Start by marking “Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #2)

Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles #2)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  22,011 Ratings  ·  611 Reviews
In this exciting sequel to The Fire Within, David must uncover the truth behind the mysterious clay dragons. David's quest is to discover the link between the fire of the last known dragon on earth and the icy regions of the Arctic. It's a journey that will change his life forever, a journey that will bring him to the very heart of the legend of dragons and the mysterious, ...more
Published by Scholastic (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Icefire, please sign up.
Sarah You have to read ALL books! These get deeper and better each story!
Sarah Actually, if you pay very close attention and read between the lines, it is very self explanatory. I have read the whole series twice now and the…moreActually, if you pay very close attention and read between the lines, it is very self explanatory. I have read the whole series twice now and the first time it was hard for me to follow. If you pay very close attention to what you are reading, it isn't hard. (less)

Lori
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 9 year old daughter brought this book home for me to read. She told the school Librarian that she was checking it out for me, and the Librarian let her check it out as her 3rd book (they are only allowed 2 books) since it was for me.

I loved this book! It was so well written. I loved the characters, even Aunty Gwyneth, who was soooo creepy. I loved the clay dragons, and wish that I could have a few of my own!! Who wouldn't want a wishing dragon, a listening dragon (you could really spy on peop
Chris
May 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 2.5/10

...This is just plain bad. It fixes everything that was wrong with the first book, and then proceeds to boil it in a spiritual, cosmic tale that is much too confusing and poorly executed to be put in a children's book.

Let me put it this way: I read novels about time-travel, alternate realities, and spiritual matters, and NONE of them are anywhere near as confusing as this book. It is simply an underdeveloped plot, and it doesn't help that the writing is fairly poor as well.

Also, t
Ival Ty Crisp
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stunning ingenuity of Chris D'Lacy expresses itself once again in the second installment of the Last Dragon Chronicles. In this continuation of the plot, David finally discovers the secrets of the Pennykettle Dragons, along with the uncovering of a link between polar bears and and dragons of ancient times. Icefire is indeed a step up on the maturity level compared to The Fire Within, yet the childish innocence of the first book manages to carry over as well.

One aspect of the book that reall
Anthony
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 11th-grade-q-4
This book is an okay book. That is my hook. This book is not a very good one, because it is very boring, and can lead to spontaneous sleeping spells. Chris D'Lacy wrote this series of dragon books, without the dragons. There are dragons, just not as a person would think a dragon is.
This book is about a man named David living in a house with his landlord and her daughter. The landlord creates clay dragons that David soon realizes come to life, and have a purpose. David goes to find the origin of
15andrewsb
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lauren Wiseman
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

Icefire was definitely a step up from The Fire Within. Going from squirrels to polar bears was a smart move on d'Lacey's part.

Zanna started out being my least, least favorite character. I could not freaking stand her. But then she lost what made her aggravating and she became worlds better and I now support her relationship with David.
Lucy has a Luna-on-caffeine angle to her, which I just now realized. While she's not my favorite character, I still think she improved in
Christopher
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joshua
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really entertaining with many twists to it. I could relate this text to the real world, because of how the story is set in the perspective of a tenant with a really interesting landlady and her dragons. This is similar to the real world because different families have different beliefs and can have many really interesting stories.
Daniela
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, this book was very disappointing. I expected so much more. When I was younger and reading this series, it was so much better. Maybe it's because I've grown older. But I honestly hated this book. I don't see me reading the rest of the series in the future.

