Start by marking “Just Friends (Friends, #1)” as Want to Read:
Just Friends (Friends, #1)

Just Friends

(Friends #1)

It’s the end of summer. Just before I start senior year with my two best friends in the whole world. Dustin and Emily are everything to me. We’ve been inseparable since middle school, and when we’re together, nothing can go wrong.

But things aren’t always what they seem. Em’s turned into a drunken mess who parties too much. Dustin and I have hooked up a few times—and now he
ebook, 1st Edition, 315 pages
Published September 13th 2016 by EM Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Just Friends, please sign up.
Amy Yes, but.

Yes, but.

There is a book called One Night, available for free on Wattpad, that sort of sets up this book. You don't need to have read it in order to read this one, but I think it helps.

This book also ends on a cliffhanger, so there is a sequel to come.(less)

Start your review of Just Friends (Friends, #1)
Jennifer Kyle
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

Warning: aggravating, indecisive, selfish, teenagers are included in this story!

[image error]

As the mother of two girls, I can attest that Monica Murphy has completely nailed the hive inducing drama of being a confused teenager in this first book of her new series. This story does end with a cliffhanger and should seriously come with a coupon to the local liquor store.

”My two best friends messing around after he messed around with me. No, no, no.”

description

The writing and delivery on the other
Karen Mc
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is something that shines in a young adult (YA) romance. Maybe it’s the movement, the faster pace, the engagement of the story. Perhaps it’s the childhood innocence resonating through the story. It could be the trip down memory lane it takes to those teenage years, sparking good and trying times. The glue that usually cements YA stories—with tough topics, some sexy scenes, and lots of depth—together is hope. Who doesn’t need a little hope in their life?

While I’ve read many college romances
Christy
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

photo 0E347EC4-CD11-444E-8312-C84ED96DD7A1_zpssrwoc48l.png

Nothing like teenage angst and drama! Monica Murphy brings a large dose of both in her newest mature YA read Just Friends. Just a heads up, this book has many unlikable characters. I spent a large part of it just sitting here shaking my head waiting for the next crazy thing to happen, but it was completely unputdownable and captivated me from the start. It reminded me of the times I was addicted to those high school tv dramas (think 90210, Gossip Girl etc) and I would just binge watch
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
3.5 stars!

*ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.

We're all messing around with each other. And it's a freaking disaster waiting to happen."

Starting off this review by saying that despite the YA genre classification, this book is not for the younger audience. Lots of cheating, drugs, sex, and promiscuity in general. The characters reminded me of Gossip Girl and 90210, the people unlikable yet intriguing and their story hard to put down.

Summer's almost over and Olivia is back from a
Shannon Moore
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
This review is going to be a bit different than any (or all, basically) of my others, and here's why: When I finished Just Friends, I had a multitude of thoughts swirling around in my head that just wouldn't stop, so I made a quick point form list of these to later expand upon. Instead of diving in the deep end with this review, I'm simply going to take those unedited, immediate thoughts that I had and touch on those. They were my true initial reactions, so that's what I'm going to share. This ...more
Eliza
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

Admittedly I’m always hesitant when it comes to Young Adult novels, but there was something about Just Friends that made me throw caution to the wind and step into the storm that was teen angst. Slated as mature Young Adult (which it definitely is) my hesitation quickly gave way to curiosity as I got swept along in the sexed up teen drama. I’m still trying to dissect how Monica Murphy was able to write about characters that made me both want to tear my hair out but also have a sleep over
Katy Loves Romance ❤️
4 confusing as hell stars
 photo 8F0DA591-0C6F-46C4-BE73-1FC9383F0203_zpsfjakwi8k.jpg

Freaking hell, what have I just read?? I don't even know what to say... First off it kind of felt like being in high school getting mixed up in the wrong crowd and not knowing what to do about it? Mmmm and friends, (not the best kind of friends because they rile you up the wrong way) but friends all the same. Yet this also unputtadownable and addictive.. I read late. But ohhhh MYYY godddd how annoying are these characters..

So what's it about?
Olivia/Liv had a summer
Melody Kimmons-Allen
Just Over It!

***contains light spoilers***

WTF did I just allow myself to read? Me and this book... Ugh! We clashed until the very last page. This was just the most annoying book with the most obnoxious characters, that I have EVER read. That's saying a lot, I hardly ever give below 3 stars.

WHY is this a book?
What was the point of this messy bullshit?

It follows three best friends or asinine children, as I like to call them. There's Livvy, who's POV the book is in, Emily and Dustin.

