Start by marking “Cop Under Fire: Moving Beyond Hashtags of Race, Crime and Politics for a Better America” as Want to Read:

America has become increasingly divided and polarized in recent years. With growing racial tension, animosity toward law enforcement professionals, government corruption, and disregard for the constitutional process, there seems to be no easy answer in sight. But Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke knows where we must begin.
Published February 28th 2017 by Worthy Books

Jeanette
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book surprised me. Expectations were that it would be bombastic and possibly a 3 or at most a 4. Or possibly a 2. Nope, not even close. He's incredible. Not only is he monster brave but he writes well. As well as he speaks, and maybe even better.

But more than his superlative recounting of his own life, his roles lived in youth, and his path to 4 consecutive election successes to head the Milwaukee police department- his articulation for the inner city policing balance is superb. Actually t
Linda Strong
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
Watching the news everyday, I see my beautiful America being more and more divided...and not only by race. I've heard the reports of so many law enforcement officers across the country being targeted because of the uniform they wear. I hear about all the black on black crime that involves innocent people, we well as gangs. It seems to get worse each day.

This is not the normal book I would choose to read. I've seen Sheriff Clarke on the news, giving speeches here and there. He talks common sense,
Dina
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great read, informative while entertaining. This was an easy read, it flowed very well.
I think my favorite parts were stories about his Dad. What an amazing man! And his son turned out just as well.

He has had such an amazing career and it is interesting to see his thoughts on how things are lining up in the world currently. While I am rarely surprised by politics, I am always in disbelief over the partisanship of it, and this book high lights that well.

This book would be considered conser
Victoria
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How I wish there were more voices like Sheriff Clark's out where people could hear.
Chris Gordon
The first time I saw Sheriff David Clarke was on a YouTube clip of Don Lemon's news show on CNN (I would never willingly watch a Fake News network such as theirs). This was in the wake of the Baton Rouge shootings perpetrated by a Black Lives Matter terrorist which left three officers dead and three others wounded. Don Lemon had Sheriff Clarke on the show that night and asked him if the police community's response to these murders was that of "peace" and "unity." Sheriff Clarke was not having an ...more
Heidi
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best conservative political books
that I have ever read.

More review to follow.
Linda Quick
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an engaging book that I just couldn't put down. It starts out with a brief history of how Sheriff Clarke got into politics and became a sheriff, but then quickly moved on to the issues facing us as a nation and, in particular, the law enforcement officers that serve.

He does this by by shining a light on past events and how they've influenced and/or created current problems. It was refreshing to read his no nonsense take on these issues. Even better, he cites biblical passages that expla
Lisa Blair
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sheriff Clarke does an amazing job sharing his journey from being a captain in the police department to being the Milwaukee County Sheriff. He is not political as a person, but is forced to declare a party to run for office. Raised in a democratic family, living in a democratic county, Clarke chose to run on the democratic ticket. However, his conservative views put him at odds with both democrats and republicans. He could be likened in his views to President John F. Kennedy. Conservative based ...more
Stephen
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good analysis of our country and many of the issues we face. I enjoy Sheriff Clarke's perspective. He's self aware enough to recognize that his view comes from a law enforcement perspective and he takes off the jaded glasses to get an honest look at our situation. This book is very down to earth and logical.
Anni Welborne
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
If anyone has the right to address cop vs. black problems, it is this man. Sheriff Clarke offers great perspective on how and why he is where is as well as how and why our culture is where it is. But beyond that, he offers practical solutions and possibilities that ought to be implemented. Even better, these solutions are not just his dreaming stuff up. He has implemented these in his life and the lives for whom he is responsible, proving that they work. His solutions are not social experiments. ...more
Art
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking and well-written by a man who has served decades on the front lines as a law enforcement officer. Believes in the rule of law, individual (not group) rights and responsibilities, and local government. Sheriff Clarke is a graduate of the FBI National Academy and has an M.A. in Security Studies from the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School, Center for Homeland Defense and Security.
Melanie  Clark
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The more I read about Sheriff Clarke, the more I like him. "Cop Under Fire" is inspirational reading. Sure, life has problems but never give up. Take responsibility for your actions. Work to improve yourself. Keep your word. Love one another.
Jamie Brander
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best book I've read in 2017
Greg Smith
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Exactly what needs to be said concerning law enforcement in the brave new world we live in. Political correctness, identity politics, and social media is putting public safety at risk. Sheriff Clarke demonstrates the responses that need to be taken by politicians and law enforcement. Highly recommended!
Agnes
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informative
Man with such integrity.
Jim Brown
You can tell how good or how bad a book will be in the first couple of pages; rarely do they get any better. Have read the first two chapters and they have been outstanding. So far, a very hard book to put down without wanting to continue reading when you have something else that needs to be done.

