Start by marking “Time, Talent, Energy: Overcome Organizational Drag and Unleash Your Team's Productive Power” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
NA
Published March 7th 2017 by Harvard Business Review Press

To ask other readers questions about Time, Talent, Energy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time, Talent, Energy

Stephen Redwood
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Business books are like self-help books. They generally speak to a reader who is looking to find a magical solution to finding a more productive and meaningful set of outcomes. They also have to take a set of complex variables and distill them down to an easily memorable essence that denotes where to focus ones energy. The number of elements can seldom be singular - too simplistic, nor binary - not enough credibility, but three is a perfect number - enough to indicate a degree of complexity whil ...more
Aleksey
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
The concept that is described in this book:
Productive power of your organization = Talents + Energy - Organisational drag

The authors disassemble each of the components in very clear and structured way while supporting the explanation with the examples from the practice of modern companies like Netflix, AB InBev, etc.

I loved the first sentence of the Energy chapter: "No one ever washed a rental car", which illustrates perfectly the reason why a lot of people are not inspired neither engaged in b
Rodrigo Acras
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Ok
Andrew Hill
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
My Financial Times review: https://www.ft.com/content/1ca3d524-f...
Roger
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent advice for minimizing the organizational drag!
Great book with practical advice and recent research to develop solutions in organizations, so that they can implement their productive power and become a more competitive company. A few years ago a new perspective on company success has been emerging and the focus is now on staff as human capital, where it is intended that investing in its development will result in economic gains and benefits for the organization. That is why it is vital
Darren
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Boosting your company's performance cannot just be achieved by throwing money at it, even though capital is relatively cheap and available. Instead it can come by having a great, focussed, empowered and talented team working in unison.

This book tries to turn around common thinking, offering a mix of practical and theoretical advice to great effect, by leveraging collective, quality actions. The authors consider what can slow a company down, as well as what demotivates and disincentives its emplo
Margaret
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was mostly a rehash of things I've read before but was packaged with a large dose of pretentiousness and business lingo. Two Bain guys want to impress you with their erudition and marvel at best practices that in many cases are more gag producing than inspirational.

The point that tipped me over the edge was their description of the Spotify culture of agility. They wrote: "It lowers the cost of failure through a decoupled architecture, so that a failure has a “limited blast radius” and
Claudia Yahany
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Por alguna razón llegué aquí y para variar tenia altas expectativas. Me esperaba algo tipo Build to Last o Good to Great, pero tendré que leer otro de Jim Collins.
Entre los libros de innovación y estrategia, queda claro que donde están los recursos está la estrategia. Y el recurso humano casi siempre es el más importante. En resumen, aquí dice qué hay que administrarlo, desarrollarlo e inspirarlo. Pero no hay un rumbo claro, para variar.
Me quedo con dos premisas (aunque este libro no dice cómo r
Toyin A
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it

This book focused on helping organisations/businesses/leaders manage time, talent and resources with the same care applied to managing financial capital.

There are a number of practical advices given. My attention was drawn to the '3 ways to simplify your operating model'. I read that part repeatedly as it brings to light the complexity involved in making simple decisions.

The writers also made a point of demonstrating how assembling the right people for a task yields more output and productivity
Allisonperkel
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Powerful book on leadership. It's amazing to look back on my career and the places that were awesome followed the basic idea of this book. The places that weren't awesome ... Didn't follow.

Fair warning: reading this will cause you to question how you can constantly inspire those around you and make you want you work with companies that inspire you since that's a prerequisite to inspiring those around you.

Cynthia
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Read this one for a book group at work. I did a lot of thinking "yes, I can see that" and "yes, that makes sense."However, for the level I'm at in my organization, I didn't find most of it to be very applicable. I wasn't inspired, nor did I find any takeaways of things to really work on in my day-to-day job. I did think it offered line of sight into the direction our upper leadership may be taking, as this was assigned reading at the highest levels.
Mustafa Abulrub
the book talks about three elements that help achieve the optimum performance of a company and stop what is called "drag" also it touches upon talent, obtaining and maintaining talents and ways to polish them.
it emphasizes the need for engagement and enthusiasm so that people feel ownership and accountability at work.
pretty good book to open ones mind on such concepts but I dont consider it and eye opener to how this is achieved.
Steven Raft
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insight into how to leverage your team

I was recently contemplating writing a business book about how to harness your employees' attitude, passion, and energy to create a radical shift in the company. Now I don't have to because this great book deals with the same issues wonderfully.
Hitesh Bhuraria
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
The book helps to bring into focus and be aware of organizational drag and culture. Aspects often neglected by managers. However, would have loved to see a more solid data driven approach to the topics. It would also have made for a more compelling read.
Charmin
Highlights:
1. “Decision Rights” for who decides what.

2. Recommend - course of action

3. Input - IT dept

4. Agree - legal and compliance

5. Decide - accountable person

6. Perform - execute to get results

7. Clarity - who is accountable for important decisions. Well-defined decision roles.

8. Shrink the pyramid

9. Responsibility vs. Authority

10. Organizational Drag - unnecessary complex layers that slow down productivity.
Erik Abelsson
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love the clear concept of the book with one simple model that lays the foundation for the whole book. Provides both toretical frameworks as well as very good real life examples.
Scott Wozniak
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's not wrong, but there's nothing new and it's way too academic/corporate in its language. Ended up being a boring read.
Kathy Cowie
To be reviewed in the May-June issue of Global Business and Organizational Excellence.
Charles Franklin
This book was great! Instead of focusing on money as the key differentiator in business, it focuses on something different, scarcity. The authors contend that the way businesses manage their scarce resources determines how their business will run.
Ryan O'Connor