Livvy comes
MELISSA *Mel Reader*
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!
(ARC provided by author)

photo 008F2ABA-8CB2-4ECC-9A23-40A4DC1A45AE_zpsn3d6c9lk.jpg

Olivia Hudson is a 17 yr. old living in California with her mother & is about to start her senior year of high school. She heads to Oregon to spend the summer with her dad & is separated from her two best friends Dustin & Emily for most of the summer. The three of them have been inseparable since middle school. In recent months Livvy's relationship with Dustin has changed a bit. They sometimes mess around & it means more to Dustin than it does to
Monica Murphy
Aug 29, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-this
So hey, I can't deny this book is full o' teenage drama. I was trying to capture those real, sometimes fun, sometimes painful moments in high school. Cos let's be honest - high school could be super painful...

photo I want him4_zps5ps8nybg.jpg

Kobo: http://bit.ly/2bNGXUX
Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/2bIEISO
Amazon CA: http://amzn.to/2bhsEbM
Amazon AU: http://amzn.to/2byYFg7

I have a FREE read that is a prequel to
Michelle
ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review

photo a40625e511aa3f221c79ca1bec0c87_zpsdwx3x3xy.gif

An addictive, engrossing, and messy love triangle or should I say love square of young teenage drama at it’s best!!!! Monica Murphy completely outdid herself as she has delivers a sexy, complicated and fresh modern story of young love, friendship, and of course D-R-A-M-A. If One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl, Beverly Hills 90210, and Dawson’s Creek had a baby, Just Friends would be it!!

photo c49d3b4809584c7e42ea3ed40191ed_zpsyvewgqna.gif “He has almost a dangerous air about him and my
Claire Robinson
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shit-hot-series
3.5 - "How messed up are we..?" Stars!

Monica Murphy begins a new series about a group of teens living it large, I have to give her, her due in regards to this as she really did hit the nail on the head in relation to the personality, actions and reactions of this group of characters and the age group they were representing.

Pre-Order

Amazon US: http://amzn.to/2bdp3Jp
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/just-...
Amazon CA: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01KSHL0BM
Amazon UK:
Beverly
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

I have legit struggled with this rating and review. Mainly because I have not stopped thinking about these characters all day. I have wondered what’s going to happen next and second guessed all these moments. I started this book at 11:00 PM and planned to read until I fell asleep. Next thing you know it’s 2:30 AM and I am on the last page wanting more.

The story is told from Olivia’s point of view. Olivia is the daughter of a single mother and lives in a wealthy subdivision, but they
 Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕
3 Stars

If someone was to ask to me if I wanted to go back to high school for four years or get a bunch of root canals without the drugs, I'm picking the damn root canals!! This story had so much drama that I honestly couldn't stop reading but then there were parts that truly annoyed the hell out of me and had me thanking god that I'm not Seventeen anymore.

Olivia is finally back after spending the summer with her dad and his new family. Missing out on everything over the summer, she's excited to
KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕
༺**Complimentary Copy**༺ Provided by the author
"Monica Murphy" exchange for an honest review..Thank you!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

RELEASE DATE: September 13th, 2016

MY RATING: 4 STARS

::: TEENAGE DRAMA AND OVERLOADED HORMONES :::

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

JUST FRIENDS: Be prepared buy wine!! By a cask!! Buy bulk!! You will need it!!

There's teenage drama galore, angst galore, me wanting to get off this teenage rampage of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll where this
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Talk about a ride. I couldn't put this book down. I had to finish to the end. My poor family took a back burner to this story yesterday.

What can I say but damn what a chaotic mess that kept me flipping the pages. I love drama, maybe it was years watching soap operas when I was way too young.

I can't say I loved all the characters and their actions, but I can say characters with flaws make stories more real.

I was hooked from page one and ran the gamut of emotions from happy, sad, love, hate,
Michelle
2.5 Stars!
I can't believe this ends on a cliff!! There's no way in hell I will be reading another book about Olivia! She annoyed the shit right out of me!!! Ugh!! The only person I liked was Amanda:)
Paula
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it

Warning: Typical annoying teenagers that might drive you to want to smack some sense into them... Or drink. ;-)

If there was ever a book that reminds me too much of my high school days, this would be it. **shivers**

This book was a total guilty pleasure. Lots of drama and tension to get you hooked and turning the pages fast. It's pretty addictive!
Genesis Sheli (Whispering Chapters)
This review was originally posted on Latte Nights Reviews.

Just Friends is the second book I've read by Monica Murphy and I don't know if I would give this author another chance. I read another YA title by her and while it was okay, it didn't wow me at all and it was very childish.

Just Friends was a train-wreck. I wanted to stop—boy, did I want to stop—but I couldn't. For some unknown reason, I had to keep reading. I was ready to DNF this one, but I don't know why I kept reading. It's safe to say
Deniz
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: love, new-adult
My first reaction when I finished this?
What does soon mean???
I want more of this.

Let me warn you: This is high on angst, high on drama and full of teenagers going at it, whom you might wanna smack BUT it is so so so enjoyable!! You might not be able to stop until you done with the book.

Murphy's writing is just right. She pushes the drama high, but not too much. The chemistry is off the chart, we get just the right of smut... everything is balanced just right, that I kept reading, even if I was
Melissa | Slow Readers Blog
Originally posted on Slow Reader's Blog

This book was absolutely and completely ridiculous. And I'm not even sure if I mean that in a good way? I vacillated between DNF and binging on it pretty much the entire time. The characters were bratty, selfish, and pretentious and I didn't like any of them. The plot is really thin, moves at hyper speed, and there's zero character growth. These kinds of books usually drive me crazy. I don't read them, I don't even have them on my radar. BUT I HAVE NO
Rejane

I think this is an author who would gain a lot if she payed attention to reviews. I used to like her books and the number of reviews has decreased SO MUCH ( like,for an author who got over 40.000 reviews and now she's got barely 800?) People do get tired of reading the same book. These messy plots involving so many characters and nothing is resolved and to make worse you end it in a cliffhanger, readers are fed up
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks-i-own, arcs
Original review on Julalicious Book Paradise

I won't lie, this book is addicting. I kept reading chapter after chapter wanting to know where it would end. I wanted to know what more could happen to the characters. I needed to know who would end up crying, mad or happy.

