Start by marking “Fathomless” as Want to Read:

(Cate Granger #1)

Carcharodon Megalodon – the largest and most fearsome predator to have ever existed on our planet. Rumors of its existence in our modern oceans have persisted for centuries. Now, in a new adventure, the rumors explode into brutal and terrifying reality in FATHOMLESS, by GREIG BECK.

Baranof Island, Gulf of Alaska, 1952. Jim Granger is searching for a place of legend. Known
Published September 29th 2016 by Cohesion Press

To ask other readers questions about Fathomless, please sign up.
Becky In a November 30th post on his FB page, Greig says that the book was caught between changing distributors and the book should be available again soon.

Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
4.5 Stars
Another awesome stand alone action/adventure by Aussie author Greig Beck! I love his books! Especially on audio narrated by Sean Mangan! Like an action movie for your ears!

Cate Granger is an evolutionary biologist, intent on following her grandfather’s footsteps, who disappeared in Baranof Island the Gulf of Alaska, back in 1952. With a team of fellow scientists, a billionaire, and an old flame, Cate makes her way by submarine into an untouched underground sea. They soon find they are n
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
10* Fave!

This was the best sea & subterranean creature feature I've read in a long time! It was a non-stop thrill ride from beginning to end. I was dragging out the pages just because I didn't want it to end.
Reeda Booke
I asked my husband the other day, "What would scare you the most; exploring outer space or exploring the deep ocean?"
I love the ocean...I find it peaceful, calming, and quite beautiful and powerful. But, the thought of exploring the deep ocean, I must admit, I find quite terrifying. Probably because it's part of our home and the thought of huge terrifying creatures living in it gives me the heebie jeebies.

This book filled me with dread. Just the thought of something that big coming out of the w
Stefan Svartling
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An exciting and suspense read. There is no calm and slow parts, only thriller all the time. A bit predictive from time to time though, and the ending could have been better. 4.5/5
J.K. Grice
In FATHOMLESS, Greig Beck delivers a Hollywood type thrill ride with the technical and scientific backing to help carry the story. Not a bad read, but personally I think Steve Alten did the Mega shark tale better in his novel, Meg. The most disappointing thing about FATHOMLESS is the unforgivable editing. There were dozens of errors and omitted words throughout the entire book, which was distracting and quite annoying. In his ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS section, Beck profusely thanks his editor and all I c ...more
Annie
The concept of this book wasn't terrible: a warm, underground sea filled with amazing and terrifying creatures. Unfortunately, that part of the book is over in the first half. After that, it's less Creature Feature and more Making Bad Choices On the Open Sea.

The romantic subplot was odd and forced (who doesn't want to make out with their ex in a pitch dark cave, in front of a third party, while being hunted by a giant shark?). The characters would have been perfectly safe had they stuck to water
Michael Flanagan
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
Fathomless is a gold ole fashion adventure read with monsters from the past trying to gobble everyone up. Grieg back has managed to meld together a whole heap of sub genres to deliver a Hollywood blockbuster worthy story. The story, characters and surprisingly the science are all good and mix well with the fast pace action to keep the reader on the edge.
John Beta
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Subterranean sea closed off for millions of years and supporting prehistoric sea life. This part was cool, as it piqued my interest to do a little research on these now extinct creatures. Good thing too! These were truly terrors of the deep, making our present great whites nothing but Nemos. Okay story - it had the sea creatures, adventure, cold-blooded sexy killer Russian, the Megalodon that was released into the Pacific, and lots of yummy people snacks for it. The weird thing is the story tell ...more
Andrea
In honour of Shark Week, I picked up Fathomless - a new deep sea thriller featuring no other but C. megalodon. I was so excited! To be honest, I did not expect literary genius here, but rather an action-packed adventure with lots of bigass sharks chomping on unsuspecting humans. While I did get kind of what I was looking for plot-wise, I really REALLY hated the characters.

Unfortunately a lot of the action was narrated through the dialogue, which was not one of the book's strongest points. To be
Lisa
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A subterranean sea filled with prehistoric terrors lies under the frozen Alaskan tundra. A team of scientists, bankrolled by a very wealthy eccentric man, go on an expedition to find the primordial place and to bring back news of it to the world. This was a really well written creature thriller! I will definitely be checking out Greig Beck's other books.
Monica Mac
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have read every book that Greig Beck has written so far and I had been very much looking forward to reading this one too.

As usual, this is a mixture of adventure, horror and science fiction and yet you very much believe that the scenarios that Mr Beck describes can absolutely occur. There is always a thread of fact running through his books, which is why you end up at the edge of your seat whilst reading this and his other books!

Compared to some of his other books, this one didn't grip me qui
Martin Hunt
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story, really looking forward to the sequel which i think is coming up. Gripping plot, really well worth reading.
Bobbie
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thriller about a megalodon discovered in a huge sea under Canada. I loved the story although I could never really get a handle on the female lead character. She was kind of hard to like or understand. Spelling and grammar errors but just the kind of fantastical escape book I like. But I was so disappointed that the author used his obvious political bias to insert unbelievably nasty comments about a group who is trying to save whales. It was just not necessary. That really ruined the end of a gre ...more
Kelly
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yikes! Fathomless is a truly scary, dark water tale. And by dark water, I mean underground sea, millions of years old. Natives call the place Bad Water and with very good reason. When you hunt the deep unknown, you become the hunted.
I love the tension between characters, the bravery, the sacrifice and the double-crosses. The scary creatures of the deep are pretty awesome, too.
Chris
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an adventure a thrilling tale, full of action, monsters of the deep and a new hero Jack looking forward to his next adventure.
Samantha
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first book I finished in 2019 was Fathomless. I do consider finishing this book today a little bit of a cheat to count it towards my 2019 read books list since I started and read 89% of the book in 2018, but watcha going to do?