An amazing read. It is not often that I can say I agree with everything someone says or writes but in this book and in Sheriff Clarke, I can say that without reservation. I knew not what I was going to
Carol
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cop Under Fire? No way GODly man under fire!!!! This is a book of abandonment, agony, also beauty and compassion. The book starts by telling about his parents and how they got together and then how he came along and then he goes on from there - the book has it's good and its bad and then its very bad. He talks about America what it was what it is and what it could be and what it would take to become what it could be and it takes to fix everything in this whole world to bring everything to perfec ...more
Brad Sevcik
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OUTSTANDING

Brilliant book by a man who is on the 'front line' of the struggle for the soul of our society. Enough of the 'it's everyone else's fault' mentality and start taking care and responsibility for ourselves, our loved ones, and even our country. He says what needs to be said and to those it needs to be said to. He's too smart to do it,but I would love to see him in Washington D.C.
una belanger
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Clark, police officer

I really like David Clark and of course the reason I bought this book. I now have more reason to support this man. He tells it like it is. I support all his actions and wholeheartedly agree with him. The police in the small village where I live are neighbors and friends and care about every citizen that live here. I support our men in blue.
Chuck
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autographed
TRUTH BOMB. . . ..too much truth in this book for most to handle. . . .common sense, basic ideas which would help fix a great many problems. Not for those afflicted with 'politically correct" disease. ..unless you are looking for a cure.
Gigi
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Sheriff David Clarke tells it like it is! I was certainly saddened to hear of his retirement yesterday. America needs more men like this looking out for the welfare of both civilians and fellow officers.
Crystal
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a must read considering the dangerous climate of the nation nowadays. The popular Sherriff of Milwaukee has done a tremendous service to truth and to LEOs and their families in speaking his mind and in stating many facts here. Wish we could multiply this good man a thousand times!
Haphazard802
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No sugar coating

Great book . Touched on all the topics. Just as in his interviews, direct talk with no sugar coating. Great job, Mr. Clarke!!!
Zann
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! If this man ran for president of the United States, I would vote for him. Need I say more?
Jon Moeller
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just finished. A FANTASTIC book about the realities of today's world and the realities within the law enforcement world.
A must read for all sociology and criminal justice students.
Jeff
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I don’t like Sheriff Clarke. Still I gave the book “3” stars.

I was born and raised in Milwaukee. In all of my 69 years of life, I’ve never lived more than 30 miles from Milwaukee. I get the Milwaukee TV stations and read the Milwaukee newspaper daily. I’ve been familiar with Sheriff Clarke long before he became a national media whore. Somewhere along the line, the messenger became bigger than the message.

The book talks, in part, about family values, hard work and religious beliefs. Who can argue
Vince Cooper
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You cannot watch the news and get the whole story any more. You get the story of someone trying to push an agenda who will then take no responsibility when they are wrong. They want to feed and fuel the fires that divide us.
the reason why? Control. Complete and total control. If you are an American citizen you are a threat to every politician because you have the authority to take away their power, but you refuse to do so. Why? Because you are too busy fighting other Americans. You are fed stor
John Anthony Smith
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
David Clarke Jr. is definitely a dedicated man to his cause. What really shocked me watching and listening to him on Fox News is that he still cals himself a Democrat. But he also refers to himself as a Conservative. So here we have a new breed in the political arena. A man who refers to himself as a black conservative and a democrat. I support David’s ideology, or at least to an extent. Even though he has a very conservative frame work to his ideology, which I support, he also has some odd quir ...more
Thomas Marsh
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book, Cop Under Fire: Moving Beyond Hashtags of Race, Crime and Politics for a Better America, by Sheriff David A. Clark Jr, published on 2/28/17 is a biography on his early childhood, and then how he got into politics. Later on in the book he talks about important issues regarding the country and the police officers of America. It takes place in America, both in the past of his childhood and the present day America. He talks about his childhood and how his parents shaped him into a respectf ...more
Larry
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gee. Before I started the book, I thought I knew what the author is going to say - his perspective on "police brutality, racial politics and the intersection of law-enforcement and some of the poor people of America". It was that, plus a very readable autobiography. Starting with his early life in Milwaukee, Clark makes observations about policing, crime and the law - particularly how they impact the black community. He's definitely a no-nonsense law and order type. While on TV he often sounds a ...more
  • Blacklash: How Obama and the Left Are Driving Americans to the Government Plantation
  • Trusting God When Bad Things Happen
  • The Harvard Classics - Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, Journal of John Woolman, Fruits of Solitude
  • The American Patriot's Almanac
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Vietnam War
  • Endless War: Middle-Eastern Islam vs. Western Civilization
  • Hollywood Hypocrites
  • American Commander: Serving a Country Worth Fighting For and Training the Brave Soldiers Who Lead the Way
  • Driving Honda: Inside the World's Most Innovative Car Company
  • The Age of Reagan: The Fall of the Old Liberal Order, 1964-1980
  • Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity
  • Addicted to Life & Death: Memoirs of an EMT and Deputy Coroner
  • The World Turned Upside Down: The Global Battle over God, Truth, and Power
  • Crisis and Command: A History of Executive Power from George Washington to George W. Bush
  • Comeback America: Turning the Country Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility
  • The Al Qaeda Reader: The Essential Texts of Osama Bin Laden's Terrorist Organization
  • The Battle: How the Fight between Free Enterprise and Big Government Will Shape America's Future
  • War and Decision: Inside the Pentagon at the Dawn of the War on Terrorism
David Alexander Clarke, Jr. was born in Milwaukee, one of five children of Jeri and David Clarke Sr. His father was a paratrooper with the 2nd Ranger Infantry Company. Clarke Jr. attended Marquette University High School.

His career in law enforcement began in 1978 at the Milwaukee Police Department (MPD). He "rose through the ranks at a slow but steady pace in his 24 years with the department." Cl

“doubly” 0 likes