Start by marking “The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Quintessential Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #5)” as Want to Read:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Quintessential Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play #5)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  542 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
While frequent flyer Arthur Dent searches the universe for his lost love, Ford Prefect discovers a disturbing blast from the past at The Hitchhiker’s Guide HQ. Meanwhile, on one of many versions of Earth, a blonder, more American Trillian gets tangled up with a party of lost aliens having an identity crisis. And, just when Arthur thinks he has found his true vocation on th ...more
Audio CD, 3 pages
Published June 20th 2005 by BBC Audiobooks (first published June 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Michael Clemens
kimyunalesca
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Probably the best of the bunch,I laughed a lot and got the hang of things.Everything somewhat came together,loads of explanation also surprises quite like instellar in a way of travel,loops,planet jump of sorts.I pretty much enjoyed this a bit sad it's over.The Radioplay production sounds a lot of fun!
Arlene
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. Totally different ending than the book. Huge plot twists.
Alex
This threatened to be really good. Insanity has been restored to the Hitchhikers Universe with the multidimensional parallel universe strands coming into full force, two Trillians, Arthur Dent - Sandwich maker - has a daughter and Ford Prefect befriends an amusing new robot and uncovers a hostile takeover of the Hitchiker's Guide...

...but again at 4 episodes this is just too short to work those ideas through and they're no sooner introduced than they're abandoned again. Maggs and the BBC decide
Ian Lepine
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stylistically speaking, this is as good as anything Adams ever wrote. A lot of people, however, object to the plot. The book upon which this is based is called Mostly Harmless, but it is anything but. The radio adaptation, however, pretends the ending was all an elaborate joke and gives us several happy endings connected inter-dimensionally. While the last few minutes of this radio play (not written by Adams, as I understand) are funny enough, it does feel like a betrayal to the original story. ...more
David Goodwin
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best and most quotable in the history of the universe.

"More popular, certainly more successful than the Celestial Home Care Omnibus, better selling than Fifty-Three More Things to do in Zero Gravity, and more controversial than Oolon Colluphid's trilogy of philosophical blockbusters Where God Went Wrong, Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes and Who is this God Person Anyway?" (quote Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

I highly recommend. I've read it (the series) about 3 times and it n
Adam
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks-a-z
Post listen review:

Totally incoherent, rather plotless, completely insane and fully and thoroughly entertaining. My only complaint is that it is too short.

Pre-listen guess

Woohoo! Douglas Adams is (ok was) a genious at being funny! Finally something decent to listen to.
Kerry
This one was only okay? I think? I was sewing at the time so I was only paying half attention. At least everybody was in it, that was good. Usually I'm a fan of parallel whatevers. But this was short and there was too little of the Book and too much American!Trillian. I dunno. It was all right.
Paul
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Douglas Adams fans
Recommended to Paul by: Douglas Adams
I picked this up thinking it was the final book (Mostly Harmless) in the Hitchhiker's trilogy. I was disappointed to find out it was actually the BBC production of the book, and not an actual reading of it. But BBC did a nice job of it, so I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In which Arthur Dent makes sandwiches .Ford Prefect goes on a spending spree. And we discover where the whole thing comes to a conclusion. Listened to the 2005 Radio Broadcast which gives the series a different ending than the books.
SPOILER******
Given Arthur a happy ending or various endings.
Min
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All I can say to it, is, a fine, and fitting end to the series....as written by Douglas Adams.
Several plot lines, conveniently bundled away in a twist that, I hope leaves the nostalgia buttons flashing happily.
Bob
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Likes: Great stuff, lots of quotable quotes, very humorously written.

Dislikes: This is, apparently, the last one.
Jason
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Sadly a poor ending to a great story.
benebean
if I could I'd prolly give it a 4.5... but I reserve 5 for books that I frequently and uncontrollably quote to other people :)
Philip
Enjoyed it and wanted to love it, but listening while I was driving back and forth to work it just got a little too confusing.
Ron Sadowski
Watoosa
Mar 15, 2007
Samuel Boardman
Apr 26, 2015
  • Cabin Pressure 2 (Cabin Pressure, #2)
  • Doctor Who: The Chimes of Midnight
  • Doctor Who: The Eye of the Scorpion
  • Doctor Who: Dust Breeding
  • Doctor Who: Bloodtide
  • Doctor Who: The Edge of Destruction
  • Doctor Who: The One Doctor (Big Finish Audio Drama, #27)
  • Doctor Who: Minuet in Hell
  • Doctor Who: Blood of the Daleks, Part 2
  • Doctor Who: Winter for the Adept
  • Doctor Who: The Stones of Venice
  • Doctor Who: Master
  • Doctor Who: Davros
Douglas Noël Adams was an English author, comic radio dramatist, and musician. He is best known as the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Hitchhiker's began on radio, and developed into a "trilogy" of five books (which sold more than fifteen million copies during his lifetime) as well as a television series, a comic book series, a computer game, and a feature film that was co ...more
More about Douglas Adams...

Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play (5 books)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Primary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #1)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Secondary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #2)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Tertiary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #3)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Quandary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #4)