Start by marking “Roller Girl (Lake Lovelace, #3)” as Want to Read:
Roller Girl (Lake Lovelace, #3)

Roller Girl

(Lake Lovelace #3)

Recently divorced Tina Durham is trying to be self-sufficient, but her personal-training career is floundering, her closest friends are swept up in new relationships, and her washing machine has just flooded her kitchen. It’s enough to make a girl cry.

Instead, she calls a plumbing service, and Joanne “Joe Mama” Delario comes to the rescue. Joe is sweet, funny, and good at
Published July 23rd 2016 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Roller Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roller Girl

Vanessa North
Mar 12, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Roller Girl is the third story in the Lake Lovelace universe, and it is an F/F sports romance with a trans woman as the MC. It is a stand alone category-length novel, and it runs concurrently to Rough Road in the Lake Lovelace chronology. You do not need to read Rough Road or Double Up to understand what's going on, but characters from the other stories do appear in this one. :)

Writing this book and visiting Lake Lovelace again was a treat for me--I hope you enjoy it!

as always, happy reading!
x
Wart Hill
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Things I Find While Shelving

I received a free ARC via NetGalley

This book has left me with a lot of feels. I'm not sure how much of it I can actually articulate. It was amazing to read a book like this, to see Tina's journey and the growth of her relationship with Joe as they both deal with their own issues and come together. It is a gorgeous love story and so beautifully written.

There are two moments I want to focus on because they hit me hardest.

The first is when Ben is talking to Tina about do
K.J. Charles
A really fun f/f about two players on a roller derby team. I don't usually do sports romance at all and roller derby sounds terrifying, but I really enjoyed that aspect of the book. And the female friendships in it were just brilliant. So satisfying to read books about women getting on.

Tina and Joe were both lovely characters, though Tina occasionally came across as a bit of a mouthpiece for trans issues. Which...I sort of feel this is down to where we are as a society more than anything else,
Gaby
Jul 28, 2016 added it
Review Removed
Pixie
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shira Glassman
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trans, femslash
Review originally appeared on The Lesbrary. To me, Roller Girl by Vanessa North is a roller derby book that includes a lesbian romance, rather than being a roller derby romance; there was a lot more going on in the book besides the relationship between Tina and her girlfriend–a lot that in my opinion enhanced the book and broadened its appeal. I’m no derby girl, but the game shines through the book–its appeal to Tina in the beginning, her anticipation as she auditions, the friendships she forms ...more
Dahlia
This was super cute - roller derby + f/f + a trans MC + some super-solid dirty talk = like, how can you NOT

I really need to go back and read the earlier books in this series, but also fingers crossed that Vanessa North's got more f/f coming up!
Julio Genao
this

this is happening to me
K.
I picked this one up for 2017 Diversity Bingo. One of the challenges is to read a romance with a trans main character. Many people are reading If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo, but I read that (and loved it!) last year and I wanted to read something else rather than reread that.

This one was recommended by someone on Twitter, and it certainly fits the bill.

Tina is MTF and recently divorced. Her ex-wife took care of all the house-y stuff, so when her washing machine breaks down and floods th
Rain Merton
How did this novel manage to be so so sweet without tipping into saccharine?! Lovely characters, really varied human portrayals, where no one is cardboard cutout in either direction are only part of what makes this book a total balm to the soul.

The real bonus: the deftness with which North interweaves gender realities and politics within the narrative so naturally, that it becomes part of the plot. That she manages to undertake queer politics without an ounce of sanctimoniousness is a true meas
Ariadna
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Actual rating is 3.6

Given that Vanessa North wrote this novel, I had a feeling that I was going to like it. North has a tendency to write characters who are sweet and complex (regardless of their gender and/or orientation.) Somehow, she manages to keep them from becoming too perfect or boring.

This is one book I’d kept my eye on since it was first published this year. I ended up enjoying it a lot.

