Start by marking “Tornado Terror: True Tornado Survival Stories and Amazing Facts from History and Today (I Survived True Stories, #3)” as Want to Read:

(I Survived True Stories #3)

The Tri-State Tornado of 1925 was the deadliest tornado strike in American history, tearing through three states and killing 700 people. The Joplin Tornado of 2011 was a mile-wide monster that destroyed heart of a vibrant city. The true stories of these two events plus fascinating facts, profiles of tornado scientists and storm chasers create a unique and thrilling nonfict ...more
Published February 28th 2017 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Tornado Terror, please sign up.

AMY
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades 4 and up
157 pages. What a well-written and documented book! This one tells about two of the deadliest tornadoes in USA history - 1925 in Tri-states (Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana) and 2011 Joplin, MO. There are lots of facts, figures and photos to support the telling of these terrifying events. Grades 4 and up will enjoy this one -EVEN ADULTS! Amazing! Highly recommended. BRAVO!
Heidi
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this third book in the I Survived True Stories series, the author highlights two of the worst tornadoes to ever hit the United States. One took place in 1925, long before tornado watches, warnings and sirens existed, the other took place in 2011 in Joplin. Reading about what it was like to be hit by a tornado without the warning systems we have today was a bit scary. The sheer power of a tornado is always stunning and the photographs show that powerfully. On the other hand, Joplin residents i ...more
Nicole Sterling
We love all the I Survived! books in this series, but this is the third in a sub-series of real life stories about actual people who survived, which is always interesting. This one was closer to home than some of the others, because it was about tornadoes (we live in tornado Alley), and one of the two stories was about the Joplin tornado of 2011. My husband was actually sent up there by his employer for a few days afterwards to help, because a branch of the business was up there and had been des ...more
Coleen
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This non-fiction book about Tornadoes geared towards older students was particularly timely with the national news almost daily having Alerts! Breaking NEWS on tornadoes across the United States. The book involves an interesting true story of one family, but notes also the 'worst' tornadoes that our country and others have experienced. There are lots of pictures, photos, newspaper articles, and first hand accounts,as well as explanations of how tornadoes form, develop and travel.

While most peop
Lino
The book i survived is a good book because it is talking a bout extreme weather and how to survived and the book is helpfull to use if your in that and in the book the weather happey in new york times The boy was 11 years old in that EXTREME WEATHER ...
Nicole Longendyke
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
1. Awards: None
2. Level: 3rd-5th grade
3. Summary: "I Survived" reveals true stories about surviving a tornado. It not only tells a story of a tornado survivor, but also the tragedies and struggles along the way.
4. Review: "I survived: Tornado Terror" is a great book for students. It engages them in a story, but includes histories of past tornado's in photographs taken by survivors.
5. Lessons: This book can be used for research projects. It would also be a great supplement in a history lesson. T
Joshua
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sandy
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two stories about tornadoes.

The first story is about the Tri-State Tornado. March 18, 1925, the tornado stormed through three states and destroyed homes, businesses, and stayed on the ground for an amazing three and a half hours. On page 20 the author mentions how the meteorologists were not allowed to use the word tornado in their forecasts because it was too frightening and people would panic.

The second story is about the Joplin Tornado on May 22, 2011. It was 3/4 of a mile wide, went 13 mil
zeroizme
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this analogy from pages 31 & 32, which I felt describes the physical properties of snow very well: "Snow is not just a solid sheet of white. It is made up of tiny particles-bits of water, air and ice that stick together in complex patterns, like lace." The reading goes on to tell how, like lace, a sheet of snow can become fragile if the space between the particles is too wide.

