Start by marking “Lucky You” as Want to Read:
Lucky You

Lucky You

Three women, early twenties, find themselves aimlessly adrift in Erika Carter’s fierce and darkly funny debut novel, Lucky You. Ellie, Chloe and Rachel are friends (sort of); waitresses at the same tired bar in the Arkansas college town they’ve stuck around in too long. Each is becoming unmoored in her own way: Ellie obliterates all feeling with alcohol and self-destructiv ...more
Published March 14th 2017 by Counterpoint

To ask other readers questions about Lucky You, please sign up.

Start your review of Lucky You
Kathy
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
***Possible Spoilers****

Maybe 2.5 stars? I'm not even sure how to review this book. I didn't hate the writing. Actually, Erika Carter's writing is what kept me glued to the story. The story wasn't exactly bad either. It kept me wanting more. Honestly, that is what the problem was, I wanted more.

I did not like the characters at all. I found them to all be disgusting people. I kept waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the characters to be somehow redeemed. I waited for them to show growth and ma
Diana • Book of Secrets
2.5 Stars → I've been debating over how to rate this book. (This was my January 2017 Book of the Month Club selection.) It held my attention, but at the same time I had problems with it. It left me shaking my head, thinking what was the point?

Normally I would pass on a book about twenty-somethings trying to find themselves, but LUCKY YOU is set in Arkansas, and I have a thing for Arkansas, especially the Ozark Mountains. So, I gave it a try. The setting was wonderful, loved the descriptions, but
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Disappinted by how much I did not enjoy this book. It managed to simultaneously be too short and too long. We get so little information or background or even time with these characters, and the couple chapters we do get in each of protagonists' perspectives are enough to make them insufferable. I usually appreciate an unlikable character, but this was just a relentless cycle of crappy people doing literally nothing with their lives other than being crappy.

I can understand why it was chosen for B
Sara Klem
Jan 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Well, for the first time I actually want to throw a book in the trash.
Liz
May 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I won’t say that I hated this book - if that were the case, I wouldn’t have finished it. It was a close thing though. I’m just glad it was fairly short and fit into the few small intervals of time that I had to read this week.

The decent…
The characterizations of Chloe, Rachel, and Ellie, I thought were actually well done. I mean… they’re not people I would want to hang out with, but Carter does an impressive job of fleshing out these young women with real personality and behavioral issues. I cou
Rachel
Jan 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Thank you BOTM for the early release! I am disappointed with this book. The writing style was good, but I feel that the whole plot was a mess, no point to the story. I wanted the characters to evolve more, to me they were flat and depressing, and the lifestyle is pitiful. Wouldn't recommend.
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got the best gift ever for Christmas: Book of the Month Club membership for a whole year! :) First up: Lucky You by Erika Carter.

​A few reviews I've seen for Lucky You mention a lack of character development being a problem for them, but I actually felt like I had an intimate understanding of the 3 women. How better to get an understanding of someone than to see their worst traits, fears, and addictions all spelled out in black and white?

Ellie, Rachel, and Chloe are each tragically flawed, all
Chelsea Bashore
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Oh Book of the Month.

I guess I am glad I had a free credit and didn't pay for this.

Beautiful writing, shit characters, empty ending.
Jessica
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
****Spoilers Below****
Sometimes you just need a book about life. Not necessarily your life, or a life with out of the ordinary circumstances, but a life that is different from your own. That is what Lucky You, by Erika Carter, is for me. There isn’t a big plot twist that screams “got ya!” at the end, or an event that is a catalyst, or even a happy ending. It is just the life of three young women, and all of their flaws, mistakes, and strengths.

I can see how there could potentially be mix
Casey Remer
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, but I found all the characters so unpleasant. I loved the premise, but it was work to get through.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I've had this on my shelf for what feels like forever, and finally just picked it up and read it overnight when I wanted to knock something off of my Book of the Month shelf.

The basic premise is three women in their 20s trying to make sense of their lives in rural Arkansas. It is told in rotating viewpoint chapters, which I like. These are women who didn't go to college and don't make the best relationship choices, and they are drawn to the somewhat radical ideas of the boyfriend of one of the
Dei Bailey
Jan 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
This was one of my picks for Book of the Month. I picked it based on the reviews thinking it was going to be a much better read. The story was hollow for me. The author had the beginnings of great characters and then never fleshed them out. The characters themselves were shallow and where I don't need a happy everything is resolved ending, I did want more. Basically there was no growth with the characters from beginning to end. Perhaps that was the point but, I didn't take anything away from thi ...more
Mariann
Jan 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
I never found the "deadpan humor". Maybe that would've helped. If you want to read a depressing book about miserable twenty-somethings, then pick this book.
Kate
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know why this is getting such low reviews! I loved this book.

Every character is a confused, unmotivated mess who thinks she can change for the better, but ultimately can't. The book is really sad and darkly humorous, and I think it was so well done the way the characters circle back basically to where they originally are and almost unchanged, like they are just stuck in a cycle they *think* is changing for the better each time. But it's not! I loved how much the characters are not aware
Sue
Jan 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shallow. One of those books you read and hope it will get better. I want my time back.
Stefanie
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can see why so many people have given this book lower reviews. The characters felt realistic but were not always likable - it was hard to want to relate to them. And the plot was not conventionally driven. There were plenty of opportunities for conflict between characters, but the narrative largely skipped over all that to resonate in the quiet internal conflicts within each character. It's not a long book, and it doesn't come to a firm - or necessarily satisfying - conclusion.