What I liked

+ Tina

Tina is the kind of character that I want to hang out with. I connected with her fr
Kristie
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 Roller Derby Stars!!!!!

To start, a little fangirling... Vanessa North has quickly become one of my favorite authors. Roller Girl is a prime example of just why that is. Her stories so truthful and the writing so real. She’s on my one-click list… the one where I one-click the pre-order, no matter if I get a review copy. I’m giddy for her, if you can’t tell.

I loved the first two books in the Lake Lovelace series. In each of those books, I got to know Tina a little bit. I knew a little bit about
Anna (Bananas)
Overall this was a good read. I zipped through it. (Actually finished 2 days ago.)
I liked the derby stuff and the romance, although it was a bit quick. The relationship really needed more development. The sex scenes were good, but more emotion and chemistry would have given them weight.

I was surprised Joe had no questions or shyness or anything about being with a trans woman. I mean, surely the plumbing works a little differently than with a cis woman? It was nice to read a positive tra
A.W.
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Tina Durham is recently divorced and is currently trying to find a way of taking care of herself. She meets plumber Joanne "Joe Mama" Delario when her washing machine needs fixing. All goes well and Tina is invited to a date, sort of. Turns out that Joe had ulterior motives and invites Tina to try out for her roller derby team that she coaches.

Tina sees it as a chance to develop female friendships that she never had before. Meanwhile, her relationship with Joe becomes more than just the player
Rafa Brewster
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, light read. I liked the main characters but wasn't necessarily sold on their deep connection (deep sexual attraction, sure). It was really easy to relate to Tina's character, who is trans, and her part was very well written. Joe's character was not as well defined, and there were times I didn't like her, but she was definitely a cutie. I also enjoyed the roller derby aspect, which was both fun and functional. I would probably categorize this as a HFN and not an HEA. Overall it wa ...more
Mel
review and rating removed
Kaila
Where this book falls on the motor revvin’ scale:

Sweet: This book could be read by Puritans without blushing.
--->Sensual: A few pages of sexy time, but mostly story.
Hot: NSFW but safe enough for the bus if you hide the cover.
Erotic: Oh my.

Short and poignant little book. I cried a lot, not because it was sad, but because it was sweet. Gender issues really get to me sometimes. I want people to be happy, and there's so much unhappiness when it comes to sexual and gender identity. I think this bo
Ellie
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Well, that was nice and sweet but I expected more. I wanted more intensity and depth and while it was all positive and heart-warming, it also left me feeling meh and disconnected.

Full review:

This is my first f/f romance, rather trans f/f romance and I liked a lot of things about this story but there were also some elements that did not work very well for me.

I generally enjoy Ms North's writing, the way she builds this ordinary, often sweet, life for her characters is a bright light in the mids
Olivia Chanel's Galaxy of Books
Thank you Netgalley and Riptide Publishing for my e-ARC of Roller Girl!

Roller Girl is a story with heart. It’s a story that’ll make you smile and feel all warm and fluffy inside. What I love the most about this book is how well done it is, this lesbian romance is about so much more than just love (which all in itself is absolutely amazing). Roller Girl is about companionship, friendship and women supporting other women.

"Wearing the team shirt makes me feel like part of something larger than myse
Katie Dingo
Jun 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: lesbian-romances
Tina Durham is recently divorced and learning to deal with the details of life on her own. She is also trying to negotiate the world as a woman, having recently transitioned.

Tina was a professional wave rider and whilst she keeps fit as a professional trainer, she misses the wild ride of competitive sport.

When her washing machine floods, the plumber she calls turns out to be a sexy woman who asks her out on a date. And to add to her appeal, Joe (Joanne) is also the coach of a local roller derby
Maria
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ready-steady-ray
Amy Cousins
This book made me really happy. The romance is both sweet and sexy and Tina is a fantastic heroine who I've been rooting for throughout the entire Lake Lovelace series. But more than anything else, this book made me miss my girlfriends, my best friends. It's a book that values female friendships and the community of women, and everything about watching Tina find derby and her crew made me happy. These women are funny and fierce and caretaking. They fight sometimes, but they also support each oth ...more
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
Ahhhhhhhh *keeps shouting because this book was so awesome* You guys need to definitely get this book tomorrow like...