The romance did not make sense and the plot was just too boring. As people say it was cringeworthy. I'm so sad that these books don't excites me anymore.
Niranjan Joshi
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Icefire, by Chris d'Lacey, is a 426 page long children's fantasy novel. The book is about a boy named David. He is renting a room from Elizabeth Pennykettle, her daughter Lucy, and their mysterious clay dragons. In the epic second installment of the Last Dragon Chronicles, David must find the link between the dragons and the Arctic, and the secret of the icefire.
I personally loved Icefire. It was an extremely captivating book. The author’s fast paced writing style kept me turning the pages. F
Cherif
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Third choice book second quarter:

Icefire is a great book, Icefire has a lot of action and even more then the first book. In Icefire there is a little drama, a lot of danger, and some adventure. The reason why I said there is danger is because of aunty Gwyneth or really Gwilanna the dragon that wanted the fire tear that Guinevere had caught when Gawian had dropped the last of his spark. Near the end of the book when Liz was about to wake up from her deep sleep a lot happened one David had met all
Seanh2012
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequal to the first book, "The Fire Within", "Ice Fire" can only be described as a great improvement. I liked all the same things but i think what is best in this book was the suspence, the new characters and the conflicts. Those are the things i didnt realy find in the first book.
The first thing i like is the suspence in the story. The first story was realy setup for the next ones and in the firt book the suspence and climax doesnt come until the end and Ice Fire keeps the suspence going
Mike Benliyan
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Icefire by Chris d'Lacey is one of the best books I have ever read. The book always had you thinking about how each piece of information effects the present and the future. In the book the main character, David, went through battles, polar bears, and special dragon magic. In the last book David thought that the clay dragons were inanimate objects but now he finally realized that they were more than that. He discovered that each dragon was half alive: meaning that each dragon had their o ...more
Everet
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Icefire, by Chris d'Lacey, is about David trying to find the fire tear of Gawain, the dragon. The story begins with David talking to Dr. Bergstrom who is the polar bear, Loral. David, with the tooth of Rengar, tries to find Gawain's tear before Gwilliana, the Sybel, steals it to make a new, real dragon. With the help of Greth, the wishing dragon, Grace, the listening dragon, Grettel, the potions dragon, and Gadzooks, the writing dragon, David sets out to the arctic to the Island of the Tooth of ...more
Siobhan
In all honesty, these are books that are fun at the time of reading them but as you get older they quickly lose their allure.

I’ve always enjoyed dragons books and because of that I think it took me longer to realise it is a rather repetitive read. Not that such a thing really matters all that much with children’s books, so long as the child is engaged with the story, but as I worked my way through the series they seemed to lose their fun somewhat because of this.

By the time I reached the fourth
Lena
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ...more
Dayna Smith
In this sequel to The Fire Within, David must uncover the secret of the clay dragons to save Liz and Lucy from the evil clutches of the sibyl Gwilanna. He must discover the link between the Arctic polar bears and the fire of the last dragon Gawain. He must also deal with two girlfriends, a strange visiting college professor, a white hedgehog, a pushy publisher, and Mr. Bacon next door. An enticing sequel, sure to make you want to read more of this series. It's a very fun read even with the globa ...more
Mr. Gottshalk
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the characters in this book were more interesting than "The Fire Within". The aunt is not who I thought she would be! I really liked hearing about Professor Bergstrom and Zanna, who turned to be... David's girlfriend! She cleaned her act up after acting like a Goth.
Barbara
2nd book of 3. Started reading because it was given to Wyatt. Cute book about a lady how makes clay dragons and they become real and a student that comes to live with her and learn about the dragons and the history behind them
Rio Benassa
I liked the book because their was dragons in the book and they were made out clay. It also had facts about medieval times. It also talked about ancient polar bears.
Eliana
Mar 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed the first book things began to take a turn in this one. Just not as intriguing I guess. I stopped reading the series on this book! Bummer. . . .
Hanna
Oct 12, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
No Comment
Luna Lovebooks
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Likes: While The Fire Within was a great introductory book, Icefire is the perfect beginning to the meat of the series. Lucy makes her first dragon – a wishing dragon. David names him and so the dragon becomes his, and after making a bizarre wish, things get a little crazy. This novel is a quick moving story that never quits with the intensity of the story and interesting plot devices never waver. I like that we get a closer look at the dragons and their personalities. We also get introduced to ...more
Caden Hutchinson
This book was very interesting, I was expecting a story all about a boy going out and slaying a dragon, but instead got a book about how humans interact with dragons. The characters are very developed and the plot has many twists and turns. The two things that I didn't like about this book though was how much information they gave you at once, it often got confusing and hard to tell what was going on. It also has a lack of description in the setting, this is a very important part of the book, ca ...more
AMY
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
over 432 pages; I read only 108 pages. and cannot add this to my elementary collection. It has a storyline with a college student named David Rain who is involved with a girlfriend he is considering moving in with. Later a girl from his college department aggressively pursues him - grabs him by the neck and kisses him. This is just not appropriate subject matter and age appropriate characters for elementary kids. The first book in the series was weird but ok. This one is NOT! Definitely NOT reco ...more
Sarah McPherson
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kaylan
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I found it a lot more enjoyable and exciting than the first. This was more of the story I wanted in the first.

