Start by marking “The Gravedigger's Son” as Want to Read:
The Gravedigger's Son

The Gravedigger's Son

“A Digger must not refuse a request from the Dead." —Rule Five of the Gravedigger’s Code

Ian Fossor is last in a long line of Gravediggers. It’s his family’s job to bury the dead and then, when Called by the dearly departed, to help settle the worries that linger beyond the grave so spirits can find peace in the Beyond.

But Ian doesn’t want to help the dead—he wants to be a
Published September 26th 2017 by Sky Pony

To ask other readers questions about The Gravedigger's Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gravedigger's Son

Start your review of The Gravedigger's Son
Megan Mancinelli
A Beautiful new voice in the literary world. It's impossible not to fall in love with Ian and his bony mentor.
Rebecca McNutt
In The Gravedigger's Son, Ian Fosser is struggling to tell his father that he doesn't want to learn the family trade. Ian comes from a long line of diggers, undertakers who help the deceased move on, but he has different aspirations than apprenticing in a trade of death. When he meets a deceased boy who needs his help, his adventures lead him to consider his own path and how to reach what he wants. This book is a dark read, but a fun and interesting one.

While I did enjoy it, I would have liked t
Kim
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile, horror, arcs
Ian spends most of the first half of the book drifting in the wake of stronger personalities. While that's certainly in character for a boy who's afraid to tell his father he doesn't want to apprentice in the family business, it makes it really difficult to care what happens to him. Paragraphs upon paragraphs of expository worldbuilding (in the guise of lectures from Ian's teacher and friend and even the antagonist) didn't help, and by the time the plot kicked into high gear, I was already disco ...more
Mark Buxton
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My name is Ian, and I want to be a Healer, not a Digger. My ancestors have answered the Call for centuries and have helped restless souls move to the Great Beyond. I didn't think I had the ability until Fiona urged me to give new life to Thatcher's skeleton. We then followed the Pumpkin Trail into the forbidden forest, and an old woman said she needed my blood to complete a terrible spell. Now, I've learned this Weaver is my grandmother and wants revenge against my family for losing her daughter ...more
C.J. Milbrandt
Ian comes from a long line of Gravediggers, those who preside over burials, care for the plots of the departed, and fulfill their requests so they can sleep in peace. As an only son, it's Ian's duty to follow in his father's footsteps, so he's training every day to become a gravedigger himself. Only he'd really rather become a healer and help the living.

Undead tutors and voice catchers. White hair and grinning skulls. Obsidian shovels and pumpkin paths. Keeping the code and waking the sleepers.
Diana Iozzia
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
“The Gravedigger’s Son”
Written by Patrick Moody
Review written by Diana Iozzia

“The Gravedigger’s Son” is very reminiscent of the scary stories by R.L. Stine mixed with “A Nightmare Before Christmas”. Reading this the day of Halloween and the week after, I felt very in the holiday spirit, nice and spooky. I was very lucky and very grateful to receive the hardcover copy from Mr. Moody himself. His book is great, but the illustrations that coincide work so well together to tell the story of little I
Robin King
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For a middle grade book, this one had all of the elements of a ghost story with just the right amount of adventure and happy endings. Ian is born to follow in his father's footsteps to be a great Digger for the dead, but he wants nothing more to be a Healer for the living. When he's forced to Speak and help send his new little skeleton friend to the Beyond, Ian has to decide if he can give up his dream of healing to save his friend and follow duty.

There is a bit of a "creepiness" factor to this
Randy
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was hard-pressed on whether to give this 3 or 4 stars.

The story is about a boy who feels trapped following in the footsteps of his ancestors, who have death with the souls of the restless dead and sent them along to the afterlife. The action is centered around the vast graveyard the boy's family is charged with caretaking. The boy has to grow up fast to keep an evil witch from screwing up, well, everything.

As a parent, you'll need to judge the maturity of your child before allowing him or her
Jim
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book had a lot of potential, but it never grabbed me until it was almost over. For a MG book the plot was entirely too complicated, or, at the very least, too drawn out through the entire tale. By the time we understand what happened, the tone changes from quasi-gloomy, sorta-creepy over to warm-and-cuddly family saga, with no real ending. Ian is not the best main character, he is too thinly drawn and unassuming. Granted, you don't need to be all lookatme!! to be a lead, but he was ...more
Tony
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Patrick Moody’s debut novel “The Gravedigger’s Son” was another absolute belter, telling the lonely tale of a ten-year-old boy who is the son of the local gravedigger. For generations that go back for hundreds of years Ian Fosser’s descendants have always had this same job, which he will inherit from his father in due course. However, Ian would rather work with herbs and study, escaping the generations old family traditions, which is one of the main themes of this wonderful novel. Ian is tutored ...more
LitJoy Crate
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing

