Start by marking “What a Waste: Where Does Garbage Go?” as Want to Read:
What a Waste: Where Does Garbage Go?

What a Waste: Where Does Garbage Go?

What a Waste! answers the question: when we throw something away, where is “away”? Ever since cave people cracked open seafood shells for dinner, humans have produced garbage, and we’ve had to figure out what to do with it. What a Waste! explores the history of garbage from earliest times to today, covering subjects including dumps, human waste, water pollution, “problem” ...more
Published March 14th 2017 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about What a Waste, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What a Waste

Mischenko
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a Waste: Where Does Garbage Go? is a book that teaches everything you want or need to know about garbage.

I'm really amazed at how thorough this book is. There are so many facts even adults can learn here. The reading is probably best for older children as the book is jam-packed full of information. It covers:

-Where garbage goes
-How it's stored
-Recycling
-Composting
-Statistics
-Smart people with smart ideas
-What we put down the drain including sewer information
-Garbage we create in the growin
Wayne McCoy
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
'What a Waste: Where Does Garbage Go?' by Claire Eamer with illustrations by Bambi Edlund is a book for young readers about garbage and the problems it creates.

As long as humans have been around, there has been garbage. A history of garbage is given as well as the current problems, from large greasy clots in sewers to plastic islands. There is plenty of gross out science and lots of awareness of the problems we face. Along with the problem are innovative people who are finding solutions, like th
Beyond the Pages
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Don't think it strange that I loved this book. I did! It was informative, entertaining, illuminating, and quite frankly brilliant. Who knew that waste could be explored so creatively? I certainly didn't. I'm so glad that I was given a chance to review this title. This is the type of book that I would add to my keeper shelf in my home library. I see so many ways of using it with my family for educational purposes. I think anyone who reads this will raise their level of consciousness about waste a ...more
Ryan
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read. It is very comprehensive but still fun. Plus the little info,bits are great. I will forever remember what “pure” is. I love that the book is based on two questions: what is garbage, and what is “away”. The this books sets out to answer those questions. A great book for all library collections.
Carolyn Woods
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Garbage has always been produced by humans - though the amount of it is defnitely going up in modern times! Archaeologists look at the garbage left by prehistoric civilizations to better understand how the lived, and some day the same may be done by future scientists trying to understand more about our generation.

Different sources of garbage are discussed in detail - including food waste, industrial waste, plastic waste, and the issue of old electronics. Issues with landfills and dumps are discu
Ana Calabresi
Finally someone wrote a book about a question that I had for a long time! The language is super accessible and easy for kids. The amount of research involved is amazing! The illustrations are beautiful. I particularly like that each chapter is divided into small "articles", it makes it for a lighter read, not too heavy on the scientific aspects. It also presents day-to-day examples of how garbage surrounds us all.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an advance copy of this book.
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is so informational and well written. Where our garbage goes, however, is a very deep issue to think about. We recycle and are thoughtful about reducing our footprint but I ultimately had to stop reading the book, it was making me dwell on the issue and have a grim outlook on my children's future and their potential children.
Harriette
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Comprehensive and kid-friendly treatment of the subject of waste including past, present and future. It is also filled with stories of people/nations that are making a difference to address this important but often hidden issue.
Claire
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was SUPER informative for the size - only 77 pages. I learned so much and it really opened up my eyes to the scary amount of waste in this world - but it also offered a lot of solutions or ways to greatly reduce or greatly reuse waste.
Simon Shapiro
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly researched with fascinating "who knew?" information. Simply and clearly written. Although it's aimed at kids, it's readable, enjoyable and educational for adults, too.
Christine
Michelle Windell
Apr 09, 2018
Kirsten Vega
Jul 01, 2017
I'm a writer of non-fiction for kids, mainly science and a little history. My books are published by Annick Press and available through all the usual commercial distributors, including major online bookstores. I also write children's magazine articles, popular science articles for adults, and do a variety of contract writing, mostly related to science. "