However, David is a two-timer and that made me pretty angry, especially since it was never truly shown as a wretched thing to do.

Also honestly this series I probably would have liked a lot more when I was younger. I don't know if I'll bother continuing from here. The writing and the plots of both just still don't quite mesh with me.
Chibueze Ndukwe
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a sub-par book. I usually read books before I go to sleep or nap, but I avoid it to stop myself from sleeping and never waking up. Sure, this book influences dreams, but they aren't the way you believe them to be. This story is very confusing. It takes a lot of willpower and brain power to read this book. How is this a children's book? Overall, it needs a lot of work.
Deborah Dempsey
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
Much better than the first! Thank goodness! And the story was actually about dragons! And some polar bears, a hedgehog, and a cat... but that was okay, because as I said before, there were dragons! Itty-bitty dragons, but still, dragons! I am still a bit confused on the polar bear/dragon/ice tear/tooth of Ragnar/ sibyl background story but hopefully that'll become clearer in book 3.
Sarah Telling
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
It had been a while since I finished the first book so it took me a while to get into this. With how this picks up, I needed to read this closer to finishing the first book. I still got into the story and very much enjoyed though. Can't wait for the next one!!
Gretel's Choice 4 10 May 11, 2014 09:10AM
this book rules!!!!! 5 20 Dec 29, 2013 04:22AM
Did you Like this Book? 14 16 Apr 13, 2013 01:34AM
Can I start with this one? 8 23 Jul 03, 2012 09:35PM
Awsome 3 15 Nov 08, 2011 08:33AM
  • The River of Wind (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #13)
  • Hatching Magic (Hatching Magic, #1)
  • The Dragon's Eye (Dragonology Chronicles, #1)
  • Shadowgate (Dragons of Deltora, #2)
  • Back To The Divide (The Divide, #2)
  • Garden of the Purple Dragon (Dragon Keeper, #2)
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)
  • The Rise of the Black Wolf (Grey Griffins, #2)
  • Dragon Rider (Dragon Rider, #1)
  • Dragon Flight (Dragon Slippers, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Sock Drawer (Dragon Keepers, #1)
He was born in Valetta, Malta, but as a child moved first to Leicester and then to Bolton. After gaining a degree in biology from the University of York, he returned to Leicester and got a job at the University of Leicester in their Pre-Clinical Sciences department.
Originally his writing was confined to songs and he didn't turn to fiction until he was 32. His first piece of work was a 250,000 word
More about Chris d'Lacey

The Last Dragon Chronicles (7 books)
  • The Fire Within (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • Fire Star (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #3)
  • The Fire Eternal (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #4)
  • Dark Fire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #5)
  • Fire World (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #6)
  • The Fire Ascending (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Final Six
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
    $10.00 $1.99
  • Orphan Island
    $9.00 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Stories have a unique power, David. The Inuit believe they can capture souls.” 15 likes
“The more we nurture the planet, the better and more natural a life we'll have.” 13 likes