There is a bit of a "creepiness" factor to this
Mortisha Cassavetes
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I read this book as a challenge read for #spookathon 2017 - "Read a book with orange on the cover". I love spooky books set in graveyards and I really enjoyed this story. A very unique twisty tale about a Gravedigger's Son and him learning the lessons of being a Digger like all his family members before him. This is a coming of age story with lots of creepy. It follows Ian and his journey in finding out who he is, who his friends are (living and dead) and all the deep dark family secrets. Lots o ...more
Artemis Crow
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, my gosh, run, don’t walk, to buy this book! Yes, this is a middle grade book, but as an adult who is decades past a middle grade due date, I thoroughly enjoyed this world, this story, and the characters. Ian Fossor is a delight and so relatable. Bertram, oh Bertram, I wish I had had a friend like you when I was a child, no matter how “unique” you are. I started the book late in the evening, the plan being to read no more than half, then finish it the next night. Ha! Once I started I couldn’t ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book since I had never heard of it before and received it in my Halloween box from litjoycrate but I really enjoyed it. This book was a really cute story about a boy struggling with living up to his family legacy of becoming a digger or being true to himself in wanting to be a healer. I felt like his struggles in whether or not he should be true to himself are something most of us can relate to. On a less serious note I loved Thatcher and all the mischief h ...more
Rachael (foreverxbookish)
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun, Halloweeny read! It had a dark and eerie atmosphere but the action and adventure was almost cinematic! I could see this being a movie. It was a little predictable in places but the rest made up for that. Some of the characters were a little obnoxious but they all had redeeming qualities which I really liked. I wasn’t expecting to enjoy this as much as I did, but I’m glad I’ve read it!
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Constance
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great ghost story but also explores how one can not always follow in the footsteps of one’s parents. How we each need to make our own way and anything less could put our very life in jeopardy. An excellent complement to The Graveyard Book and The Night Gardener. Just scary enough. More suspenseful than frightful.
Alissa
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I often don't like to read middle-grade novels because afterward, I feel like I ate candy for dinner (sweet but ultimately unfulfilling). This novel feels like a full, well-balanced meal. The story is interesting, the characters 3dimensional, there's fantastic growth, and there's depth and emotion that honestly shocked me to find in a school for this age. I HIGHLY recommend.
Scott
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the way this story built from a fairly slow start, through building action, to an emotionally satisfying finish. This was a fun read, and I hope it gets a lot of attention when it hits the shelves.
A.J. DeJong
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun adventure!

This was such a fun adventure!! It’s a great read all year round and even more perfect at Halloween! Graveyards, skeletons, the rising dead and magic, -who could ask for more? I would/will certainly recommend this book.
Mindy
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was alright. I didn’t have time to read it straight through so that might not have helped with the flow. Felt too full of dialogue and disjointed. The mystical part wasn’t explained well and felt awkward and rushed.
Mercedes
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good read! Reminded me of Neil Gaiman, but for kids. A little scary at times, but nothing too terrible. Some parts in the middle of the story dragged a bit, but overall, it was a solid story. Would absolutely recommend.
Pat Knight
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the The Gravedigger's Son, Patrick Moody created a unique world with lots of rules, like "A Digger must not refuse a request from the dead." But Ian does not want to be a Digger, he wants to be a healer. It is a griping tale and the illustrations aid the story.
Carrie Martin
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Spooky and magic with heaps of heart. Loved the 400-year-old teacher with his falling-off body parts (who I envisioned as a gruff but kind-hearted Yorkshire man). Took me a bit to get into, but once I did, I was hooked.
Ivory Baron
This book is one of my favorites. It has everything - magic, witches, the undead, creepy scenery - and Fiona was an awesome female role model. Love the characters and their relationships, and how the boundaries blur between the dead and the living.
Adelas
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Creepy with some occult, but light enough for kids.
Vicky Reads MG
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Will write review soon!!!!!
Leah
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Terri
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I hope he writes more.
Mark
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy and fun read

• The Key to Extraordinary
  • Goldilocks
  • The Secret Files of Fairday Morrow (Fairday Morrow, #1)
  • Petey
  • The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing (Mo & Dale Mysteries, #2)
  • Legacy and the Queen
  • Ghost Money (Eric Carter #5)
  • The Boy With a Drum
  • Dead Voices (Small Spaces, #2)
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • A Snicker of Magic
  • The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Ghosts of Tsavo (Society for Paranormals, #1)
  • That Night in Lagos (Society for Paranormals #0.5)
  • Magic Redeemed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #2)
  • A Greyhound of a Girl
  • Liesl & Po
Patrick Moody is the author of THE GRAVEDIGGER'S SON, Coming August 1, 2017 from Sky Pony Press, in which an 11-year-old boy must reluctantly embrace his ability to speak to the dead after awakening the inhabitants of the graveyard his ancestors have spent centuries tending.

He lives in Connecticut.