!"
Nov 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bullying
Benny is not very big. He is surrounded by people that seem to tower over him, and the fact that he is so little means he doesn’t get very much respect. When he wins a pole climb, to capture a prize of cheese, during the Third Street block party he finally overcomes his peers’ bullying.
jenna nims
Amber Westbrook
Oct 24, 2015
Dec 03, 2013
Nov 11, 2009

Ask box is open, my friends! What do you want to know?

The SPEAK graphic novel, illustrated by Emily Carroll, will be published on Feb 6, 2018!

I recently answered all kinds of great questions over at Reddit. Check it out for loads about my writing process and my books:

For bio stuff: Laurie Halse Anderson is the New York Times-bestselling author who wri
More about Laurie Halse Anderson...