But... The characters all annoyed me. Olivia, Emily, Ryan and Dustin got on my nerves so much that it was quite irratating. I was hoping that by the end of the book, I would at least love one of them, but no.

I tried not to judge
Jen Zingaro
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Holy Jesus, this book! I knew from the blurb that I would love it. Someone described is as 90210 -ish and it totally is. I spent the whole entire book on pins and needles thinking something crazy was going to happen. These girls put themselves in some crazy situations. I was actually nervous to keep reading. Talk about deception, lying and not being able to trust anyone. Who needs enemies when you have friends like that!! Add a couple of love triangles in there and this makes for a very ...more
Nina ~ Social Butterfly PR
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
THIS BOOK!!! It is everything that I could want in a YA book....it is seniors at their best and worst....like it or not one of the most realistic YA books I have read in a long time. Monica Murphy nailed the spirit of the American Teen. She captured the feelings and emotions and hormones perfectly....because at the end of the day, these teens have no real clue what they want out of life...but wow what an amazing journey to be taking with Liv and Ryan and Amanda and Tuttle!!!

This book deserves
Melissa (Corrupted BY Smut)
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
** was given an ARC for an honest review**

I totally enjoyed this book!!!! Talk about a book filled with teenage angst, drama, back stabbing, social media problems, and a love triangle so complicated I almost (and that's ALMOST) wish I had that much fun in high school myself!!!

I don't know how many TIMES I wanted to throw my IPad and stomp my feet at Olivia's exasperating indecisiveness!! For this, I think Monica Murphy captured the life of a teenager perfectly, in this case being one that has
Lisa
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, for-review
If I could give this book more than 5 stars I so would ugh the cliffhanger not cool Mrs. Murphy. Review to follow after I compose myself!

My Review:

I love when I'm lucky enough to read two amazing books back to back, it's like Christmas morning with fireworks && reading Just Friends was that!

Let me say though we are dealing with a bunch of high school kids here who are pushing their friendships/relationships to the limit while trying to survive high school, Which you will totally forget
Lauren
Jun 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2017
This is one of those books that I would have loved when I was younger but all I could think about when reading this was how annoying and childish these characters were. Livvy was became more and more bitchy as the book went on and she didn't seem like a very good friend and Ryan just....no. I don't see the allure in male protagonists like Ryan. The only part I enjoyed was Amanda and Tuttle.
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Just Friends (Friends #1) by Monica Murphy
3.5 stars!!!

“We’re all messing around with each other. And it’s a freaking disaster waiting to happen.”

There is nothing more addictive than car crash reading, well for me anyway. You know it’s a train wreck, you know it’s all going to end badly, yet you just cannot look away, you just cannot stop reading…well that is what Just Friends was like for me. I’m in my forties, yet I love reading about teenagers, their experiences in college and the mistakes
Melanie (mells_view)
Super. DUPER. SPOILERY! Look away now... It's not pretty. Well the edit is, but that's about it.

photo F4903FB7-D074-4F7D-8263-3A56B9609128_zpsqndx5xz3.jpeg

***Absolutely recommend reading One Night first. It's like an extended prologue that's available for free on WattPad, I still hate most of the characters, but reading it made me more sympathetic and gave me a better understanding of some of the things they do and how they felt. It makes me want to read Just Friends over again with new eyes.***

(view spoiler)

• Friended: A Nostalgia Songfic (Modern Love Book 1)
  • Allusion
  • Cornerstone (Cornerstone, #1)
  • Gateway (The Gateway Trilogy, #1)
  • Live Like You Mean It (Desolate Sun #1)
  • Don't Leave  (Stay #2)
  • Vampire Trouble (Deadly Destiny, #1)
  • The Wrong Bachelor
  • The Date Dare
  • Infestation (A Small Town Nightmare, #1)
  • Fear Me, Fear Me Not (Gavert City #1)
  • Earth Angel: Books 1-5
  • Stay  (Stay #1)
  • Stupid Smart  (Jaded #3)
  • Faking Perfect
  • Broken Hill Halo (Broken Hill High #2)
  • Confessions of a Heartbreaker
  • Kiss and Break Up (Magnolia Cove, #1)
New York Times, USA Today bestselling author and #1 international bestselling author. A believer in kissing. A believer of love.

I also write contemporary romance as USA Today bestselling author Karen Erickson.

Sign up for my newsletter: https://www.monicamurphyauthor.com/ne...

Hang out with me on Instagram!

Friends (3 books)
  • More Than Friends (Friends, #2)
  • Forever (Friends, #3)