And yet, there'
Book of the Month
OFF THE GRID BUT RIGHT ON TARGET
By Judge Rachel Syme

Three waitresses at the same dead-end bar in an Arkansas college town try to navigate their fuzzed-out early twenties. Ellie, Rachel, and Chloe all yearn for meaning in different ways, and yet they all converge on a very relatable – and very modern – sense that, even though we’re supposed to feel more connected than ever, young people can still feel adrift in today’s world.

At the beginning of Lucky You, we see our heroines trying to numb themse
Beth Duncan
Jan 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Her writing is beautiful, but the characters are so bland and unpleasant that it was difficult to read. Plus, this is literally a story about nothing. Absolutely nothing happens, it's like reading a depressed and unfunny Seinfeld episode, there's zero plot.
Laura Kisthardt
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
First off, super cool to get early access to this book as a Book of the Month subscriber! I appreciated the unique physical design in this book with the black pages as chapter divides. Overall, the plot moved quickly and the personalities were interesting. But I struggled to empathize with the characters. I felt like the ending left me hanging.
(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ Kasey ♥
I really did not enjoy this book. None of the characters are interesting; they're all people I wouldn't want to associate with if they existed in real life. Also, what was the point with all the haiku? Did I miss something?

The writing wasn't bad, but this book left me with an empty feeling.
Julia
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book much more than I expected to. It did such a wonderful job of laying out that post-college, pre-adulthood ennui and confusion. Especially coming from a restaurant background, this book mirrored how I felt during those years, when I knew I was making mistakes but just didn't care to fix them. I only wish it was longer; I want to know how these women continued to grow.
Joyce Roberts
Recommends it for: Chick lit
Recommended to Joyce by: Book of month club
Where's the story? Tried to like this book but it goes nowhere...three, privileged, boring girls trying to go off-grid, something given to us as a researched rather than experienced scenario. Decent prose but without imagination of language or story. And what's with all the blank pages?
Geraldine
Jan 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was definitely not for me. It was beautifully written but unfortunately there wasn't a plot. The story lead to nowhere and I really had high hopes. The concept of "un-health" and going off the grid is great but the presentation and ending result just didn't do it for me ☹️
Kim
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The book itself was descriptive and you could really imagine the scene. The problem was the characters were unlikable and the plot really didn't seem to go anywhere. After I finished I just found myself wondering "What was the point?"
Erica
Jan 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
The writing was good but the story was miserable. All of the characters were under developed and I had no sympathy for any of them. The title is also a reference to the zipper on Lucky brand jeans if that tells you anything. This was the worst book I've received from my Book of the Month Club :-(
Felicity
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wanted so hard to laugh at the characters in this book until I saw worst self reflected in one.
Rea Nicole ✰
3 women.
One café.
Multiple inner demons.

Lucky You follows 3 women from Arkansas as they navigate post-collegiate life with anything but grace and dignity. After reaching an emotional dead end, Chloe and Ellie decide to join Rachel in the Ozark Mountains to capture true “health.” Health is a way of living doctored by Rachel’s charismatic yet cult-like boyfriend, Autry. Here they renounce their vices from the “old world.”

The survivalist aspect of this book definitely had my intention but while
Shannon
After reading some harsh reviews, I was less than thrilled to start this one, but went into it with and open mind and was pleasantly surprised. Perhaps it's because my expectations weren't high to begin with, but I did enjoy this read. I thought the characters were realistic in their flaws and the way they float through their early twenties with a loss of direction and purpose. There aren't any plot twists or big revelations, but more of a simple plot line of their lives and the choices they wis ...more
Aryn Foland
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
First off, thank you to Book of the Month Club for the early access to this book!

Characters: I didn't love any of them, I didn't hate any of them. It was an easy, enjoyable read and I believe the author did, in part, what she set out to do by reminding us of the feeling of needing to get away and escape, but how ultimately that is an impossible task. Your problems follow you wherever you go. But at the same time, it made me think about the idea of picking up and leaving your life, starting compl
Amy DiVincenzo
Jan 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to read Lucky You and had high expectations for it after receiving it as my BOTM Club pick for January. The synopsis sounded interesting and relatable to me, as I often daydream about how Iife might be different if I were anywhere else but here.

However, I was disappointed with how different this book turned out to be than what I expected. There is no real plot to the story, but I continued to read, anticipating that some kind of climax was bound to happen. Unfortunately, it never

• The Possessions
  • Atomic Love
  • Swimming Lessons
  • My Former Heart
  • The Blinds
  • This Isn't Happening: Radiohead's "Kid A" and the Beginning of the 21st Century
  • The Girl from Blind River
  • We Went to the Woods
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth

News & Interviews

“The quieter you become, the more you can hear,” 1 likes
“I can’t believe how drunk I used to be. And hungover. Constantly one or the other. An awful cycle of escape, despair, escape, despair. Add a little self-hatred and utter panic into the mix. Anxiety that you feel in your head and physically, in your chest, like you’re being crushed.” 0 likes