Start by marking “The Girl Who Cried Wolf” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Cried Wolf

The Girl Who Cried Wolf

A growing up story with a difference, and a startling debut, The Girl Who Cried Wolf shows the tumultuous transition from teenager to young woman and is a story about believing in something, whether love, faith or simply yourself.

Anna Winters is beautiful, reckless and entirely self-absorbed. She spends more time thinking up reasons to call in sick to school than she does
Published September 15th 2016 by Accent Press

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Cried Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Cried Wolf

The Call of the Wild by Jack LondonWhite Fang by Jack LondonFantastic Mr. Fox by Roald DahlJulie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead GeorgeLittle Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman
Foxes and Wolves
497 books — 120 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly BarnhillThe Girl on the Train by Paula HawkinsThe Girl Who Loved Wild Horses by Paul GobleThe Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
The Girl
359 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Girl Who Cried Wolf
Simon Williams
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Girl Who Cried Wolf is an impressive work- and I speak (or write) as someone who doesn't normally read the kind of book that might be pigeonholed as "angsty YA" were it not for the superior writing and gritty but empathic style of author Bella James.

I always say that a book lives or dies by its characters- and this is certainly character-driven. It's not just possible to feel for the fate of main character Anna Winters- it's almost mandatory. The story pulls you in, the character is well-rou
Matthew Peters
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a stunning debut. I am a very tough critic when it comes to evaluating writing, but this book delivers. The prose is lyrical and flows effortlessly.The characters are very real and extremely well-developed, with the protagonist demonstrating a nice arc as the story concludes. I loved the pacing; it kept me turning pages and pulled me away from my own work. Like all great books, The Girl Who Cried Wolf forces you to realize what's truly important in life. I can't wait to read more from th ...more
Dee Groocock
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book starts with Anna, who is quite frankly, a horrible bully. We follow Anna as she uses every excuse in the book as a reason not to go to school. It turns out that Anna is actually ill with a brain tumour and we follow her journey through her illness. She has a lot of hate in her, especially towards her Mother. This is a great story, featuring all the ups and downs of teenage life plus the added distress of cancer. The story is beautifully written by Bella James & I highly recommend this. ...more
AvidReader
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Story. I highly recommend Bella James YA Novel, The Girl Who Cried Wolf, a coming of age romance that deals with brain cancer from “over the pond” in Northumberland. Since I live in the “states,” I found it fascinating to learn about the UK’s school and health care systems. The girl in the story is snarky and funny. Her near-death experience is unique and well worth reading. Kudos to Bella James.
Laura Danks
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book, the characters and the ups and downs between hope and despair made this novel an interesting read.
I love Anna flippant, careless and often obnoxious attitude because it makes her real and if not likeable, she is definitely an angry rebellious teenager I can understand and relate to. I loved the difficult relationship with her mother and the cathartic evolution of their connection.
A highly recommended novel that I think will make a great movie!
Joanna Lambert
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Anna is a bully; a past master at inventing illnesses to bunk off school of get out of certain classes. She’s seventeen, drinks, is rebellious, abusive to her mother and jealous of her younger sister. However, there are moments when she does feel remorse for the way she is, then moments later she is carrying on in the same old way. When her sickness record sees her referred to a doctor she is shocked to discover she really is ill. Very ill. In hospital she meets fellow patient Michael. He’s kind ...more
Yolande Branch
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book from Accent YA in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this book from start to finish! The main character, Anna was spoilt, obnoxious and a right pain in the behind but it was such a joy to read her journey and share her "ups" and "downs" with her illness and falling in love with the handsome Michael. The relationship with her mother was difficult to digest due to Anna being such a cow towards her, but when you find out the reason why Anna's mother has been so di
Ashleigh
May 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmm. I'm on the fence about this one.

The Girl Who Cried Wolf follows Anna, a 17 year old girl in sixth form, who likes to take sick-days from school so she can go out drinking with her friend Jules. For Anna, that's all that really matters. Until, after one too many sick days, and too many crazy explanations, she's called into a meeting with a doctor who runs a few tests and announces that Anna may have cancer.

It turns out Anna has a brain tumour, and whilst receiving treatment, she meets fell
Chrisrapier
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I\d never heard of this author, but picked the book up based on the description. Loved this story so much, spiritual, romantic and tragic, but told with a sense of humour. Anna's journey kept me gripped from beginning to end, couldn't put it down. Recommended.
Emma
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I think this was probably a little over-edited it sped up way too much at the end. Otherwise I did like it, but didn't love it.
Sarah Taphom
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.75/5 stars

I was struck initially by the voice in this book. It was so well-established, and although the character of Anna is the hallmark of an unsympathetic character (frankly, she's a bit of a bitch), you don't want her to die. You go through the whole book wishing for her to live, which I attribute to the author's talent at making unlikeable characters likable.

Her romance with fellow patient Michael does give you The Fault in Our Stars vibes, but that's about where the similarities
Julie B.
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
For more review, please visit my blog.

Genre: Young Adult Fiction

Rating: 4.0/5.0 stars

Main takeaway: a short, yet absorbing book about love and hope that will give you chills!