After watching The Meg, one of those good bad movies I love to watch, I kind of felt like staying with the shark theme when I picked out the next book I was going to read. Searching around the Amazon store on my Kindle late at night, I stumbled upon Fathomless by Greig
Miriam
Loved this book! The story line and cast of characters were awesome. Perfectly narrated by Sean Mangan!
Marieclaire
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think I prefer the Alex Hunter books but this author is consistently good (and I love the narrators voice). Action, suspense, science.
Marvin
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Adventure novels are sturdy creatures that find themselves lounging on bookshelves, being read at the beach, and pretty much enjoying strong sales at the book stores. They are generously docile until the reader starts rifling their pages. At that point they have a tendency to hook their claws into you and you are pretty much stuck with them until the last exciting page.

Greig Beck is an Australian writer who knows the adventure thriller quite intimately. He seems to revel in them. This new creatu
Jan Kiper
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

This is a really good book and hold your attention from beginning to end and you don’t want to put it down. In fact it’s the best book I’ve read and some time for entertainment. Highly recommended and I only found one typo :-)
Lyn Richards
Totally loved this book about the search for hidden information in the depths beneath. I loved the intro where Beck outlines that we know more about the surface of the moon than we do about Earth's ocean.

This is a totally fascinating read about what can happen when we go meddling in the great beyond beneath. Just what ecosystems will we disturb and more importantly unleash. This tale was a nail biter from start to finish with a bit of romance mixed in for good measure.

I guess my only critique w
Liam Klenk
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
It was good fun, and I don't want to be too harsh because I am an author myself and know how often people cruelly judge our books without fully grasping how much work, research, editing, and thought went into them.
Still though, I do need to say I'm a bit disappointed because I had hoped this book to be a bit more original. I can't say much without giving the plot away... but I feel too much of the storyline is too closely related to 'Meg' by Steve Alten. Read 'Meg first and then this book... and
M Werber
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Greig Beck has done it again. Technothriller plus monster from the deep. What more could we ask for.
Cate Granger is an evolutionary biologist, a specialized field and one there's not too much call for. She approaches the head of her department to ask for more funding to explore a body of water under Alaska and is told instead that the budget for her department is gone. She and her two assistants have been fired. Not one to be kept down, she approaches Valery Mironov, reclusive Russian billionair
David L. Clonce
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intense Thrillride!

It starting off slow but went to high intensity quick . Just to imagine that a extinct species could have survived is an amazing story .I highly recommend this book. You want be able to sit it down .
Don
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: h-2018-33
Fathomless

Fathomless was definitely not my first Greig Beck novel, however, I did think it would be my last for while…. until…I digress.

For the first half or so of Fathomless I was definitely thinking that I had had enough of the world’s underwater monsters. I think I have five or six books now in which several authors have set their story underground in different parts of the world. At this stage Fathomless was only a three star read. If it was your first novel of this genre then I believe you
Alana-oonana
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I quite loved this book. Its one of the best historical-actioney novels i've read so far. However, i think the plot was a bit dodgy and the ending was - TERRIBLE
OMG THE ENDING WAS SO RANDOM IT MADE ME SO ANGRY I WOULDVE RATED IT 4 STARS IF NOT FOR THE HORRIBLE ENDING
I seriously thought this book was gonna become well known or something in the first half. The action was so vividly written, and you could tell a lot of research had been done. After that (spoiler- when they finally escaped the under
Jae Kay
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
The good: the initial premise is good. Prehistoric creatures have survived in a huge underground area. Our heroes start out exploring and things go wrong. Trapped in an nearly endless sea in an unclimable cavern... with huge monsters. Genuinely creepy stuff.

The bad: the rot starts early in what is an otherwise competently written, language wise, book. The prehistoric creatures are ones well known to anyone who has a vague interest (which beggars belief as it'd be more likely we'd never have eve
Karl Ljungberg
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sharks, adventure
So here we are again, reviewing a Greig Beck book and this time featuring one of my favorite creatures of all times: the megalodon. Ever since childhood and my friend started telling me about this shark that could swallow five humans whole at the same time (when I was already deathly afraid of sharks), I've been equal parts terrified and fascinated by this monstrous animal.

These days scientists don't think it was quite as big as reported once, something to do with how they placed the teeth and t
Read3r’z Re-Vu
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 BIG STARS FOR THIS BOOK!!!!
I highly recommend this book to readers over 12 years of age who LOVE horror and suspense stories!!!

Synopsis:
In 1952, Cate Grangers’ Grandfather set out in search of a place of legend known as “Bad Water” by the Island elders – home to many dangerous creatures… he never returned…

In 2016, Cate sets out to follow in her Grandfather’s footsteps seeking the Unknown and accidentally releases a creature from earth’s primordial past!!!

My Thoughts:
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! It pr
William
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, horror
This was the monster tale I've been looking for.
There was nothing utterly surprising or astonishing about this book, but it had some superb moments of terror, gore and fear in it.
A team of biologists discover an underground sea in Alaska. They dive deep into its depths and find themselves face to face with history's greatest apex predator: carcharodon megalodon; the ancestral, giant cousin to the great white shark. At sixty feet long, the beast is formidable and basically unstoppable. Fortunate
Hi GoodReaders, I’m an Australian author residing in Sydney with my wife, son and oversized German Shepherd we rescued named Leyla. My novels are now available globally, also in Large Print and now in full AUDIO format.

I grew up spending my days surfing at Bondi Beach before entering a career in Information technology which took me around the world. After completing an MBA, i was appointed both an

Cate Granger (2 books)
  • Abyss
“The ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of time.” 0 likes