- It has roller derby THAT SAYS ENOUGH AND BECAUSE OF THAT YOU NEED TO BUY IT
- But if you need more bullet points to convince you okay
- MC is a trans woman who is too cute too pure for this world + she has a dog name Elvis okay that's adorable
- GIRL POWER
- Joe is Tina's coach and dayum things get so romantic and sweet and hot and *SJDHSJDSHJ*
- I got so happy to see characters fro
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book Lovers, I am a lover of Vanessa North!
Really love this story, I really loved the characters new and old. Very well developed, I loved the authors writing style. I enjoyed the story, and I found myself wanting re read the whole series from the beginning. Another great book that makes you feel happy when reading, Roller Girl by Vanessa North was great ride!

Oohh and the girl on girl, was kinda hot too! Love is Love People!

Arc from Net-galley through the publisher

PNR Book Lover Reviews
Iben
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
It's a really cute f/f romance, and for me, it's in line with the rest of the books in this series. It's good solid work, but the romance was a bit underdeveloped, I felt. But the fact that the narrator is a trans woman and she gets to find both women friends, and find a woman lover is FUCKING LOVELY, AND I LOVE THIS BOOK FOR THAT.

The book is centred around a team sport for women, it's also a wonderful story of friendship between women, and women supporting and lifting each other up. The trans p
Aleksandra
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely quick easy read and I enjoyed the book a lot.
The romance is sweet and relatable. Good pacing and just enough of drama.
I love the protagonist Tina and her puppy Elvis. Tina is a transgender former wakeboarder and now she's a personal trainer and roller girl-in-training. She's amazing person and I'm glad I got to meet her.
The whole sport thing was exciting but even after finishing the book I haven't really understand how roller derby works (shame on me). The book is full of wond
Leah
Yet another incredible book from author VANESSA NORTH takes us on a beautiful, emotional ride full of female friendship, the excitement of roller derby, stunning characters and dynamics, an adorable puppy, and the full gamut of human emotion.

One of my most favorite scenes is after Tina's first bout when a little trans boy comes up to meet his new hero. The scene is heart-warming, and I hope others are able to find a hero in Tina as well.
Carey
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I need to be honest here. I really only bought this book because I have a compulsive need to finish the series that I start.

As a straight cis woman I wasn't expecting to like this book at all, and I was right. Instead, I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED!!!
Nick
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great popcorn fiction!! Much more explicit than I thought it would be and I wish I hadn't been reading it in public.
  • Lead Me Not
  • Documenting Light
  • Counterpoint (Twisted Wishes #2)
  • Gays of Our Lives (Queers of La Vista, #1)
  • Straight Shooter (Rear Entrance Video, #3)
  • Unfit to Print
  • The Love Song of Sawyer Bell (Tour Dates, #1)
  • Uncovering Ray (Ellery College, #1)
  • Hamilton's Battalion: A Trio of Romances
  • Far from Home (Belladonna Ink, #1)
  • Treasure
  • Long Macchiatos and Monsters
  • When to Hold Them (Bluewater Bay, #9)
  • Briarley
  • Don't Feed the Trolls
  • Coffee Boy
  • Adrift (Cruising, #1)
  • Looking for Group
Author of over a dozen novels, novellas, and short stories, Vanessa North delights in giving happy-ever-afters to characters who don’t think they deserve them. Relentless curiosity led her to take up knitting and run a few marathons “just to see if she could.” She started writing for the same reason. Her very patient husband pretends not to notice when her hobbies take over the house. Living and w ...more

Lake Lovelace (3 books)
  • Double Up (Lake Lovelace, #1)
  • Rough Road (Lake Lovelace, #2)