These are excellent books for young readers interested in the science of nature. They remind me of The Magi
Stephanie
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Tornado Terror tells the stories of the Tri-State Tornado that occurred in 1925 and the 2011 Joplin Tornado. The Tri-State Tornado remains the deadliest single tornado in United States history. It killed nearly 700 people across Missouri, Illinois and Indiana. Entire towns were completely destroyed. The Joplin Tornado is the deadliest tornado in recent history. It killed 161 people. The book includes black and white photographs of the damage and tons of interesting information about tornadoes. I ...more
Carrie Gulledge
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The stories included in this book were as well written as all of the others have been; the only reason I gave this book 4 stars intead of 5 is because there were way more typos and editorial issues in this book than in any of the other books. Often, there were multiples errors on a single page; names being mispelled was a big one. Otherwise, if your child is a big I Survived fan, this is a great addition to your collection with lots of pictures and facts about tornados.
Anne
Two factual accounts of devastating tornadoes. One occurred in 1925, the other in 2011. The wide time span between the two events allows readers to see how much has changed in our knowledge about and responses to tornadoes.
Lots of primary source photos as well as maps and "fast facts".
Young readers will enjoy but will also hold appeal for struggling/reluctant readers.
Leslie
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! The stories from 2 tornadoes are covered in this book. The Joplin 2011 tornado and the Tri-State tornado from 1925. I was amazed on almost every page. The Joplin tornado story had me entranced. I thought it interesting that few in Joplin took the sirens seriously because there had been so many false alarms—something that I deal with now every spring. What a fascinating, very quick read.
Nathan Ewing
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even though it wasn't the biggest book I still liked it. Ever since I was little I have been fascinated with tornadoes. This book has tons of fact about these deadly monsters and also has true first person stories. I would recommend this book if you are interested in natural disasters.
Karen Arendt
The text is engaging as it follows one person's story through two different tornadoes. The pictures add so much to the story, especially the Tri-State Tornado of 1925. Young readers get a glimpse into what life was like so long ago and can compare that in photos to today.
Jovonpadilla
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grace Castellucci
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was good. Not like a traditional I survived book, but still good. Would have liked more if in traditional style.
Nic
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Gripping storytelling and impressive research. I haven't yet read any of the I Survived novels, but if they're similar to this, I can see why they're so popular.
Nancy
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting re- learning about newsworthy events and how they affected people.
Rachel
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Laurens work on this series! She does an amazing job communicating the facts of these disasters in language that kids will understand, without terrifying them.
Chris
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was great
Danielle Primé
I read this aloud with my son. While it’s factual, there are parts that are told from a personal story perspective. My son found it incredibly boring-but still educational.
Kim Hampton
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True stories about kids who survived natural disasters.
Kim Hampton
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fascinating look at two deadly tornados and the people who survived them. Great pictures and information.
Kirsten
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one was so interesting to me. I really liked that there were a lot of pictures of the disasters. My son learned a lot about tornados as well.
Hailey Pruitt
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked how Lauren put stories from individuals. Not just research.
Sabrina V
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This a great book if you like tornadoes.
Jayden
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book from the begging to the end was interesting and intriguing I literally could not put this book down. It was so hard I finished it and I would definitely read it again.
Kelly Carey
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This nonfiction book is a companion to the I Survived: Joplin Tornado fiction book. It also includes facts and historical photographs from the the 1925 Tri-State Tornado. I learned a lot of details about both the Tri-State tornado and the Joplin tornado from this book.
Kara Moreland
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book told personal survival stories of three extreme weather cases. The first was from a boy that was riding to his birthday party when the tornado of Joplin, MO hit. It told how he thought he was going to die as the back glass in the truck shattered all over him. The next story was about two boys who were skiing in Alaska in a place that isn't normally skied. It tells how an avalanche buried one of them and the other had the tools and equipment to find and rescue his friend just minutes be ...more

• North: The Amazing Story of Arctic Migration
  • Plants Can't Sit Still
  • Give Bees a Chance
  • Fascinating: The Life of Leonard Nimoy
  • Seven and a Half of Tons of Steel
  • Animals by the Numbers: A Book of Infographics
  • Best in Snow
  • Spooked!: How a Radio Broadcast and the War of the Worlds Sparked the 1938 Invasion of America
  • Millions, Billions, & Trillions
  • Buried Sunlight: How Fossil Fuels Have Changed the Earth
  • Who Is Gloria Steinem?
  • The Most Beautiful Roof in the World: Exploring the Rainforest Canopy
  • Vietnam: A History of the War
Lauren Tarshis often wonders how she came to spend most of her waking moments thinking about disasters, as the author of the children's historical fiction series "I Survived." Each book takes readers into the heart of history's most thrilling and terrifying events, including the sinking of the Titanic, the Shark Attacks of 1916, Hurricane Katrina, the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the San Francisco ear ...more

I Survived True Stories (3 books)
  • Five Epic Disasters (I Survived True Stories, #1)
  • Nature Attacks! (I Survived True Stories, #2)