*I received this book from the publisher, Accent Press Books, in exchange for an honest review as part of the novel’s anniversary blog tour. I received no compensation for this review and the opinions expressed are in no way influenced by this transaction.*

Anna Winters lives a reckless life of partying and shirking responsi
Cali Joe
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW!
What an incredible read. I actually went in with certain misgivings because I thought it would be cliche, but after reading it, I was enthralled with the whole story.
So much happening, but I was never overwhelmed. Such a great read!!
Pleasure Your Shelf
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great read, beautifully written and with a unique twist, though Anna remained unlikeable even to the end. Still not sure if the story ended abruptly, too early or if it was the perfect end.
Vladimir Putin
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Lol the gurl cri
Joanne
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating book, what a teenager and how she grew as time went on. The family was definitely a sad situation. Would recommend it to all and especially teenagers who need to see the other side.
Taoanebr
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This book was really interesting to read.
Anna is bully and far from charming, but her dark humour made me love her and cried with her.
Her love story with Michael is so touching and is so worth to read this book.
About to start the next book!

Clare
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story from debut author Bella James was for me an exceptionally good read, from the quality of writing within this book to the description and emotional content of each and every situation that the characters face and go through. Anna Winters the main character is a young girl that avoids going to school all the time by faking illness so that she can go drinking and partying with her friends until one day she is sent to a doctor that discovers that she has cancer. Now Anna is a character th ...more
Ashley McLeo
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!! This book had me after the first page. Bella James opens with Anna, a girl who has an irresistibly quirky voice. At first, I only adored Anna, a fun loving, sassy 17-year-old. As I learned more about her I still liked her but became very aware that she had nasty streak. Let's just say girl needs a little attitude adjustment. As the story progresses Anna undergoes a major health scare, falls in love, and learns the truth about her family (Which was absolutely riveting to rea ...more
Katelyn
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting concepts. A lot happens. and i mean a LOT.

I liked it very much
Aggie Unsworth
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book. From the blurb I fully expected this to break me and read like the fault in our stars, but that didnt happen for me. While the raw story is a good one and should break your heart, in truth I failed to really connect with this story and its characters.

This is the story of Anna, who is a reallz angry girl, always missing school and coming up with planty of reasons. Instead she much rather gets drunk and shies away from any responsibilty. She never really worried
N.J. Simmonds
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anna is that teenage girl we’ve all known or been. Quite frankly she isn’t very nice. She’s disrespectful to her mother, skives off school, indifferent about her friends, horrid to her lovely little sister and generally angry. I didn’t like her at first, and neither will you, but that’s ok – I don’t think we’re meant to. In fact Anna doesn’t like herself much either.
And things only get worse when she discovers she has cancer.

They say life works in mysterious way, and for Anna having her life tak
Jeff Gardiner
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read. Bella James has created a very realistic protagonist in Anna - she's a complicated and yet sympathetic character. She faces huge challenges and has a few personal issues to deal with. Great use of dialogue to create tension and depth of character. The novel contains a few surprises and goes in directions you might not expect - and that's a good thing. The themes are handled sensitively and overall the novel is uplifting. 'The Girl Who Cried Wolf' examines what it means to be al ...more
Jossie Marie Solheim
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was brilliantly written! Bella has a way with words that really draws you and even though the main character is far from likable, she is incredibly believable. Be warned there are also moments where this book becomes a real weeper. That said, I loved it and would definitely like to read more by this author in the future.
Thingsinherhead
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(UPDATE) Finally managed to sort my mind and made a review.. hahaha. So just check it out here
---> https://thingsnherhead.tumblr.com/pos...

Will make a review in my blog when my mind functions properly.. I'll just put it here first so as to update my dying Reading Challenge.hahaha.
Peter Kisten
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very absorbing read - Whilst reading this book I found I could not put it down. Bella captures the true meaning of life in this book and it is a very fantastic book.
Grace Sargeant
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed, it was a fantastic book and I would defiantly recommend it. Bella James is a really good author and I really liked this book!
Phill Featherstone
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't going to give this 5 stars because I really dislike the heroine. Then I thought that would be a bit like saying you don't rate 'The Merchant of Venice' because you don't like Shylock (not that Bella James would compare herself to Shakespeare, I'm sure). So I gave it the full 5 because it's well plotted and well written.
There are some things that could be improved. For example, the two protagonists are a bit too extreme: Anna is a total bitch and Michael is so good he's in line for a sa
Tina-Marie Miller
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whilst this is not a genre I would usually read, I was blessed to receive a signed copy of Bella James’ debut novel ‘The girl who cried wolf’ and I’m very glad I did.
I was hooked from the very first page, soaking up word after word as Anna’s world unfolded depicting the tale of a feisty teenager who experiences a range of emotions along her complicated journey.
The book is well written with many twists that left me gasping out loud in several places. The injection of humour is well placed and the
Karen Karter
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a really charming story. Well Anna was far from charming, she was very stubborn and feisty...but her very dry humour made me laugh out loud five mins after crying over her misfortune. I like the unusual near death experience, not many YA books I have read explore life after death. It was the author's take on how this might affect someone, but she made it intriguing.

• #Murdertrending (MurderTrending, #1)
  • Sunflowers in February
  • The Activist (Theodore Boone, #4)
  • If I Wake
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • Shadowsmith
  • Nerve
  • What If
  • Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
  • More Than a Number
  • Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)
  • On the Other Side
  • The Definition Of Us
  • Pond
  • The Brightest Star in the Sky
  • First of the Tudors
  • Running in Heels
  • The Spectacular Now
Author Biography

Bella James is the author of The Girl Who Cried Wolf, and the sequel -Girl With a Wine Glass- (This is the new American-published version of Hunger Moon) which will be released December 2018.

She writes gritty and intense novels that pull no punches in the trials of transitioning from child to adulthood.

Bella worked for many years with young people who were facing exclusion from mai